Five

Heimwee - Epilogue

Yeri ended up staying even though her parents told her to stay with them. It’s been quite a long time since she came for a visit, that’s why they told her to do that. They stop pestering when she says she’s with Jungkook though. With a promise she’ll see them before she’s back home tomorrow.

 

“I’ll go with you.”

 

She told Jungkook about it, but not with any intentions to take him with her. She knows he has so many things to do on a daily basis.

 

“Don’t..”

 

“I’m not asking for permission, I'm just letting you know.”

 

He gives her a kiss before lying down and closing his eyes, still with his formal attire, none of them bring any other outfits except the one they’re wearing right now. 

 

“Why do you like that home so much?”

 

“It’s comfortable.”

 

To think that home used to be something she hates for her whole life, hearing something like this is definitely feels like a reminder that her life is totally different now. She ended up saying nothing and going to the bathroom to change her dress into a bathrobe, she can not sleep wearing that heavy dress.

 

She’s back after a while and Jungkook is already asleep, she takes a spot next to him and even though she felt really tired, she doesn’t want to sleep right now. Because it means the nightmare will probably happen.

 

“Sleep, i’ll deal with it.. if it happens.”

 

She heard Jungkook’s voice again when he put his hands on her back and took her closer to him, his eyes still closed.

 

“I will.”

 

She looks up to him and he finally opens his eyes again, while putting his hands on her cheeks, caressing it slowly. She does nothing but stare at him and it feels like the most comfortable night she ever had for the past month, Jungkook’s existence is the difference. 

 

“I worked so hard.”

 

Yeri is talking while putting her head closer to his face, and gives Jungkook a kiss. A quick one. He doesn’t know what she’s talking about.

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“I was not able to see you for one whole month. I worked so hard to hold everything in.”

 

That was cute. The way she said it and the way she nods her head proudly. It makes him happy and he pulls her into a tight hug once again.

 

“I worked harder.”

 

That’s what he said to her ear and Yeri is laughing because of it.

 

***


 

That feeling of wanting something so bad is already planted in Jungkook since forever, he knows how to crush someone else’s dream and hope.

 

Just like what he wants right now. That small, weak, long haired girl who seems to have everything he wanted and the only way to take it away from her is to make her disappear.

 

He sees nothing but an object to pour all his hatred on his rotten heart. When he finds her running away from him, his desire to take her life is getting bigger. He loves the tension from making her scared over what he does. The sounds of her scream and her steps, the view of her, dirt on her clothes, blood on her bare feet, her long messy hair.

 

He feels satisfied only from looking at it.

 


***


 

 

“I need to look at it more.”

 

Yeri can’t believe this is what she got in the middle of night. Bona called and told her,  her apartment is ruined, one of the mezzanines she made a few years ago is broken and everything on top of it falls down making such a mess in her place. Bona asked if there is anything important in that, but she only remembered a few trophies, figurine, and accessories. She needs to look at it more.

 

Bona told her to live in her parent's place until the renovation to fix her apartment is finished, but she doubts she can do that, she still has many works to do and this place is quite far from where she usually worked.

 

“Alright, i’ll call you later.”

 

She cuts the phone call right away when she notices something is not right from Jungkook who’s been sleeping for hours now. He tossed his body for a few times before opening his eyes and crying.

 

The nightmare couldn’t have happened since she is awake and all, but the only time she ever saw him like this is always right after they’re having the nightmare. She gets confused but she manages to get to him as fast as she can and hugs him tight.

 

“I’m really sorry.” 

 

He said those words on repeat that she is sure by now that he is having the nightmare.

 

***

 

Yeri is doing nothing but watching Jungkook who’s completely exhausted and messed up, drinking a cup of tea she made earlier, he keeps closing his eyes, and holding his head, he is in pain.

 

She knows that her existence in time like this is something that Jungkook hates the most. He must be feeling guilty and regretting whatever happened in that dream. 

 

“Are you ok?

 

The answer did not come up immediately, Jungkook put his head down and let out a long sigh.

 

“It will be easier if you’re not here.”

 

“I know.”

 

She gets up and stands next to him, wrapping her arms around his shoulder, and patting his head until a little smile shows up on his face.

 

“But i want to stay.”

 

She stopped and got down to kneel in front of him, trying to search for his eyes which already looked so tired. It is actually hard for her to see him like this, she’s always wanted to avoid this view, Jungkook who is so drained and hurted by her existence. 

