Chapter Twenty-three

Dream High 2: The Idol's Life

JB stared up at Rian; he wasn’t just startled, he was utterly shocked. Jr’s mouth fell open; his shocked whisper clearly audible to everyone. “They made up?”

Yoojin was staring at Rian in disbelief; his face was flushed with anger. “You’re helping him?”

But Rian paid no heed to either of them; her eyes were fixed on JB, and only JB, her lips half-parted as she waited to see how he would respond.

Behind the EXO and Superdol members, Hyemi and Shi Hyuk were hovering, having left the meeting with the President and noticed the commotion; Hyemi muttered to Shi Hyuk. “How dramatic; you’d think they were acting in a melodrama or something.”

Shi Hyuk whispered back. “You were like that when you were in school too.”

Hyemi shot Shi Hyuk an offended glare, and he had to bite back his laughter at her expression.

JB hesitated; then he took Rian’s hand, getting up with her help.

Nana could not bite back a small whoop of delight; she covered hurriedly, as everyone turned to stare at her. “I was, uh, coughing. I have a bit of a sore throat.”

JB and Rian’s eyes did not shift from each other; Rian hesitated for a moment, then let go of JB’s hand.

“Okay, let’s break up this little party.” Hyemi cut in, clapping her hands as she shoved past the EXO members.

Jr stared at her.”Who’re you?”

Hyemi shot him a look. “Who am I? I’m your sunbae, that’s who!”

Seojoon blinked at her for a few moments; then he gasped, recognising her. “Go Hyemi! I mean - Hyemi-sunbaenim...”

Hyemi stared haughtily at Seojoon. “At least you’ve got eyes.” She glanced back at Shi Hyuk. “Come on - it’s time for your practice sessions.”

Suho frowned, exchanging looks with Kris. “Practice sessions?”

Hyemi ignored him, leaving Shi Hyuk to do the explaining. “Well, not exactly practice sessions - more like teaching sessions. We’re going to split you guys up into groups today - Chanyeol, Tao, Kris and Jr will be in one group; Kai, Lay, JB and Seojoon will be in the second group; Suho, Baekhyun, Chen, D.O, Ailee, Nana Yoojin and Rian will be in the last group.”

JB and Rian could not stop their eyes from flickering, almost instinctively, towards each other; their eyes met, then both of them coughed, averting their gazes at once.

Nana nearly squealed; as it was, she had a hard time keeping the silly grin off her face.

Hyemi frowned. “Well, what are you people waiting for? Split up into your groups, hurry up!”

Kai and Lay high-fived each other as they moved to stand next to each other; Seojoon pulled JB over to stand next to them, while Rian moved to stand next to Ailee and Nana, her expression one of reluctance.

Yoojin rose as well; he was unable to meet any of their eyes, keeping his gaze angled downwards. Shi Hyuk, more than aware of the tension in the room, addressed the groups. “Kai, you and your group will stay here - your trainer should be here in about half an hour. Chanyeol, your group will come with me. The last group will go with Hyemi.”

“Our trainer...?” Lay hesitated.

Shi Hyuk grinned. “Jason - he’s late, though.”

At the mention of the Dream High dancer who resembled a bird, all the members of the “dance group” grinned.  As the groups under Shi Hyuk and Hyemi started to leave the room, Nana took this chance to murmur to Ailee and Rian. “Come on, let’s go to the toilet.”

Ailee and Rian exchanged mystified glances; they managed to slip out after Nana without everyone noticing, but as they turned the corner, Ailee shook her head, asking. “Um...I’m just saying this, right, but why exactly can’t you go to the toilet alone?”

Nana rolled her eyes. “Um, no, I don’t actually need the toilet, I just wanted to go somewhere where we can talk more freely.” She quickly turned towards Rian, pulling the younger girl forward. “Yah, what came over you? You actually held your hand out to JB? Oh, my god. You haven’t done something like that in...in years! What happened? You realised how much of an you were being?”

Rian could not help but smile at Nana’s eagerness. “Um, one question at a time, Nana. I don’t have ten pairs of ears, you know.”

“Okay then, million-dollar question: are you getting together with JB again?”

Rian’s smile faded slightly at Nana’s straightforwardness; she hesitated for a moment, her eyes darted back and forth as she was seemingly unable to answer. Nana waited, her expression growing impatient. “Well? It’s a yes or no answer, Rian, and I think you know what the right answer is supposed to be.”

“...I can’t.”

There was a short, incredulous pause as both Ailee and Nana stared at her, stunned. Incredulously, Nana repeated. “You can’t? You can’t? What kind of bull is that, Rian? First you treat him like , then you suddenly help him up again and give him hope, and now you want to crush his hopes again? Rian - you’re one of my best friends, but please, stop it. Just stop already, okay?”

“You don’t understand.” Rian’s voice was quiet and matter-of-factly, without a hint of defensiveness. “You don’t understand anything.”

“Then explain it to me Rian, for god’s sake. If you think we don’t understand then explain it, instead of moping and hiding it all away in your heart!” Nana snapped, her patience finally reaching its breaking point.

Yet another long silence; Rian seemed to be struggling on the brink of words, her face containing the pain of years of conflict and indecision. She looked - there was no other word for it. She looked tormented. Nana wondered what, just what, could make Rian suffer like that; the Rian she knew was someone who would not take no for an answer, who would not let herself to feel pain for others unless there was absolutely no choice, unless it was someone she loved more than life itself.

And Rian whispered. “I promised JB’s father.” 

---------------------------------------------

Short chapter this time around, and not much to say about it - this chapter is more of a buildup to the next one where Rian's reasons and motivations are finally revealed! Who's excited? 

One thing I really did like about this chapter was how Nana snapped though; she's always been supportive of Rian, although slightly disapproving about the way she treats JB - now she finally explodes, and THIS is what gets through to Rian~

Next chapter should be up by Sunday, so please anticipate it!