/ˈmæsəˌreɪt/

Chef's Kiss
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

S I X T E E N

Word of the Day – “Macerate”


 

A variation of reds and ambers painted the trees surrounding the rows of chocolate-coloured cabins. In front of each cabin was an open space where guests could put up tents right by the built-in barbeque stations. Kyungsoo hopped out of the rented van first before the other employees followed out.

Their team only had to rent one van since a few of them decided to drive their own cars.

Words of admiration burst into the parking space as the employees compressed in a bunch while checking out the beautiful scenery around them. Three more cars, later on, followed through, parking on the nearby spaces beside the van. Kyungsoo specifically eyed one of the vehicles, being Choi Soobin’s, which Ra Miyoung had picked as her source of transportation. The two women stepped out of the vehicle and approached the group. Next came his sous chef, Kang Minho followed by Kim Minseok out of their respective vehicles.

“Wow, this is awesome.” Kyungsoo caught Minseok’s high-five just in time as he ogled the place with delight on his face. “You guys start helping on unpacking the food and other boxes at the trunk of the van.” He instructed them before shifting his full attention back to Soobin and Miyoung who were right behind them.

“How was the drive here, Soobin?” He asked but his gaze was somehow fixed at Miyoung who just stood there in silence, a big frown plastered on her face.

He wasn’t surprised by the mood radiating out of her. One thing most people didn’t know about her was that she wasn’t good with travelling long distances. She had motion sickness and had tendencies of throwing up even after taking medication for it. He knew it was the reason why the woman didn’t want to join the van where more people could potentially see that vulnerable side of her.

Soobin flashed him a nervous smile as she glanced at Miyoung. “Well, not too fine, Miss Miyoung was—” He lifted a hand to stop her from mentioning it. “It was a bit cloudy at first, thank god it didn’t rain, right? I hate driving in the rain. Especially on the highway.” He changed the topic before gazing back at the sickly woman again.

A part of him wanted to just … take her away from here, away from the people, and let her loosen up a bit first. Her lips were a shade of pale pink, a deep line creased on her forehead and her eyes were quite red, possibly from throwing up a lot of times.

If he didn’t have a bigger role in this trip, he would have driven alone and let the other employees drive the van for themselves. He would have taken Miyoung with him instead. Maybe she would have felt a little bit more secure and comfortable being in such a vulnerable state. Soobin rubbed her back while peering down her face. “Miss Miyoung, are you o—”

“I’m fine—don’t … just don’t touch me, please.” Miyoung finally spoke with a hoarse voice.

Kyungsoo motioned Soobin to just let it go and join the other staff. Once the manager was gone, he took out something in his pocket and handed it to Miyoung. “I knew you were gonna be like that, so here. I didn’t know if you got yourself some.” It was a pack of medicine for nausea and motion sickness. He also took out a big bottle of energy drink from his duffle bag and passed it to her. “The meds should also knock you out for a while, just take a nap. I will check you in first. Let’s go—”

A booming sound from a distance caught everyone’s attention and they looked towards the entrance of the parking lot. A black pick-up truck drove in, blasting loud music from the inside.

“Who’s that?” Miyoung faintly asked.

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes as he turned to the other staff who were chuckling in admiration as they stare at the same direction. “Of course, he gets the grand entrance. I bet he waited until everyone’s here first.” He muttered to himself.

Choi Soobin hopped back to their side with a lovesick grin b on her face. “Wow—I really love it when he uses his pick-up truck. It’s so cool.” She pressed a hand against . Miyoung shifted her gaze from Kyungsoo to her. “Oh—that’s Baekhyun?” She asked as if figuring it out just by seeing her reaction.

The driver’s side of the truck opened and hopped out a man in a terribly undersized black long-sleeved shirt that hugged his body and was tucked in a pair of ripped jeans that had a chain dangling on one side, over his hips. Aviator sunglasses. Hair all whipped back in a wet look. Watch on one wrist and a layer of more accessories on the other including rings on his fingers, completing the whole look with a pair of tan brogue boots.

“Oh, god, make me disappear from this. I don’t want to be a part of this.” Kyungsoo dipped his face in both hands as the man took the spotlight and approached them while bouncing his car keys in his palm.

As soon as the man settled right in front of them, loud cheering from the staff started echoing on the open ground, as if it were some opening of a big game.

