Chap 16

His Unwilling Bride
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Your boarding passes.” Secretary Park handed them the security passes to Taeyang’s private plane. “the plane will be waiting for you on Friday.” He told Areum, “I will send a reminder.”

“I will remember,” Areum assured. He nodded and told the President he would be in the car. Areum got the feeling that Secretary Park didn’t like her much.

“We’ll go through to the lounge,” Seuli said. They thanked Jungkook for treating them so well and then they were alone.

None of them spoke about sleeping together. Every time she looked at him now, she remembered what they’d done and instead of embarrassing her, she just wanted more. He’d ruined her! She needed to get back to Udo and then she’d be fine. This guy had lied to her. He wasn’t as innocent as he was pretending to be.

“The doctor will be in contact. He has agreed to see you on Udo.”

She nodded and checked her watch.“Alright, I guess that’s it. I’ll see you on Friday.” Areum turned away,

“And Areum.” He slid his arm around her waist, “If you’re not on that plane. I’ll come fetch you. Don’t try me.” He let go and walked away, leaving her breathless. Damn him.

Damn him! She couldn’t sleep for the second night in a row. Why was it only Tuesday? She kicked off the covers and checked the time, it was 5 am. Too dark and cold to swim now.

“Can’t sleep?” Mika was binge-watching a horror series in the lounge when Areum went to fetch more water from the kitchen.

“What are you watching?”

“It’s a new series. You should try it.”

Areum tried to watch some but it didn’t catch her interest. She returned to bed. Then she picked up her phone and scrolled through the pictures Jungkook had shared. He thought it might jog her memory. She smiled when she saw a picture of her biting his hand. It looked like she gave him a hard time. They looked like one of those couples that joked around a lot.

Then why were we divorcing?

At six she thought it must be a reasonable time to message someone, “How did we meet?”

She tapped her chin, would he answer? She’d get his answer and then double-check with Kyung-sik ssi on the weekend.

“Omo!” she sat up in bed, he was typing a response.

“We met many times because we were neighbours.”

Areum wasn’t satisfied, “When did you start seeing me as a woman?”

“I never saw you as a woman.” Came his quick sardonic response.

Areum glared at the phone. What did she say to that? He was so full of it. Ah, she knew what to say, “Then why did we get married?” she waited…would he tell the truth?

He took a while to respond, hah! She caught him now.

“The truth is we were an arranged marriage but from the start we agreed to help each other out. You helped me gain my grandfather’s trust and I helped your father’s business with contracts.”

Areum frowned, “Is my dad okay?”

“Don’t worry he is now.”

“Thank you.” she meant it. Guess Kyng-sik hadn't told her the full story. 

“Wow you’re actually being nice to me.”

Areum smiled, “Sorry for messaging so early.”

“It’s fine, I was at work.” 
“Already?” she was surprised. 
“I gym in the morning and straight to work afterwards.”
“Wow, but you’re hardworking.”

“I have nothing better to do.” He responded.

Areum bit her lip, was he saying he missed her? She started typing and then erased it, no she had to be strong. She could make it to the weekend. If she gave in now, he’d think he won and she needed to keep a level head and find out more about his plans.

“Feel free to ask me anything.” Jungkook messaged when she didn’t reply, “I’ll see you on the weekend.”

He probably thought she was interested, she’d show him by not asking any questions the whole week.

The resolution backfired on her because she found herself thinking about him a lot at random times during the day.

When she received any message, she’d check if it was from him – it never was. So when Secretary Park arrived with Doctor Won, she was disappointed that Jungkook didn’t accompany them.

“The President sends his regret for not being able to be present.” Secretary Park informed her formally.

“Is he very busy?”

“He is the President of a multi-national.” Areum just stared back blindly, “Taeyang employs over 1000 employees in Asia and the middle-east alone.” Her eyes grew wide, “Exactly. The President, as young as he is, is responsible for every single employee’s livelihood.”

“It must be heavy…”

“You have no idea.” Secretary Park whispered, “It is indeed a weighty job, but one that the President does without complaining. It was what he wanted from the start.”

“Why?” Areum tried to fish.

“I’m afraid that is all you will get from me.” Secretary Park said cooly, “Please feel free to write down any questions so you may ask the President directly.”

“You have a cruel streak Secretary Park.”

“I have no idea what the President’s wife is referring to.” He bowed and gestured for her to see the doctor who was being paid by the hour.

“I have conducted an initial assessmen

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter