Chapter Nine

Dream High 2: The Idol's Life

 

Nana threw the door open wide, striding into JB’s room like she owned it. JB gave a yelp of surprise; he had been in the process of wearing his pants. He struggled harder, pulling his pants up and falling over onto his bed in the process. Then he sat up straight, a slightly uncomfortable expression on his face.

Nana, however, didn’t care for what she had seen. She plopped herself next to JB, “Let’s go.”

JB blinked, “Go where?”

“Get Rian, of course.” Nana held out a set of keys, and JB’s eyes widened as he realised whose they were, “Isn’t that Ji-soo’s...?”

Nana grinned, “Found them in the classroom, and I think she isn’t coming back. So let’s go, quickly.’

“You’re getting more and more like Rian, she must be a really bad influence on you.” JB commented, ignoring her request completely.

Nana frowned, “Come on, JB. I think they brought them to that old place, the one we always used to go to as trainees.”

There was a pause. Then JB’s eyes widened as he spun around to face her, “You must be kidding.” But Nana just shook her head. For a moment, JB looked slightly worried. Then he shook his head, “It’s after curfew, and anyway going to get her is definitely against the rules.”

Nana nudged him, “Oh, seriously! It’s Rian! Everyone knows you still like Rian!”

JB gave her the evil eye, and Nana immediately changed tack, “Look, it’s just cos you’re the only one who knows how to drive, okay? If Ailee or I tried, we’ll probably crash into like, fifty different things before we get there. I tried calling Siwoo to pick us up, but he ignored my call. Probably at some club again.”

JB glanced at the keys in Nana’s hand, the indecision written clearly on his face. Then he snatched the keys from her, “Let’s go.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yoojin hurriedly set Rian down, letting the nurse tend to her. The nurse looked startled to see Rian, who had fainted, her face pale as a ghost, “What happened to this girl here?”

“She fell off the heights in the training area. I think she might have hit her head.” Yoojin answered worriedly.

Haesung and the camp trainer rushed into the sick bay. The camp trainer, who had heard Yoojin’s words, frowned, “That’s impossible. Rian has been here before, she’s more than familiar with everything here. There’s no way she would just fall off, she’s smarter than that.”

There was a pause, and Yoojin’s eyes flickered to Haesung.

Swallowing hard, Haesung stepped forward, “It was me, sir. I didn’t read the rules carefully, and went onto the heights at the same time. As I was trying to get off, Rian just…” Her voice trailed off as the trainer’s eyes fell upon her, cold. His tone steely, the trainer said, “Meet me in the punishment room, kid.”

Haesung left the room meekly. The trainer turned to Yoojin, “Well done, you managed a timely rescue.” before leaving the room.

Yoojin’s body slumped slightly. What was going to happen to Shin Haesung now?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Rian’s not there.” JB said quietly as he scanned the group sitting around the campfire. Nana’s eyes flicked to him, and she murmured, “Maybe the trainer asked her to run an errand. Don’t get too worked up.”

The trio approached, and the other students sat up in surprise when they saw them. Even the camp trainer looked startled, “Well, well. Look who it is! My old students. What are you doing back here? Come for more training?”

Nana put on a cheerful smile, “Of course not, sir! We’ve already graduated! We’re just here to see you cos we missed you too much.”

Ailee followed up with the flattery, “That’s right, sir! We just couldn’t bear not seeing you anymore. Don’t tell me you didn’t miss us?”

The camp trainer chuckled, “Gotten better at lying, haven’t you lot? Looks like my training paid off after all. And look who it is, the most talented student of all. Im Jae Bum, how have you been doing?”

JB completely ignored the trainer’s question, “Where’s Rian?”

The trainer pursed his lips, “Hmm…guess you haven’t changed much. Still worrying so much about your Rian, huh?”

JB’s lips tightened. The students looked curiously at JB, but Haesung cast her eyes downward. After a moment of silence, Yoojin spoke up, “Rian got into a little…accident earlier today.”

JB’s eyes narrowed, “Accident?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“She’s not here…” Ailee’s voice trailed off as the trio of idols surveyed the empty sick bay. Haesung rushed in after them, and she looked about in a slightly panicked way when she realised that the room was empty, “Isn’t she here? I thought…”

“Shouldn’t you have known better than to simply disregard the rules in a place like this?” JB’s tone was cutting as he glared at Haesung, uncharacteristically angry.

Yoojin cut in from the doorway, “She didn’t mean to. How could she? She had no idea that-”

“In a place like that shouldn’t people be even more careful about the rules than anything else?” JB interrupted. He took a step forward, “Or maybe…you wanted to torment her inside?”

“What?” Haesung looked shocked at his words.

Nana nudged JB, “What’s wrong with you, why’re you being so mean?”

“Who knows, maybe you wanted to take revenge on Rian. I won’t deny that she bullied you, but was it necessary to hurt her like that? Just because you couldn’t stand a little bullying, you had to make sure she suffered tenfold for it?”

“Stop it!” Nana whispered to JB, as she saw how hurt Haesung was by his words. After a moment, Haesung rushed out of the sick bay, her face covered in tears.

Yoojin stared after her, “Yah! Shin Haesung!” He turned to shoot JB a venomous glare, “Don’t you think your words were too much?” With that, he stormed off after Haesung.

“Hey, that student had a point, why were you being so cruel to that girl?” Nana asked JB. JB looked away dismissively, “It doesn’t matter.” His eyes fell upon the bed and he turned to leave, “Stay here, you two. I know where Rian is.”

Nana and Ailee watched as JB left the room. After a moment, they seated themselves on the bed, “It’s been a while since we were here, isn’t it?” Ailee asked Nana, who nodded silently. As Nana looked about the room, a memory suddenly came back to her…

(3 years ago)

Siwoo gently dabbed Nana’s leg, looking up at her worriedly, “Are you sure you’re all right?”

Nana winced. She looked at the cotton tab in Siwoo’s hand, which was splotched with blood, “It hurts…”

Siwoo shook his head, “I told you to be careful! Just cos you were rushing for lunch, you ended up falling right down the hill.” Nana smacked the other trainee, “Oh shut up. Don’t think you’re so great!”

Siwoo stuck his tongue out, “At least I’m better than you!”

There was a pause, then Siwoo tossed the cotton tab into the dustbin, wiping his hands, “There, done. Let’s put the plaster on, then.”

As he stood up to get the plaster, Nana said quietly, “Thanks a lot, Siwoo.”

Siwoo stopped for a moment. Slowly, he turned around and knelt by her again, facing her, “Why wouldn’t I help you? We’re all friends, aren’t we?”

At the word ‘friends’, Nana’s smile faded slightly, “Of course. That’s all we are. Just friends.” She looked down as Siwoo put the plaster on Nana’s leg.

Just then, a girl rushed into the room. The duo looked up, and Siwoo grinned, waving, “Hey, Hyomin!”

Hyomin completely ignored Nana, latching onto Siwoo’s arm, “Siwoo-oppa! You said you would go with me for lunch!”

Siwoo rubbed the back of his head, “Oh…sorry, I completely forgot about it. I’ll go meet you later, all right?”

Hyomin pouted, “Why can’t you go with me now?”

“I have to bring Nana back first, so just wait for me at the canteen, all right?” Hyomin shot Nana a glare at Siwoo’s words. After a moment, Nana interrupted, “You two go ahead, I’ll get Ailee to bring me back to the tents.”

Before Siwoo could say anything, Hyomin had grabbed his hand and dragged him out of the room. Nana sighed. She picked up her phone and dialed Ailee’s number, “Ailee? Can you come to the sick bay to help me?”

(Present time)

Nana’s eyes were downcast as she remembered how she had, time and again, watched as Siwoo left for his many affairs. Over and over, she had watched his leaving back, not daring to say anything, not daring to do anything.

Ailee seemed to guess Nana’s thoughts, and she wrapped a hand around her best friend, “Don’t think too much about the past.”

Nana forced a smile, “I won’t.” She looked up, “But hopefully, JB and Rian will be able to clear up whatever misunderstandings they have.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rian slowly swung back and forth on the swing, her expression melancholy as she stared at the ground. She heard approaching footsteps, but ignored it, thinking it was probably that annoying stalker Shin Haesung.

A familiar voice asked, “What are you doing here all alone?”

Rian looked up, startled. Her lips tightened at the sight of him, “JB.” She looked away, “Don’t misunderstand. I’m just here cos I thought they may have hidden a treasure here like last time.”

There was a pause. JB’s voice was unusually soft as he murmured, “A treasure…”

Rian looked up, and their eyes met, bringing back the memories of three years ago…

-----------------------------------------------------

This chapter is pretty much canon, except for the short cut on Siwoo and Nana. Did you guys like it? It's only an introduction to their relationship ^^ Next chapter comes our favourite Shoe Couple scene, and Rian's confrontation. Let Shin Haesung learn the lesson she deserves! XD

Does anyone else still want to vote for the couples poll in Chapter Seven? For the record, Nana and Siwoo is pretty much decided, cos it's like 26 for Nana/Siwoo and 2 for Nana/Hong Joo. Unless the Nana/Hong Joo fans swarm and vote for their OTP. For JR, it's likely to be JR/Ailee, cos they have about 2-4 more votes than JR/Seul. If you guys still haven't voted for your couple, please do so quickly! The poll will end by the time I post the next chapter, and any more votes will not be considered after that. 

Remember, comment and subscribe!