Chapter Five

Dream High 2: The Idol's Life

 

JB looked at Ui-Bong dismissively, a smirk on his face. People all around began to turn, even those leaving the class. The idols looked on, nonchalant, while Yoojin and Haesung’s interest were riveted upon the duo, like their other classmates. As Ui-Bong began to dance, the smile slowly faded, but the dismissal was still clear in his eyes. With his hands in his pockets, he moved, one fluid movement, throwing his shoulder into Ui-Bong’s like a dance move. He spun around, throwing his other shoulder into Ui-Bong. And before either of them knew it, it became an all-out dance battle.

Both JB and Ui-Bong leapt into the air, swinging their hands out in cool dance moves in an attempt to intimidate the other. As they landed, JB swung forward; Ui-Bong took a step back to avoid him, and tripped. He landed flat on the ground, looking stunned. As JB began to breakdance, right at his feet and still heading towards him, Ui-Bong had to drag himself backwards to avoid the idol.

Finally, JB stopped. He shot Ui-Bong a cold smirk. For a moment, he turned away to leave. Then he swung back, prepared to give Ui-Bong more.

“Stop it.”

JB looked up at Yoojin, who had grabbed his hand, furious. Yoojin lifted a fist, drawing it back, but Ui-Bong scrambled to his feet just in time to grab him, “Don’t. It…” he hesitated, glancing at JB before continuing, “It’s just a dance. That’s all.”

There was a pause. As Yoojin slowly lowered his fist, JB ripped his hand from Yoojin’s. He sneered, “How pathetic.”

That riled Yoojin up. He grabbed JB again, swinging him around to face Yoojin. But before Yoojin could say anything, JB said coldly, “Why don’t you stop making a fool of yourself and just get out of my practice room so that I can focus?”

“What?” Yoojin’s eyes narrowed, “Your practice room?”

“That’s right. My. Practice. Room.” JB enunciated each word, loud and clear, looking Yoojin straight in the face, “What about it?”

“Why you…!” Yoojin grabbed JB by the collar, his teeth grinding against each other.

“Take your hands off him!” Rian snapped, suddenly appearing beside the duo. She grabbed one of Yoojin’s hands and pulled him away.

Haesung joined in the scene well. She pulled onto Yoojin, dragging him back as she said, “Give it a break, you’re just a freeloader anyway-” Her voice broke off abruptly as she realised what she just said.

Yoojin spun around to glare at her, furious. JB and Rian both looked at Yoojin. With a sneer of derision, JB said, “So that’s all you are, a freeloader? I think my original statement was right, you are pathetic.”

This time, Yoojin didn’t fight back. Instead, he spun around and stormed out of the practice room. Haesung, in a panic, ran after him.

JB glanced at Rian, who looked away, “Don’t think I was helping you. I just didn’t think it would be right for a student to be punched by a classmate in class.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Haesung hurried after Yoojin, who was storming down the stairs. Finally catching hold of his sleeve, she pulled hard, causing him to turn. She looked apologetically at him, “I’m sorry, all right? I really wasn’t going to say that, it just…just kind of slipped out…”

Yoojin glared at her for a moment. Then the anger at her seemed to fade and he looked away. In a resentful tone, he demanded, “Aren’t you angry? They’re blatantly taking things that belong to us and claiming them as theirs. How can you just stand by and watch them take everything?”

Haesung stared at Yoojin for a moment. In a hesitant tone, she replied, “It’s not that I’m not angry, but there’s really nothing that-”

“You’re the dorm captain. Shouldn’t you be doing something?” Yoojin interrupted. His eyes met hers briefly. Then he turned and strode away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next day, JB was surprised to see a nervous Haesung standing at his door. He kept the door slightly ajar, not letting her see into the room, and asked, “Is there something you need?”

“I…I was wondering if you know the show Avatar. In that show, the natives are being outcast from their homes by the humans, but the protagonist actually is willing to fight for the natives, whom he believes to be right, instead of the humans…Do you understand what I mean?” Haesung stammered, not making much sense as she rambled on, but hoping desperately that JB would understand.

JB’s brow creased. Then he forced a smile, “Your point being?”

“I hope you’ll be like the protagonist, who protects the natives.” Haesung replied hopefully.

“Why did you come to find me, then?” JB asked, as if confused.

“Be…because you’re my favourite star, and I was hoping you…you could…” her voice trailed off, “I really don’t think it’s fair that none of us are being given a chance to shine, and instead have what belongs to us taken away by you all simply because you’re idols…”

There was a long pause as JB studied Haesung’s face. Then he replied, “I’ll think about it.” With that, he shut the door in her face.

Haesung swallowed a sigh. Well. She had expected rejection. She was just a crazy fan of his, and he didn’t have to give a damn about her anyway.

Tomorrow, she would try to convince the President.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When tomorrow came, though, Haesung found that her work was done for her.

Everyone was surprised when the President made a sudden announcement, “Due to the complaints of several of our students, we have decided to review our current system of training you to become idols. All of you will be given an audition, and you will have to perform in pairs. The pairs that pass will be moved to the upper class, with a greater chance of debuting, while the pairs that are…less satisfactory will be moved to the lower class, where they will train until they are of the expected caliber of idols. The pairs will be decided by the students themselves, and, to ensure fair judgment, the decisions will be made by your very own Principal.” With that, the televisions switched off.

Murmurs swept across the school as they contemplated this new announcement. Many of them were confused as to the sudden change in system. Some were elated, while others felt they had no chance to win at all.

Rian, seated with the other idols, frowned as she stared at the blank television. It didn’t make sense for the President to come up with such a sudden decision…unless someone had convinced him to do so. But who…?

------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the next update! Did you guys like it? I hope it's not too confusing...I found it a little confusing to write, cos I was trying to decide what to put in from the show and what not to put in...Please give your feedback!

Can any of you guess who was the one who convinced the President to hold the audition? Was it a ploy of the yet-to-appear Shin PD? Was it Teacher Jisoo, or Teacher Taeyeon? Or was it the President's own decision? :P It'll be revealed in the next two chapters. 

There was very little Rian/JB in this chapter, but a little more of Haesung/JB and even interaction between Yoojin and JB. I also intend to put a greater emphasis on and deepen the relationship between JB and Ui-Bong, so as to reflect their real life status as members of the same boy band. 

Remember: comment and subscribe!