2.10: In which Joohyun is a loser

Parts of Infinity
Please log in to read the full chapter

            “Joohyun!”

            Joohyun lifted her head from the box she was organizing things from and squinted at her wife’s desperate calls. Leaving her children’s accessories to deal with later, she sprinted to the younger girl, worried that Seulgi might be having a seizure in the balcony.

            “Joohyun!”

            “I’m almost there! I’m almost—”

            Seulgi smiled at the older girl, holding up badminton rackets that looked like they were three seconds from self destruction. Joohyun wondered how Seulgi was even able to touch them without dying of an infection.

            “Look at what I found!”

            “I’d rather not.” Joohyun fake gagged. “I think you might’ve gotten a skin infection by now.”

            “If I can handle you slobbering all over my hotness, I can handle some dusty rackets.”

            “Excuse me, did you just???” Joohyun eyed the rackets, wondering if it was worth it to get closer to Seulgi (which meant Seulgi could potentially touch her with the biological weapons) to slap the younger girl. “Bold of you to assume I’m slobbering over your hotness and not because you stink so much I have to breathe through my mouth.”

            “What did you say? That sounded an awful lot like someone proclaiming their love for sleeping on the sofa.”

            “One more word and I’ll switch your sleeping arrangement with my children’s.”

            Seulgi gaped in offense. “One day, Joohyun.” She narrowed her eyes, wagging a finger (covered in dust) threateningly at the older girl, not that Joohyun ever felt threatened by her wife. “One day, I’ll have you eat your words.”

            “Are you sure that’s what you want me to eat?” Joohyun remarked slyly. Seulgi blinked a few times.

            “Actually, no.” Then, as Joohyun started sashaying her way to Seulgi: “I’d really like it if you could pull a Cronus and eat your children so I don’t have to ever see them ever again.”

            Joohyun braked so hard she almost flipped forward. “You’re really ing close to crossing the line, Kang Seulgi. I’d rather trade you away for a stale cookie than eat my children.”

            Seulgi furrowed her eyebrows at the comparison, wondering if that meant Joohyun valued her enough to place trading Seulgi away as a last resort thing comparable to eating her children or Joohyun was just letting her know that she was only worth a stale cookie.

            “You need to talk in layman’s terms: I have a smooth brain, remember?”

            “Any smoother, and I might just have to put you in the fridge so you don’t rot from its inactivity.”

            Seulgi shrugged. “Your problem, not mine.” She lifted the rackets again. “But if you keep exercising me, then I might be able to stay out at room temperature.”

            Joohyun raised an eyebrow. “What are you, a dog?” She hummed. “There’s other exercises I can do with you…”

            Seulgi shook her head. “Badminton.”

            “Ugh, so boring. We’re not middle-aged men.”

            “Maybe we can spice it up with a bet?”

            Joohyun stopped to think. Seulgi was more athletic, sure, but she was getting old and out of breath (nevermind that Joohyun was a year older than the monolidded girl) and Joohyun generally won most things (something that Seulgi would argue was false, only to lose the argument), so in her mind, it made sense. Straightening up with determination of her face, Joohyun took the final steps towards her wife and held out a hand.

            “Whoever wins gets to have their wish granted by the loser.”

            Seulgi eyed her wife skeptically but handed over a racket. “That’s too broad. What if you end up making me kiss all of your children goodnight everyday for the rest of our lives?”

Please log in to read the full chapter