Chapter Four

For Every Twenty Seventh
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I woke up early in the morning. It’s the twenty seventh of the month. Yongsun and I planned to see each other today. I even planned what we are going to do and where we’re going since she wanted me to repay the groceries she bought for me last month for a fun day. I just don’t know if what I considered as fun would be fun for her too.

I pushed my blanket off of me and slid my legs to the side of the bed as I sat up. It’s still around six in the morning and I could still see Hyejin is still sleeping on the bed across from mine. Yongsun only told me to meet at the front of the university but she never mentioned the time. I decided to wait for her early at the front gate so I wouldn’t miss her.

I brushed back my hair off my face and gently slapped myself to get rid of sleep before I stood up. I went to my clothes cabinet and grabbed some black hoodie, some pants, and underwear before I headed to the bathroom. I hung my clothes before I took off my pajamas and started showering.

The entire week last week was so dragging while I waited for today to arrive. Saying that I’m excited is an understatement. Yongsun is a good company and we somehow always had fun despite meeting coincidentally. The only downside for this day is that I have the entire morning filled with classes. If she picks me up this morning, she might either wait for me or back out. Maybe she has other things to do too.

I sighed heavily before I reached for the towel and dried myself when I was done taking a shower. I wore my clothes before I wrapped my towel in my hair. I walked out of the bathroom and grabbed the hair dryer that Hyejin and I shared. I went back to the bathroom to muffle the noise from the hair dryer so I wouldn't wake up Hyejin while drying my hair.

When I was done, I hung my towel inside the bathroom and carried the hair dryer with me. Hyejin was stirring on her bed when I placed the dryer back in its place.

“Did I wake you up?” I asked and smiled apologetically at her when she nodded.

“Where are you going?” she asked before grunting as she stretched on bed.

“I’m heading out first”

“We share the same first class, right?”

“Yup.” I walked to my study stable where my backpack is and checked if I had everything I needed in there already.

“It’s already eight? Am I going to run late if I sleep five more minutes?” she asked, blinking her eyes innocently at me while still a little bit disoriented.

“It’s still seven. You can sleep some more.” I lifted my bag and inserted my arms in the straps before I faced her.

She wrapped herself completely in her blanket before she curled up and pouted at me. I chuckled softly as I walked closer to her and pinched her cheek. “Why are you already prepared for class? Do you have an early class?” she asked, her voice sounded tiny and hoarse.

“I’m not. I have somewhere to go”

“Hmm…” She pulled her arms out from her blanket and opened it wide before she said, “Hug”

I bent down and wrapped my arm around her. She’s really affectionate towards me and Byulyi that we both got used to her acting clingy to us. I think we got this from her already.

“Be careful,” she whispered.

“I will”

“Byulyi and I are here for you”

“I know,” I whispered as I chuckled at her. “You sound like I’m going to be gone for a long time. We’ll still see each other later in class”

“I know,” she whispered back before she patted my back and broke the hug. “We’re just worried after the breakup. It was hard seeing you like that”

I smiled at her and patted her cheek softly. They’re still concerned about me after I chose my girlfriend over my friends a lot of times. I didn’t even regret choosing Hyoyeon over them, which is really mean. “Don’t worry about me.” I stood up and pulled her blanket over her again. “I’ll go now, okay? I’ll see you later in class”

“Bye…”

I slowly closed the door behind me so I wouldn’t wake Hyejin again. Then I headed to our university canteen to grab a quick breakfast and some coffee. The canteen is still far from the front gate so I chose to buy a sandwich. I carried my coffee and sandwich with me as I headed to the front gate while eating and drinking on my way there.

When I was done with my sandwich, I crumpled the paper wrapper as I hurriedly finished my coffee. I threw my trash in a trash bin I passed by before I continued walking to the front gate.

Yongsun wasn’t here yet when I arrived at the university entrance. I couldn’t spot her car nearby as well. I grabbed my phone from my pocket and turned the screen to know what time it is already. It’s already a few minutes past eight. By quarter to nine, I have to run back to the university again to attend my classes. I won’t have more time to wait for Yongsun here.

I glanced at either side of the road and discovered that no black SUV was coming towards the university. I sighed and pulled my hoodie up before I bent my head low. I started kicking the ground and swinging my body to pass the time waiting for her.

Other than the excitement, I was also worried that maybe she forgot about our meeting today. Or that maybe she remembered but decided not to come here. Or maybe she remembered but she has some plans arranged already. I don’t know. I’m nervous and I would be sad, just a little bit, if she didn't show up. Or maybe she’d show up and realized that she doesn’t want to wait for me. That would be really sad as well.

After all, who am I compared to Yongsun?

I sighed heavily once again before glancing at the road again. I saw a black SUV coming towards my direction and I stared at it for a second before I stood straighter when it seemed like Yongsun’s car. I glanced at the plate number and confirmed that it was really her.

I saw her car one time but I already had her number memorized. I made sure to do that when she said that we’ll be meeting again.

A small smile unconsciously formed on my lips and it just went wider when the car stopped right in front of me. She came. She really came. I could not believe it but she came.

“I’m sorry I made you wait” she said the moment she stood right in front of me.

I shook my head too eagerly, dropping the hood off my head. “I didn’t wait that long” I said before I held my breath when she suddenly moved closer to me.

She grabbed my hoodie and pulled it back on my head. Then I gulped hard when she tucked my hair behind my ears before she fixed the hood on my head. I bent my head low and stared at the ground, hoping that it would at least conceal the blush on my face.

What’s making me blush was how gentle her hands were on me. Like she was afraid that leaning weight on me would immediately hurt me.

It reminds me of Hyo.

“You still have classes, right?” she asked, bringing me out of my thoughts.

“Oh yeah” I answered as I glanced at her again. “About that…” I whispered before I silently cleared my throat. “My morning is packed with classes but I have the rest of the day after that for free”

She took a step back away from me before she said, “Okay… Is there a place here where I could stay while I wait for you?”

“You’re going to wait for me?” I asked, surprised by this. “Don’t you have other things to do?”

“I told you, I have nothing to do once I’m off from work. Unless the company calls me to be in there”

I pouted as I whispered, “You have to wait for three hours…”

She smiled before she reached a hand and patted my head gently. “I honestly don’t mind. So, a place to stay? Or a café somewhere near here? I haven’t had breakfast yet”

“You shouldn’t skip breakfast,” I whispered softly.

She looks so thin already. She even looked so tired. Even her smile couldn’t conceal the exhaustion in her eyes. She probably didn’t have enough sleep yet because she has to meet me. And now, she hasn’t eaten anything yet.

“I didn’t skip it. I’m just delaying it for a few minutes. I was worried you would be waiting for me so I drove here right away” she said while I just pouted at her, worried that she’s even sacrificing her health just to help me and hang out with me. “Don’t worry about me. There are cafés near here, right?” she whispered gently, pinching my cheek once before she rubbed her thumb on it.

“There are a few on this street” I mumbled.

She nodded before she dropped her hand from my cheek. “Okay. Just look for where my car is parked later when you’re done with your classes.” She smiled at me before she tipped her chin towards the university. “You should go now. I don’t want to hold you here for too long. You might be late”

I stared at her and studied her face. There’s something about her that’s both familiar and unfamiliar and I couldn’t figure it out yet. I couldn’t put words to it. “Are you sure it’s okay for you to wait?” I asked, brushing that unknown thought for now.

She held my shoulders and turned me around to face the entrance as she whispered softly, “I will. Now, go.” Her voice was so close to my ear that it easily ran shivers down my spine. “You will have to ace your classes, right?” she said as she gently pushed me forward, forcing me to walk away from her.

I turned around and slowly walked backwards as I waved my hand at her. “I’ll see you!”

She smiled at me and waved her hand back. “I’ll see you!”

A huge smile was on my face when I turned around to face where I’m heading. I grabbed my phone to glance at the time and discovered that I only have a few minutes left before my class. I hurriedly pocketed my phone before I ran to where my class would be, cursing under my breath, but the smile on my lips was still present on my face.

 

“Do you have to be some place after this?”

“No,” I whispered to Hyejin beside me while I’m busy taking down notes.

I reached for my phone and turned the screen on. I silently groaned while my knees anxiously bounced under the table when there’s still five minutes left before our class ends. I tried taking down notes again but my concentration was already broken. I put my pen down and cupped my cheeks while leaning my elbows on the table.

“Come on… Come on…” I silently chanted and trained my attention on the clock on the far right above the door of the classroom.

“Who got you checking the time?” Hyejin asked beside me.

“Hmm…” I only hummed in response.

I felt her tug on my sleeve, pulling my attention away from the clock. I turned my attention to a smirking Hyejin and pouted at her.

“Who got you checking the time?” she asked again.

I furrowed my eyebrows and pouted harder at her. “What do you mean?”

“Who got you checking the time?” she asked again, winking at me this time. “Who are you meeting after this?”

I averted my gaze away from her and faced the front to where our professor miraculously didn’t notice us talking despite our not-so-subtle voices. I felt Hyejin move closer to me before she leaned her chin on my arm.

“You’re meeting someone later, right?”

“I’m not” I denied while shaking my head vigorously.

“You almost forgot about this class. Luckily, I found you on my way here. What got you so distracted, Wheein?” she asked in her teasing tone.

“Nothing”

“Hey…” she whispered in a sing-song voice as she tickled my side.

I pouted and pushed her hands away from me. I glared at her and pushed her to sit straight on her seat. “Stop distracting me. I’m listening” I whispered, flicking her hands that were wiggling to tickle me some more. I cleared my throat before I sighed heavily and faced front again.

“You’ve been distracted even when I didn’t bother you”

“I wasn’t”

I was.

Yongsun told me she would wait and I’m worried that it might bore her. Three hours seemed so short, but if you’ve got nothing to do, it would feel like an eternity. Even when I’m doing something and attending my classes, it felt like a really long time for me already.

I promised, sort of, that she’ll be having fun today, but it already started so bad because of my classes. I just hope that she has something to do or some place to go before we’ll be meeting again later. But mostly, I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter