thirteen

little white lies | chaennie

Roseanne's POV 

 

I stared at her with wide eyes, not expecting to see her right this second. She glowered at me but it didn't slipped through me that she also looked bothered. 

 

"Why the hell are you here?!" She bawled. 

 

"Woah, easy there Miss. For your information, this car is mine. Well technically, it's from my uber operator—I only drive it—but... still. Also, you're not even my client," I retorted while raising my brows. 

 

Someone whistled outside which made Jennie jolted on her seat, then ducked down clumsily. I whipped my head and saw his supposed client of the house, standing on the entrance of the restaurant.

 

A few men gathered around him as well as the woman who stood beside him with a stoic look. I was quick to figure out that they were looking for someone, particularly the one sitting on my backseat. 

 

"Oh, seems like their looking for you Miss," I chuckled, enjoying this. 

 

I observed them as they are discussing, probably wondering where Jennie might be. 

 

"Quit this nonsense and just start the car! Let's go?!" She whisper shouted while hiding. People from outside can easily see us, since the windows aren't tinted. 

 

"Sorry, can't do that. I'm already booked so just go find another," I stared at her with a smirk on my face.

 

"I'll double the bill. Plus, I'll give you 20 bucks more. Step on the gas now!" She negotiated but it didn't got me. 

 

"Only 20? How about 50?" I offered higher. 

 

"Are you ing kidding me?!" She shouted close to my ear. This doesn't go unnoticed by the tall guy outside. He walked subtly in my car while looking sideways. 

 

"Okay. You know what, I'm so easy to talk to. I'll just call them and tell them your here," I told her and sported a teasing look before I knocked on my window signaling the man outside. 

 

"Pst! Pst! She's here!" I whisper shouted playfully which earned me a slap on my shoulder. 

 

"Hey! Stop it!" She grumbled, kicking my seat from the bottom. 

 

"Come on, 50?" I can see this guy slowly nearing our spot. I looked at Jennie and raised my brows. 

 

"No! That's too much," She answered while gawking at the walking figure. She continued to hide from her seat. 

 

I saw him just a few feet from the car's door. "He's nearing. This is your last chance, Miss."

 

He probably noticed Jennie inside the backseat as he ducked down to the level of the window.

 

"Jen, open the door. You said you were just going to the restroom a while ago and now you're sitting here," I'm surprised he started calmly.

 

Or so I thought. 

 

When he realized Jennie wasn't planning to open the door, he slammed his hands on the hood and shouted, "Open the goddamn door!"

 

"Get out or I swear I'll break this ing window!" This alarmed Jennie, tapping my shoulders repeatedly.

 

"Chaeyoung-ah! He's seriously going to break this window!" She squeaked in a high pitched tone.

 

I kept my offer and muttered, "Give me the 50 bucks first. Then, I'll hit the gas." I smiled teasingly as I let my hand out to her, demanding to be paid now.

 

"Okay! Okay! Here, now let's go!"

 

"Good choice," I put on my seat belt. 

 

As soon as she handed me the money, I put it on my chest pocket then hit the gas instantly which made me lean back on my seat.

 

"Karma's a , eh?" I ruined the silence between us, as we drive on the highway. 

 

"How unfortunate for me, I didn't expect to be driving you this evening," I said while laughing lightly and giving her subtle glances. 

 

"Yah! I should be the one saying that. With all the uber drivers I could get here in New York, yet I'm stuck with your annoying ," She retorted back. 

 

I cleared my throat. "Before I forgot, your payment for my four-day service on your house. Where is it huh?" 

 

She scoffed before saying, "Excuse me?! With all the damage you've caused, you still have the nerve to ask for that. You should be the one paying me instead."

 

"You won't pay me?" I said sternly.

 

"Nope."

 

"Well then," I yanked the brakes. Tires screamed in agony, smoke, and burnt rubber from the sudden jolt. 

 

"Holy fu—!" Her words were cut off as she held onto her seat. 

 

The rear windshield exploded, shards like bullets peppering the interior leather. Jennie swerved, screaming. 

 

"Drive faster! They're catching up!" 

 

I ducked down, both hands still on the steering wheel. I tried to get a vision of them through the side mirror. Those guys from the restaurant was able to follow us. Not only that, they also have guns in their possession. 

 

"I'll speed up, but give me the payment," I answered sternly. 

 

"What?! Are you not aware that they're shooting us? We could be dead by now and your still thinking of that damn payment!" 

 

"I don't care! Just give me the money, I need it." I saw a near corner exit, five miles from where we were. 

 

I heard shuffling noises from the backseat. She brought her hand up to me, handing out a few bills. I shifted my right hand from the steering wheel to take it. 

 

"It's not enough. Hurry up, add 50 bucks more." I said to her seeing its fifty dollars short. I pocketed the money and led my hand out to her. 

 

"Are you serious?! You still have the time to count? There are guys out there that's going to kill us. And I don't wanna die yet!" She raised her voice, nervousness evident on her tone.

 

She was quick to hand me the rest of the payment this time. I hit the gas and the car sped up, closed to flying. When we were close enough to the corner exit, I shouted, "Miss Kim, hold on!"

 

The car spun, wheels trailing smoke, around the corner of 5th and Main street. This brought a good amount of distance from the bad guys. 

 

Gunshots sounded out. I continued swaying the car left and right to dodge the bullets. Head slightly ducked down. 

 

"Why are they after you? Are you one of them?" I asked her in curiosity, eyes darted on the road. 

 

It's not that I'm desperate for money but I found myself needing to protect Jennie, despite all the trouble and headache she's caused me from before. 

 

For a second, I didn't thought about the aftermath of this incident. I just hoped we could get away with our limbs and bones still intact and most importantly, complete. 

 

"What?! Spare me the questions and keep moving faster!" She grunted. I scoffed, even with circumstances like this, she still have the guts to boss me around.

 

Soon, the guys chasing us were catching up. They moved to our left, and we were now inches apart. There is an ongoing road construction ahead. Okay, this is good. 

 

I drove them to my left furthermore. If one was to look at our position, they'll mistaken it as joint cars. 

 

As we near the dormant heavy equipment lying on the left side of the road, I released their car and moved to further right. They were busy focusing on bumping their car to mine that they didn't realized the equipment blocking the left side of the road. 

 

I gave a quick glance at the back. Seeing that my plan worked, I guffawed with delight. Their car crashed and was flipped on the other side due to the intense impact. 

 

"See what I did there, Jennie. I mean, Miss Kim," I corrected myself and chuckled at her with hint of pride.

 

Her left hand was on her chest while the other was holding onto the side of her seat, still shocked on what happened back there. 

 

"Are you out of your mind?! What if that were us?! If your going to risk your life in danger, then spare mine. I still want to live and have my own family."

 

"Wow. Look who's talking." I scoffed taking short glances on her as I'm still driving.

 

"You're the one who's putting my life in 'danger' right now. Don't you blame me for whatever offense you did on them. You should be thankful, I'm still driving you," I said to her in serious tone.

 

"And please... just relax, there's nothing I can't handle, especially in this kind of situation. We're safe now," I added looking at her eyes. 

 

"Chaeyoung, there's a kid!" Jennie screamed, pointing on the road. 

 

I whipped my head so fast that I heard my neck cracked a little. When I saw the child walking pass the lane, I turned the steering wheel abruptly against the direction of the child. 

 

The car weaved all over the road. I clung onto the steering wheel tightly with my eyes shut, bracing for my life. The car abruptly halted its progress, as it hit a tree, sideways. 

 

Seconds after, I manage to open my eyes. I quickly unbuckled my seat belt, and checked my body for any signs of cut or injuries. Luckily, I only got few scratches on my forehead. 

 

I suddenly remembered I'm with Jennie. I looked at the backseat and saw her lying unconsciously on her seat.