The job

RUN
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 1: The Job

The hotel lobby was cold and he was shivering. He rubbed both of his palms to generate some warmth. It succeeded even though his teeth were still chattering from the cold. He brought his palms near his lips and gently blew some air onto them. 

 

He could hear the sound of heavy rain from the lobby. It was a reminder for him not to leave the premise, unless he didn’t mind getting all wet. His umbrella was inside his bag, but it wouldn’t keep him dry. From where he stood, he saw some trees were shaking and even several cars decided to slow down and the emergency light. He really hated the combination of heavy rain and strong wind. 

 

There was a vibration from his right side pocket. His phone was still in silent mode; it was one of the rules of his job. He was not to be bothered when working. He looked at the caller ID and quickly pressed the answer button. He had been expecting this call. 

 

“Hello?”

 

There was a loud noise from the other end. He said hello again, just to make sure the caller could hear him. It went quiet after a few seconds. Just when he thought the caller had accidentally hung up on him, he heard her voice. 

 

“How was it?” Her voice was dry and hoarse; a typical smoker’s voice. He bet she was popping out another cigarette at the moment. It was her guilty pleasure after a long day. 

 

The question was normal; a follow-up to ensure the job was finished and he was okay. She was checking up on him, but not because she cared. Well, she did care. At least, he told himself she did. But, he was not naive. He brought her tons of money; he was one of her best assets--for lack of a better word. 

 

“It was,” He stopped for a moment. Dull? Nothing special? Just like the other

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter