/ˈkɔr ɪŋ/

Chef's Kiss
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

T H I R T Y – T W O

Word of the Day – “Coring”

 

Holding her tears had always been one of her best skills. Miyoung used to be so good at it. So good that she once thought her heart was made of stone. Not today though. Not anymore. Trying to get through the day without shedding a single tear was something very new to her. Miyoung never thought she’d be that person who’d cry over love. Doh Kyungsoo made this all happen.

Within the first step that she took of the stairs leading to the storage basement, tears began trickling down her face. She quickly swiped them away to clear her vision. She felt terrible but she didn’t want to potentially die from falling off a steep flight of stairs. She wasn’t that clumsy.

Maybe foolish … but not clumsy.

Foolish Ra Miyoung. Yup, that was her.

She checked the whole basement one last time before settling down a stool on one corner, just beside the tall wine rack. She was almost through with the day but she just had to escape and take a quick break. Miyoung had eventually reached that point where the tears were already too heavy to hold and she just had to let them roll out or else she’d go mad or possibly feel sick and throw up.

Leaning closer against her lap, Miyoung fished out her phone from her apron pocket to check for any messages. Doh Kyungsoo was consistent with his no text no call attitude and it was starting to give her the same anxiety she used to have a while ago when he always shrugged it off as nothing every time something significant happened between the two of them.

But this time, they had gone all the way.

And there was no turning back to this one. There was no—

A clacking sound from behind stirred her fully aware and she quickly looked around in fear. She swiped her sleeves harshly against her eyes to dry them out as she stood up. “Wha—what’s that? Who’s there?” She asked while walking slowly towards the corner where the sound came from.

If there were rats in here, this restaurant would be in serious trouble.

Also, she’d be in serious trouble. She was terrified of rats.

She spotted a shadow moving behind one of the tall storage shelves and she shrieked in terror until a figure, a human figure, eventually stepped out. “Oh my god! What the he—who the are you, burgl—” Miyoung immediately stopped hopping in fright when she realized who it was.

Byun Baekhyun, hunched behind a blanket that he spread over him. What the was he doing in here?

“Ssh! Ssh, please!” Baekhyun whisper-shouted while peering towards the stairs and the closed door. “What the hell?” Miyoung gawked at him from head to toe, realizing that he seemed to have just woken up. Did he sleep here? “You—why are you—what?” She frowned harder while scratching her neck in bewilderment.

Baekhyun eventually dropped the blanket revealing himself in a plain tank top and pyjama pants. “I can explain, I swear.” He sighed and looked away with a shameful pout.

“Okay, start explaining,” Miyoung grunted back and folded her arms.

The man looked at her again and raised both hands. “Okay, last night there was a fire in my apartment so I was advised not to go home so I had to stay here and—”

“If I find out that you’re lying right now, I will immediately tell this to my father and you’re ing done. This is still trespassing, you know?” Miyoung warned him.

Right. Advised not to go home last night, huh. He seemed so ready for someone who got advised out of emergency last night. A full blanket and pyjama that he miraculously pulled out from the fire before going back in here to sleep? Right. She just didn’t buy it.

Baekhyun closed his eyes in defeat as if knowing that he was caught red-handed. “Okay, just—can you please calm down first? Please, Miss Miyoung. I will be honest with you but promise me you will calm down and listen to me.” He sighed as he approached her.

Miyoung immediately took a step back and leaned by a wall while raising a hand to stop him from coming any closer. Her eyes travelled back to the corner where he came from and she noticed the two pillows on the ground and a duffle bag.

Had he been staying here?

“How long have you been secretly staying here?” She interrogated.

Baekhyun released a staggered chuckle while messing his already messed up bed hair. “Just three days, I promise. I just—please just keep this between us? Please? I’ll do anything for you if you just keep it a secret, Miss Miyoung.” He pleaded.

With a raised eyebrow, Miyoung said, “I’ll keep my mouth shut if you tell me the real reason you’re here. I’m good at catching people lying to me. If you lie again, you’re dead meat.”

“I’m sorry, I can’t tell you the details. But I will make sure that this will be only until today. I will not be sleeping here tonight anymore. I promise. I just really had to—”

Miyoung turned to the stairs, getting ready to leave. “You’re ing done.” She muttered.

“Okay okay! A husband of a—a husband of someone I know is looking for me and possibly wants to kill me or something like that and he found out where I lived. That’s it. I just had to—I don’t know. I had to hide for a bit.” Baekhyun finally admitted with a defeated tone.

A fleeting silence filled the entire basement as Miyoung looked at him with a judging gaze. “Someone … you know? What do you mean by that?” She squinted more at him before her eyes quickly widened in realization. “Oh my god, were you having an affair with a married woman?” She accused while pointing at him.

“Ugh—” Baekhyun rolled his eyes as he propped his hands on his hips. “Trust me, it’s not like that—but sure, whatever.” He shrugged in defeat. “Why are you crying here all alone anyway?” He added in the end.

Miyoung’s whole body tensed up and her grip on the handle of the staircase tightened. He saw that? She was done for. No one was supposed to see her cry. That was why she came here in the first place.  

. . .

“Wai—wait, you said three days? Do you mean—” Miyoung stopped as she stared at him anxiously.

A grin slowly formed on Baekhyun’s lips as he nodded. “Yes, I saw you and head chef making out in the kimchi cellar the other day. It woke me up. Gosh, you guys should be careful doing sly things like that during work. You’ve been doing great in keeping it a secret but you could do better than that, you animals.” He side-glared at her before winking. “See, we both have secrets to keep. So just let me go and pretend you didn’t see me here. Call?” He flashed her two thumbs up while nodding.

“I don—I don’t know what you’re talking about. Can you just stop making up to try and frame me up? I can still tell you to my dad, you know? If that man who’s looking for you finds this place, it’ll hurt the whole business’s reputation and it’s all going to be because of you and your affair.” Miyoung hissed back.

“It’s not really an affair—oh my god!” Baekhyun slapped his forehead. “Miss Miyoung, I know about you and head chef no matter how much you two try to deny it. I know it right from the start and I have been quiet about it because it’s none of my business. So can you also just keep quiet about this because this isn’t your business?” He pleaded.

Unconvinced, Miyoung frowned more. “Technically, this business is mine because it’s owned by my dad, don’t you think? If you would just tell me the real reason why you’re here instead of trying to frame me up with those stupid lies just to threaten me then we won’t have a problem. I need to know that your reason is worth sneaking in here without our permission.” She argued back.

Deep inside, Ra Miyoung was freaking the out. Someone knew about the relationship. The relationship was technically over now. Did it still matter at all? There was no point in her admitting to it when it was over. Denying it with all her might would hurt much much less. Or at least, a little.

Baekhyun made an impatient sound. “Okay, well—” He looked away for a brief moment before

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter