Epilogue

Dream High 2: The Idol's Life

Epilogue 

 

Yoojin looked up from the book he had been engrossed in, startled, as a piece of paper he managed to recognize as a music sheet was shoved in front of his face, blocking his line of sight to the paragraph he had been reading. He looked up, his brows shooting up his face. “Shin Haesung?”

 

The once-familiar face of his ex-classmate smiled, a casual, friendly expression. “Well, look who’s moving up in the world. Getting honoured at one of the most prestigious music ceremonies in the country, huh?” 

 

Yoojin shrugged, more than a little smug. “I suppose it’s a good thing all those idols just love the songs I compose, and they should. They’re all hits because of my songs, after all.” Suddenly realizing something, he frowned. “And what are you doing here, Haesung? How did you even get in, these VIP seats are supposed to be off-limits. Did you sneak through the service entrance? Well, I guess you did end up putting those fangirl skills of yours to good use.” 

 

Haesung bit back a laugh, indicating the piece of paper she’d dropped in Yoojin’s lap. “Actually, no. I came by the main entrance, and the security guard recognized me and let me in.” She pointed at the burly security figure standing at the entrance to the VIP seating area. 

 

Yoojin blinked, his gaze travelling from the music sheet he held in his hand, back to his ex-classmate, who sat down next to him. “Wait, you’re...you’re telling me that you’re...No way. You’re a songwriter now?” 

 

Haesung smiled at him, her expression proud, but not smug, an expression Yoojin had almost never seen on her face before. “Surprised? I was, too. You remember, after the rest of you made it into Superdols, I dropped out of school because there really didn’t seem to be any point in me studying something I was never going to succeed at, and picked up a couple of part-time jobs while helping my dad out at his church. But even then I still felt drawn to performing and music, and after...after that last time I met JB, when I finally closed that chapter in my life, I decided to enroll into classes for songwriting, and as it turns out, I’m actually pretty good at it. So, here I am.” 

 

Yoojin’s brows rose, his expression marginally impressed. “That’s...wow. Looks like you really haven’t been slacking around, have you? So, who’ve you composed for? I don’t think I’ve ever heard any of your songs, so...” 

 

Haesung paused for a moment, glancing over at the stage; as if on cue, the MC began to speak, announcing the next performers. “And now, let’s put our hands together for the Nation’s Top Girl Group, HershE!” 

 

Yoojin’s eyes widened. “No way. You compose for HershE? Rian’s group? That’s incredible. I thought you guys weren’t on good terms?” 

 

Haesung shrugged. “We made peace years ago. And besides, Rian’s not going to turn down a song she knows is good, she’s far more practical than that.” She glanced over at Yoojin. “Why, still haven’t made up with JB yet? Is that why EXO never use your songs?” 

 

Yoojin shrugged. “What happened between us...well, I’m not quite ready to just forgive and forget and I doubt he’s so willing either. Besides, EXO’s got more than enough composers writing for them, so it’s not like they’re missing my songs.” 

 

A silence ensued as Haesung nodded, understanding his words. She turned back to HershE, head bobbing along to the tune as she watched the stunning performance, replete with the girls’ powerful vocals and impressive dance steps. Yoojin took the moment to glance over at Haesung, his eyes running over the once-familiar, yet now so foreign figure. He thought he’d known her - a rabid, talentless fangirl who only knew how to scream and obsess over her favourite idol, lacking such spine that she was practically a doormat for others to walk on, and yet now...she’d changed. Or perhaps he’d never really bothered to take the time to see what she was really like. Someone strong, who wasn’t going to give up on her passion no matter what. 

 

Someone admirable. 

 

Haesung paused in the middle of an awkward head-bob, turning to give Yoojin a side-eye. “What? Why are you staring at me? Is there something on my face.” 

 

Yoojin shook his head with a slight smile. “Nothing. I just realized what a stupid mistake I made.” 

 

Haesung’s brows rose. “What mistake?” 

 

“Judging a book by it’s cover.”

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

“And once again making history with their third win of a joint Album and Artist Daesangs...the Nation’s favourite idol group EXO!” 

 

The crowd exploded into cheers and hollers; some of the fans, in particular a significant number of females, went wild, screaming and shaking each other so hard it looked as if the audience was vibrating as a whole. 

 

The group of thirteen boys moved as a whole onto the stage, and Kris took over the mic, bowing repeatedly to the MC so much so that it almost seemed as if he would never stand with a straight back again. “Wow, I just...wow. We simply cannot believe this honor has been conferred on us, it’s amazing, and we’re just so grateful for all the support we’ve been given, not just from our sunbaes, the company, and our families, but also from our dedicated fans. All of you out there who’ve been with us all this time, this win is for you!” 

 

Kris’s words were met with yet another deafening cheer from the audience, overjoyed at EXO’s win. EXO’s leader held out his mic to his fellow members, waiting to see if any of them had anything they wanted to say; there was the briefest of pauses, then a blonde-haired man reached out and took the mic. 

 

“Well, I think Kris said it better than any of us could have, so I don’t think I’ll edit much on his words.” He waited, giving time for the audience and his fellows to laugh. “What I do have to add is my thanks, to a special someone.Thank you, for being by my side this past two years, always remembering to tell me to get my head out of my when I get arrogant, making sure I remember the importance of humility; for always giving me the strength to continue training even after I’m exhausted after hours of practice; for being the best girlfriend ever! Rian, this is for you!” 

 

Nana and Ailee exchanged a look, glancing over at their groupmate with a small smile; the younger girl was teary-eyed already; as the EXO boys descended triumphantly from the stage, trophy in hand, she stood, holding her arms out. JB took her into his arms, his smile brilliant and warm, the best prize she could ever have. “Damn, I forgot to say something up there?” 

 

Rian’s eyes rose. “Really? I didn’t think you missed out anything. What did you forget?” 

 

JB turned to her. “I love you.”

 
------------------------------------------
And that's the end! Everyone, it's been a long and eventful journey, and I'm really sorry for all my random long hiatuses that probably pissed off a lot of readers! Still, I'm grateful for all of you who stuck with the story all the way to the end, you're the ones who gave me the strength to finish this story! I'm aiming to finish some of my other FFs here so please anticipate it! 
 
And everyone, I hope you'll find a love as great as our JB and Rian <3