Chap 7

His Unwilling Bride
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Lee Dong-hyun was already seated at the dining room table, eating his dinner alone when Jungkook was shown in by the live-in housekeeper, who these days doubled as a nurse.

“Where is your wife?” Jungkook asked once he was seated beside Dong-hyun and enjoying the hearty stew and steaming rice.

“Some committee or other. I lose track these days…” Dong-hyun stared at soup, “But still, it’s nice that you’re here. Did Areum send you?”

Jungkook laughed, “What’s this? You think I’d let her boss me around?” Dong-hyun stared at him and they burst out laughing, “You’re right, your daughter is a bully, but I don’t mind it.” Jungkook hesitated, “Abeoji, since it’s just us guys tonight, should we try going out?”

They went to a night market close to where Areum used to stay after the divorce. “I don’t need the chair, just my walking stick is fine. Se-youngah has been training me to walk further.”

Jungkook left the wheelchair in the boot and walked close to his father-in-law in case he slipped.

“You think I don’t know this market?” Dong-hyun demanded roughly. They continued walking along the aisles of stores, “what do you think you’re planning?”

Jungkook didn’t respond. So Lee Dong-hyun knew that this was the market his ex-wife sold her fruits and smoothies.

“I offered to help. I wanted to help but that stubborn woman wouldn’t take anything from me but I was grateful that she didn’t keep Areum away.”

“Me too.” Jungkook responded and then stopped.

“You don’t have to pretend to me. I know we forced you two together. I knew your grandfather had a soft spot for my daughter and I used her too.”

“You did what you needed to survive, and you don’t have to worry about Areum, she can take care of herself.”

“Yes, she is always taking care of all of us. You, me, your grandfather, her mother…” Jungkook’s chest was tight. He took a deep breath, but it didn’t help, “Anyway, Areum tells me that you’re going your separate ways soon.”

“You don’t have to worry about your contracts with Taeyang. There is plenty of work to see you comfortable for your lifetime.”

Dong-hyun shook his head slowly, “I’m indebted to a kid. That doesn’t sit well, but I’m the last person to care about pride.” He stopped and pointed, “I suppose this is what you wanted me to see?”

Areum’s mother was at her stall, smiling warmly at customers, chatting to them about the different products on offer. It also amazed Jungkook that she was still here, even after Areum had got all that marriage contract money.

“Does Areum know you brought me here?” Jungkook shook his head, “Alright then.” Dong-hyun approached the stall. Jungkook lingered back. He saw how surprised Kim Hee-ae was to see her ex at her stall.

Jungkook showed himself, so she would feel easier, “I brought abeoji.” He explained, “I thought some fresh air would do him well.”

Hee-ae looked at the walking stick, “Hanaya…do you mind packing up?” Hana nodded, “I’ll just take this old man for a walk.”

“Who are you calling old man?” Dong-hyun grumbled but held out his arm. Hee-ae slipped her arm through his and they walked off. It reminded Jungkook of how Areum always linked their arms. His chest pained again. Was she trying to imitate her parents all that time?

“Oppa, want a smoothie?” Hana offered.

“I am so full Hana.” He sat beside her on the stools and watched her serving customers. “It’s sweet that you help out like this.”

“It’s the least I can do.” Hana told him smiling broadly, “I keep thinking what my life would have been like if Areumah didn’t find me that day…it would have . I would have died by now I’m sure.” She looked around the stall, “Areumah and her omma, Se-young and Minah unnie, it’s amazing what they do for other people. That’s why I’m studying hard. I want to give back too.” She stood up to help a customer.

“But…” she pulled an envelope out of jeans, it was crumpled and had been read many times, “I got this from my appa.” She showed Jungkook the letter. He read it with a sinking heart, “They released him. He wants to meet.”

“Does Areum know?”

Hana nodded, “I everyone. I had to. From the letter, it’s still clear that he feels bitter about the whole incident. He blames Areum, Minah and Se-young unnie for sending him to prison.”

Jungkook looked at the date. It was dated for a month ago….

“Oppa, do you think I should meet with him?”

“Do you want to meet with him?” Jungkook wasn’t really paying attention. He felt uneasy. He knew he shouldn’t have taken those letters lightly. His security had been intercepting threat letters addressed to Areum.

“I think I want to make him understand that we are no longer a family. I don’t think he will let anything go until I tell him myself.”

“I agree.” He ruffled her hair, “Hana ssi has grown up well.”

“I had good role models. Even oppa. I want to meet a guy like you one day. You and unnie have such a cool marriage.”

“We do?” Jungkook pulled out a bag of gums from his pocket and opened it for them to share.

“Yeah, you’re always laughing together and doing all sorts of activities together. You don’t get in the way of unnie spending time with her family and friends. And even though you’re busy, you always want to be where unnie is. Like the night we went to the club. I thought, wah but does oppa have a tracker on unnie?”

“That…” Jungkook went red, “You see when you’re married and…well my family is quite prominent and unfortunately we get a lot of threats…you understand?”

Hana grinned, “It’s okay oppa. I don’t think unnie even notice

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter