seven

little white lies | chaennie

Jennie's POV 

 

Irene tapped my shoulder, as we watched the two figures vanished in our sight. "Hey, chill," she muttered while rubbing my arm softly. 

 

I pinched the bridge of my nose, and frequently closing my eyes as I do this to calm my nerves. 

 

"I am chill," I said in a low voice, more like convincing myself. 

 

She chuckled as soon as she heard my reply. Shaking her head, she said, "Oh you are? I wonder, what more if you're not?" 

 

.___. 

 

 

When I went back to my room, I heard a ding from my laptop. I received an email from the head staff, who is in charge of the branch office in Chicago. 

 

I will be meeting a few of my potential investors and partners. I'm planning to expand my business even further. I'm thinking of targeting the European market. 

 

Though it will be very critical, given the overly competitive fashion industry in the said continent. As soon as I catch their eyes, it will be a huge win for my brand. 

 

Every once in a while, as much as possible, I visit a few branches of my fashion business, especially if I'm launching new sets of collection. 

 

I already called and informed Irene to take care of the ongoing restoration of the house while I checked my business. I packed all my stuff including my flight essentials, and went out of my room. 

 

Last minute, I decided to check this annoying house painter of mine to give her a few pointers, since I'll be away for a couple of days. 

 

As I descend through the basement stairs—heels clacking on the wood—I heard a soft honey-like voice humming to the tune of an old song. I listened closely as this someone added lyrics to it. 

 

Oh, I'll love you forever

Can't forget you ever

Our love was meant to be

Please don't stop loving me

 

I was taken aback a little knowing that this is my favorite song as a child and up until now. And only very few people in this generation, still appreciate this kind of genres of music. 

 

If it weren't for her stupid and annoying little face, I'd be wooed by her voice. I can't say, I'm not impressed though. Okay, this somehow makes her less annoying. 

 

When I took the last step and entered the basement, I was welcomed with a whiff of a distinct smell. The whole basement was saturated with the pungent, acrid scent of cigarette smoke. And I take back what I said, she's now a hundred times infuriating. 

 

There I saw her, with a cigarette perpetually dangling out of , while constantly stirring the paint with a wooden rod. This girl is really trying to provoke me. 

 

"Hey! Put that out! Are you planning to burn my house to the ground?!" I scolwed raising my voice a little as I gestured to the lit cigarette stucked in between her lips. 

 

She looked at me in all seriousness. She crouched down and put out the cigarette using the ash tray on the floor. She continued what she was doing while relentlessly giving me a brief glance. 

 

"Don't you have anything to do, than just stirring that damn paint the whole day?" I nagged at her because from morning til after lunch, that's all what she's been doing. What piqued me more was that, she still looked unaffected with all my complains. 

 

"Will you stop lazing around and start working. I'm not paying you, so you can play around here," I reminded her looking intently at her brown orbs. 

 

This seemed to finally caught her attention, to make her stop from what she's doing. She lifted the rod with some paint dripping on the side. She scraped each sides, removing the coated liquid from the stick and placed it on the work table. 

 

The painter looked at me steadily. "With all due respect Ma'am, but what I'm doing, isn't an act of indolence. In fact, this is important to ensure that the color and consistency of the finish will look great," She muttered in a matter-of-fact tone. 

 

"Don't lecture me! I already know how people like you work and your old lousy tricks. You will delay the work, and then you will ask for additionals. Girl, I ain't born yesterday, " I clapped back to her antics. The nerve of this girl to lecture me. 

 

Roseanne's POV

 

I don't really know what exactly is her problem to me. Every time she talks to me, it's as if she's trying to spark an argument. 

 

"Well, I beg to differ Miss. I'm not like that. And I'm not the type of person you think I am," I answered clearly. 

 

"Enough!" I know she only said that cause she know she's losing this conversation. 

 

"Listen, I'll be away for a while. And when I come back, I want to see most of the lot is done. Understood?" The peace of mind I'm hoping for finally arrived. 

 

"How long would you be out?" I asked for assurance. 

 

"That's not your business." She rolled her eyes and paced to the sides, looking from afar. 

 

"Two days. I'll be gone for two days. So, do what I told you to do. Comprende?" I don't have any idea what the last part was but it sounds like she's asking if I understood so I nodded in agreement. 

 

"Good. This conversation is done." 

 

I promptly continued what I was doing earlier. I heard the clicking of her heals strutting her way out as she walked passed me. 

 

A cute butterfly landed on my arm as I mix the paints but I waved it off as it distracts me. 

 

Suddenly, a high-pitched yelp struck my ears. Miss Kim ran in my direction and forcefully jumped into my arms that are hanging loosely. 

 

"Ahh! Ah! Bugs! There's bugs! Save me! Ah!" She kept on screaming and pointing on the cute being while constantly hugging me.

 

"Miss? Hey, it's okay. It's only a butterfly. Don't worry, I got you." I mindlessly engulfed her into a hug and rubbed her back to calm her down.

 

She relaxed a bit, but realized what position we were in. She pushed me hard putting a distance between us and scowled at me.

 

"Wait a minute. Why the hell are you hugging me?!" She growled as she straightened out her ruffled clothes. Is she serious right now? She's the one who's throwing herself at me. I thought.

 

"What?" I scoffed.

 

"You ert! I'm going to sue you for ual harassment!" She grumbled while punching my arms repeatedly.

 

"Excuse me, Miss? You're the one who hugged me first! Even I, was shocked when you suddenly bolted and tackled me in hug," I raised my voice a little, with my eyes wide, stating an obvious fact. 

 

If her stares were dark before, now it's even darker and piercing. To my surprise, she grabbed me by the collar. "Now you still have the guts to accuse me, huh? ert!" She growled and pushed me off forward. 

 

She let out an exasperated sigh and turned her back. She observed the premises for signs of the butterfly and hurriedly walk away from the basement leaving me behind with a scornful look on my face.

 

I fixed my clothes and mumbled to myself, "I'm going to give you a taste of your own medicine someday."