Chapter Seventeen

Dream High 2: The Idol's Life

 

The door slammed as the President strode in and sat down at his chair. JB and Siwoo stood before him, waiting. Siwoo’s expression was worried, his eyes fixed on JB, but JB just stared blindly ahead, his expression blank.

The President looked up at JB, “Well? What do you have to say for yourself?”

JB was silent.

There was a pause, then the President sighed, “Siwoo, leave us for a moment.”

Siwoo hesitated, glancing at the President, then back at JB. He bowed his head, and left the room. The President locked his fingers together, his expression more serious than JB had ever seen before, “You’re the biggest star of our country, JB. You know that. Eden is the most popular boy band, and you’re the most popular idol. And now, you’ve created a big problem for me. That explosion – what did you think you were doing? Do you think it’s cool, beating people up? Do you think it makes you look hot?”

JB did not reply.

“Don’t think I don’t know what this is about. I told you when you debuted, your relationship with Rian cannot be. The fangirls and fanboys would tear you all to pieces, and you’ll never be popular. I thought you’d got everything settled, I thought you were on the right track. But what is this? After we came to this school, everything’s been going off-track for you.” The President slammed his palm on the table, “You’re ruining all the effort everyone has put in to make you famous, Jang Woojae!”

JB’s fist clenched.

The President waited for his top idol to say something, but JB remained stubbornly silent. Finally, the President sighed, “I didn’t want to do this, JB, but you leave me with no choice.” He took an envelope out from one of his drawer and tossed it at JB, “You leave tomorrow.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Siwoo waited impatiently, tapping his feet as he waited for JB to return. His phone rang, and he quickly picked up, “Nana? Is that you? How’s things down there? What about Rian?”

Nana’s voice was annoyed, “Everyone’s just continuing and trying to pretend that nothing happened, but Rian’s gone back to her room. I hope she’s feeling guilty about it. Damn, she may be my best friend, but I have to say she was a about this.”

Siwoo’s voice was not amused, “A ? I think that’s a little tame, Nana. She pushed JB off the goddamn edge. She knew he was breaking, and she still went ahead. What is her problem, dammit?”

“I wouldn’t know, would I? The two of them have been weird since Eden’s debut. Anyway, are you coming back?” Nana asked. Siwoo shook his head, even though Nana couldn’t see him, “I want to stay with JB. Talk to him for a while. You should talk to Rian too.”

“All right. See you.”

As Siwoo hung up, the door opened and JB trudged in, his body seemingly lifeless. He sat down on his bed, his body slumped. Siwoo hesitated, then walked over to him and sat down next to him, putting an arm around his shoulder, “You all right, buddy? What did the President say to you?”

JB swallowed, hard. For a moment, Siwoo thought that there were tears forming in his eyes. Then JB blinked, and his hand lifted slowly, tiredly. Siwoo frowned, “An envelope?” He took it from JB. It was not sealed.

Siwoo looked up at JB in shock, “This…what? This…a ticket to America…what…why…”

“I leave tomorrow. I don’t know when I’ll be coming back.”

“Why?” Siwoo’s voice was distraught as he stared at JB’s tired, almost dead face, “Why would he…is this some sort of sick punishment?”

“He says he’s sending me there for further training.”

There was a long silence. Then Siwoo clapped his leader and best friend on the back, “Well, I guess we better make the best of the time we have left.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next morning, JB and Siwoo were both up early, heading to the canteen for breakfast. On their way, they met Jr, Soon-doong, and Haesung. Jr’s gaze was hostile as he glared at JB, “I hope you’re glad, you brute. Yoojin’s landed in the hospital for the next few months, all thanks to you.”

JB did not reply. Soon-doong grabbed Jr’s hand, quickly dragging him away. Haesung faced JB, her expression worried, “Are you all right? Did…did anything…were you punished?”

JB forced a smile, “Nothing serious, thanks.” He brushed past her without another word. As he and Siwoo sat down at an empty table, Siwoo raised a hand, “Look, the others are here.”

JB’s eyes flickered up, just in time to see Rian, Nana and Ailee enter. Nana and Ailee immediately made for their table, while Rian hesitated. JB’s mouth tightened into a hard line.

As the three girls sat down at the table, Nana glanced at JB, “You feeling all right now?”

JB looked down, “Yes, I’m fine.”

“I think the one who isn’t all right is probably Yoojin, considering he was the one who was nearly beaten to death.” Rian spoke coolly. JB’s eyes flickered to her, and Rian’s hard façade nearly crumbled in front of his gaze. Something had changed in him. He didn’t look angry or upset anymore. Instead he just looked bitter and resigned.

“Yeah, and that’s all you care about, isn’t it?” Siwoo asked, his voice colder and more hostile than Rian had ever heard before. Rian’s eyes glanced at him, and forced her face to become just as indifferent, her voice just as cold, “He’s the one who nearly got killed, wasn’t he? I think that’s what everyone should care about, as opposed to the one who was giving the beating.”

JB’s eyes went up to Rian’s face, and the indifference on her face was like a stab to his own heart. His smile was a small, bitter thing, “I suppose no one would like a brute like me as opposed to a gentleman like him, would they?”

“It took a while for you to realize, didn’t you?”

There was a long, awkward pause. JB got up, “I’ll meet you outside, Siwoo.”

As he headed out of the canteen, Siwoo glared venomously at Rian, “Goddammit, Lee Ji Kyung, stop being such a ing .” He shoved his chair back and stormed out.

Ailee and Nana glanced at each other uneasily, while Rian stared down at her food.

Siwoo caught up with JB, who was standing at the entrance with the President and Ji Soo. Ji Soo was holding JB’s luggage. The President glanced at JB, “I hope that you’d have grown up when you come back.” He placed something in JB’s hands, then strode away. JB glanced at it. It was another envelope.

Ji Soo stepped forward. Her expression was the cold, professional one they were used to. Instead, she looked sad, “I don’t agree with this decision, but I think it’s for the best. Make sure you eat properly, and take care of yourself, all right? There’s cash and credit cards in that envelope. If you need anything, just call. The company’s American branch will take care of you. All right?”

JB bowed his head, smiling gratefully, “Thank you, teacher.” Ji Soo patted JB on the shoulder. Then she stepped away, making space for Siwoo.

Siwoo grasped JB, hugging him tightly, “Take care, man.” As he moved back, he could see JB fighting back tears. Siwoo could feel tears trickling down his cheeks, but he made no move to stop them or wipe them away. He put a hand around JB’s neck, holding him forward, “Make sure you come back, all right? Eden will always be waiting for you.”

JB nodded, choking, unable to speak. Ji Soo looked up, “Your cab’s here.” She handed JB his luggage. The cab driver took his luggage, putting it in the back of the car. JB hesitated, his eyes meeting the two of them. Then he turned to Siwoo, “Help me…help me tell her goodbye.”

Siwoo nodded, his head bowed as the tears fell from his eyes like a leaking faucet. Then JB got into the cab, and it drove off.

Nana’s voice called, “What are you two doing out here?” She stopped abruptly, stunned to see Siwoo crying for the first time ever.

Ailee and Rian looked just as shocked as they stared at Siwoo. Siwoo bit his lip, “I…I’m fine.”

Rian glanced about, “Where’s JB?”

Ji Soo looked down, “He’s gone.”

Rian frowned, “Gone? What do you mean? Is he playing truant? After what happened last night? Is he-”

“Look, Rian, just shut the hell up, all right?” Siwoo snarled. Rian looked startled. Siwoo’s teeth clenched, “JB’s gone and I don’t know for how goddamn long, and this is all your fault.”

“What do you mean he’s gone? Where is JB?” Rian’s voice suddenly sharpened.

“JB has been sent to America for further training, and we don’t know when he’ll be back.” Ji Soo cut in abruptly.

Ailee gasped. Nana stared wordlessly at them, her eyes wide, her jaw fallen open.

Rian was suddenly hyperventilating, “No. You’re lying. He can’t…he can’t be gone.”

Siwoo sneered, “What do you care anyway? It’s not like you really cared about him.” With a scowl, he turned and stormed back to his room.

Nana hurried after Siwoo, casting only a swift, anxious gaze at Rian. Ji Soo left as well, without another word. Ailee hesitated, then patted Rian on the shoulder, and left as well.

Rian collapsed to the floor. They blamed her for this. It was obvious, so obvious. And they were right. This was her fault. Her fault that he was being punished, being sent away. She would not see him again, not in a long, long time.

And Rian began to sob, soft, heartbreaking sobs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JB’s head jerked up as his flight was called. He pulled his luggage along as he headed towards the plane. As he was about to go through, he paused, turning back for a moment. Would she come?

He waited, but there was no sign of her. He chuckled bitterly. What had he expected?

JB turned and stepped through, leaving behind his home and the only world he had ever known. 

---------------------------------------------

JB'S GONE! This chapter was pretty angsty, what with JB become a bitter, resigned, world-weary man and Rian starting to regret what she's done to JB. Rian's really not that evil, she just didn't realise how bad things would become. And I loved Siwoo in this chapter, he's so loyal to JB!

Spoiler: Next chapter involves a three-year time jump. Anyone excited?

On a sidenote, please check out and support my two new fanfics. The first one is More Than Meets The Eye, link here: http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/271872/more-than-meets-the-eye-jiyeon-exo-kai-luhan-jjcouple-kaistal-luyoon featuring JJCouple, Luyoon and Kaistal, and the other one is a collection of oneshots, where I do requests, and oneshots on JJCOuple/Myungyeon/Kaistal/others, link here:http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/259461/oneshot-collection-love-in-korean-pop-infinite-tara-myungzy-myungyeon-exo-jjcouple-exoshidae.

And remember guys, comment and subscribe!