The stranger

RUN
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 2: The stranger

 

 

There was something in the rain at night. Perhaps it was the unique, earthy smell that Jimin liked. Or perhaps it was the sight; when droplets of rain became transparent over the street lights or headlights from the cars that were passing by. It created a fleeting moment of melancholy. It was as if he became vulnerable and unguarded. Walking in the rain created a bubble just for him; where he could put a distance from the outside world and focus on himself. Perhaps that was why his feelings were heightened.

 

The street was almost empty because of the rain. He liked it that way; he felt like he was in a scene from a movie; he was making a dramatic entrance or exit. That thought put a smile on his face. 

 

On his way home, he passed by a bakery, clothing store, and supermarket. Most of them were getting ready to close. He paid them no attention; they looked mundane to him. However, he did stop when he passed a small store on the corner of the street that sold ornaments and home decorations. From the glass window, he could see what was going on inside. The sight left a pang in his heart. 

 

It was almost the end of December, which meant the Christmas tree was standing tall. There were mistletoes, ribbons, and ornaments in various shapes and colors. But, what caught his attention was not all of those things. From the way they interacted with one another, Jimin could tell they were a family. The dad was wearing a flannel shirt with thick, rimmed glasses. The mom was pretty with her polka dot skirt and pink shirt. The kid was probably around eight years old. He was begging his parents to buy him something and he was on the verge of throwing tantrums.

 

Jimin stood there a little bit longer than he intended. He laughed when he saw the kid was putting the best aegyo as he could to convince his parents. His eyes became big and round and he pouted his lips. His mom shook her head and his dad was half amused and half exasperated.

 

Jimin wondered what it was like in a situation like that. To argue with one’s parents or to go shopping for an event. Or just simply went out as a family. He didn’t know what it felt like. To share laughter and have the warmth of other people especially on a cold night like this.

 

He threw his gaze elsewhere and after a while, he continued walking.

 

His place was just around the corner now. He picked up his pace. The thought of a hot shower and laying down in bed, covered with a blanket was enough to entice him to walk faster. He couldn’t wait to make a hot cup of noodles. He hadn’t had dinner. There was no rule against it, but he preferred to eat after he finished his job. He believed it made him look mor

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter