twelve

little white lies | chaennie

Bon Appétit, NY 

7:33 PM

 

Jennie's POV 

 

The waiter came back and refilled my glass with water for the third time this evening. I held the napkin from my lap and wiped the corners of my mouth. 

 

We haven't ordered yet as we were still waiting for his lawyer. I looked at Kai when I caught he was staring at me. His eyes has been with me since I settled on this table with him. 

 

He sipped through his wine then straightened his back. I lowered my head and checked my wristwatch which read that the lawyer—we've been waiting for—was now 30 minutes late. 

 

I observed the surroundings to entertain myself while waiting. I can't help but admire the nice ambience this Italian restaurant is giving off. 

 

Not long after, I heard Kai cleared his throat which made me avert my focus onto him. I raised my brows waiting for him to continue on what he was about to say. 

 

"Jennie, you know I've been thinking," He started off and I hummed in response, listening to every word. 

 

"I'm kinda confused lately," He leaned closer on the table and settled his hands near mine. 

 

I backed away a little and drop my hands on my sides. "You are?" I asked further, having no clue with what he's saying. 

 

"Yes. I've been thinking if I'm really looking for a house or a relationship," He said staring deep in my eyes. 

 

I laughed awkwardly and said, "How about we deal with the house first? So I won't have a problem to think about." I looked at him with a grimace on my face. 

 

He leaned further, eyes staring intently at mine which made me uncomfortable. 

 

"I'll be straight forward to you, Jen," He said seriously. 

 

Jen? Where did that came from? This guy is really something. From the moment I saw him I already felt something off about him. It's in the back of my mind but I just can't pin point what it is. Yet. 

 

"I'm not usually a romantic type of person, but now I think that might change," He continued. 

 

"Can I say something?" I managed to say. 

 

"Sure," He raised his brows.

 

"How long are we going to wait for this lawyer of yours?" I asked him since he specifically said we'd meet at exactly seven in the evening. Right now, there's only few minutes before this right hand of my watch strikes eight. 

 

He checked his phone and assured me that she's on her way. Few minutes later, a woman joined our table and sat in front of me. She smiled at me as Kai introduced her to me and vice versa.

 

"So she's the one huh," Atty. Manoban stated as she looked at me weirdly then to Kai or was it just me.

 

"Yes, she is Miss Jennie," He said to his attorney while nodding. His attorney once again looked at me with a wide smile plastered on her face. 

 

"You are so beautiful, Jennie. I just hope that will last," She muttered but I definitely heard what she said. She stared deeply in a way that it starts to creep me out. 

 

"Will last? What are you—" I squinted my eyes at Atty. Manobam then averted my focus on Kai who seemed unfazed. I shook away my thoughts and said thanks for the compliment. 

 

Once again I stared at her, then realize how beautiful her face is, yet too familiar at the same time. I'm not sure if it was her bangs or what but there is something.

 

I voiced out my thoughts and pondered, "I feel like I've seen you somewhere. Have we met before?" 

 

She laughed suddenly and replaced it with a smirk shortly. She crossed both arms over her chest and leaned back on the chair. 

 

"You know Miss Kim, we—lawyers—are somewhat you refer as...celebrities. Our names and faces are plastered everywhere. You can see us on newspapers, magazines, and also on televisions when we do interviews," She replied. 

 

"Interview! Yes, that could be it. Maybe I've watched one of your interviews," I exclaimed finally knowing the reason why. 

 

The food was served immediately and we talked for half an hour, finalizing the deal. Kai left us with a phone call. I don't know why but the familiarity of his attorney is still bugging me. I already thought it was an interview I watched on YouTube. 

 

"Pardon me, Atty Manoban. I don't mean to be pesky but, I'm slowly remembering some of the details. My mind is just a mess right now," I blurted out all my thoughts. 

 

She was about to answer me, when Kai tapped her shoulders and gestured her to get up from her seat. They excused themselves and stood not far from the table. I'm guessing they are discussing about the phone call that Kai received earlier.

 

When they were busy talking, something suddenly popped out on my mind. I squinted my eyes to where they were standing. I drank my water and then, "Bang!". 

 

I remembered the scene playing on my laptop few days prior. A tall guy and a woman with bangs shooting a shivering man. My expressions grew uneasy. I swallowed a huge lump in my throat, trying to compose myself. 

 

It's not a film. It was an evidence that accidentally brought to my possession. I need to get out of here immediately, is what I thought first. I saw them walking back in our table. I tried to control my breathing before I spoke. 

 

"Um e-excuse me. I'll just go powder my nose," I stood up hurriedly, taking short glances on their seat. When I noticed they aren't looking, I rushed to the exit. Since my car has been damaged and still on the repair shop, I only called a cab to get here. 

 

It would take 20 minutes or long if I book an uber right this moment. I started fidgeting seeing that there's no taxis passing by. I looked at the corner and luckily there was a parked uber. 

 

I didn't think twice anymore and ran on the direction of the car. I opened the door and slammed it shut. I ducked my head, afraid that they will see me. I grew impatient when the car wasn't moving. 

 

"Excuse me?! Can we go now?!" I shouted. This alerted the driver, turning the ignition on. 

 

"Miss relax. The car's heating up a bit."

 

"Hurry up!" I grumbled looking for signs of the two figure.

 

I shifted my gaze on the driver. My eyes were wide as soon as I saw who it was. It was the house painter. Chaeyoung.