eleven

little white lies | chaennie

Roseanne's POV 

 

"I can't believe she actually did that," Jisoo mumbled but loud enough for me to hear despite the noise from the music surrounding the whole bar. She sipped through her drink and looked into my direction.

 

I lifted my head from the counter table where I was resting earlier. I brought my hands to my chin for support and looked at her. I tilted my head to the side but shrugged my shoulders after—as a response—not feeling what to say.

 

I saw the frown on her face. With that I cleared my throat, "You know what, it's really not big of a deal. I can just find another job." I clasped my hands together and smiled at Jisoo to assure her that it's okay.

 

Jisoo sighed deeply before looking at me with her infamous puppy eyes. I held her shoulders and faced her body to me. 

 

"Besides, I don't think I can last a week more with her and that y attitude she possessed. So, don't feel too bad about it, okay?" I snorted halfway through my speech.

 

I saw her tiny smile while she shook her head sideways. "But still, I'm the one who assured you that you can work there. It's the least I can do," She said, looking at me apologetically. 

 

"What do you mean?" I asked, wondering where this was coming from. 

 

"You practically saved my life. I can't believe you sacrificed five years of your life in prison to protect me. And here I am, can't even help you find a nice job," She released a heavy sigh and pouted. 

 

"Hey, we're way past that. You know why I did that, so don't worry about it. I must say, I can do a lot of things. It wouldn't be hard for me to find another job," I explained to her as I rubbed her arms up and down to ease her nerves. 

 

"Loosen up a bit, buddy. We're here to forget about stress, and most importantly, to have fun!" I exclaimed which seemed to surprise her. 

 

I should be upset because I just lost my job, and not only that this great boss, ex boss rather, humiliated me—from the time her eyes landed on mine till the end. I'm surprised that I'm actually relieved. Maybe because I can finally get away with all her nagging. 

 

I looked around the bar. Some people are chatting around with their own business, some are dancing like an animal, and some can't keep their hands to their selves. 

 

"Can I get some ice?" I asked the bartender upon realizing that I'm almost empty. I swirled the little liquid poison on my glass when Jisoo poked my side. Looking at her with wide eyes, she motioned me to look at my 11:00.

 

A figure was walking into our direction. I can't quite visualize who it was because of the flashing lights. I tried asking Jisoo but she just left me. Quite a wingman, I have.

 

"I didn't know you go here," She stated and stand beside the counter where I'm leaning. 

 

"Suzy, what are you doing here?" I wonder why Jisoo left. If I remember, she's the one who's closest to her. I only met her last week, although she always drops by our house to give food. She said she likes cooking even though she only lives by herself. That's why she always share it with us. 

 

"I actually own this bar," She beamed and tucked a strand—hanging on the side of her face—in her ear. 

 

"Oh, I didn't know." I rubbed the back of head, embarrassed. 

 

"It's okay, Jisoo must've forgot to tell you," She gave me a teasing smile. 

 

"I'd offer you a drink but then this your bar so," I dragged the last part of my sentence but she got it anyway. 

 

"I see your drinking a lot. Bad day huh?" She must have noticed the three empty glasses aside from the one on my hand. 

 

I released a heavy sigh and looked at her with droopy eyes and nodded. She clasped her hands together and gazed at me with so much enthusiasm. Damn, I feel like high-fiving myself. 

 

Wondering what she had on her mind, I tilted my head to the side. She chuckled and took my hand. Before I can say anything, she's now dragging me to the dance floor.

 

For the first time in my 23 years of existence, I felt like living. Not worrying about anything, just me and this neighbor of mine jumping and vibing to the beats of The Weeknd's Blinding Lights. 

 

We danced for what felt like hours til were both tired enough and settle on one of the booth. I almost forgot about Jisoo but then I saw her at the corner of the bar, enjoying the company of someone she just met. 

 

I learned a lot about Suzy from her best childhood experience to her career. She's actually older than me and have established a nice career on her own. I also learned that she's quite a heavy drinker. Unlike me, I control and limit myself to few bottles of alcohol. 

 

She's fully intoxicated with all the mixed drinks she got, perks of being 'the boss'. I asked her if she can call her friends or someone to pick her up because I doubt she can make it to her home with her state. 

 

I also called Jisoo for help. She sat at our booth and dialed Soojoo, she is Suzy's bestfriend and apparently Jisoo's ex. I smiled apologetically to Jisoo. She waved it off saying it's okay. 

 

We were now having trouble keeping Suzy in place. She keeps on asking for another round of vodka which of course I didn't let her have it. This made her a bit irritated. She slammed both her hands on the table and stood up abruptly. 

 

"Who s-says I'm d-drunk?!" She shouted causing some people to glance in our direction. I bowed to them apologizing, before holding Suzy by her shoulders and made her sit back on the couch. 

 

"Your friend is on her way to pick you up. Just calm down for while, okay?" I muttered near her ear. 

 

"You're cute," She suddenly blurted out which caught me off guard. 

 

I didn't get the chance to speak when her friend came. Soojoo whispered something to her, probably telling her that they should get going. 

 

I noticed Jisoo lowering her head as soon as Soojoo rushed to the booth. I helped Soojoo in lifting Suzy up from her seat. She then pushed her friend and grabbed me by the collar, since I'm wearing an oversized flannel shirt, it was easier for her. 

 

She pulled me in, too close—her face just inches away from mine. I gulped as I saw how her eyes looked deep into mine. 

 

"Can you not hear me?" I can feel her hot breath hitting my lips. "I said, you're cute." I stood there dumbfounded. 

 

Her friend tried to pull her arm while saying, "You're insanely drunk. Let's go home now. Come on."

 

She flicked her hands away and went back to mine. She aggressively held each side of my cheek and was about to kiss me when I suddenly shifted her arms to my side and carried her on my shoulders. I don't want to ruin what we have or could have because of something she did unaware of.

 

She tried to resist putting light punches off my back but I ignored it. I motioned her friend and she followed us. She pointed on her car and opened the backseat. Suzy probably got tired from resisting as she was now snoring lightly when I laid her gently on the car seat. 

 

"Thank you. Rosie right?" Soojoo asked. 

 

"Yes. Don't bother, she's also my friend. Take care of her," I smiled at her which she reciprocated and went to her car. I waited til they hit the road and went back to Jisoo. 

 

.___.

 

A couple of days later, I luckily found a job as an Uber driver. I haven't seen Suzy, since the bar incident so I got a little worried about her. But didn't think much about it, she's probably busy.

 

It was around 8 in the evening when I arrived at the destination of my last client for the day. She went out of the car and stood by the window.

 

I rolled the window down of the passenger's seat. She lowered her head and said, "I'll add thirty on my balance, I just need to run an errand inside. Would that be okay?"

 

"Sure." 

 

She gave half of it for the meantime and went inside. I parked somewhere near the restaurant and waited for like half an hour.

 

Someone opened the back door and went inside. I didn't bother to look who it was since I'm expecting my client to come back. I reclined my seat back to its position and the ignition. 

 

She suddenly shouted, "Excuse me?! Can we go now?!" 

 

"Miss, relax. The car's heating up a bit," I averted my gaze to the backseat when I saw her. 

 

"Hurry up!" She gru mbled looking sideways. 

 

"You!"

"Miss Kim?"

We said in unison, once our eyes landed at each other.