Fourteen

Heimwee - Epilogue

"I'll seriously prepare to become a decent wife for you. I'll do anything so you won't worry.."

 

"I never worry about that."

 

Yeri is not answering him and back to stare at the road.

 

"You just need to remember that you got married to me, not to anyone else."

 

She turns her face back to Jungkook when he continues his talk while glancing at her and giving her a smile.

 

"Are you saying that I should ignore everyone else but care about you only?"

 

He lost his smile, when he realized that what he said could be taken wrongly by her. Yeri is not mad or annoyed though, she’s smiling at him.

 

“That means we would just become an old version of ourselves. I should care, I must think and consider everyone else’s feelings, yours, my parent’s, my friends, and the people around me.”

 

She talks while staring at him close, she has her own stance about this.

 

“But not to an extent where you doubt yourselves.”

 

He changed his tone into a firm one, so Yeri would realize that he is also serious about this. She needs to stop thinking about what others are saying regarding their relationship. It was a mess since the very start and there is no need to find justification from it. 

 

“I know.”

 

“I told you before, if you want to leave, make sure that you are the one who wants it.”

 

“And I did, It was all wrong choices, I left multiple times just to find myself harmed because of it.”

 

"You came back everytime too, by your own decision, no matter how hard I begged, you won't budge."

 

Yeri feels bad hearing this. She remembers how much suffering Jungkook needed to go through because she decided to leave.

 

"And that happens because I listened to others.. My parents, my doctor, they made me realize that I wanted to be with you."

 

She received no response now, it seems like Jungkook also knows that nothing is wrong from what she said before.

 

"We received the money."

 

He started to talk again after a long silence, changing the subject of their conversation.

 

"It's not enough, right?"

 

"We paid the rest, it's fine now."

 

She nods her head and spends the rest of the journey watching Jungkook talk about his work, and the concern he has regarding the failed project. It is good to hear him talk about his life, even though for now it is only about his job. 

 

***

 

"Just stay the night."

 

Yeri is whining, and convinces him to stay when he tells her that he needs to go back, since he has an important meeting the next morning. It's already 2 AM, which makes sense if she wants him to stay. She gets worried about his health too.

 

"I can't. I don't have time."

 

He lets her hands go but she refuses to do so, she's taking him closer and looking around.

 

"I'll find someone to drive you, then."

 

"At times like this, if we called for a driver, they would probably be here in an hour. I need to go back, review my work, and take one or two hour sleep.."

 

"Mr. Joo can drive you, he's always on standby, he lives nearby. I'll call him."

 

She speaks very carefully and quickly, which means that she knows her idea is a little bit ridiculous. Mr. Joo is the only man Jungkook knew for decades as Seokjin and his family. He is the only one who came for him when he was young, basically the one who he saw with his own eyes, for ruining his life.

 

"It’s ok."

 

"You don't need to talk with him, I'll tell him to not ask you anything.."

 

Jungkook knows arguing with Yeri will just take his time longer, he stares at her, searching for her eyes and wondering if it is possible to convince her but the answer is no.

 

"Fine."

 

"I'll call him right now."

 

She finally let his hands go and used her phone right away, she made a call very quickly, away from him and not letting him listen to it.

 

"5 minutes. He said he'll be here in 5 minutes."

 

She's back and linking her arms on his while waiting with him.

 

"He never sleeps, right? That Mr. Joo."

 

He's glancing at her while Yeri shakes her head to answer him.

 

"He's a light sleeper, I think. When I was a kid, my parents and brother were not home and..I was bored so I called him to play a game with me at night, and he came."

 

He laughs at her after listening to that story. Mr. Joo is that kind of person to Yeri, while what he did for him was..

 

"I hate him as much as you do."

 

She seems to know about the reason why he laughed, that's why she said it while putting her head on his shoulders.

 

"No you're not."

 

"I hate what he did to you. It's true, I hate what my parents did, I hate what I did to you. We all did horrible things to you and I'll always remember that."

 

Yeri lets go of Jungkook's arms and tries to hold his hands now, she's staring at him while locking all her fingers to his and holding it tight. 

 

He stopped his laughs already, He doesn't like to hear those kinds of words, and she is aware. But what can she do about it, there is no way she's able to pretend that she did nothing wrong to him after all the mess she made.

 

"I'll tell you this in advance before we get married, no matter what you say to me, It'll take me a long time to finally forgive me and my family for what we did to you."

 

She takes his hands and plants a kiss on it and lets it go when a car is approaching the front gate. Mr. Joo is here, she is suddenly getting nervous about what she will witness when Jungkook sees him.

 

"He is here."

 

She shrugs his shoulders and it is enough to make his eyes move from her to the front gate. He's been watching her for a while.

 

"Good morning."

 

Mr. Joo came out and nodded his head to her, she gave him a smile and he opened the car door immediately for Jungkook. She already told him on the phone before about not talking to him at all, don't say anything that bothers him and stuff. She is not sure if he'll obey her request since he works for his dad and not her but she's still hoping he is kind enough to follow her order.

 

She waves her hand to him when Mr. Joo is getting inside the car first. Jungkook ignores the door and takes a seat next to Mr. Joo instead so she closes it for them. So typical of him, Mr. Joo must be intimidated by what he just did.

 

She shakes her head to him when he's glancing at her. She meant it. She's hoping for him to not do anything stupid with Mr. Joo.

 

"We'll get going."

 

Mr. Joo is talking to her while smiling and she nods her head to him while sending them off. Nothing will happen, right?

 

***

 

"I'm sorry for making you drive at times like this."

 

Mr. Joo is completely aware, when Yeri told him to not talk to Jungkook, it certainly won't happen. He only met Jungkook when he was a kid, but he can already learn about what kind of person he was. He's basically spying on him for months, watching him grow up through horrible circumstances. He knows that he is someone who can not be dictated by others easily.

 

"It's ok, this isn't my first time."

 

"You know me, right ?"

 

Jungkook talks without looking at him but is busy with his phone. He's glancing at him and it does really feel like he knows him but also unfamiliar with him at the same time. He has his own judgment about Jungkook as a person, but he doesn't think he actually knows him that much besides from the days when he was spying on him.

 

"As Sooyoung's brother. I don't know you as Yeri's fiancee."

 

"Right."

 

What he said is enough to make him stop from using his phone and back staring at the road. He doesn't say anything for a long time, but his expression is definitely full of curiosity.

 

"If you weren't working for Mr. Kim, are you still going to treat me the way you did?"

 

And suddenly he talked again. A hard question.

 

"Mr. Jeon..”

 

"I'm just curious, if you think it is morally right to give money to a kid as a shortcut to solving a problem.."

 

Mr. Joo is chuckling hearing what Jungkook just said, and it is offending him in so many ways. Maybe Yeri was right, he's not supposed to talk to him, it's just ruining his mood.

 

"I saw you with Yeri that day. When you bought her ice cream.I was so scared, confused, and freaked out about your meeting. I thought you had a plan and were targeting her.."

 

"I was 15, what could I possibly do to her?"

 

He thinks it is ridiculous, while it is true that he hates the whole world after his sister died. He still has the conscience to live a life properly.

 

"I was wrong… At that time.. Yeri  was..a total disaster, a wrecked ship, i never saw her happy or laugh after her brother died."

 

Jungkook stares at Mr. Joo as he shares his story, he can actually imagine the daily life of Yeri around that time. Endless fight with her parents, running away from one place to another. Blaming herself for what happened to her brother, happiness definitely didn't have a room in her life.

 

"Everyone thought she was crazy, no one ever treated her as a normal kid, they either hated her or were scared of her, she always got what she wanted because people are scared of her."

 

Well, he didn't know Yeri’s life, and the one he knew was just a rude young girl who needed a friend back then.

 

"She didn't cry or whine the day when he met you, she held an ice cream on her way back. I asked her where she got it even though I knew it was from you. She said she got it from an angel. She probably won't remember this because that was only a day from a thousand day of her misery, but I do.”

 

Jungkook  can not judge what Yeri was back then, they've been talking about this and it is certain that he won't understand what she felt around that time. Her situation is totally different from his.

 

"It was morally wrong, what I did to you, but I believe you are a better person than all of them. That's why I reported you early, that's why I gave you money, I ruined you but I know you won't do anything worse than what Mr. Kim could do at that time."

 

He couldn't believe what he heard so he told him to pull over.

 

"What do you mean by that?"

 

"If i didn't report to him about seeing you and Yeri, he would probably find out later. There is a huge chance Yeri would come to see you again. I don't know what will happen if he ever found out you both knew each other."

 

This is actually surprising for him to hear but also makes sense, totally makes sense. Mr. Kim always thought that he planned revenge for Yeri when he first found out about their relationship. He also tried  many things to prevent Yeri from seeing him in her life.

 

"You changed them, Mr. Jeon."

 

It’s the only truth. Mr. Joo is aware how messed up Yeri and her family were even since he started working with them. Even long before Seokjin died. It's typical of how rich, dysfunctional families live their lives. He only realized that it is more than what he expected when troubles strike them hard.

 

Jungkook told him to continue driving as he's back to staring at the road. He heard this the first time from Yeri about how her parents saw him, she told him how much his existence meant to them.

 

"I am sure you know about that too, even before anyone told you."

 

He's glancing at Mr. Joo who continues to talk while smiling. He actually doubted what Yeri said back then, he always thought that this family was changing because they wanted to, maybe they were tired of acting like a jerk all the time. So they decided to change, using him as an excuse was just another part of their guilty feelings for him. 

 

But now that he heard it from others, he started to think differently, maybe they were really changed because of him.

 

"Since you're getting married, you need to know that not just Mr. Kim, but everyone else was like that, the whole family, all of them. You also need to know that Yeri was basically their only flaw for years so they despised her."

 

"She isn't a flaw."

 

Mr. Joo is laughing because Jungkook sounds very offended, and dodging his statement immediately.

 

"If you thought that this family hated your sister, a stranger from nowhere who made an impact on their life, then you were wrong."

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"Someone died by killing himself, they didn’t really care. They think the one who’s in the wrong is Yeri for holding onto it for years and fighting her parents because of it. She made a lot of bad publicity to the family since she was young."

 

Jungkook stopped responding to Mr. Joo and turned his face while watching the road from the window next to him. There is a long sigh coming from him after a while and the next thing he does is closing his eyes and sleeping. It makes him feel good to see him do that, because that means he trusted him enough to let him drive without his watch.


 

****

 

Yeri finally was able to close her eyes when a call from Jungkook came, telling her that he's home. She actually gets curious about how the drive is, did he talk to Mr. Joo or not, and if he did what kind of topic they bring?

 

But decided to not ask him anything, they have their own story, she won't have fair judgment about what happened to them back then since she wasn't directly involved. So she just told him good night and ended the phone call.