The man

RUN
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 6: The man

 

Jimin stayed inside his room for the rest of the day. He only got out to cook lunch. From the corner of his eyes, he could see Jungkook laying down on the sofa. His eyes were closed so Jimin assumed he was sleeping. Jimin opened the fridge and grabbed the chicken and asparagus.

 

He was in the middle of slicing the chicken when he heard someone enter the kitchen. His back was facing Jungkook so he couldn’t see what he was doing. But he heard some shuffling and pretended he didn’t hear that. 

 

Jungkook was still quiet even when Jimin was finished cooking the chicken. He kept it simple, only adding garlic and sesame oil. He was gonna eat it with his homemade chili flake. Then he started to prepare the asparagus. He had found a recipe only to make over-roasted asparagus so he decided to give it a try. 

 

He washed the asparagus and placed it in a mixing bowl. Then, he needed some salt and pepper. He was about to look for them when Jungkook handed it to him. He was holding the small bottles on his tattooed hand. Jimin liked all the tattoos, except for the eye with a red pupil.

 

Jimin took the bottle and said thanks. He figured that was Jungkook’s way of apologizing. He accepted it even though their previous encounter told Jimin to be cautious around him.

 

“Hyung, what are you cooking?”

 

The voice was low and unconfident. Jimin made a mental note that right now he was talking to a shy Jungkook, not the rude one. 

 

Jimin answered that question and Jungkook’s eye went wide. He was in awe knowing Jimin could cook something like that. Jimin brushed his compliments off and said it was nothing. He wanted him to try the dish first before complimenting him.

 

“Can you cook?” Jimin asked while drizzling the asparagus with olive oil. Afterward, he sprinkled some parmesan cheese. Jimin cursed himself for forgetting to preheat the microwave. He quickly set the temperature and pressed the start button.

 

Jungkook shook his head. He explained how he always bought his food or someone made it for him. This answer piqued Jimin’s interest, especially about the latter part. 

 

“Do your parents cook for you?”

 

“My parents passed away when I was little,” Jungkook said matter-of-factly. He didn’t look upset or anything. Jimin was worried he had brought up a sensitive subject so he immediately said sorry.

 

Jungkook said it was fine. Besides, it happened a long time ago. He assured Jimin it was alright when he saw the concern look on his face. Jungkook was cut off when the microwave let out a sound to announce it was ready. 

 

“Hyung?” Jungkook asked when he found Jimin still remained silent. 

 

Jimin was wondering what kind of childhood Jungkook had since he lost both of his parents. He could relate to that, although their circumstances were different. He snapped out of it when he noticed Jungkook was calling him.

 

Jimin immediately put the asparagus inside the oven. Jungkook seemed fascinated by the whole thing and he leaned closer to the microwave. He was peering through the tiny gap on the outside; the light from inside was reflected on his cheeks. 

 

****

 

It was the second time Jimin called Jungkook’s name. When he got no response, he poked him. Once. And twice, until Jungkook looked at him with confused eyes. 

 

“I have been calling you,” Jimin explained himself. He thought he saw something else in Jungkook's eyes, but he couldn’t quite figure it out. 

 

Right now they were strolling around the neighborhood. They had gone to the market—because Jimin needed to buy some spices—and the park. Jimin thought it would be nice to go out instead of spending the entire day inside. It had taken him quite some time to convince Jungkook who preferred to stay in. 

 

Jungkook apologized while adjusting his brand new hat; the one he had Jimin buy for him just now. He had convinced Jimin that his hair didn’t look good and the sun was too bright. Considering it was Jimin’s idea to go out, Jungkook insisted that he got him the hat. Jimin let out an exasperated sigh as he opened his wallet.

 

Jimin still found Jungkook to be confusing. One minute he was all shy and awkward, the next he was cold. He could also switch from acting cute to bei

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter