Chapter Four

Dream High 2: The Idol's Life

Rian buried her head in her hands, as memories of the online complaints and criticisms of her acting swamped her. She stared at the tv screen in dismay. Her acting was so bad that even she was horrified. Yes, it was that bad.

JB slid himself into the seat opposite her, "You look upset." He glanced at the screen, and a smile flashed across his lips, "It must not be very good?"

Rian tried to cover up, "I'm just touched by my own acting!" But JB just rolled his eyes, "Sure, sure, whatever you say." He teased.

Rian's lip curled. She stood up, striding towards the staircase. JB hurried after her, "Not going to check out the comments online?" Rian sighed, "I want to, but it's against the rules, remember." But JB raised an eye, "Since when are you such a follower of the rules?"

Rian stopped abruptly. She turned around, a falsely sweet smile on her face as she asked, "Do you still like me?"

JB halted. He stared at Rian, "What?"

"You just keep on baiting me, so doesn't that mean you like me? Don't forget, I may not follow the rules much, but you're a stickler for them, aren't you? And dating here...is against the rules." With a satisfied grin, she strode off, leaving JB staring after her in disbelief.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next day, the students of Kirin Art School were given their first ever proper dance lesson.

Ji-soo, the dance choreographer for HershE and Eden, stood at the front of the class, glaring at the non-idol students. In a cold, harsh voice, she demanded, "What do you clowns think you're doing?"

The students stirred uneasily while the idols glanced about nonchalantly.

"You." Ji-soo said, pointing at Yoojin. "Why weren't you dancing?"

Yoojin scoffed, "How did you expect us to follow that dance? I'm sure this is a dance that they," he jerked his head rudely at the idols, "Have danced dozens of times, but we-"

Before he could continue, Ji-soo told him, "This is their first time as well."

There was a pause.

Ji-soo gaze was stony as she demanded, "What have you all been doing for the last three years? Even if I don't expect you guys to be geniuses at dancing, but I still expect the basics! If you can't even do that, then you jolly well practice as long as necessary, until you're at least at the basic standard!"

The students shifted about, uncomfortable. JB and Rian glanced at each other, and, all of a sudden, he thought back to that time...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JB started as he heard music blaring from the practice room. He frowned. He thought that everyone had returned to their rooms already. Turning around, he headed to the practice room and peeked through the glass panel.

Rian, the new trainee, was busy practicing. She looked exhausted, her long hair unruly, her face covered in sweat. JB recognised the dance as the one Ji-soo had just taught them today. He remembered that Rian had been unable to follow the dance at the same pace as the others during the training session, due to her inexperience.

Rian stopped with a jerk, surprised as the music stopped abruptly. She turned around, only to see one of the male trainees, JB. She straightened up, bowing immediately, "Hi."

JB smiled warmly at her. He held out a cold drink, "Here, take a break."

Rian took the drink, thanking him gratefully. As she sat down on the floor, she was surprised when JB sat down beside her. He glanced at her for a moment, and she shifted, slightly uneasy. With a grin, he fished out a handkerchief and pulled Rian around to face him. Rian stared at him, surprised. The surprise turned to shock, then embarrassment, as JB reached out and wiped the sweat from Rian's face.

After a moment, JB pulled back. Rian could feel her face burning up at the close proximity of the older trainee. She turned away, hoping that he couldn't hear how hard her heart was beating.

JB spoke, his tone amiable, "It's way after curfew, you should get back to your room."

But Rian shook her head, "I want to catch up with the dance first." JB glanced at her, and smiled, "It's good to see a trainee so hardworking, but honestly, you're already really good. You're better than Ailee and Nana were when they first arrived. You're just not used to the pace."

Rian turned to him hopefully, "Really? Is that the truth?"

JB laughed amusedly, "Why would I lie to you?"

Rian looked happier for a moment. Then she looked down and said quietly, "But, even so, I still want to be able to do as well as the rest of you. You're all so good, and I'm the only one who can't follow..." her voice trailed off.

JB hesitated for a moment. Then he offered, "I can teach you."

Rian looked up, startled. She stared at JB uncertainly for a moment. Then she remembered what Ji-soo had said during the training session, about how JB was the best dancer in the entire company. With a uncertain smile, she stammered, "I...I, uh... If you could, I would really uh...um..."

JB just grinned. He held out his pinky, "It's settled, then?"

There was a pause as Rian stared. Then she smiled and hooked her pinky with his, "Thanks a lot."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From the expression on Rian's face, JB could tell that she had remembered that time as well. Their eyes met briefly, then Rian's eyes darted away, staring at the ground.

The duo were interrupted as Ji-soo snapped harshly, "Don't you understand what I'm saying? I'm telling you to get out while I'm still not too furious. Surely you can understand words, even if you can't dance?"

With an angry scoff, Yoojin strode out of the crowd, heading for the door. One by one, some of the students began to follow him.

Ji-soo was unconcerned. She walked back to the computer, telling them, "All of you, follow JB."

JB walked up to the front, rolling his shoulders. As G-Dragon's Heartbreaker began to play, the former backup dancer, and the only capable dancer in all of Kirin Art, Ui-Bong, began to dance his way to the front.

-------------------------------------

Next chapter up! I hope you guys like the Rian/JB scene :) for the record, there's going to be quite a lot of these scenes in the first few chapters, where I'm still laying out the background, so you can find out more about their past. Did you guys watch yesterday's episode? I didn't really like the ending, though. It would have been nicer if the lovelines were clearly drawn, because that would at least give us a clear resolution to the story. But I'm just going to imagine that the JJ couple got together in the end~

On a side note, can you guys comment on who you want Jr to end up with, Seul or Ailee, and who you want Nana to end up with, Hong-Joo or Siwoo. I like all of those pairing, and at the moment I really can't decide, so I'll let you guys choose. And remember, subscribe and comment!