The rude awakening

RUN
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 11: The rude awakening

 

“You’ve never… kissed anyone... before?”

 

He didn’t think Jungkook’s face could get any redder, but it did. And, as if his head was really heavy, Jungkook gave him a slow nod.

 

Jimin was shocked. And, mortified. His ability to produce words had left him completely. He just sat there, staring at Jungkook with disbelief.

 

Oh no.

 

Jimin sipped a glass of water while processing the new information he received. Jungkook was an attractive guy, with a head full of hair and a toned build. How on earth could he not kiss anyone before?

 

Was it his endearing shyness and awkwardness that caused him to be anti-social? 

 

Maybe.

 

Or was it something else?

 

After all, Jungkook was still a mystery for him. Yes, sometimes he was like an open book. However, in some cases, he was very guarded. Jimin still remembered all his wounds and Jungkook's abrasive attitude when he asked about it. 

 

Is he hiding something?

 

Jimin pushed that thought aside. He needed to thread this needle carefully. Perhaps it would be better if Jimin knew Jungkook’s preferences first.

 

“Jungkook?”

 

Jungkook raised his eyebrows; a sign he was acknowledging Jimin calling him without saying a word. 

 

“Do you like guys?”

 

Jungkook furrowed his forehead. “What do you mean ‘like’?” 

 

“Attracted. Do you feel attracted to guys?” Jimin revised his question.

 

The deep folds on Jungkook’s forehead remained still. Nonetheless, he answered, “No.”

 

Disappointment came over Jimin. He didn’t know why but he still asked the next question. “So, you’re attracted to girls then?”

 

To Jimin’s surprise, Jungkook repeated his previous answer. “No.”

 

Jimin was completely puzzled now. He was sure he heard it correctly. But, just to be sure: “So, you’re not attracted to both guys and girls?”

 

Jungkook gave him an innocent nod; as if it was a normal thing. In fact, from his tone of voice and body gesture, he found these lines of questioning weird. “Why did you ask, Hyung?”

 

Jimin couldn’t believe it. He had never encountered someone aual before. He looked at the ceiling to think. From the corner of his eyes, he saw Jungkook mirroring his action. He might be curious what was on the ceiling that made Jimin look up all of a sudden. 

 

“Nothing,” Jimin answered. “But, wait.” Jimin decided to give it a shot. The tension had dissipated, but his next question most probably would bring it back on. His curiosity got the better of him, so he asked. “Did you feel anything when I kissed you?”

 

Jimin observed how Jungkook was in deep thought as soon as the question slipped out of his mouth. He made an “mmm” sound and folded his hands over his chest. Then his foot lightly tapped the floor. “Mmm, Hyung, I’m—I’m not sure.”

 

“You’re not sure?” What does that mean?

 

Jungkook seemed lost and after a few beats, he continued. “No, I don’t think I feel anything.” He said it matter-of-factly and his tone was neutral. It sounded like he was being truthful.

 

“Have you ever gone on a date before?” Jimin masked his disappointment by asking another question. 

 

“Date?” Jungkook was unsure.

 

Jimin should have known. If Jungkook didn’t know what “like” meant, what were the odds that he had been on a date before?

 

“You know, going out with someone you are interested in romantically,” Jimin even made a hand gesture to illustrate his point.

 

“No,” Jungkook answered. “Never been on a date before, Hyung.”

 

“Then how do you know that you’re not interested in either guys or girls? It’s like saying you don’t like a specific food when you haven’t even tried it.”

 

Jungkook rubbed his chin. His eyes were moving from side to side; Jimin could see his brain was making sense of what he had said. “Mmm,” Jungkook opened his mouth. “It’s not that I don’t want to date, Hyung. But, the rule said I can't date anyone,” he continued absentmindedly.

 

“Rule? Who gave you the rule that you cannot date?” That automatically reminded Jimin of Madam. 

 

“Huh?” It took Jungkook a few seconds to realize what he had just said. His right hand went to his mouth, but it was too late. The words were out already. “Rule? Ah no. It’s just my own principle.”

 

Jungkook was a terrible liar and Jimin knew it. 

 

“Who’s giving you the rule, Jungkook?” Jimin asked. He was dying to know. There was no way Jungkook worked for people like Madam right? If that was the case, he woul

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter