/graɪnd/

Chef's Kiss
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

T H I R T Y – T H R E E

Word of the Day – “Grind”

 

When Kyungsoo grabbed the door to go out of the basement, Miyoung’s grip loosened on him. He turned his head to look at her hesitant frown. “Are you just gonna hold my hand? The staff—” She paused and looked away, attempting to hide the blush that he had already seen. Kyungsoo took a step lower and snuck his arm around her hip. “The staff is the least of our worries right now.” He muttered as he allowed himself to scan her features that he had already missed as if he hadn’t seen her in days.

“Actually, Baekhyun said—” Miyoung cleared loudly. “He said all the staff kind of know but kept quiet about it this whole time.”

No, . Really? Kyungsoo couldn’t help but grunt from shock. Were they that bad in hiding it? He couldn’t think of a single thing that could have possibly given it away. It was hard for him to believe. “Oh, come on, he’s probably just making up. If the staff knew, your dad would have known by now.” He laughed.

“I’m still here, guys! And no, I’m not making up. See for yourselves.” Baekhyun spoke up from downstairs of the basement. Kyungsoo peered his head lower from the ledge of the ceiling to peek at the guy inside. “If I don’t get fired today, you’re in serious trouble Byun Baekhyun. I don’t know what you’re doing in there in your pyjamas but if I find out that you’re sl—”

Kyungsoo felt Miyoung’s warm hands cup his face as she turned his head to make him look at her. “So, we’re not over, right?” She asked, her eyes glittering with worry.

A part deep inside of him softened as he touched the back of her hand, accepting all the emotions her touch was giving him. He felt terrible that he had given her that idea today. He was well aware that he could have at least texted her but he wasn’t ready to face her until now. Maybe it was him being selfish but he badly needed the space to sort things out in his mind once and for all. But never had he ever considered ending it with her. Never.  

He smiled and rested his forehead against hers. “I’m sorry.” He his thumb on her cheek and down to the corner of . “I’m sorry about everything. About last night. About how I acted and I ca—”

His words broke apart when she kissed him, claiming his mouth like it was the first time all over again. Heat fizzed in Kyungsoo’s throat like champagne and he found himself melting in her lips. This was it. This was worth fighting for. She was worth fighting for.

A high-pitched but husky humming from the basement echoed causing them both to stop. “Ugh, Baekhyun. When will you ever just shut the up?” Kyungsoo groaned as he looked down, spotting the man right at the end of the stairs watching with a wide grin on his face. “What? I’m just providing background music for you two. Come on, keep doing what you’re doing.” The man wiggled his eyebrows excitedly.  

Miyoung broke into laughter as she also turned to look at the man. “Just ignore him. Let’s go.” She said before taking a step higher and pulling Kyungsoo with her this time. When they came out of the basement, some staff immediately spotted them, particularly their interlocked fingers.

Kyungsoo swallowed hard as he waited for any comment but there was none. The only things that they had gotten the whole way until they arrived in front of Soobin’s office were knowing smiles and respectful nods from the staff. Holy , they did know. “Hm, I guess Baekhyun wasn’t lying this time.” Kyungsoo heard himself say as he grabbed the door to the office.

Miyoung pushed the door open and peeked inside. Soobin was on the phone speaking to someone. When the manager spotted them at the door, she quickly ended the conversation with the person whom Kyungsoo would assume was one of the dealers, just from listening to their conversation. “Alright, goodbye!” Soobin put the phone down and looked at them, her eyes quickly travelling to their hands.

“Hey, chef. Oh, you found her. What’s up, guys?” She asked with a cheeky smile.

Kyungsoo’s whole body loosened down as he leaned on the door frame. “I cannot believe you all know.” He said and lifted his hand together with Miyoung’s. “Since when did you guys know that there’s something going on?” Miyoung joined the conversation.

Soobin leaned on her chair and casually twirled it facing their direction. “Kind of—uh, I think at the cabin? We kind of felt it but we weren’t sure then and it just naturally escalated into us confirming that it must be real like three weeks ago.” She explained and laughed. “But since we have a great deal of respect for you, head chef, and to you Miss Miyoung, I’ve asked everyone to keep quiet about it and just leave you two alone.” She added and lowered her head for a quick bow.

“Well.” Kyungsoo looked down and chuckled bitterly. “I really appreciate that respect but … you guys might lose me today.” He revealed and looked at his hand still tightly gripping Miyoung’s. He stepped into the office complete with her and shut the door behind them. “But you’re probably already aware of what’s been happening, you know, with the Hwang family and Miyoung’s dad. So, I know that … this won’t be taken well by our boss.” He explained.

Soobin’s face softened into a sympathetic frown. “Maybe if you guys just explain it well, he would—” She paused as if realizing her own suggestion wouldn’t work.

Kyungsoo felt his girlfriend’s grip tightening as she the back of his hand with her thumb. “I’m not worried so don’t worry yourself, Soobin,” Miyoung said with a firm tone before looking at him. “That applies to you too.” She added like a boss.

After bidding goodbye to their manager, the couple headed straight out of the restaurant. Instead of separating and letting Miyoung go to her own car, Kyungsoo dragged her along to his car. “I want you with me the whole way because—” He paused and pulled her in, his hand softly caressing her cheek and his touch naturally falling to her neck. “—I’m scared and I need you as close to me as possible.” He confessed.

Miyoung’s expression softened into a smile. “What happened to you today? Something changed.” She teasingly knuckled him gently on the sides.

Rolling his eyes, Kyungsoo released her and opened the passenger’s door. “Just get in, will you?” He chuckled and motioned her to head into the car. She followed his instruction but her knowing gaze never faltered. “Seriously, what did you do today? Why’d you call in sick?” She asked, still not letting go of the topic. Kyungsoo made a face and stuck his tongue out before shutting the door close. When he arrived in his side of the car, Miyoung continued to bug him.

“Did you go somewhere?”

“What did you do?”

“What made you change your mind about keeping us a secret?”

All these questions remained unanswered as Kyungsoo began driving. He could feel her glare from his peripheral view but he only smiled, enjoying her presence beside him. This felt right. Whatever happened today was going to be worth it because he was choosing her. He was choosing this. It had taken him forever to finally choose his own happiness but he was glad that it was because of her.

Also, he was smart about it and as soon as he left the orphanage, he started making calls to his colleagues in the industry to share his interest in possibly going somewhere else.

There was this other option he had in the very back of his mind—open his own restaurant. But that would cost a lot of work and money and he hadn’t entirely thought that through. It was that one last option he was trying to save if he got to that point of desperateness.

He felt a firm nudge which made him lift a finger. “Ra Miyoung

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter