/mizɑ̃ˈplas/

Chef's Kiss
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

T H R E E

Words of the Day – “Mise en place”

 

Eleven years ago

Miyoung peeped through the small crack of the opened door of her father’s office. The jerk was here again, using the office as a public library. What's with him? She could never understand. Does he not have internet at home? She knew the jerk lived alone but that’s not a great enough excuse to come here every chance he gets.

Her father wasn’t even here, he was out on a meeting.

“What do you need, Ramyeon?”

She momentarily hid behind the door again before realizing that she did not need to hide in her own home. Why would she? He was the trespasser—well, not technically, Mrs. Jung gladly opened the door for him. She pushed the door wide open before stepping in with a sour frown on her face. “Why, can’t I also hang out in my father’s office? Jerk.” She whispered the last word before striding to one of the bookshelves to look for a book that she certainly didn’t even need at all.

“I’m just doing a research assignment; I needed some books and fast internet. Your dad knows I’m here, don’t worry.”

What could he be researching? All he did in school was cook. How can people even call it school in the first place? She could never appreciate it. Miyoung leaned by the shelf and glared in his direction. The nerve to sit on her father’s office chair like he was some kind of boss. “Don’t you have homework to do too? Like for ethics or home economics, you certainly need to work on those.” He finally looked up while poking one corner of his mouth with the pen he was holding.

The slight smirk on his face wreaked some kind of tightness into her stomach so she looked away.

She always wished he wasn’t way too good-looking so it’d be easier to hate him. He’s twenty-two for God’s sake, she shouldn’t be feeling anything else besides loathing. Ever since he came into their lives when she was nine, her father’s attention had certainly diminished to her benefit. Her old man adored the guy like his own child and it always bothered her. As an only child, she never thought she’d ever had to compete for her father’s attention.

It reminded her of the time when he was in the military two years ago, it was the best time of her life. He wasn’t always around and she didn’t find him too handsome—he was bald at the time. She didn’t like the bald look on him. She thought he looked like the head of a match and she could imagine it getting lit with fire until he looked like Hades from the cartoon version of Hercules that she loved watching.

But now … he had all his long hair back, those side-swept bangs that almost covered his dough-like eyes. He had gotten more mature around his face. His choice of clothing had changed drastically—although she still thought it was just as tacky as he was annoying. But one thing that changed the most was his voice. She couldn’t explain what kind of sorcery it was but his voice just got deeper and deeper by the day. A lot of things had changed for the past two years and Miyoung wasn’t liking one bit of it.

She liked it better when it was easier to look at the guy and instantly despise him.

“So, you’re just going to hang out here and stare at me?” His traumatizingly deep voice made her jolt in defense.

She squinted her eyes at him before stomping to the table. She picked up a piece of crumpled paper from the trash bin and threw it at his face. “Can’t you at least wait until my dad gets back instead of acting as if you live here too? You’re so annoying.” She interrogated which only made the guy lean more comfortably on the office chair. “Have you been experimenting with makeup or are you very very blushed right now?” His smirk increased into a bigger one and that was it for her. Miyoung shoved herself closer to him and started tussling him while he fought back by cupping her fists in defense.

Suddenly, he stopped restraining her and she dropped sharply right onto him. She quickly pulled herself away while cringing and flattening her shirt. “You clearly know I could report you, right? You did that on purpose! I’m only thirteen, you ancient weirdo!” She pointed at him accusingly.

He was ancient. He was old and gross. He smelled weird. He was old.

 Unfortunately, she only received a smug laugh from the guy. “I didn’t do anything, Ramyeon. You’re the one attacking me, I could report you instead. You’re going to a juvenile prison, you want that?” He took out his phone and flipped it open before pressing it against his ear. “Hello? My name is Doh Kyungsoo. Is this the police station? I have a report to make against a kid who is crushing on me. She tried to attack me. She can still go to jail, right?”

“You think that’s still going to work on me? You’re obviously pretending. I’m not a child anymore—ugh! I’m going to tell dad that you wrestled me, just you wait, he’s going to stop helping you with your schooling and he’s going to fire you and find a better dishwasher.” She grabbed another piece of crumpled paper and threw it at him before finally heavily walking to the door to leave.

“Oh, . Someone’s actually calling—” She stopped to glare at him as he answered his phone. A smile quickly formed on his lips as he rested his elbows on the edge of the table. “Hey, Sera. Oh, yeah, I was just calling beca—because your brother, uhm—well, Seho wasn’t answering his phone and we have a project and I was just—sorry, did I bother you? You didn’t have to call me back.”

The creases on Miyoung’s eyebrows deepened as she watched him stammer through the call like an idiot, a wide grin on his face permanently plastered as if he was talking to a celebrity. Who was she? Were they close? Why was he smiling like that? What did she even look like? Was she pretty? Were they the same age? She looked away quickly from the last question that ran through her head.

“Oh, you’re on a break? That’s cool. Uhm, well … I guess I shouldn’t have called, I just thought maybe you were with Seho or something. But … thank you.”

Miyoung looked at him again and their eyes met. He began waving his hand sharply as if shooing her away and it made her frown even more. “Who’s that?” She interrogated and folded her arms. Kyungsoo only pressed his index finger against his lips to motion her to stay quiet. “Okay, bye-bye. Ye—yeah, thank you. Enjoy your lunch! Bye.” He bit his bottom lip before flinging the phone away from his ear and stare at the screen for a good ten seconds before looking up at her again.

“Sorry, that was … that was my buddy’s sister,” He leaned on the chair while rubbing his chest. “She’s so pretty, Ramyeon. I got nervous when I realized she was calling. Do you know that feeling? I mean, you’re still a kid so what do you know, but still—it’s hard to explain, it’s more complicated than a crush.” He squinted his eyes at her while wagging a finger. “I’m going to make her my girlfriend someday. She’s so kind, she’s so caring, she’s—”

“And she’s probably annoying too. Good for you, you found your match.” Miyoung cut him off.

Kyungsoo frowned at her but shifted back to a forgiving smile quickly. “Someday, you’ll understand me, Ramyeon. Do you like any boys at your school? I’m sure you do. When you feel all giddy inside and you can’t control it no matter what you do? That’s when you know you like the boy. So? Anyone making you feel giddy inside yet?” His tone drastically changed after that brief phone call, as if they weren’t just wrestling a while ago.

Miyoung looked away before grabbing the doorknob. “Ew, boys are gross. You are gross.” She hissed before leaving, banging the door closed. She leaned on it and exhaled the breath that she has been holding for who knows how long.

If giddy was what makes it a crush, then she was in big trouble.

 

 

Present day

She briefly settled her palms on his chest and he looked at them, his eyes flaring slightly.

“Oh, really now. You’re going to kiss me? Do it then.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter