Chapter Eleven

Dream High 2: The Idol's Life

 

There was a sharp rap on the door. As JB opened it, he was surprised to see Rian waiting outside, looking slightly awkward. Rian’s mouth opened, but she stuttered over a word. JB raised an eye, “Yeah?”

“A…are you…are you free tomorrow?” Rian asked hesitantly.

“Um…I don’t think so. I’m meeting Luhan and Sehun hyung for lunch tomorrow. Why? What about you?”

Rian’s face fell visibly, and she muttered, “It’s nothing. Just…I’ll be meeting my mum for lunch tomorrow.” before striding away. JB watched her go, then suddenly grinned, “Of course you’ll be meeting your mum for your birthday.” He grabbed his phone from the nearby table and dialed a number, “Hello? Nana-ah? You know tomorrow’s Rian’s birthday right…”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“If I called you Siwoo-oppa, would you go?”

Siwoo rolled his eyes as Nana pleaded with him. He shook his head, “I don’t want to go, no matter what you have to say, I won’t.”

“If this is about JB, can you just forget about your argument with him for the time being? JB just wants all of us to celebrate Rian’s birthday together and make her happy!” Nana whined.

Siwoo hesitated for the briefest of moments. His eyes flickered upwards, to stare at a huge poster of him and JB with their arms slung around each others’ shoulders, cheerful grins on their faces. Then he shook his head, “No.” He picked up his clothes and went to the dressing room to change.

Nana followed Siwoo, whining continuously, until Siwoo slammed the door in her face. She rolled her eyes in exasperation. For a few moments, she hammered on the door, but there was no answer as Siwoo ignored her. She glared at the door and snapped, “Yah! Siwoo! Open the door now, or else!”

Siwoo ignored her.

Nana pulled the door wide open, and Siwoo stared at her in shock; he had been in the midst of putting on his shirt.

Nana reached out and snatched the clothes from Siwoo’s grasp before he could react, “Are you going or not?” Nana demanded.

Siwoo shot her a venomous look, “I’m going to count to three. One…”

“One?” Nana tilted her head, grinning playfully.

“AISH!” Siwoo lunged for his clothes. Nana spun around and called out, “Eden’s Siwoo is , come and-”

“NO!” Siwoo grabbed Nana and covered in panic, “I’ll go. I’ll go.”

Nana grinned. Mission accomplished.

Yoojin glanced at Haesung, who looked horrified at the thought of the upcoming street performance. She was pulling nervously at her fingers, her teeth chattering in fear. Yoojin thought about comforting her, but decided against it. Haesung needed to handle this herself, after all.

Ui-Bong checked his watch, “Where the hell is Soon-Doong? She’s late!”

“I’m sorry I’m late!” Soon-Doong came rushing up, right on cue. She took her place and prepared to start the performance.

Yoojin glanced at Haesung again, a little worried for her. Although they have practised time and time again, but Haesung’s…less than desirable voice had caused them some trouble. He was slightly afraid that Haesung would chicken out again, like she had during the audition with Rian. Although Haesung had a strong side to her character, yet when things became crucial, that side of her had a tendency of disappearing completely.

And it was as he had expected. Yoojin began strumming his guitar, but there was no hint of Haesung singing. He turned to stare at Haesung, but she just stared straight ahead, and hands trembling.

All of a sudden, the crowd parted like the Red Sea. Yoojin looked up, and was startled to see Rian, grinning mischievously at them. The idol raised a hand in greeting, “Can I join the party?”

Someone shouted, “Rian, sing with them!” A cheer began, and Haesung seemed to curl into herself, not even daring to look up.

Rian smiled. She strode forward, right in front of Haesung. There was a long pause as Rian towered over the shorter girl, still wearing a bright smile, but her eyes full of disgust.

And Haesung passed the mic to Rian.

Yoojin stared in disbelief, stunned. He took a step forward to protest, but Haesung had already turned away, her face hidden in shame.

Yoojin’s fist clenched in anger at Haesung’s submission. And then he stepped back to play with Rian.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Look at this.” Siwoo passed his phone over to JB. JB looked down at the video, and his face twisted. Nana tried to peek over his shoulder, but JB tossed the phone onto the table and strode away, pulling the blue party-hat off his head. Nana frowned and nudged Nana, “What’s that?”

Siwoo took the phone and passed it to her, “Looks like JB’s efforts all went to waste…Rian celebrated her birthday with someone else instead.”

Nana groaned, putting her head in her hands, “Are JB and Rian never going to make up? Good lord…”

JB stormed away to the music room before stopping short, right in front of the piano. With a deep sigh, he lifted the small birthday cake and put it on the piano, staring down at it. And his mind flashed back to two years ago, when he had celebrated Rian’s birthday for her.

He had pretended to dance odd, y dances for her, and she had refused to dance…until he had finally given up making her laugh. She finally laughed then, a real laugh, one that he hadn’t seen for two years…

All of a sudden, he heard a painful voice singing from the other music room. He didn’t have to see who it was to know the owner of the voice. He turned to the music room and leaned against the doorframe, watching as Shin Haesung practiced.

As Haesung stopped playing, her hands falling to her side, JB began to clap, a little awkwardly.

Haesung spun around, startled, “What are you doing there?”

“Listening.” JB walked forward, “I still haven’t forgiven you, you know. For hurting Rian that way. For giving up.”

Haesung looked down, ashamed.

“But I believe there’s always a chance for salvation.” JB continued. He indicated the piano, “Continue practicing. I’ll help you.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“So it was your birthday today.” Yoojin mused, as he and Rian walked back to the school. Rian glanced at him, but didn’t say anything. Yoojin asked, “Didn’t your friends celebrate your birthday for you?”

Rian looked away. Yoojin gave a sad smile, “Maybe you’re not that bad after all. You just need a little company.”

Rian smiled sadly, “That hug just now…don’t misunderstand. I don’t have any romantic notions about you, I just-”

“You were trying to make JB jealous, weren’t you?” Yoojin interrupted. Rian stared at her in surprise, but Yoojin just grinned, “It’s pretty obvious that you guys used to date, you know. Did he break up with you? Is that why you’re trying to make him jealous?”

Rian glared at Yoojin, “I don’t need to explain my actions to you.”

Yoojin chuckled. He opened the door for Rian, and then froze, stunned. His expression slowly turned to anger, as he saw JB and Haesung together in the music room.

Haesung looked slightly impatient at being interrupted, but JB stared at Rian in shock. Rian’s eyes narrowed and anger flared in them. She spun around and stormed out of the room.

JB rushed out after her, leaving Haesung and Yoojin together. Yoojin shot Haesung a disappointed gaze, “So. After giving up and just handing Rian the mic, you come here and play the piano with that jerk of an idol? I’m disappointed in you, Shin Haesung.”

Haesung turned away from him dismissively, “You were happy enough to sing with her, Jin Yoojin. I don’t think you have any right to talk.”

“You!” Yoojin punched the wall in anger. Haesung didn’t even look at him, “I don’t want to argue with you now. Leave me alone.”

“Fine! Then don’t ask me for help next time!” Yoojin snarled in anger and stomped away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Rian!” JB grabbed his fellow idol and pulled her around, “I didn’t forget that it was your birthday!”

“So what?” Rian raised an eye, sneering at him, “You think I really care about that?”

There was a pause, then JB shook his head, “There was no need for you to go to the extent of lowering yourself to play with Jin Yoojin, was there? Did you think that would make me jealous?”

Rian’s eyes narrowed and she took a step forward, “Not everything I do is for you, Jang Woojae. I played with him because I wanted to. And because of your words, I’m going to keep on playing with him. I originally intended for this to be a once-off thing, but now...hmph.” She turned to leave.

JB’s fists clenched, “How long are you going to keep doing this?!”

Rian stopped abruptly. Slowly, she turned around to face him, “You don’t seem to get the point…I didn’t start this. You did.”

-------------------------------------------------

New chapter! Did you guys like it? I skipped the birthday scene cos I felt that I couldn't express the emotions in it well enough when I wrote it out, so I decided to take it out completely instead of writing a failed portion. 

Well, it might be confusing why JB is actually helping Haesung again, but JB is actually quite a naive person in this story; his naivety is one of the reasons why he and Rian broke up. This is also one of the main differences between Rian and JB; Rian is not as naive, less willing to believe in others again, less willing to give second chances; while JB is actually a very naive person, who is willing to trust in a person again and again. This is the main reason why Siwoo is so upset at JB as well; in the earlier chapters, JB was trying to erase his own naivety, become a cold person who did things only for himself, and this is not the JB that the other idols know. However, when he came back to Kirin Art School, he went back to his old self more, and he even wants to make up with Rian. Rian is angry at JB, because she considers his naivety as immaturity; she wants him to 'grow up' because she thinks that will help him succeed. And yet she's conflicted, because by changing him that way, he will no longer be the JB she knows. But in the end, Rian just wants JB to do well and succeed in his dreams. There's also a hint of Siwoo/Nana; honestly I really love Nana cos she's always the one trying to bring her friends back to their trainee period times.

Next chapter will bring EXO and a couple of the DH1 characters into the mix! Look forward to seeing them a lot in future chapters; as guides, and as friends! Anyone wants to suggests the EXO characters who will appear more? I will let all 12 appear, but I'll only be focusing on four or five of them in the story. Any favourites?

And remember, comment and subscribe!