Chap 3

His Unwilling Bride
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Hey Jungkook ssi…” the manager of the cafe, now familiar with the boy greeted, “If you’re looking for Areumah, she’s already left.” 

“Oh?” Jungkook checked his watch. 

“Were you supposed to meet or something?” 

“It’s alright. I must have got the time wrong.” he went up to the table to order something before he left. 

“Jungkook ssi!” Minah was pleased to see him, “I didn’t get a chance to properly thank you for the other day.” she smiled warmly, “what can I get you?” 

“Ice Americano.” 

“Oh you just missed your cousin or some relative of yours. Fancy guy in a fancy suit. Areum left with him” 

“Jeon Kyung-sik?” Minah shrugged, she wasn’t sure. “Tall?” she nodded, “Looks like he stepped in .” she laughed. Jungkook had to wait for the coffee then left to find Areum. She wasn’t answering her phone and he knew Kyung-sik wouldn’t answer. Frustrated he tried to calm down. Why was he getting worked up? It was obvious that Kyung-sik was doing his grandfather’s bidding. Jungkook should be relieved. He should sit back and let Kyung-sik do the work. As long as they got that formula. He started the car and then switched it off. His cousin was an and he treated women like objects. Areum could take care of herself but… “Aish.” he phoned Secretary Han, “I’d like to see harabeoji.” 

“Your grandfather is on a telecon.” 

“Then I’ll see him when I get to the house.” 

Secretary Han sighed, “Hurry. I’ll keep the schedule open as long as I can.” 

Jungkook smiled, “Thanks ajussi.” 

“Don’t call me that. It always sounds like a joke when you do.” Secretary Han hung up first.

“Traffic.” Jungkook apologised with a bow to Secretary Han when he rushed through the door. 

“Your grandfather is expecting you.” Secretary Han nodded toward the double closed doors. 

“Ah, there you are.” his grandfather smiled and beckoned for Jungkook to join him at the fire, “Care for something warm to drink?” 

Jungkook didn’t sit, “Harabeoji, why did you ask Kyung-sik to get involved with the Lee Areum situation?” 

Won-shik looked a little surprised, “Oh? Is there a problem?” he rubbed his hands in front of the warm flames. 

“Don’t act cute, I know what harabeoji is doing. I thought you said you liked this girl.” 

“I do.” 

“Then why inflict Kyung-sik on her?” 

“Ouch.” Kyung-sik himself entered the study, “That hurts little cousin.” 

Won-shik watched his grandsons with the same glee of a spectator at their favourite sporting event. 

“Besides, Areum ssi didn’t complain about my company,” Kyung-sik smirked, “We’ve made plans to see each other again.” 

Jungkook took a step closer. 

“Why do you even care? We’re after the same thing.” Kyung-sik didn’t budge. 

Jungkook couldn’t reason with this guy. He was a loose cannon. He turned to his grandfather, “I’ll get the formula…” 

“Even if it means having to go all the way/” Kyung-sik cut him off, “I don’t see you having the balls to sacrifice your precious freedom for the sake of this family.” he waited, then continued, “for the sake of the legacy harabeoji has worked so hard to leave for us. I’ll take care of things little cousin.”

“Who the s is he calling little cousin?” Jungkook was fuming. 

Secretary Han shrugged, “Maybe Kyung-sik is right. Why get involved in this sort of matter. You’re in university and you have Eun-ji ssi waiting for you…” 

Jungkook’s eyes grew wider and wider as he listened to Secretary Han map out his life, “You’re a traitor Secretary Han. Just watch me work.” he stalked off.

***

Areum took out the trash, checking the bags to make sure they’d sorted the recyclables correctly. Jungkook parked his car and hopped off, “Yah, I told you to stop pitching up her with this fancy car...in fact forget this place. That would be much better…” 

“My family is in trouble and yours is in danger” Jungkook blurted out, “I - need your help…no, I think we can help each other.” 

“Why should I help you?” 

“Because unless you do exactly what I say, all of this?” he looked up at the house, “And everyone you care about will be lost.” He held out his hand, “So what do you say crazy?”

 5 Years Later 

Why am I even here? Areum drummed her fingers on the table, she should leave now, while he’s busy and not looking. The idea was thrilling. Quietly, her movements masked by the sound of applause and an over the top corporate video, Areum slid off the chair and out the banquet hall. 

She laughed gleefully. They wouldn’t miss her - he wouldn’t even know she was gone.  Her mood drooped, but then she shook her head and tried to get some energy up. It was Minah’s work promotion party and she promised she’d stop by. Leaving the hotel, she hailed a cab and gave the driver the address to the popular bar district. 

“Finally!” Minah yelled and motioned for Areum to sit beside her, Everyone, you remember my friend, Lee Areum?” 

Everyone showered her with friendly greetings. 

“Oooh fancy is here…” Se-young placed a beer in Areum’s hand and they clinked glasses, “I can’t believe you were able to get away. We took bets.” 

Areum sighed and took a deep sip. “There was no way I was missing this.” she’d mentioned the gathering, in passing. 

“Well, I’m glad.” Minah kissed her cheek, “Pay up.” she flicked her hand at So-young. 

“Unnie!!!” Hana who was on the dance floor rushed up to the table and hugged Areum from behind, “You made it.” 

“How is Hana ssi? How is university?” Areum couldn’t believe this kid was already in university and could drink and stay out late. At times like this, when she watched her friends so happy, she didn’t regret the choice she’d made five years ago. They had their freedom, they could live safe lives. Their undercover women’s shelter was still running strong.

“Unnie, wanna stay over tonight? Your omma misses you.” 

“Way to make me feel guilty Hana!” Hana sat on the edge of Se-young’s chair and grinned. 

“Is it working?” Hana asked. Areum nodded. 

“Yes! Shots.” Minah yelled and her work colleagues cheered, “Oh I love this song.” 

“Do you know how high these heels are?” Areum complained when she was dragged onto the dance floor. The music flowed and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter