fourteen

little white lies | chaennie

Roseanne's POV

 

I slid through my seat and went out of the car. I whipped my head from side to side seeing few people slowly gathering in our spot. We were at a small town, i thought. 

 

I quickly opened the backseat door and checked on Jennie's state. She had a small cut on her right eyebrow with blood dripping on its side. I tried waking her up. 

 

I started to grow nervous when I got no response from her. I placed my index and middle finger on the side of her neck to check any signs of pulse rate.

 

I sighed in relief when I felt some light beats. I went out of the car and fetched my phone on my back pocket to dial Chu's number. I nearly cursed upon realizing that I left it on my bedside table. 

 

I went inside the car and tried to start it but it was no help. I looked around the few people surrounding us. 

 

"Can someone help us, please?!" I shouted, as few people are gawking, curious to see about the loud crash earlier. 

 

A middle-aged woman stepped forward and tapped my shoulder, catching my attention. Her car was only few meters away from the accident and she's worried that Jennie won't be able to make it if we were going to wait for the ambulance to come. 

 

She willingly offered to help us rush Jennie to the nearest hospital. We didn't waste more time, as I scooped Jennie from her seat and carried her bridal style. 

 

The kind lady didn't leave us until Jennie was checked by a doctor. She felt bad heading out as soon as the assigned doctor and few nurses came, since her sick daughter was left with only a babysitter in their home.

 

We were just lucky that she came by from a drugstore near the place of accident. 

 

I bit my fingernails while tapping my legs repeatedly as I sat on the bench, waiting outside the emergency room— where they rushed Jennie in. 

 

The doctor came afterwards, placing a hand on my shoulder. He looked at me with an encouraging smile and explained that Jennie only had minor cuts. Nothing to worry too much. 

 

I went on the designated room where Jennie and five more patients are temporarily resting. Along with the doctor, we went to her cubicle and watched as she started to wake up. 

 

I quickly went to her side as she tries to open her eyes. I can't help but admire her hazel cat-like eyes. Staring at her with this distance made me see that tiny little mole sitting at the bottom of her left eyebrow. 

 

"Miss Kim?" I said softly. 

 

She looked at me with wide eyes and sat abrubtly on the edge of the bed—hugging her knees tightly. 

 

"Who are you? And where am I?" Fear evident on her hazel orbs. She whipped her head taking the unfamiliar surroundings. 

 

I squinted my eyes and averted my gaze to the doctor. He pressed his lips in a tight-lipped smile and nodded. He went near her as I stood further from the cubicle. I heard him asking basic questions such as her name, age, and her family. 

 

Afterwards, the doctor walked in my direction. He told me she doesn't remember a single thing including her name. He further explained about her condition. 

 

Based on the initial findings, her head trauma is what caused her to be under the state of temporary amnesia. Although, few essential tests and observations—such as x-rays and CT scan—were still needed to fully understand her condition. 

 

He advised to contact her family urgently to look out for her. For now, she must stay and rest at the hospital to which I nodded in response.

 

The doctor bid farewell and went out the room. I looked at Jennie as she stares deeply at me. A nurse helped in settling her in the wheel chair. 

 

"Her designated room would be on the second floor, room 211. Nurse Chahee will be assisting you." 

 

"Okay, thank you."

 

Nurse Chahee directed us to the second floor where the room is located. I heard the elevator dinged and opened. As we walked out the elevator, I saw a vending machine. Jennie might be hungry and thirsty from the car chase or at least I am. 

 

"Could you look out for her for a moment please?" I asked the nurse and thanked her when she nodded in agreement. 

 

I was walking to the vending machine with my head lowered and eyes darted on the few bills off my hand. Someone collided with my shoulder as I was distracted—counting my pocket money. 

 

"Watch where you're going, Miss," A man said in deep voice.

 

I side glanced at him as I walked past him. He's with three other big bearded men. My eyes bulged out upon realizing that, that guy was Jennie's client—the one who's chasing her, us. 

 

I my back and saw the nurse holding Jennie by the wheelchair across the door of her assigned room. Everything felt like in slow motion. 

 

Sweat dripped on the side of my forehead. My mind never straying from a single thought: Run. And I did. 

 

I quickly replaced the hands of the nurse from the wheelchair's handle. I ran as soon as my hands landed on it. I felt the adrenaline rushed in every cell of my body as we run for our lives. 

 

I heard distinct voices from my back. They probably seen us by now. I didn't waste my time to look back as I gripped the handle hard—leaving the veins in my knuckles too visible. 

 

"Get out of the way!" I shouted at the nurses and patients loitering on the hallway as we rushed to the fire exit. 

 

I heard Jennie screaming in fear as I pushed the wheelchair really fast—wanting to get out of the hospital alive. 

 

"Who are you? And why are they chasing you?" Jennie nearly cried. I saw her holding the armrests tightly—probably afraid to fall because of how fast we're moving. 

 

"They aren't chasing me. They're after you," I replied, not planning to stop my feet from running.

 

I opened the fire exit door but closed it immediately as I noticed the buffed guys—aka Mr Snuffleupagus' two other minions—heading up to our floor. The wheels of the wheelchair drifted from the sudden sheer to the right where the patient's rooms are located. 

 

Soon, his men were catching us up from behind—recognizing them through my far-peripheral vision when I tilted my head to the side.

 

The doors from the shared rooms of ten patients bursted open as I kicked it with all my strength. The people inside went panicking as soon as we entered the room including the bad guys chasing us. Some of the nurses and patients hurriedly went out of the scene.

 

There were about six of them inside this room including Mr Snuffy. Two of the guys walked forward and towered over us—eyeing Jennie and me from head to foot. I blocked their views from Jennie as I stood in front of her, guarding her from them. 

 

I bit my bottom lip as I rolled my eyes and grumbled, "Ah, it."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

______________________________________

 

a|n: Next updates will be much slower since I'm loaded with tons of homework. For now, enjoy this chapter! 

xx, rj 👻