2.3: Weeding Preparations

Parts of Infinity
Please log in to read the full chapter

            “Hyunnie, we need to go now.”

            “Lemme just—” Seulgi heard Joohyun grunting, “two minutes.”

            The taller girl sighed and headed to the balcony, where Joohyun was attempting to move a giant potted plant into the sunlight. It was a young lemon tree that had only yielded a single, green monstrosity the size of Joohyun’s face that Seulgi had refused to let touch her food. Joohyun had tried to argue with the younger girl, claiming that people like the latter was the reason that so much produce was wasted every year.

            “Are you moving that freak of nature around again?” Seulgi gently pushed Joohyun out of the way and pulled the pot into the sun’s rays. “How many times do I have to tell you that it won’t survive in the city?”

            Joohyun crossed her arms and pouted. “Keep saying that to my babies, and you won’t survive in this house.”

            “If you wanted to have this property for yourself, you could have just let me buy that studio that I wanted.”

            “Who says I won’t put plants there too?”

            “Jesus, Joohyun. We need to go, like, now.”

            The older girl grumbled as Seulgi dragged her into their bedroom, lifting her limbs limply as Seulgi changed her. Joohyun had been obsessed with the new plants Seulgi had gotten to liven up their dull balcony (she had placed them in the shape of a heart to congratulate Joohyun’s second book, the small girl having complained about how uninspirational it was to look out and see nothing but railing when writing), but Seulgi’s romantic gesture backfired as the bestselling author turned all her efforts to raising the seventeen plants of various sizes instead of tending to her fiancée’s frustrations. Frustrations caused not only by Joohyun being too tired for fun activities at night but also for wedding planning.

            “The baker said there’s a group coming in at three, so we don’t have much time to do our cake tasting. If you don’t cooperate, I’m just gonna pick everything I like, and there won’t be purple anything during the ceremony,” Seulgi threatened.

            “But David has to be watered today.” David was a juniper bonsai tree. “His soil was dry when I checked earlier.”

            “Dude, I’m dry too, but you don’t care about that.”

            Joohyun punched Seulgi’s arm. “You can take care of yourself. My babies can’t.”

            “Jesus, is this what it’s like to be a parent?” Seulgi shook her head. “I'm starting to doubt whether I want kids.”

            “We haven’t even gotten married yet, are you thinking of kids already?”

            Seulgi narrowed her eyes at Joohyun. “Yeah, just take a moment to think about why we aren’t married yet.”

            “Because it took you a year to put a ring on my finger.”

            “Wrong.”

            “Because you’re secretly trying to extend our engagement until you’re thirty-five.”

            Seulgi frowned. “We already overrode that promise. Wrong.”

            “Because...you don’t want to marry me?”

            The younger girl threw up her hands in exasperation and stormed out of the house, Joohyun following her closely with a small, almost unnoticeable smile on her lips. Seulgi turned around when she reached the elevators.

            “You haven’t been helping me plan for the wedding, because you’re too busy weeding!”

            Joohyun glanced up at Seulgi after they got into the lift and pressed the button to get to their underground parking, rocking back and forth on her heels. “So...you’re telling me that you’re jealous of the plants that you bought for me? Cute.”

            “I’m not jealous, you dense head of broccoli.” Seulgi glared at Joohyun. “I’m stressed.”

            Joohyun bit her lip, seeing the younger’s serious expression. “. Sorry, Seul.”

            “. Sorry, Seul,” Seulgi mocked in Joohyun’s voice. They got off the elevator and walked out to their car. “I feel like I’m marrying a spirit.”

            “Seulgi,” Joohyun called out, stopping the taller girl as she hugged her from behind. “I’m really sorry.”

            Seulgi sighed, her ba

Please log in to read the full chapter