/rəʊst/

Chef's Kiss
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

O N E

Word of the Day - "Roast"

 

Present day

Miyoung’s face sank in dismay when an unknown man showed up in front of her, holding up a sign that had her name written on it.

She was waiting for her father. She was only expecting her father. He broke his promise. Just like last time, two months ago, on her graduation day, when he moved his flight to Toronto because of some business trip that he absolutely had to accept for the restaurant’s sake. She dimly remembered him showing up at the auditorium of the university just before the whole ceremony finished—he rushed straight from the airport and barely made it at all.  

Was it a surprise for her? No. Was she even hoping that he’d actually clear his schedule to make sure he’s the one to pick his precious daughter up from the airport? Also, a definitive no.

“I’m Seon Byungchul, Mr. Ra’s personal assistant. Welcome back to South Korea, Miss Miyoung!” The man greeted as if it wasn’t the first time they’ve ever met. So scripted.

“Let me guess, my dad got stuck with a load of crap again?”

“No, Miss Miyoung. Actually, he was originally going to pick you up as promised but he got stuck in traffic with the head chef on their way home from Daegu. The two of them attended a food fest as special judges. Your father didn’t want to risk making you wait so he sent me instead.” She gave the man a fevered stare upon the mention of head chef. Clearly, he really didn’t know her that much yet—or else he would have not dared to remind her of such disappointing creation of God.

“And your point is?”

Honestly, what was this man fighting for? A load of crap equalled the head chef—she already said it herself, right?

She crossed her arms on her chest and waited for him to reply. When she didn’t get any more response other than anxious um’s and uh’s, she passed him her carry-on bag before snapping her fingers, signalling him to push her baggage cart and lead her out to the car.

A cool, dry autumn breeze hovered her face when they stepped out.

The season was just in its early stages but she was already looking forward to winter. Not because she loved it but because for the first time in almost six years, she wouldn't have to deal with heavy pins and needles type of winter anymore.

Oh, Canada, indeed.

Finally, a one-way ticket back home. She had sacrificed a lot, deciding to study abroad in a respected university and work her off to acquire a degree that could still secure her place in the family business despite her disgraceful lack of niche in cooking … or just food in general.

In her own words, food is merely for survival purposes. That mindset alone was already a big shame in her family’s business.

She was never a passionate food lover like her father. And she certainly could have never perceived herself as a chef … like her mother was.

Her mother was an amazing chef. A passionate one. Everyone loved her food. A lot of people idolized her, not only for her talent in cooking but also for her grace and beauty. She was an angel on earth even before she got certified up there—those were just some of the things, amongst all others, that she has heard her father say about the amazing person she never got to meet. She passed away giving birth to her—such a tragic event happening in such a tragic way. Every year, on her birthday, she gets reminded of it.

She gazed out of the window as the car began moving, driving past a line of trees, dried-out leaves falling to the ground. Aesthetically soothing.

Her mind got conquered by thoughts of the future; all the plans, all the goals she had made to become one that her father could be proud of.

Originally, she had plans of expanding her experience in Canada after graduating. She wanted to build her portfolio and resume more before going back home and showing everyone what she has to offer. All of those wonderful plans got destroyed by the likelihood of the head chef, Doh Kyungsoo, partnering or worse, possibly taking over the whole restaurant later on. It was stated by her father himself and she just had to make the bold move of moving back home permanently to claim what’s rightfully hers.

There was no way someone who wasn’t even related to them by blood would have such the privilege of owning the restaurant her family had worked so hard for. What was her father thinking? There was just no better answer than, Doh Kyungsoo completely got in his head and manipulated him into thinking that he deserves it more than his own daughter does just because he cooks well.

Her father was undeniably gullible. Not because the dude came from a place that his late wife loved going to for charities didn’t necessarily mean that ‘she sent him from above.’ Pure bull. Not because he apparently had the same passion for cooking as his wife didn’t automatically mean he deserved the restaurant. More pure bull served hot.

Owning a restaurant and managing a restaurant were two different things; more than just flipping steaks and stirring pots or whatever the he did in the kitchen.  

Hate was a strong word but she was going to use it anyway.

She hated Doh Kyungsoo, utterly and perpetually. She had spent half of her life honing her skills in despising and de

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter