Chap 14

His Unwilling Bride
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“OMG – Girl, if you don’t want him you can send him my way.” Mika gushed as soon as they were alone in the guest quarters of the huge – no huge was a lie, ridiculously massive mansion. It was the type of house you couldn’t see from the driveway. There was even a butler.

Areum crossed to the windows. As far as the eye could see were sprawling green lawns, an outdoor swimming pool with deck chairs and those fancy cushions.

Groundsmen were busy with everyday tasks, sweeping up the dead leaves, watering the plants, t the hedges and all sorts of things she only read about those trashy romance novels she and her former self loved to read.

“It suits you.” Seuli decided as she watched Areum, “I can see you here and they seem to really care for you.”

Areum didn’t comment but Seuli was right. Jungkook’s family had welcomed her back home. Jungkook’s aunt had even cried and been scolded by her husband for making a scene. There was something else in their eyes – relief. She couldn’t get that look out of her mind.

“This house is filled with old people. It must have been so boring.” Mika yawned, “Dibs on this bed.” She flopped down on the king-size mattress and gave out a sigh of content, “this is the life.”

“I don’t think I was bored,” Areum murmured as she caught sight of Jungkook walking arm in arm with his grandfather. Every time she saw him, her heart raced up. She had to get a handle on that. She couldn’t afford to be distracted.

“So what’s the plan?” Mika rolled over and stared at them, “should we rob them now or later when they think they’ve won?”

Areum laughed, “I can’t say that I don’t remember this place entirely…it feels familiar but there are no concrete memories.”

“It will take time.” Seuli assured, “What’s important is that you’re making a concerted effort to remember.”

Areum was a little upset, “But if I remember that means I’ll have to leave the island and everyone I’ve come to call family.

"You shouldn’t feel guilty Areum. This was your life. We were just a sideshow.” Mika shrugged, “Besides, I think you could buy Udo if you wanted to.”

Seuli grew serious, “I think you should come back with us if you don’t feel comfortable by the time we leave on Sunday.”  

Areum wondered whether it would be okay to return with Seuli and Mika so soon. She’d signed that contract but then she had a life on Udo that didn’t just stop because Jeon Jungkook said so. She’d have to find a way to discuss it with him.

There was a knock on the door and a housekeeper entered, “The President has taken the liberty of ordering you some clothes for dinner. He hopes you will be comfortable.” She nodded toward the door and a petite parlour maid rolled in a rail of clothes. Areum wasn’t impressed but Mika and even Seuli went over to take a look.

“Is dinner very formal?” Areum asked the housekeeper.

“It’s smart casual, except on Sundays when it’s comfortable wear. Oh, but you were never around much for the dinner service Areumah. Always working at the lab. I hope you will stay at home more now that you’re back.” She smiled warmly, “Chef is making all your favourites. Pre-warning, he’s gone a bit overboard.” She nodded to the parlour maid, “Ladies, please feel free to wander around and explore. There is an indoor pool on the roof level and a conservatory with an ample supply of champagne.” She directed this at Mika and Seuli.

“Oh, hell yeah. Let’s head to the pool.” Mika enthused

“Areumah, the President is waiting for you.” She gestured with a hand toward the door. Areum said she’d see them later and followed the Housekeeper. By the time they reached their destination, she’d lost her way.

Jungkook was waiting, leaning against the bannister, his legs crossed at the ankles. He told the Housekeeper that he’d take things from here and then they were alone. Areum made sure to keep some distance between them. He pointed to a security keypad on the wall. “This is the entrance to our apartments.”

She nodded, it made sense that as a married couple they’d have their own rooms. This house was big enough to accommodate twenty people with room to spare.

He punched in the code. “No significance to the sequence.” He added and the black wrought iron gates clicked open. He let her enter first, following close behind.

The first thing Areum noticed was how airy and light it was in here. There were large French style windows and floor to ceiling doors with light frothy drapes in luxurious mint green fabric.

The entrance hall was marble with a thick Persian rug the size of a swimming pool covering the floor. It was so thick it felt like it was swallowing her slippers.

Areum turned to face him, “My study.” He pointed to his left, “the kitchen is down that hallway, the lounge is where we watched TV, a small gym in case we didn’t feel like using the main house’s fitness centre, and…” he walked backwards, motioning with his hands, “the master bedroom.” He flung open a set of cream-coloured doors with gold handles.

Areum entered. The bed was huge. Surely a couple who were in love didn’t need this big a bed. The room was circular with a bay window on one side. She went over to check out the view. It overlooked a courtyard with peach blossoms. It must be beautiful in full bloom. She was acutely aware of Jungkook watching her, but she had so far managed to evade meeting his eyes. She was trying to keep things neutral.

“I thought I’d let you choose something from your closet for dinner.” Jungkook walked to the only set of doors in the room and they weee in another passageway, “My dressing and bathroom are down there and yours…” he smiled and opened another set of doors.

Areum gasped, she couldn’t control the reaction at the ridiculousness of not only the size but what she saw in the closet. It was two ing storeys. There was an actual staircase in the closet.

“I figured out how this place works a while back.” Jungkook told her proudly, “On top is all your bags and shoes, but you also have a shoe closet downstairs in the main house so you don’t have to keep carrying shoes back and forth.”

“I see…” Areum ran her hands over the rows of colour-coded silk shirts.

“Down here are the outfits you wear on a regular basis, through that door on the left are the outfits you wear for special occasions and events and through that door is where you keep the good stuff.”

“You mean jewellery.” She knew she was right and it was confirmed. This room was smal

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter