/breɪz/

Chef's Kiss
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

T E N

Word of the Day – “Braise”

 

Kyungsoo braced himself for the likely interrogation from the old man as they made their way into the office. Wonsuk’s grip on his shoulder was especially firm today or he might also be overthinking it at the moment. Was he? He sure hoped he was.

What was he thinking? He should have been extra careful with the way he approached her since they were in the vicinity of the restaurant where eyes were everywhere—eyes that would loyally report anything to Ra Wonsuk. What on earth came to him? Everything was a massive blur the second he caught her wounded glare.

He had always enjoyed aggravating her. But somehow, that last interaction with her about the paintings triggered a part of him that he never really entertained before. Being questioned about why he did what he did fluster him severely. He never really thought about it either. He just did it, like it was a natural response for someone who genuinely adored her … for her talent.

She could be the most appalling person ever but she could also be the most beautiful one—especially whenever she did what she loved to do, which was art. For all those years that they’d known each other, all those times that they’d squabbled and fought over the stupidest things growing up together, he’d never stopped admiring what she did, or what she was—an artist.

If anything, he remembered always sneaking a peek into her art room every time he was in for a visit and she was way too distracted and focused to hate him. Those were rare times that he refused to waste.

He always seized every opportunity to witness that side of her even for a split second.

He remembered the first time she started doing art seriously. It was her fourteenth birthday and he had no ing clue what to buy her for a present. He got her the most boring sketchpad ever because it was on sale. That was it. That was how it started. It was a boring way to discover one’s calling, to say the least. But somehow … he always took pride in being the person who enlightened her about what she could become, without even trying. Miyoung would probably beat the out of him if she found out that he got that sketch pad solely because it was on sale. It was unintentional in his part.

Nevertheless, it turned out to be a beautiful gift. And that was why it bothered him when she changed when she stopped … when she gave up.

“So,” Wonsuk’s voice made him jolt out of his reverie. “Has Miyoung been giving you a hard time lately?”

A hard time. Kyungsoo pressed a palm on his ear as he collected himself for a good answer. “Uh—no, Boss. It’s okay, I can handle her.” He shook his head for extra assurance. The old man gazed at him for a good ten seconds, enough to cause unbearable tightness in his chest. “Of course, I know you can. She’s like a sister to you already. I’m just worried about you two. I don’t want you guys to be fighting forever especially after you take over the restaurant. Even after I’m gone, you two would still be in each other’s lives because of the restaurant, no matter who takes over.” Wonsuk heaved a heavy breath as he looked away.

Sister. Kyungsoo’s body rejected the word. It didn’t sound right. It felt wrong. He had never … considered her like a sister. Not even when she was a young kid. Not now, especially.

They kissed. She kissed him. The memory alone flustered him once again and he adjusted himself so he wasn’t facing the man.

“Well, hopefully, she’s going to find someone soon and settle down. I know a few people in the industry that would love to get to know her but I don’t really want to go that way as much as possible unless she wants me to. She’s still young, she still has a lot of time to find the right person on her own terms. But it’s good for her to do it early especially when I’m getting really old. I still want to see my grandchildren, you know?” The old man chuckled, seemingly embarrassed for admitting his worries.

Kyungsoo swallowed hard but he managed to nod. “Yeah, for su—for sure. Definitely. Grandchildren, that sounds … fun.”

He didn’t know why but he started losing breath the moment the word grandchildren was mentioned. Did he say that on purpose to warn him? But it wasn’t like they were doing anything wrong. It wasn’t like he was going to do anything further than how the man had caught them. He grabbed his old coffee from the table and drank the rest of it, it was bland and cold but he didn’t care anymore, he needed something to push the lump in his throat.

“Anyway.” Kyungsoo felt a firm hand on his shoulder paired with that same meaningful look. “Just go easy on her, okay? She’s still adjusting here; she was away for a long time after all. Once she has settled in completely, I’m sure she’d figure out what to really do with her life. Right now, she’s way too focused on the restaurant for no reason but you don’t have to worry. So far, I still believe you’re the best candidate for this restaurant’s sake.” Wonsuk advised. “I love my daughter very much but … lately, she’s just proving to me even more that she’s not good enough for this.”

A familiar discomfort consumed Kyungsoo. He never enjoyed hearing the old man talk about her in such a way. There were a lot of other ways to guide her to the right path that was meant for her but this wasn’t one of them.

“Please don’t say that about her. I don’t think it’s because she’s not good enough, Boss. I’m sure if she does give it a go, she’d still do well. It’s just that it’s not what she truly wants to—” He paused when Wonsuk’s expression changed, his eyes squinting with curiosity. “Do you like her, Kyungsoo?” The question slipped out of Wonsuk’s mouth like a dagger.

A stupid laugh grunted out of Kyungsoo’s mouth, his body leaning over while he rubbed his thighs to hide the distress. When Wonsuk’s face didn’t falter, he immediately stopped laughing and regained a straight face. “I don’t see her that way, Boss. I guarantee you.” He replied firmly.

His boss nodded, clamping his mouth in a tight line before letting out a big sigh. “Good because I don’t think that’s a good idea for you. I really care about you, Kyungsoo. You’re like a son to me but … it’s just not going to happen. I know about you and your issues about creating a family and I just don’t want the two of you to get hurt. Okay? Don’t worry, I trust you, I just had to ask because I care. I'm not worried at all, actually.” The older one laughed. "And besides, we both know how much that silly girl dislikes you for no reason. But as much as possible, don't show your little feud in front of everyone, it doesn't really look cute anymore since you two are grown-ups. You two should get along for the restaurant's sake."

Wonsuk then stood up, giving him one last tap on the back before walking to the door with the papers in his hands. They

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter