1.3: i’ve been drowning in your eyes, but you don’t know you’re a silent killer.

Parts of Infinity
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Seulbaenim, have you got any leads on the dragonfly case?”

            Seulgi dropped her files and sighed. “There’s two people who we haven’t cleared alibis for yet.” She passed her files to Jungkook. “The one on the second page is our prime suspect.”

            “Illustrator?”

            The detective nodded, rubbing her temples. “His social media is filled with a crap ton of insect drawings. It seems that he commutes from his place here to the fields out in Daegu everyday to sketch. Gives him easy access to dragonflies.”

            Somehow, much to Seulgi’s bad luck, their rather small town had ended up being a host to a serial killer who left a red dragonfly next to all of the victims’ bodies. Being the detective with the most experience, Seulgi had been assigned the case with Jungkook and a few others assisting her, but no one really had much experience in serial murder cases. The most exciting things they had to deal with were drug smuggling, a given considering their location near the country’s ports, and Jihoon was pretty useless this time around.

            “The other person is...a woman?”

            Seulgi nodded. “She’s also deaf, and I honestly think it would be hard to murder a bunch of people when you don’t know what sounds you’re making.”

            “I’ll have the others check this out.”

            “Thanks, Jungkook.” Seulgi let out a long puff of air. “If we can solve this case, I’ll set you up with someone.”

            “My mom would like that.”

            “And you?”

            “I’m putting my career first.”

            Seulgi nodded in understanding. “Fine, then I’ll convince the higher ups to give you a raise.”

            “There’s a reason you’re my favourite senior.”

"Damn right."

            Without much progress that day, Seulgi headed home, missing Irene sorely. She noticed that one of the streetlamps on her street was out and mentally made note to tell her girlfriend not to walk around too late at night when Seulgi worked graveyard shifts.

            “Baby, I’m home!” Seulgi glanced around as she took off her shoes. “Irene?”

            The smell indicated that dinner had been made, but the detective didn’t see her girlfriend in the house. Thinking that Irene probably went to get some milk, Seulgi served herself the spicy beef soup and was setting out the side dishes when her phone rang.

            “Hello?”

            “Baby,” Irene said, voice breathless. “Are you home yet?”

            Seulgi frowned. “I just got here. Where are you?”

            There was a pause. “I’m...I’m near the bakery across town. The owner said she finally got ahold of the baking pans I asked for last time.”

            “Wait, across town? At this time?” Seulgi got up and walked to the window, where the sun was rapidly setting. “You know I told you there were four murders near that area this month.” The detective was glad that she hadn’t changed yet as she pulled on her jacket and shoes. “Wait in the bakery for me. I’ll go pick you up.”

            “I’m already a third of the way back home. It’d be weird to walk back.”

Please log in to read the full chapter