Chapter Two

Dream High 2: The Idol's Life

Shin Haesung stared obsessively at the photo she held in her hands. After a moment, she puckered up her lips, preparing to kiss the photo, but was stopped by her best friend, Soon Dong, who snatched the photograph out of her hands, tutting, "If you want this photo, you have to pay up!" She held out her hand, but Haesung pouted, trying to act cute, "Is that really necessary amongst best friends? You know how much I like JB, can't you just give me that photograph for free?"

Soon Dong shook her head, "Nice try, but no way. Haven't you heard of the saying 'there's no such thing as a free lunch in this world'? So if you want this photo, pay up." She tapped her foot, waiting.

Grumbling, Haesung pulled out her wallet, passing Soon Dong the money. Soon Dong tossed the photograph at her, "Thanks, Haesung! Now I have enough money to watch Eden's concert!" She stuffed the money into her wallet gleefully, and Haesung looked outraged, "You mean you were saving money to go to their concert? I want to go too! Didn't you save any money for me?"

Soon Dong stuck her tongue out, "Save your own money!" But Haesung just slumped in her seat, "I can't...I want to join OZ Entertainment, and I need that money to do so...I go there every month, but they just keep on telling me that I'm not talented enough, even though I am! So I have no choice but to save up my money so I can buy that Jin Yoo Jin's CDs, because hopefully then they'll accept me as a composer!"

Soon Dong shook her head and opened to speak, but just then, Jin Yoo Jin walked past. Haesung leapt to her feet and chased afer him, yelling in an extremely unladylike manner, "Yah! Jin Yoo Jin! Hold on!"

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JB could not keep the stunned surprise from his face as he stared at the place that had once been his school.

He remembered the first time he had auditioned for this school. Inspired by an idol who had graduated from this school, the internationally famous superstar K, he had decided to try out for Kirin Arts too, hoping that it would be able to nurture what he considered his talent. Back then, Kirin Arts had been so famous, having produced an impressive list of idols. Kim Hyun Joong, Kim Pilsuk, Go Hyemi, Jason, Hyun Si Hyuk, Yoon Baekhee...the list went on. He had hoped to join their ranks...and now he had. A member of the most popular boy band in all of Korea, Eden. Back then, Kirin Arts had seemed so awe-inspiring, so different to him. The white-washed walls, the beautiful garden off at one side, the students striding in, proud to be members of Kirin Arts. The very presence of the school was awing.

But now, everything was different.The walls were now full of graffiti. Sprayed paintings of disliked students and teachers, rude insults aimed at one another, everything was sprayed onto those once-white walls. The garden was now dishevelled and wild, weeds and plants growing haphazardly all over the place. The students who strode into the school were either hunched over, depressed, or wild and uncontrollable, shouting and yelling as they strode into school.

Kirin Arts was no longer the place it had once been.

 "Sad, isn't it?" The President asked as he leaned against the car, looking at the school, "All because the founder and former principal of the school left for America, and handed the reins to an incompetent new principal...now the school has fallen to this state. Just think, how successful it once was..."

"How is it sad?" JB's voice was hard, and unnaturally aggressive as he snarled, "Anyone with any talents or foresight would have seen this coming. They would have left before the school came to this. All that's left here is a bunch of useless, incompetent idiots who aren't good enough to go anywhere else-" His voice broke off abruptly as he met the cold stare of the President. The President chuckled slightly, "Looks like you memories and feelings for this school remain as strong as ever." He straightened up, "I'm going to have a talk with the Principal. You can hang around and check the school out in the meantime, but try not to cause any trouble."

JB stared after the President as he strode away. He hesitated for a moment. Then he walked in.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yoo Jin glared at Shin Haesung, irritation showing clearly in his eyes, "Look, I'm not going to sell my song to you no matter how much you pay for it!" As Haesung looked lost and confused, he snapped, "You want to hand my songs in to that company that produces all those useless idols that can only look good, and can't even sing or dance? No thanks! It's a waste of good music!"

JB looked up as he heard Yoo Jin's vehement words. His eyes widened briefly.

"In that case, why don't you just check out my song and help me rearrange it? I really, really want this, please..." Haesung pleaded desperately with the taller teenager. Yoo Jin gave a sigh of exasperation, "Why in the world would you want to join that company anyway? The people they produce have no talent at all, only good looks. Why don't you spend your time and passion on something more worthwhile?"

JB's fists clenched. He had said the same thing back then, too. That idols were a waste of time and space. That he didn't understand why everyone wanted to be an idol. It had been so, so long ago...but JB had never forgotten those words.

"To me, this is a real dream. This is worth it. I really want to do this, so please help me! Who knows, you may really want to rearrange it once you've heard it!"

Yoo Jin hesitated, hearing the desperation in Haesung's voice. After a long pause, he finally relented, "I'll just listen to it. But if I don't like the sound of what I hear, then no way." Haesung's eyes lit up in delight, "Thank you so much! Let's go to the music room!" She led the way eagerly, while Yoo Jin just followed after her, grumbling about annoying women.

JB hesitated for a moment. Then a smile slowly spread across his face. Pulling the thick scarf up to make sure it covered at least half his face, so no one would recognise him, he followed after the duo.

---------------------------------------------------

Haesung's finally been introduced! Sorry for the late update, but I was really busy with schoolwork....

Anyways, JB returns to his old school, and he seems to bear feelings of resentment for it. What happened to him in that school? ;) It's an integral part to the story, so read on to find out. And remember, subscribe and comment!