 

“Stay. I know how to deal with it.”

 

He finally stares at her while caressing her hands on his knees, but Yeri knows better.

 

“You don’t know.”

 

She shakes her head because she knows he lied. He doesn’t know what to do, he doesn’t know how to stop getting hurt. 

 

He doesn’t respond to what she said before getting up from his seat, and puts his hands on her waist to give her a hug. She hugged him back while caressing his head so at least he’ll feel better.

 

If it was her, after the nightmare, receiving a hug from Jungkook, him telling her that everything is going to be ok, is already enough for her to forget what happened. But she knows it’s totally different from him. She is aware how hard it is for him compared to how she dealt with it. The thing she felt in that dream was fear, while the one he felt was satisfaction, an excitement. 

 

And when they both wake up knowing it wasn’t real, of course she will feel relieved but he..probably felt disappointed and then regrets when he realized what actually happened. It was a total chaos of feeling he can’t even control, he must be confused and frustrated at the same time.

 

Yeri spent the next few hours staying up, watching Jungkook sleep because she gets worried he will have the nightmare again but thankfully he’s not until he wakes up at 6 AM. He is aware about what she did because the first thing he does when he gets up is giving her a hug saying sorry.

 

“It’s ok”

 

“We can’t do this forever.”

 

“It’s just because I can not fall asleep.. I'll never do this again, I'll just sleep and deal with it, if it’s happened.”

 

She lets him go and tries so hard to not look exhausted so he won’t feel guilty when in fact she is completely tired. Jungkook just looked even more concerned because of it.

 

“You can sleep for a few hours, I'll get your clothes from your home, it isn’t far..”

 

“Then we should go now, I'll be more comfortable sleeping in my home.”

 

“Are you going to stay there?”

 

“My apartment is under renovation.”

 

He seems surprised hearing that but Yeri is too tired to explain and he noticed.

 

“Alright then.”

 

***

 

Wake me up when we arrived.”

 

That’s the last thing Yeri told him when Jungkook started to drive her car, it was only a few seconds before she fell asleep without any words. She’s already passed way too tired, she completely looked exhausted. 

 

He catches a few glances at her continuously, making sure that what she went through on her sleep is not bad. And it seems like the nightmare didn’t happen to her, she’s sleeping very peacefully. Even when they finally arrived and he tried to wake her up, she refused to do so.

 

That’s why she needs to carry her on his back while Mr and Mrs. Kim questioning things.

 

“Did something happen to her?”

 

Mrs. Kim is opening the door for him while asking, she looks worried which totally makes sense. 

 

“She stayed up all night, please don’t wake her up.”

 

She puts Yeri on her bed slowly, and watches her face frowning, because she seems bothered by the fuss her mother made. But still, sleeping.

 

“How can she’s here?”

 

Now it is Mr. Kim who seems to be wondering why Yeri is with him so suddenly after yesterday.

 

“She came to the party last night.”

 

“She did?”

 

Mrs. Kim is completely taken aback about the fact that Yeri went to the party, that was probably her first time, judging from the reaction.

 

“She was probably there to see you.”

 

He looked up to Mr. Kim and gave him a smile because he feels proud somehow that Yeri does something for the first time because of him.

 

“We’ll let her sleep, you don’t need to come home, just get to work from here like usual.”

 

Right, he’s been doing this for the past week, it does feel like his usual routine now.

Mr and Mrs. Kim left while patting his back and he’s following them after covering Yeri with a blanket. She deserved a good sleep after what he did.
 

***


 

 

Unnie, it will probably take two weeks or more to fix your place.”

 

Yeri wakes up because of her phone, Bona has been calling for a dozen times since this morning, and she finally hears the call after two hours of sleep. 

 

“Two weeks?”

 

“Yes, and it will be expensive.”

 

She tilts her head because money is not a problem but staying here for two weeks will definitely make her tired. She will need to go back and forth through a few hours drive. 

 

Staying with Jungkook is always an option but after what happened last night, she is not sure anymore. She’s coming down from the bed while trying to find a way out from her problem when Nana is coming to her with a cup of coffee.

 

“Good morning, Miss.”

 

“I’ll have breakfast first.”

 

“I’ll bring it.”

 

“What about my parents?”

 

Eating alone is boring, whenever she spends her time here, her mom or her dad will wait for her to eat together.

 

“Oh? They’re having it right now, with Mr. Jeon too.”

 

“I’ll eat with them.”

 

She changed her clothes, washed her face and put on a thin make up as a habit, she styled her messy hair to look a little bit better before coming downstairs, she walks fast afraid if Jungkook is gone already before she can see him.

 

“I can do this section first.”

 

She only sees Jungkook and her father at the table, they have papers and documents scattered around them mixing with a plate of toast and a few cups of coffee, they’re talking about their work.

 

She ended up watching them and for a split second, she actually forgot that the man who sat with her father is the same man who was with her last night. Jungkook looked so different, he completely looked normal, like his life wasn’t a mess and he is actually happy with it, like he has no nightmare that has tortured him for years. That his girlfriend is not actually a problem.

 

He flipped those papers seriously, he said something that is so complicated with so much confidence, she can not even understand it. He’s leaning forward every time he wants to show something to Mr. Kim about the documents. He smiled and nodded his head when he was happy with a suggestion Mr. Kim made him. He even writes down a few notes in those papers while sometimes taking a sip of his coffee. 

 

She feels totally defeated once again. If Jungkook can pretend so well about this, why couldn't she? She is the actress one.

 

“Are you feeling ok?”

 

Her thoughts are interrupted by the presence of her mother, she puts her hand on her waist and genuinely asks her a question. She only responded to her with a small nod as she walked past her with a huge plate of food.

 

“Kim Yeri wokes up.”

 

Jungkook lifts his face right away when Mrs. Kim brings the news to their table. Yeri is here, she doesn’t look so much better compared to before actually, but a smile still makes a difference. She walks very slowly but her face is bright, she looks happy.

 

“I need to talk to you before you leave.”

 

That’s what she said after she gave him a kiss, it’s a habit she usually does.

 

“I have a meeting”

 

“He is busy.”

 

She pouted her lips because she didn’t get any support from her father and continued sitting next to him and busy eyeing foods on the table. Mrs. Kim helps her with her toast and Mr. Kim is helping her with her orange juice. They look great, their interaction and Yeri is no longer awkward from receiving attention like this. She seems to be enjoying it, which is good.

 

The breakfast is going on for another 15 minutes because Yeri is here, she makes her parents happy while sharing stories about what she did for the past month. She even promised her to come to another party their company would hold in the future, as a daughter.

 

She helps Nana clean up after breakfast as he and both of her parents are preparing to leave the house. He actually gets worried to think that she will be left alone here today.

 

“Do you want to come with me?”

 

That’s why he asked her if she wanted to wait with him as he’s working.

 

“Nope”

 

“It’ll be boring but..”

 

“Exactly.” 

 

She looks around to make sure no one’s here before she puts her arms on his waist and takes him to stand closer to her.

 

“I’ll let you go today, in one condition.”

 

“What is it?”

 

“Can i stay with you for two weeks? I told you my apartment needs renovation and I need a place to stay.”

 

Back when Yeri asked this for the first time, Jungkook gave a yes so easily despite not knowing her completely like right now. And she knows this time getting a yes won’t be as easy as before for obvious reasons. Because she wasn’t sure about this too before.

 

“Why?”

 

“Why does my apartment need renovation? or Why do i want to stay with you despite our situation? Which one is your question?”

 

Jungkook is taking a few steps back from her so that she doesn’t hug him anymore. 

 

“The latter.”

 

He answers it fast.

 

“I am fine. Just like you, I know how to deal with it.”

 

“But I don't and you don’t either.”

 

“If we keep saying we know, maybe one day we will, do you know a positive spirit?”

 

She forces Jungkook to high fiving her and laughs at her, he doesn’t seem to be impressed by her joke, there is no smile on his face at all. 

 

“I want to stay. I really want to stay. I’m doing this willingly with all my conscience, no one forces me, nothing forces me. You have no say in this.”

 

That’s what he said last night. Even if he told her to leave but she doesn’t want to then it’s all her choice to stay. He has no right to say anything.

 

“Even if you said no, I'll drag my suitcase and wait in front of your door. I did it once, what makes you think i won’t do it again?”

 

She stands there while waiting for what Jungkook has to say about this, but the only thing he gives her is a flick on her forehead, a hard one and it’s enough to make her annoyed.

 

“Don’t bring too much clothes, you know i hate sharing my closet.”

 

He said that while walking past her and what he said is enough to make the pain go away, she has this wide smile on her face that Nana who just came back is asking her what’s going on.