Chapter Nine

For Every Twenty Seventh
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Please don’t make this day difficult for Yong” I mumbled as Hyejin and Byulyi and I walked to the front entrance of the university to wait for Yong.

We always had this tradition of celebrating after doing good on our major exams. We sometimes go and eat outside. There were also times where we celebrated through drinking. Then there were times that we checked some place we heard that’s new or famous.

This time though, I don’t want to celebrate unless Yong’s already back from work. I wanted to thank her because of how supportive she was. She was willing to just sit beside me and fed us dinner last month. However, Hyejin and Byulyi didn’t want to break tradition and just go with the two of them so they proposed hanging out with Yong and I.

I don’t want to agree. I don’t want them to come, but also, I wanted Yong to meet my friends and I also wanted them to meet Yong. They promised to behave, which is impossible but I don’t want to ditch them as well. I have nothing to hide now and I guess it doesn’t sound like a bad idea at all.

I texted Yong about this two days ago and told Hyejin and Byul that I’m okay as long as Yong’s okay. Lucky for them, Yong agreed right away and even offered to drive us. We’re really bothering her so much, but I’m kind of excited as well. I could get to spend an entire day with both my friends and with Yong.

“Of course. We won’t make it difficult for Yongsun. We’ll just make it difficult for you” Hyejin said before Byulyi and her laughed out loud. I smacked them for teasing me again but both of them ran ahead of me.

“Would you want me to hug your girl friend, Whee?” Byulyi asked in between laughter.

“We’re not!” I shouted and chased after them, their laughs echoing in the campus.

“Stop! I’m going to behave! I can’t run anymore!” Hyejin shouted desperately while still running and I never stopped chasing.

“Me too! It was a joke, Whee! I promise to behave too!” Byulyi added, hearing her heavy breaths while both her and Hyejin were running slow now.

I only stopped chasing them when I was able to smack them both. They linked their arms on either side of me as we tried to catch our breaths. “You better behave. Let’s not bother Yong too much” I said in between heavy breaths while I wiped my forehead with the back of my arm.

Yong wasn’t there yet when we reached the front entrance. While waiting, Hyejin tied her hair in a high ponytail while Byulyi grabbed her cap inside her bag and wore it. I just stood up and softly kicked the ground when I hadn't seen her car coming to us yet.

A few minutes later, I looked up and saw a familiar black SUV coming towards us. I glanced at the plate number, my eyes squinting as I read it. I smiled when Yong has finally arrived and whispered, “She’s here”

Hyejin and Byulyi glanced at me to see where I was looking before they both looked at Yong’s car. They both stood up straight while we watched Yong’s car come to a full stop in front of us. Hyejin and Byulyi went to the backseat while I climbed on the passenger seat.

Yong looked really beautiful today though. She did not just make me feel underdressed, she made all three of us feel so underdressed. All three of us were wearing either a hoodie or sweatshirt and either some baggy pants or sweatpants with rubber shoes. Yong, on the other hand, was wearing a dress with matching gold accessories.

“Nice to see you again, Yongsun” Hyejin said. At the same time Byulyi said, “Thanks for letting us come along”

Yong was smiling at them through her rear view mirror when I reached for her seatbelt and unfastened it. She turned her attention to me just as I had my arms around her waist. I buried my face on her neck and closed my eyes, inhaling her scent that I’ve come familiar with. She wrapped her arms around me as well before she leaned her face at the crook of my neck.

“I missed you so much,” I whispered.

She chuckled softly before she whispered, “I missed you too”

I slightly pulled my face away from her neck and pouted at her. “The days that you were away this time felt longer than how it was before” I whined, which is true, especially now that Hyejin and Byulyi knew about ther.

They kept on asking me about her and made me talk about her and the things that we did before. I was reminded of her even more now that my friends knew about her. Also, I’m so excited for this day to come because we get to go out again. We didn’t get to go out when I had to study.

“Yeah? Is that so?” she cooed at me, teasing me again while I pouted and furrowed my eyebrows at her. She just smiled at me, biting her bottom lip to keep herself from laughing.

“Stop treating me like a baby”

“I can’t help it.” One of her hands moved up and cupped my cheek while her other arm that was still around me pulled me closer to her. She leaned forward and kissed my forehead right in front of my friends whom I've just told earlier that we’re just friends.

Hyejin would sometimes kiss our cheeks too but this time, Yong’s kiss is definitely different. She had no reason to do it other than she simply just did it.

I stared and blinked my eyes at her, frozen on my seat, while she just grinned at me. I’m, for sure, blushing in front of everyone right now. Maybe she’s just teasing me as well when she teased me and treated me like a baby. This might be part of it too.

She broke the hug while my hands were on the center console, leaning on it. She fastened her seatbelt while I continued to stare at her. She chuckled at me and leaned closer to me again. I held my breath, expecting another kiss from her, but she only reached to rub her thumb on my forehead.

When I felt her touch me, it seemed like I was unfrozen again. I gulped hard and averted her gaze. I slowly pulled back but then Yong held my shoulders and stopped me from moving. “Hold still” she whispered, her eyebrows furrowing while still rubbing her thumb on my forehead.

My friends decided to make their presence known at that time. They faked a cough and snickered at me, which just made the blush even worse while Yong just simply laughed softly at me. Then she smiled at me and nodded her head before she leaned back on her seat.

I hurriedly fastened my seatbelt, kicked my shoes off, and lifted my legs up, curling on the passenger seat. I hugged my legs and slightly turned my body away from Yong, hiding from her. I could see that we’re moving now but I’m still flustered from when she kissed me.

Why does she have to kiss me?!

I have nothing wrong with it. I liked it. Her lips felt so soft on mine and it fluttered my heart, but it just made me feel so flustered. Before, she kissed me because she had to check on my temperature. I even did it a few times to her, but lied about checking her temperature. I just simply want to kiss her forehead.

Was Yong lying at that time as well? Did she just kiss me because she just wanted to?

I felt a hand touched on my knee and I stared at the hand as it moved to hold the steering wheel. “Huh?” I said, asking if Yong said something I didn’t catch when I was zoning out.

“Is there something wrong?”

“Oh, nothing’s wrong” I answered right away, shaking my head vigorously. I closed my eyes and groaned silently as I leaned back on my seat when I heard Hyejin’s muffled laughter. I could imagine her covering while her shoulders trembled so badly. Byulyi could hold her laugh so maybe she’s either grinning or chewing the inside of her cheek to stop herself from laughing.

“So, where are we going?” Yong asked beside me.

“I’ll just type in the address in your navigation panel. Will it be okay?” I asked her. I wanted to surprise her so I didn’t tell her yet where we’re going. Hopefully, she’ll like it.

“Sure. You know how to do that already, right?”

“Yup” I said, popping the p in the word when my excitement slowly replaced how flustered I was earlier.

 

I’m not liking this already.

We’ve been planning to go to this mountain park that has lots of restaurants, sightseeing spots, and a carnival theme area that’s filled with stalls with various games. We’ll be staying here the whole day because the carnival would only open by the evening. However, the only way to get to the mountain park is through riding the cable cars. It could still be reached by driving all the way up to the mountain but the cable cars would make it convenient. Also, we’ve got the best ocean view if we’d ride the cable cars.

All of us we’re so excited. We laughed on our way to the cable cars and were astonished with the view. I was excited until I noticed Byulyi hugging Yong. It was not a simple hug. She had Yong’s face right at the crook of her neck while she rubbed her hand on Yong’s back.

Hyejin and I were sitting beside each other and Yong was across me with Byulyi sitting beside her. I was so lost in watching the ocean view that I didn’t realize they were hugging already. I was about to call Yong’s attention but I stopped myself when I saw them in such a position.

I clenched my teeth and fisted my hands as I continued to watch the two of them. My eyebrows furrowed and I was slouching on my seat while breathing heavily. I clenched my teeth harder, my jaw tensing and hurting, while I fisted my hands even more when I saw Byulyi whispering something to Yong.

Then suddenly Yong moved back. I loosened the tension in me, thinking that they were going to break the hug, but they didn’t. Yong only pulled back a little to look at Byulyi’s face. Their faces were slow close. It seemed like they’re about to kiss.

I scoffed and rolled my eyes. I can’t believe Byulyi’s hitting on Yong. I thought she was just teasing me when she said she wanted to date her. But this! Dammit, she really meant it.

“Jealousy would kill you” Hyejin whispered beside me.

“Shut up. I don’t know what you’re talking about” I whispered between clenched teeth.

Hyejin lightly chuckled as she whispered, “Are you mad at Byulyi that she’s hugging Yong right now?”

“No, I’m not!” I denied, shrugging my shoulders before the two people in front of me caught my attention again.

Byulyi rolled her eyes at Yong while Yong smiled and giggled at Byulyi. Byulyi rolled her eyes once again before she smiled at Yong. Then Byulyi whispered something to Yong again.

Why do they keep whispering and hugging each other?!

I don’t like this day. I don’t like this day at all.

“I want to go back to the dorm,” I whispered, feeling the cable car slowing down as I stared at the mountain park. It doesn’t look so appealing anymore.

“And waste your day?” Hyejin asked in disbelief. She patted my shoulder and whispered, “Byulyi must’ve a reason to hug Yongsun”

“Of course she has a reason” I said exasperatedly as I rolled my eyes and Hyejin. “She wanted to date her. That’s the reason”

“And what if she really wants to? You don’t like it? You would be mad at her for courting Yongsun?”

I opened my mouth to say no but left it hanging open when I couldn’t say it to Hyejin. Hyejin was looking at me intently and was patiently waiting for me to answer her, but her face became so intimidating. It was pressuring me to answer her correctly, but I know, denying it would be a lie.

Hyejin lifted a hand and closed my mouth as she slowly smiled at me. “You love Yongsun. Just admit it to yourself, Whee”

I gulped hard and looked away. I don’t want to do such a thing.

Yong has been such a good friend. As what she said last time, we’re friends. She only sees me as her friend and I have nothing wrong with that. Also, admitting it to myself would just make it real. Admitting it to Yong would make things really complicated.

We’ve been hanging out because of my breakup. She’s been such a good and calming company that it would sometimes let me forget about the breakup. I’m afraid that my affections to her were nothing but loving the feeling of having her around and not simply loving Yong as a person.

I was saved when the cable car reached the platform. I cleared my throat and jumped out of the cable car first when the door was finally open. I walked ahead of them all but Hyejin caught up to me and walked beside me.

“It’s okay. You can take your time, Whee. Byulyi is aware of how you see Yongsun. She’s not some to make a move on Yongsun, okay?” Hyejin whispered beside me while I just sighed and nodded my head as I dragged myself to move. Hyejin placed her arm around my shoulders and pinched my cheek. “For now, let’s enjoy the view!” she said excitedly as she dragged me to walk faster.

I don’t want to spoil this day like how I’ve been spoiling my friends’ moods during those days that my breakup with Hyo was still new. I let Hyejin drag me wherever she wanted while Yong and Byulyi followed us. The place is really great and it slowly lifted my sour mood.

Byulyi brought her camera and started taking pictures of the view right away. Then she asked for us to pose for her so Hyejin and I did so. After a couple of poses, I saw Yong standing behind Byulyi and was just watching us.

“Yong!” I called out to her and motioned for her to walk to us. “You should join too!” I don’t want her to feel left out among my friends.

I smiled so wide when she walked closer to me right away. She stood right beside me and laced an arm on my back before she pulled me closer to her. Then we started another round of poses with Byulyi taking pictures of us. At some point, we asked some staff in the park to take pictures of all four of us.

We moved to other places and continued to take pictures. We spent the rest of our morning touring the whole place and taking pictures of each other. At some point, Hyejin volunteered to take pictures of Yong so Byulyi could rest from taking pictures of us and the p

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter