nine

little white lies | chaennie

Jennie's POV 

 

I woke up with a mild discomfort on my left shoulder. I laid my back flatly and stretched my limbs through my comforter. Something brushed off my fingers as I did this. It was the black envelope, Irene was talking about earlier.

 

I lifted my head a little but winced as I felt a sharp, throbbing pain on my head. I rubbed my temples with my index and middle finger and slowly soothed my headache. 

 

My eyes darted on the small envelope as soon as I've recovered. Curiosity clouded my thoughts so I grabbed the foreign object. I pulled the tab of one end and peeked what's inside. 

 

What it looks like was, a small rectangle device with a port attached to it. It was a Seagate portable hard drive. But, they said they were going to send it a week after? I thought.

 

Usually, like any other business, whenever I visit one of my offices from different country or states, or meet with my investors, I used to receive all the details and reports in light of the meeting, every a week after. 

 

I flipped open my laptop and connected the flash drive. There's only one file and it was a video. Confused, I clicked on the only video file and waited for it to load. 

 

Is this a movie or documentary? I thought as I observed the video. But, why does it look like the camera was hidden on purpose which makes it difficult to absorb how each characters looks like. 

 

I caught a glimpse of their faces from a certain angle. With the way these individuals moves, they were saying something to a someone that was kneeling? I questioned, not sure of what is really happening. 

 

There's a couple, i think. The woman lifted a gun from her side. She pulled the trigger and, Bang! 

 

My focus was averted to the door as I heard a sudden knock. I closed the video and disconnected the hard drive, placing it back to the black envelope. I heard Irene calling me after. 

 

I must be so tired from the flight as I was still in my yesterday's clothes. I went for a quick bath and wore some nice outfit.

 

 

.___.

 

 

I went downstairs and walked to the formal living room. A man which is supposedly my client, paced around the area observing my vinyl collection. 

 

"Sorry to keep you waiting. Good morning. Mr Kim Jongin right?" He acknowledged my presence and reached for a handshake and I gladly took it. 

 

"Good morning. Miss Jennie Kim?" I looked at him  and can't help but notice how familiar his face was. I shooked the thought as this was my first time meeting him and vice versa. 

 

"I'm Jennie, the owner of this house. You said you wanted to see the whole house?" 

 

"Yeah, I actually wanted to have a tour first to see what I'm expecting. If that is possible?" He asked smiling at me. 

 

"Of course, yeah." I nodded in agreement. 

 

"Miss?" I averted my gaze to the painter. "I already finished the kitchen. Would I start doing the front exterior of the house or the back rather?" She asked and I glanced at her with a knowing look signaling her to not bother me right now. 

 

"Where were we? Oh yes. I'll show you around the house." I assured Mr Kim. 

 

"That's good. I wanted to see the family room first? Where we could convene and relax together as family and especially because I live with kids. My sister's children." I listened to him and felt how genuine he is. He looks like a gentleman knowing that he takes care of her sister and her family. 

 

It's good to hear that this place is going to be occupied by a nice family. This house holds a lot of good memories from my childhood. I love how bonded our family is, even if there's only the three of us. 

 

"Sure. I'll show it to you. Let's go around the house." I gestured him to come with me to the family room. 

 

"Excuse me, Miss?" The house painter came into our view, blocking our way. 

 

"I decided to go with the front first instead of the back. I think I'll start the back right after. If that's okay with you, Miss?" She explained. 

 

I looked at my client apologetically and muttered, "Would you excuse me for a moment?" He nodded and backed away a bit, looking around the living room. 

 

"Listen. Whether you start the front or back now, you decide, I don't care. That's your problem, so stop bothering me," I whisper shouted at her. 

 

"Oh, so I get to decide?" She asked further. 

 

"Just start working," I said in gritted teeth—loud enough only for her to hear—as I peeked at my client. 

 

I smiled apologetically at my client for the brief interruption as I went back to his direction. We walked to the family room. 

 

"I saw your vinyl collection. I must say, you have a great taste in music. I'm also a collector, by the way," He broke the silence between us as we observed the inside.

 

"Thank you, it's actually my dad's. So what do you think about the room?" I asked him—going back in business—as I ran my fingers on the long couch where we used to spend our Sundays, watching Disney. 

 

"Yeah, it's perfect. I like it," He stared back at me and there again his smile, showcasing his white teeth. 

 

"Shall we go outside? So you can see the entrance of the whole lot?" I suggested after we finished the tour of the inside. 

 

He quickly agreed as we are now headed to the front. I wanted to show him all the good parts of the house to fully convinced him to purchased it. With that, I can finally focused on my business without any distraction and go back to Korea. 

 

"I see you also have the walls repainted?" He said as we were nearing the entrance. 

 

"Yeah, so it would at least looked like new. And the person who'd take this wouldn't bother to do so, you know?" I explained while looking at my watch. 

 

I sighed shakily as I rubbed my temple. 

 

"Jennie, are you okay?" He looked at me with concern. He probably noticed my uneasiness. 

 

"Ah, yeah, I just had a lot on my mind right now. I'm sorry about that." I was quick to apologize. 

 

"It's just that my employee gave me the wrong hard drive. I couldn't look through the details of our last meeting. What would I do with a shaky film or whatever video it was? You know what, you didn't need to know that," I smiled at him apologetically. I can't believe I just said that to my client. I'm probably still exhausted from yesterday. 

 

"It's okay, don't worry about it. Anyway, I'm almost sure I'll take this house. But, I also want you to speak to my lawyer," Mr. Jongin said.

 

"Sure. Just tell me when," I replied. 

 

"How about Thursday? 7:00 dinner?" He suggested. 

 

"Thursday's fine with me," I answered and accepted his handshake. Guess, I had myself a deal. Well, that was easy. 

 

"Come on, I'll walk you out," I offered him which he agreed quickly. 

 

We were about to head out to the gate when suddenly a paint spilled all over his shirt including the back of his head. We were both shocked not expecting it to happened.