Chap 21

His Unwilling Bride
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The rest of the week went by in a blur of lovemaking and lazy days on the beach. It was on their last night, talking about their departure plans, did Jungkook broach the subject of what would happen afterwards.

“Do you think you could give living with me another chance?”

Areum pretended to be packing, he sounded worried, uncharacteristic of the usually confident President.

“I know I rushed things before. This time I promise I’ll give you space…”

“So I can live in the guest room then?” she took the teasing to another level.

“Like hell!” was his automatic response, “I mean…really?”

Areum laughed, “I’m kidding. It would be pretty silly after we spent the whole week together.”

He was relieved that they were past the back-and-forth phase of their relationship.

“And…I’ll do one better by starting sessions with the team of doctors you have waiting in the wings.”

“You are in a good mood.”

Areum stopped packing and sat on the edge of the bed, “I did a lot of soul searching this week and I realised that I was just running away. At first, I was running away from my attacker but then I was also running away from you and myself.”

He sat beside her, “We entered this marriage with this contract hanging over our heads, but I want to do things differently this time around.”

“Jinja?” she nudged his shoulder.

He nudged her back, “Really.”

 

Areum flittered from room to room, packing up the little belongings she had accumulated in the year she’d lived on Udo as just Areum. Now, she would return to Seoul as Lee Areum, the wife to the President of Taeyang Group, an accomplished scientist, a daughter, a friend, a helping hand to vulnerable women – all things she hoped to pick up again with vigour.

Remembering Jungkook had brought on a new sense of purpose. She was determined to remember more, she needed to remember all of their time together because she wanted to be completely happy with him.

“You are always welcome back!” Seuli and Mika hugged and kissed her at the airport on Jeju.

“And you are always welcome in my home.” She winked, “There is enough room.” Secretary Park cleared his throat, his way of telling her that it was time to board. “I don’t know why you make such a fuss you old busybody, it’s our plane.”

“I think I preferred the President’s wife when her memory was gone.”

“Should I tell the President what you think?” Areum tortured him. He paled and shook his head. She linked arms with him as they boarded the plane, “Secretary Park, we must have got on like house on fire. I can tell.”

“It is true.” He told her once they’d arrived in Incheon International and the driver was wheeling Areum’s suitcases on a large heavy-duty trolley, “We were good friends.”

“Really?” her eyes sparkled, and she linked arms with him, “What sort of things did we do?”

“Mostly drank and complained.” He remembered.

“I suppose you were there because Jungkook must have been busy.”

“Ani, you were both busy but always found time for one another. I – always knew your relationship was genuine.” He stopped and gestured to where Jungkook waited by the car. Areum broke away from him and ran to Jungkook and flung her arms around him.

“The people…”
“I don’t care.” She pressed her cheek against his chest. Jungkook embraced her as the luggage was loaded into the boot, “Dinner?”

“I’m starving.”

“Of course you are.”

He took her to a famous Vietnamese restaurant where people came up to them and greeted Areum, welcoming her back home. Asking lots of questions of which she answered truthfully. She had nothing to hide and Jungkook let her speak openly.

Areum finished greeting some business associates of the family and turned back to the table, “My food is cold.” She was dismayed.

Jungkook laughed, “I’ll ask them to re-heat it.”

“Let’s just take it home and enjoy it in front of the TV?”

“Should we?”

She nodded, “I’m a little tired from the excitement.” She paused, “Okay, do we know that person?” she nodded in the direction, just over his shoulder. There was a man, young and very handsome, who’d been watching their table since they’d sat down. He didn’t approach but smiled every time Areum looked his way. H

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter