Sixteen

Heimwee - Epilogue

I didn’t know there's a decent hotel here.”

 

The place Yeri mentioned earlier was close, they’re no longer in business. So they found another place to stay. This hotel is so much better, it is big and they can still see the scenery from its window.

 

Jungkook doesn’t say anything and the only thing he does is watch Yeri wandering around the room, checking the fridge, the bathroom, and everything. She stopped when she’s checking out the dark sea from the window.

 

Yeri is a good actress, but he doesn’t know why it’s so easy to read her heart, especially after she lived with him for a while. Just like right now, she’s been doing nothing for a long minute and it is kinda obvious that her mind is still not recovering from what just happened.

 

“Why?”

 

Yeri snapped out from her deep thoughts when Jungkook linked his arms on her waist and gave her a back hug. He puts his chin on her head and it makes her smile for how warm he is.

 

“I was thinking that.. I am on the verge of putting you in a loop of hell again. And it just makes me feel horrible.

 

She caresses his arms while looking down, as he makes a turn  to him. She already gets stressed so much, and she knows it’s written all over her face. She puts her head down, when she realizes that what Jungkook is doing right now is studying her face, and notices something is still not right.

 

“It will probably be easier than getting stabbed, you know...”

 

Yeri finally showed him a real smile when he used her concerns as a joke.

 

“I’ll be fine.”

 

He brings his hands to her shoulder, caressing it and hoping that she will stop thinking about this. He waits for her to respond and it takes her long enough before she nods her head and smiles again.

 

“I know you will.”

 

She talks fast while cupping his face and takes him closer for a kiss. He can taste something sweet from her lips. Probably wine. He kisses her deeper to make sure and Yeri seems to know what he’s trying to do and pushes him away.

 

“You’ve been drinking.”

 

She feels intimidated when Jungkook is glancing at her with a smirk and uses his thumbs to wipe his own lips. It seems like he is aware how much she drinks from the taste he found from their kiss. She drank a full bottle, and a few more glasses before he found her.

 

Yeri is aware why Jungkook isn't really fond of this. He always hates it if she gets stressed about something regarding him. He prefers her to ask him directly or talk to him, or if she wants to vent, get drunk, get sick and be crazy, he always told her to not do it all alone but with him.

 

“I am not going to apologize for something like this.”

 

She talks while looking down because she does feel embarrassed but her pride won’t admit how much she feels bad about it..

 

Jungkook is not saying anything, he’s just nodding his head slowly. Lifts his face to her and stares at her for a while before taking her hands and pulls her closer to him again. She can see a little bit of frustration on his face.

 

“I’m not a kid.”

 

Yeri is talking very carefully even though she still manages to put some annoying tone in it. Jungkook knows for sure that she actually feels guilty about what she did. He already told her a million times to stop worrying about him and his own feelings, since he always tells her all the truths, things he hates, things that makes him angry and dealing with her crazy family is not one of them.

 

“It is true that you brought hell to my life..a multiple times”

 

He puts his hands on her shoulder, caressing it lightly until she finally looks at his eyes again. She looked so tired, stressed, sad, frustrated, pitiful, just like how she looked in their nightmare.

 

“ And it is fine if you still feel sorry about what you did to me, you will have a lifetime to fix that..”

 

Yeri is still not saying anything, she just stares at him and her eyes are getting teary after a while, she’s trying to hold her tears by taking a deep breath but failed and ended up crying, while taking a step back from him. She sweeps her hair and back to stare at the window while sometimes covering her face. It must be frustrating for her to deal with her own worries about him.

 

“I am not the only one who gets hurt.”

 

He continues to talk while trying to hold her hands. She’s back to staring at him, still with her red-teary eyes.

 

 “You should stop thinking that I deserve better than what I have and start to think that your life matters..”

 

Yeri understands what Jungkook meant with that, but she has no time to feel bad for herself because it has been her life for years, she is used to it. She’s familiar with the pain. That’s why she kept thinking about him, about how to stop him from getting hurt because of her.

 

She bit her lips and finally was able to stop crying from hearing what he just said. It is comforting but makes her feel miserable at the same time.

 

“Do you understand what I meant? Or you’re just too drunk to do that?”

 

She gained her smile back when Jungkook put both of his hands on her face, cupping it and shaking it a few times. She nods her head fast and gives him a hug, a tighter one from before.

 

“I’m also worried that you’re going to get hurt.”

 

He said that while kissing her cheeks a few times and pats her back until she can finally feel a little bit better. Right, it’s always them both vs the world why would she think that Jungkook would get hurt alone.

 

***

 

She’s with me.”

 

Yeri left her phone at home, and her parents are very worried. Things have changed, she told Jungkook before that after a family mess, her parents would've left her alone for three or 4 days or even a week before they’re looking for her. But right now, they’re already worried over her missing for a few hours.

 

“Is she ok?”

 

Mrs. Kim particularly is very worried about Yeri’s well being, it seems like what happened before was very bad.

 

“She is sleeping, right now.”

 

He talked while watching Yeri sleep, nothing is wrong with her so far. He’s been watching her for two hours.

 

“You should get some rest too, i’ll call you again tomorrow.”

 

Mrs. Kim said thank you before she ended the phone call. And it's back to silence, Yeri sleeps pretty, unless she is very tired, sick, or having a nightmare, she never moves a lot, talks, or whines in her sleep.

 

Jungkook is actually not sure if two hours is enough to monitor her condition but he eventually gets tired too. He spent another 5 minutes watching her while holding her hands and when she’s still not showing any sign of getting bothered, he kissed her lips and left her to sleep. 

 

He remembers the last time Yeri got sick, she was looking for her mom all the time. He gets scared that it will happen again but it seems like she’s just tired or drunk and nothing is wrong with her health.

 

“What are we doing here?”

 

The late realization hit him and he laughed because of it, they’re supposed to get married in a day.

 


***

 


Yeri opens her eyes slowly when she suddenly feels stuffy, there is no nightmare but the dress she’s wearing is a little bit suffocating, it is tight. She’s trying to go back to sleep by tossing her body but nothing is work, she just feels even more tired.

 

She stops what she’s doing when Jungkook starts to whine about her movements. She glances at him and luckily he is still asleep. She gets up slowly and tries to find something else to wear. There is nothing so she just grabs Jungkook’s jacket and uses it after taking off her dress. She actually thinks about throwing it out because it reminds her of yesterday, but she likes the dress so she puts it on the couch. She spent 10 minutes searching for her phone before she realized that she left it at home. The effect from the alcohol she drank last night came late and right now the only thing she feels is pain on her head. She decided to lay down once again and close her eyes. The pain makes her uncomfortable and anxious so she takes Jungkook’s hand and holds it tight. His hands are warmer than her and not being alone when you’re sick is helping her to think positively.

 

“Why?”

 

He wakes up. His voice sounds very tired, and she just shakes her head without saying anything.

 

“Did you have a nightmare?”

 

It is obvious his thoughts go to that. So she shakes her head once again, but he doesn’t believe it.

 

“ I don’t feel good right now.”

 

She decided to tell him the truth, so he wouldn't suspect her of lying about the nightmare.

 

Yeri’s face is very pale, she looks even worse than when she had a fever a few weeks ago. Jungkook remembers how hard she’s trying to find her mom back then.

 

“I’ll drive you home.”

 

So that’s probably what she needs right now. But Yeri doesn’t seem to like his suggestion since she holds her hand even tighter when he tries to get up.

 

“It’s 4 AM, why would you do that?”

 

“You need your mom, right? You get better when she takes care of you.”

 

“Aren’t you supposed to be my husband in two days?”

 

Yeri talked fast before closing her eyes again and pulling the blanket to her neck. He has nothing to say to that because she is right, he is the one who told her to get used to his care when she got sick too.

 

“What do you need?”

 

He touches her forehead and there is no fever, which is good. He caresses her hair a few more times until she opens her eyes again.

 

“Sleep..”

 

Of course, he nods his head and tries to leave so Yeri can have more space for her to sleep, but she won’t let go of his hands.

 

“I need you too.”

 

It’s a lie if he said he’s not happy hearing that, especially after he felt so hopeless the last time she got sick.

 

“What can I do for you?”

 

Yeri looked good with a smile, even when she’s in pain like right now. She takes a deep breath and closes her eyes before stares at him for a long minute.

 

“I feel pain because I drank too much, I don't want to hear your nags tomorrow, I know I did wrong..”

 

He expects something like a glass of water or food but Yeri is always something he can not guess sometimes. He kept staring at her, waiting if there’s anything else she wanted but she already stopped talking for a while.

 

“Alright.”

 

He caressed her cheeks and she told him to lay down again while smiling. So beautiful, and it really makes his worries about what just happened fading away.

 

“Uh? Are you not wearing your dress?”

 

Jungkook seems surprised when she hugs him and he finds her on his jacket.

 

“I can’t breathe wearing that.”

 

“Are you not wearing anything? It’s cold.”

 

“I’m wearing your jacket, my shorts, and my underwear. It’s fine, I can just hug you to get warm.”

 

He doesn’t seem to like what he just heard, so she hugs him tighter so they will go back to sleep.

 

“Do you want to wear mine?”

 

He sounds serious about it, and that’s enough to make her laugh.

 

“I told you I need to sleep, Mr. Jeon.”

 

He stops responding after she said that and the only thing he does is pat her back, she can feel his heart beat because he takes her even closer to his embrace. It’s warm and comfortable, it’s the first time that she realized how much she loves this.

 


****

 

Jungkook is a little bit taken aback that he wakes up around 9 AM, three hours later than when he usually does. Yeri is no longer next to him, but he can hear her voice.

 

“Why did I drink that much?”

 

He gets up and that’s the first thing he hears. Yeri is sitting in a high chair on the mini bar with a cup of tea in front of her. She puts her head down to the table and he swiftly makes the chair turn to him.

 

“Did you watch the sunrise?”

 

He holds her chin and takes her face closer for a kiss. She kissed him back and asked for a hug so he held her. He doesn’t get to see what Yeri is wearing last night, but now that it's daytime, he can see how she looked wearing his leather jacket and shorts. She looked so much better like this compared to when she wore that dress.

 

“Why?”

 

He can hear a sigh from her so he lets her go and asks what is wrong.

 

“I looked horrible.”

 

He uses both of his hands to cupping her face and stares at it. Well, her make up is basically smeared everywhere, her eyes are red, her face is a little bit bloated too, she looked like she lost a few days of sleep.

 

“I think I've seen worse.”

 

Yeri is not in a mood to joke around so he hits Jungkook’s stomach when he laughs at her.

 

“I can’t get married looking like this.”

 

She is serious about it, there's less than 24 hours left until her wedding and she looked really horrible. Makeup can not fix this.

 

“How much did you drink?”

 

Jungkook is fixing her hair awkwardly because it seems like he understands what her concern is right now.

 

“A bottle and more..”

 

“Good job.”

 

She admits it's kinda over compared to what her body can usually take. But it is annoying that he’s being sarcastic about it.

 

“I promised you that I won't nag you about this, but..you know you brought it upon yourself, right?”

 

He finally stops touching her hair and looking at her with that deep and long gaze, he tries to intimidate her.

 

“I know, but It’s not just my wedding, it is yours too..”

 

He doesn’t seem to expect that argument, that’s why he laughs at her. He doesn’t say anything before putting his hands on her waist and lifts her slowly so now she stands in front of him.

 

“I have no problem, You looked great.”

 

That one sentence and he started to kiss her. She can’t believe that he thought she looked great in this state but when his hands start zipping down her jacket, she knows that he is serious.

 

“It’s an off shoulder wedding dress.”

 

She pushed him away when he kissed her neck repeatedly. He stops what he’s doing immediately and stares at her. He is not saying anything until she puts her hands on his shoulder, tracing it and trying to take off his shirt.

 

She’s a little bit taken aback when he stops her hands, she tries to do it one more time but he stops her again and it starts to get annoying. That’s why she gets up from her chair, fixing her clothes and sighing. Getting rejected is never good.

 

Only one step away, she’s being dragged to where she sat before. She lifts her face to Jungkook who’s staring at her and he seems to notice how she got annoyed earlier because he has this one mocking smile which only came out when he found entertainment in her reaction.

 

“What are you doing right now?”

 

She asked him when he puts her hands on her waist, holding her and acting like he’s not just doing something weird.

 

“Do you have a place in mind? For us to go after the wedding?”

 

Yeri is tilting her head because they talked about this.. Jungkook is busy, and he needs to do a lot to fix the situation at his firm. They agreed to not going anywhere, and she already took a few jobs like photoshoots and some events to attend, so this question is unexpected.

 

“You are the one who ended our first trip together early because of your work, I’m not that type of girlfriend…”

 

“Wife.”

 

He cut her mid sentences, and she can’t help but find the way he’s behaving is endearing. He said wife with so much confidence and was very serious about it. She can’t even hide her smile because of it but loses it immediately when she remembers that she’s in the middle of an argument with him.

 

“We don’t need to go anywhere.”

 

She shakes her head and tries to leave again but Jungkook is holding her even tighter from before, making her unable to move.

 

“Just say a place, We’ll go there, just you and me and I won't let you easily leave..”

 

Yeri is not responding to his words and the only thing she does is glaring at him, from head to toe and chuckles after that.

 

“So you think i look great, i flirt with you and you wanted to sleep with me but you wanted to do it later, that’s why you changed your mind about having a trip..”

 

“I wanted to do it now, if it’s not for your mother who told me to take you back home before noon.”

 

Yeri doesn’t seem expecting that reaction coming from him. She looks a little bit offended but also not as annoyed as before, maybe because she found the reason that he stops her before was because they need to go back very soon.

 

“Did you talk to my parents?”

 

Her expression is changing into a surprise mode, she doesn’t seem to expect that her parents would care after what she just did last night, because they usually don’t for the past decade.

 

“Last night. They wanted you to come back and talk about what happened.”

 

She stops looking at him and starts staring at the floor while fixing her hair and biting her lips. She doesn’t like to deal with her family and it is obvious.

 

“I hate doing that”

 

She finally walked away from him and he doesn’t have enough courage to stop her like before.

 

“If we always ran away from our past when we were alone, I think it’s time for us to face it, together.”

 

Running away is always Yeri’s way to avoid getting hurt. It is easier and she always does that. If someone else told her this, she would probably ignore it because no one is in her shoes, no one as miserable as she is. But now Jungkook, the man who has everything worse than her, the man she ruined, and the man she trusts more than anything in this world..is telling her to stop running away, she has no choice but to do it as he says.