Chapter Nineteen

Dream High 2: The Idol's Life

 

Baekhyun nudged JB, “Do you know them?”

JB’s face was a mask of politeness as he smiled, “Somewhat. I’ve met them before.” But he didn’t elaborate any further.

Siwoo stared at his former bandmate, “What…what are you doing back here? I thought you were sent to America-”

“To become part of EXO. Now I’m back to train with my members.” JB’s smile was slightly friendlier, “Why, is that not a good thing?”

“Course not.” Siwoo grinned, as he stepped forward to give his former bandmate a hug. JB quickly introduced Siwoo to his new friends.

Suho nodded, “So, you guys are the new idol group that’s supposed to debut in Korea? What’s your group name?”

“Our CEO decided to name us Superdols. Don’t ask me why.” Yoojin replied, looking grumpy, “It’s so not cool.”

Suho nodded, “Superdols. That’s an…interesting name. And your leader?”

“That would be me.” Nana stepped forward with a pleasant smile to shake Suho’s hand, “You’re the leader of EXO?”

“That’s right.” Suho gave Nana’s hand a firm handshake, “So, um…shall we introduce ourselves and our positions in the group?”

“Sure. Let’s everyone take a seat, then.”

The nineteen of them quickly settled down. Suho went first, standing in front of the other trainees, “Let’s have everyone introduce their name, their position in the group and something that they’re good at. Okay. So, I’m Suho, and I’m the leader and lead vocalist of EXO. And, um, something that I’m good at…um, I guess…leadership skills?”

There was a general laugh from the EXO members as the trainees clapped for Suho. Kris went up after Suho, towering over everyone else as he started to speak in his deep voice, “I’m Kris Wu, I’m from Canada. I’m the vice-leader and lead rapper of EXO. As for something I’m good at, it would be between my height, my awesome social skills, and my handsome looks.”

There was a series of coughs from the EXO boys, and Luhan called out, “You’re kidding me, right?”

“Well, I’m pretty sure I have a lot of other talents, but there are just too many to list…”

A series of laughs this time, as Luhan got up, patting Kris on the back, “All right, tall guy, my turn.” He cleared his throat, “I’m Xi Luhan, from China. I’m the lead vocalist of EXO, and my gift would be my youthful looks.” He smiled, and Ailee whispered to Nana, “He’s certainly good-looking.”

“Don’t praise him too much, it’ll get to his head and it’s big enough already.” JB called out. Luhan huffed, but returned to his seat as Chen went up. They went on and on, going through twelve members, before JB finally got up. He paused for a moment, running his eyes over the occupants of the room, his new bandmates and his old friends. Then he began to speak, “My name is Im Jaebum, but you can call me JB. I’m the lead vocalist and lead dancer of EXO, and my talent is in singing.” He took a quick bow, and returned to his seat as Suho stood up, “So, that’s done. Now, why don’t we-”

“I need the toilet.” JB interrupted softly, heading out of the door.

There was a pause as they stared after him. Suho shrugged and was about to continue when Rian got up too, “I need the toilet as well.”

“Rian…” Yoojin murmured.

But Rian scarcely seemed to hear him, as she followed JB out.

She had barely taken three steps out of the practice room when she was slammed brutally against the door; she gasped in pain and stared at her attacker in fear and shock. Then she relaxed, “What are you trying to do?”

JB stared back at her coldly, impassively, “Why are you following me around?”

“Who said I am? I just need the-”

JB’s cold look stopped her. She swallowed. Never before had she seen such a remote expression on his face. It was as if they were two strangers who had never met before.

He pulled away from her, “Stop following me around. I don’t need an especial stalker.”

Rian pulled on her offended look, “I am not a stalker.”

JB’s expression did not change. He folded his arms, leaning back against the opposite wall, “So, how’s life here?” He tilted his head, “Having fun training with Yoojin every day? Training with your soulmate, the one you love?”

Rian’s lips tightened, her face whitening as she turned away, “Stop it. I don’t want to listen to this.”

“Why not? You did so much for him. Even got me thrown out so that he could have my place in the Superdols.”

Rian spun around, “You…what? You think I got you thrown out of the school on purpose? Why would I…why…you’re crazy, Im Jaebum!”

JB leaned forward, the cold remoteness gone, replaced by a burning hot anger, a fury tightly leashed as he snarled, “What else was I supposed to think? I was a star, the star of Kirin Art School, of the company! And, all because of you and him, I’m suddenly thrown out, sent to America to become a trainee again! I gave up everything to become an idol, and you-”

He broke off suddenly, as he noticed someone standing behind Rian.

“JB…is something wrong?”

Rian jumped, spinning around, only to see Baekhyun and Chanyeol standing behind. She swallowed uncomfortably, hurrying past them.

Both EXO members stared after Rian, startled, as she hurried back to the practice room. They turned to JB, “What’s with that girl?”

“…It’s nothing. We were just discussing something that happened in the past.” JB forced a smile. Chanyeol nodded, reassured, but Baekhyun narrowed his eyes, “Are you sure? The two of you seemed…well, a little agitated.”

“…I said it’s nothing, so don’t worry about it.” JB responded. Chanyeol shrugged, “Whatever. I’m going to the restroom.”

Baekhyun paused, waiting for Chanyeol to go to the toilet before turning to JB, “You know that you can tell the rest of us if there’re any problems, right? We’re your friends.”

JB glanced at Baekhyun; for a moment, he wished that his bandmate wasn’t quite so perceptive. But then Baekhyun just clapped JB on the shoulder, and trotted after Chanyeol.

JB watched as Baekhyun rounded the corner, disappearing from sight.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Superdols sat backstage, watching the live performance of MAMA that EXO was putting up on Music Core. Yoojin’s expression was grumpy as he stared up at the screen, his arms folded and his foot tapping the floor impatiently. Jr was tapping distractedly on his iPhone, presumably messaging Seul. Rian, Ailee and Nana had their eyes fixed on the screen as well, Ailee and Nana watching with open-mouthed awe as Kai and Lay did their incredible solos. Siwoo’s eyes were fixed jealously upon Nana, who paid no mind to him.

Rian’s eyes weren’t on Kai or Lay, however. Her eyes were, with surprising intensity, fixed upon the lead singer and dancer at the back, dancing along with the others. He had improved. His singing had been slightly weak before, and somewhat unemotive; now it was strong, filled with intonations and feeling. His dancing had always been stellar – he wasn’t as good as the main dancers Kai and Lay, but he was right behind them in skill.

Yoojin glanced at her, noting her intense gaze, and his scowl deepened.

The Superdols had been sent to cheer EXO on for the performance, and take a few selcas with them to show “unity amongst the company”, or so the CEO called it. Yoojin thought it was a load of bull, but when the CEO says something, you do it, so the Superdols were sent to Music Core to show their support. Except the schedule had been changed for some reason, and by the time they arrived, EXO was already on stage, to the cheers and screams of hundreds of fangirls. And so here he was, staring at the screen and watching the testament to EXO’s popularity.

He shot a glare towards the JB on the screen, who was now up and centre, singing the lyrics with the other lead singer Baekhyun, and he thought back to the day when the Superdols had been introduced to EXO.

He’d never expected to see JB again. He’d hoped that he’d never have to meet JB again. It wasn’t very nice, he knew, but all those years he’d been training, JB had always been in the back of his mind, like a bad omen that just wouldn’t go away. There was a part of him that hoped Yoojin could debut before JB made his re-debut, so that there was less chance of them meeting. There was an even smaller, meaner part of him, that wished JB would just be kicked out of the company entirely. The animosity he felt towards the other idol had not dissipated, far from it. It had only grown stronger. JB had, after all, beaten the out of him.

And Rian. There would always be Rian in between them. Rian, who’d chosen him during that competition. Rian, who would never meet his eyes that day, never talk to him like a friend, never allow anything more between them except business. It was JB’s fault Rian wouldn’t let him in anymore.

Yoojin’s fists tightened, his nails digging into his flesh. For years Jang Woojae had risen above him, acting all arrogant and flaunting his status in front of Yoojin. Even now he was doing it, showing off his popularity as an EXO member. But no more. Once Yoojin debuted, he would make sure that Superdols pushed EXo down to rock-bottom, no matter what it took. Yoojin bared his teeth at the screen. He would take everything from JB.

Everything.

There was a sudden knock on the door, interrupting Yoojin’s thoughts. The Superdols turned, surprised, not expecting anyone to visit EXO’s dressing room.

The door opened, and a head peeked in, shy and awkward. And then the girl froze, staring at the Superdols in shock.

Rian shot to her feet, the distaste in her face obvious. “Shin Haesung…”

Nana and Ailee exchanged mystified glances. Jr, the only one of the six who was on good terms with Haesung, strode over, slinging a hand over her in greeting. “Hey, Haesung. Watcha doin’ here? Visiting us? Did Seul come with you?” He glanced behind Haesung, but there was no one in the hallway.

Haesung shifted uncomfortably; her eyes fell upon Rian, then darted away, almost nervously. Hesitantly, her tone more than a little scared, she spoke up, “…JB asked me to come here to meet him.”

----------------------------------------------------

EXO! Just hadta get that out of my system. Did you guys watch SM the Performance? It was brilliant. Everyone did fantastically, especially Lay and Donghae (well, they’re my biases so…) and I have a newfound respect for Minho’s dance skills.

Note: Three members of EXO will be intricate to the story from this point onwards, and yes, one of them is Baekhyun. Can any of you guess who the other two are?

JB and Jiyeon finally meet again, but whereas Jiyeon is (kind of) glad to see him, and still cares for him (although she's still hiding it), JB is full of anger and misunderstanding about what happened...the question is, will JIyeon clear things up with him?

And, finally, Haesung makes her (not so grand) reappearance. Why did JB ask her to meet him there? What’s going on between the two of them? Wait for the next chapter to find out!

And remember guys, comment and subscribe!

P.S: I know it’s been ages since I updated, but don’t worry, I haven’t abandoned this fanfic and I don’t intend to. I’ll update ASAP, so please don’t unsubscribe, all right?

P.P.S: Please support my new story, Wavering Hearts, featuring EXO and focusing mainly on Hunhan, Baekyeol and Taoris. Thanks!