Kyungsoo dropped his hands to his sides and unwillingly looked at the man of the hour—Byun Baekhyun.

“It’s fifteen degrees. No crazy sun from what I can see right now. Do you have pink eye, perhaps?” He asked the man who coolly adjusted his sunglasses slightly lower against the bridge of his nose and looked at him with a lowered gaze, one corner of his mouth turning up for a smirk.

“Hi.” He replied.

The majority of the female staff unsuccessfully stifled their shrieks while some men cheered even louder.

Really? A simple Hi could get this douchebag that much response? Kyungsoo never understood the hype. Ever since this one started working in SCORCH, female servers always fought over the later shifts just to work at the same time as him. Even the men always approached him to ask for a ton of advice about women, as if he was a certified expert of the female anatomy or something.

“Anyway, just start unpacking. If you have stuff in your car too, just ask the other guys for help.” Kyungsoo decided to kill the fun and get straight to work.

Instead of following his order, however, Baekhyun took a few steps back and raised both arms. “Who wants to be in my team and help me unload my cargo bed?”

Immediately, the female staff all swarmed towards the man. “No, that’s not how we’re doing it, we’re gonna put our names in a box and the—” Kyungsoo failed to finish his argument when they all just walked away with Baekhyun back to his pick-up truck.

“Wow, I knew the staff are secretly crazy about him during work but I guess being out of work makes it worse. I mean … I don’t see many men driving a huge truck here anymore. It’s kind of cool, I must admit. I wonder why he picked a truck instead of those sporty ones that guys always want.” Miyoung responded with a slight smirk on her face.

“Oh, now you decide to talk more? I guess you don’t need my energy drink anymore. Mr. Sunshine over there provided all the energy to you already.” He stretched his hand out to retrieve the drink only to earn a glare from her.  

“Yeah … he’s so cool and handsome and everything.” Soobin clasped her hands together under her chin as she admired the man from afar, in a complete daze and is most likely talking to herself at this point.

Proceeding to detest the commotion over the cool guy, Kyungsoo snapped his fingers to get the two females’ attention. “He probably uses his truck as a motel. God knows what has taken place on that cargo bed, I wouldn’t want to touch it.” He ridiculed but instead of earning the reactions he wanted, Miyoung remained silent though a smile threatened to curve upon her face.  

Turning to the other guys behind him, he motioned them closer. “Hey, go help him. Why is he letting the girls carry those cases of—wait, why is there so much alcohol—hold up!” Kyungsoo shrieked in terror as he watched the staff take out cases of alcohol, in variety. “Wait. Freeze! Just freeze for one second.” He yelled and everyone physically halted all movements to look at him.

“Baekhyun, you’re not a bartender for this trip. What are these? We’re not working. We’re on a weekend trip, we’re not getting faced drunk.” He stomped his feet towards the truck.

Baekhyun finally flung his sunglasses off as he chuckled. “Uh, you are not getting faced drunk if you don’t want to. And like you said, we’re not working so … nobody’s a boss here, technically,” He crossed his arms to his chest while slanting his gaze over Kyungsoo’s shoulder. “Miss Miyoung right there could use a little fun, haven’t seen a smile on that pretty face of hers since we first met.”

Kyungsoo raised a finger and took a step closer towards him. “Don’t even try,” He warned. “Whether we’re working or not, she’s still our boss’s daughter. And our boss will always be our boss, even if he’s not here. Have some respect and don’t even think of making a move on her.” He lectured with finality in his tone.

A huge part of Kyungsoo felt like a massive hypocrite for even saying that but things just had to be said.

Baekhyun, to his surprise, leaned close to his ear. “You first, chef.” He chuckled before walking away carrying his luggage of bartending tools.

Tension quickly grew on his chest as he glared at the man’s back. What did he mean by that? Did he know something that he shouldn’t know? Instead of letting that slide easily, he followed Baekhyun. “Care to elaborate what you mean by that?” He asked, blocking him completely from walking further towards the cabins.

“Oh, come on. Man to man, we both know you have the hots for her. I’ve noticed it since day one. Don’t worry, your secret’s safe with me. I’ve had my own shares of forbidden desire.”

An intense silence filled the small gap between them, most of it coming from him. No one had ever straight-up said something like t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter