Chapter Ten

For Every Twenty Seventh
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Today was the worst twenty seventh.

Yong and I won’t be meeting on this twenty seventh and it . I’m glad that I’m back in my house with my Mom and Dad, but the twenty seventh has become our thing with Yong.

The holiday was still great nonetheless. I get to eat a lot without worrying about spending too much. I also get to eat my Mom’s cooking, which is the best. I don’t have to worry about school yet since we're still on break. Ggomo gets to see his Mommy’s house but he still hates me. He only loves Yong now. Lastly, I get to receive gifts from my parents too.

It was great yet incomplete without being able to see Yong. I could call her or text her but I didn’t want to initiate that because that might bother her from work.

I was lying down on my bed while staring at my ceiling, waiting for something to happen or anything to do. I sighed heavily and closed my eyes, I guess I just had to sleep on this day. If I had classes, that would be a good distraction to pass the time while waiting to see Yong again.

A knock on my bedroom door pulled me away from drifting off to sleep. “Come in!” I shouted and watched as the door was being pulled open. “Mom” I said as I pushed myself to sit up on bed while my mother closed the door behind her. “Is there something wrong?” I asked her.

“I should be the one asking that. Is there something wrong?” she asked as she moved to sit across from me on the bed.

I shook my head and said, “Nothing’s wrong. Why are you asking that?”

She frowned at me and reached to brush my hair. “You seem so gloomy. I was worried, me and your Dad, we were worried when you told us about the breakup”

I pouted at her before I said, “I’m sorry I made you worry”

“You know you can talk about it to us, right? She was your first love after all. We were worried that it might affect your studies and affect you emotionally. You should’ve called us and talked to us…”

“Mom…” I whispered softly.

“We love you, Wheein. Your Dad and I are always here for you always. You have nothing to hide from us, sweetie” my mother continued to ramble.

I reached her hand and shook it as I said, “Mom, I’m fine”

She frowned at me and cupped my cheeks. “Are you sure? I know you have Hyejin and Byulyi to talk to but you could always tell us”

I smiled and nodded at her. “I know.” I also have Yong now, but my parents still don’t know about her. “And I’m fine. I’m aware that I can tell you anything. You don’t have to worry”

“The breakup didn't affect you at all?” she asked in disbelief.

I sighed as I leaned back on the headboard of my bed and grabbed a pillow to cuddle with it. “It was hard at first. I moved out of her apartment and moved to the dorm. It was a mess and I had to keep Ggomo in this park. That’s why he hates me. But I’m fine”

The breakup led me to Yong. That’s probably the only reason why it’s so easy to talk about it now.

Maybe I really have moved on from Hyo?

“You hid your cat in a park?” my mother asked in disbelief.

I nodded and chuckled as I said, “Yeah… but he’s fine now. He’s being a good boy.” He’s been a good boy to Yong, but not to me. “I’m really fine, Mom. I appreciate the concern but you don’t have to worry about me at all”

“Then why do you look so sad now if this has nothing to do with Hyoyeon?”

“I’m just” I said, shrugging my shoulders at my mother. “I just miss school, I guess. I’m so used to doing a lot”

“Well, you should go out. Walk around. It’s been a long time since you’re back home” my mother suggested.

“I’ll probably just stay here. I’ve seen everything in Jeonju already”

My phone suddenly rang, cutting in between my conversation with my mother. I reached for it on my bedside table and saw that it was Hyejin who’s calling me. “It’s Hyejin. I have to answer this”

My mother patted my head and pinched my cheek before she stood up. “Tell us if you need anything, sweetie” my mother said as she walked out of my room.

“I will,” I said to her before she closed the door. I answered Hyejin’s call and placed my phone to my ear before I said, “Hyejinie”

“Wheeinie, let’s go to the beach!” she shouted so loudly that I had to pull the phone away from my ear as I flinched by how loud her voice is.

“You don’t have to shout to ask me out to the beach!” I shouted as loud as her, returning her the favor.

“Sorry” she said as she chuckled, feeling far from being apologetic. “Come on. Let’s go to the beach now. Bring food too. We’re having picnic there”

“Why are you so eager to go to the beach? It’s so cold outside. I just want to stay in bed”

“Byulyi is already on your way to your house. I’m on my way there too. And we’re bringing food so you better bring one”

I grunted as I lazily pushed myself out of bed. “Fine…” I groaned. “I’ll see what I can bring from the kitchen but I can’t promise anything”

“Bring your bike. Bye” Hyejin said, ending the call right away.

I sighed and walked to my cabinet. I grabbed my sweatpants and sweater from my cabinet and changed out of my pajamas into them. I grabbed my jacket and beanie next and wore them as well. Then I grabbed my phone before I walked out of my room.

I fixed my beanie on my head, making sure that I’m covering my ears well, as I headed to the kitchen. “Mom…” I called out to my mother but only saw my father. “Dad, Hyejin and Byulyi wanted to go to the beach. I’m bringing food and my bike”

“Your Mom made hot chocolate. That should be enough for all three of you” my father said.

“Okay, thanks.” I headed to the kitchen counter and grabbed three metal tumblers. I transferred the hot chocolate in them before I grabbed bottles of water. I placed them all in a bag before I walked to my father and kissed his cheek. “I’ll be going know”

“Don’t drive too fast. I’m still not sure if you’re bicycle is in good condition”

“I will. I shall check them before we headed out”

I waved goodbye to my father as I headed out of the house. I placed the bag in the basket of my bike and checked the chains and brakes. I smiled when they were still working properly.

“Wheein!”

I glanced behind me and saw Byulyi right at our front gate. I dusted off my bike before I rolled it beside me on my way out.

“Where’s Hyejin?” Byulyi asked.

“Not here yet.” I placed my phone in the basket together with the bag before I wore my jacket tighter around. “What’s with the sudden picnic to the beach? It’s too cold to be staying outside” I asked Byulyi curiously.

“It’s the twenty seventh, and since Yong is not here, we’re going out. It was my idea” she said proudly, smiling so wide to show off her dimples.

I scoffed and rolled my eyes because it was such a stupid idea to be out in the cold. Still, I can’t help but smile at my friends’ concerns. “Hyejin is here” I whispered to Byulyi when I saw red hair flying all over the place coming towards our direction. I sat on my bike and started pedalling towards the direction of the beach when Hyejin was almost to us. “Race to the beach!” I shouted excitedly.

“Unfair! I’m far behind!”

I smiled when I heard Hyejin complain. I glanced behind me and saw Byulyi moving close to me. I faced ahead again and pedalled faster.

“You two can’t beat me!” Byulyi said when she passed by me laughing so loudly.

“Unfair!” Hyejin shouted again.

“Race is not over yet, Byulyi!” I shouted to her, moving closely behind her.

“Unfair!” Hyejin shouted again, making me laugh out loud.

The road was empty since people wanted to stay in their homesa away from the winter wind. The road is a little bit slippery and we’re three college students stupid enough to race on such weather and condition. Even more stupid to go to the beach while in the middle of winter.

 

The beach wasn’t surprisingly as cold as I expected when we arrived there. There were even other people spending their time on the beach sand. We dragged our bikes on the sand until we reached a few feet to the water. Then we placed our bikes down on the sand.

Byulyi brought a blanket with her and laid it down on the sand. We laid all the food and drinks we brought on the blanket before we sat down on it. I passed them each a thermos of hot chocolate. Byulyi brought leftover pizza while Hyejin brough fruits and cookies. When everyone was settled on the blanket, we started eating and drinking.

“Ugh…” I grunted before burping loudly as I laid down on the blanket after we finished everything.

“Eww!” Hyejin exclaimed, throwing me a disgusted look while I just gave her a huge smile.

We heard Byulyi groan loudly, gathering both of our attention. We glanced at her and saw her frowning at her phone. Then she sighed heavily as she pocketed her phone.

“What’s wrong?” Hyejin asked worriedly.

She sighed once again as she stood up and walked towards her bike. “Mom and Dad had to go out. I have to watch over my younger sisters”

“You’re going now?” I asked, pouting at her as I pushed myself up. “You pulled me out of my bed and now you’re heading back first?” I whined at her.

She smiled at me softly and said, “I’m sorry. Oldest sister duty calls. Keep the blanket for me, okay? I’ll text you later”

“We should probably go as well,” I said as I started cleaning up.

“No, let’s stay for a while. I like the sound of the ocean. Also, my legs still hurt from the race” Hyejin whispered as she laid down on the blanket and closed her eyes.

“I’ll go now!” Byulyi said, dragging her bike with one hand while she waved at us.

“Bye!” I said, waving back at her.

“Bye!” Hyejin said while still laying down on the blanket.

When Byulyi was gone, I laid beside Hyejin and stared at the sky. I sighed heavily, thinking that Yong must be up in the air now. I hope she’s eating properly and her anxiety is not bothering her with her work. Then suddenly, a plane was suddenly visible in my line of sight. I smiled so wide and thought that maybe that’s where Yong is right now.

Hyejin suddenly groaned beside me before she whispered, “Love is making you look so crazy, Wheeinie. One moment you’re smiling, then you’re frowning, then you were pouting, and now you’re smiling so big”

I faced her and pouted at her, making her roll her eyes at me while chuckling. I turned my body to face Hyejin, curling on the blanket, before I whispered, “Hyejinie…”

“Hmm…” she hummed while raising her eyebrows at me.

“Why do you sound so sure when you say that I love Yong? I’m not even sure about it myself”

She slowly turned her body to me and asked, “What do you have in mind?”

I sighed heavily as I laid on my back again. I stared at the vast blue ocean with white clouds above us. “I like Yong” I whispered softly, my eyes rolling everywhere as I scratched my neck while I thought deeply. “Whether I love Yong is something I’m not sure. I want to love her and I want her to love me. I felt strongly attracted to her. But what if…” I whispered before I gulped hard. “What if I don’t really love her?” I whispered softly, my eyebrows scrunching from uncertainty. “What if I only love the feeling of having someone because it reminded me of those times that Hyo and I were together?” I whispered softly, voicing out to Hyejin what I’m afraid the most when it comes to what I feel towards Yong.

I turned my body to face Hyejin again and pouted at her. “You know I met Yong when I was still trying to move on from Hyo, right?” I asked her while she nodded, patiently listening to me. “What if I haven’t completely moved on from Hyo? What if I only want Yong around because it’s distracting me from my failed relationship with Hyo? What if I still love Hyo and since we’re obviously not together anymore,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter