Seventeen

Heimwee - Epilogue

Mrs. Kim has her own expectations about how messed up Yeri’s situation was after last night, but when she finally got to see her when she came back. It is still hurting her heart, she looked tired and stressed on the day before her own wedding.

 

“Thank you.”

 

She managed to hold Jungkook’s arms whose back was used by Yeri to hide herself because he took care of her like usual. He nods his head to her and moves his hands to Yeri’s shoulder.

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

That’s what Yeri said when she stands in front of her, she’s talking with her hair down. Her voice is thin but there’s definite regret in her words. She never said sorry before everytime she ran away or after she made a mess outside. She always thinks that what she did, no matter how horrible it is, was justified for what her parents did to her life.

 

“It’s ok.”

 

She pats her back and fixes her messy hair before telling her to take a rest.

 

“I’m just going to take a shower and we’ll talk.”

 

But she refused to do so, she walks to her room before she can even responding and Mrs. Kim honestly has nothing to say, so the only thing she does is watch her gone and back to stare at Jungkook who seems to be done learning about everythings, including the problems he needs to face after the wedding.

 

“How is she?”

 

Mr. Kim came out from his office, and it is obvious that he’s avoiding seeing Yeri before. Well, it was hard for him last night too.

 

Jungkook doesn’t know how to answer that question actually, there are things that Yeri shared with him only and it doesn’t feel right to speak for her, so he told both Mr. and Mrs. Kim sat in the living room without any further words.

 

They seem to understand that he wanted them to hear everything from Yeri directly. So they’re just sitting in the living room waiting for her to come out. No one says anything, including him.

 

Yeri is done after half an hour, she takes a seat next to him and seems to realize that everyone is waiting for her. 

 

“He said you wanted to talk.”

 

Jungkook doesn’t seem to appreciate her pointing him out as a reason why they’re all sitting here, and Yeri knows it. But what can she do about it? It's awkward if she said she’s willing to talk about last night's mess. Since she never does that.

 

“They don’t need to come for the wedding.”

 

It’s really unexpected, even for her. Both of her parents actually never really stood up for her everytime she had a fight with her family. Well, she always made a mess so she understands why they think it’s no use defending her.

 

“I’ll tell Mr. Joo to take care of it, you shouldn’t worry about it.”

 

“I don’t think it’d be good for Jungkook to see them.”

 

“Why?”

 

Yeri is a little bit taken aback when Jungkook is the one who responds to what her mom said. He asked her while chuckling, and it is obvious that he doesn’t like the plan.

 

“They know who you are.”

 

“Hiding me won’t change the fact about who I am.”

 

He is right, but Yeri also understands why her parents are reacting like this. The family already has thoughts about her taking in an enemy as her husband. She’s not sure how far everyone else knows about what was going on for the past two years. But assuming they also know what he did, they’re not totally wrong from seeing him as one.

 

“I’m giving a huge project for Sky, where it requires you to work overseas for a while..”

 

She starts to get confused when her father is totally ignoring what Jungkook said and continues talking. He looked panicked or worse, scared.

 

“He can stay there for one year or more…”

 

And when her mom started to talk again, with her eyes wandering far.. she finally realized that what happened last night affected her parents worse than ever. They even feel more guilty for Jungkook than her. Their worries are not logical, they get scared over what kind of hell they’re going to create for him again.

 

“You should stay with him, too.. There is this..neighbourhood..”

 

She doesn’t know why, but her tears started to flow out again, her heart felt hurt, realizing that both of her parents are actually trying to prevent themselves from making the same mistake they did to their son. She can not say anything when she finds both of her parents' hands are shaking while they’re trying to explain their plan to Jungkook.

 

“I’ll be fine.”

 

Yeri is changing her focus from her parents to Jungkook, when he reaches out both of his hands and holds her parents shaking hands while staring at them with those eyes he showed her last night. His reassuring words and intimidating tone is enough to make Mr and Mrs. Kim stop from talking and looking at him, studying his expression slowly.

 

“You know what I did to you when I was 15.”

 

He continues his talks while pat Mr. Kim’s hands lightly. She can only watch and feels amazed once again that Jungkook said what he said and did what he did. He is really the strongest person she has ever known.

 

“I worked hard my whole life, and that life was even worse than what I have right now. I’m not going to lose if I need to fight.”

 

He said it while laughing, because it does sound childish. When both of her parents were still not reacting to him, he gave them a hug. Not an intimate one but a reassuring hug that seems to work because she can see relief in their eyes.

 

The hug doesn’t last long, but Jungkook is still holding their hands even after he lets them go. 

 

“I don’t want to lose another son.”

 

That one sentence is surprising coming from her dad that everyone is looking at him. She doesn’t know what’s going on between them when they were working together, what they talked about and how far they fixed their relationship but seeing him treat Jungkook genuinely like this is making her so happy since she’s aware how messed up his perception of him has been for years.

 

“You won’t.”

 

And the response Jungkook gives is making her feel so thankful for his existence. He looked so sweet and beautiful when he gave her dad another squeeze on his hands. 

 

***

 

It’s quite hard to comfort Mr and Mrs. Kim. Jungkook gave them a dozen reasons why they don’t need to worry about his future. Yeri is really helping with how she convinced them that she will help him and not to be a burden for him even though she will get angry or hurt sometimes.

 

They finally feel at ease and leave to check the preparation of the wedding hall. Yeri was supposed to go with her but she declined, telling them that she is tired. So here she is now, watching him having lunch, still with the dark eyes and bloated face she gained from last night.

 

“Thank you.”

 

He stopped what he’s doing when she suddenly said thank you out of nowhere.

 

“For what you did to my parents. I thought you and I are the only ones who’s going to have a hard time, I am too selfish to notice my parents are going to have it harder.”

 

Yeri gets up and serves him a glass of water and Jungkook does nothing but watch her every move. She asked him for another bowl of soup but he shook his head and told her to sit in front of him again.

 

“Do you think what I did was good?”

 

That question is unexpected, from the way he’s behaving earlier, it feels like he is sure with what he did. The way he talked and comforted Mr and Mrs. Kim is so natural, like he decided to do that because he thought it was the best way to deal with this problem.

 

Yeri is not responding to his question, so he stops looking at her and laughs.

 

“I never have people who’s worried about me as much as your parents so..i don’t know how to accept or refuse that kind of attention.”

 

She became speechless when she’s back to realize that one night when Jungkook told her that he was actually enjoying what her parents did for him, regardless how evil they were to him in the past. 

 

“You just need to accept it from now on.”

 

She talks while holding his hands and it is enough to make him look at her again. She feels proud and happy for him, honestly. To be able to experience this when god knows how hard it was for him before.

 

She gets up and gives him a back hug, linking her arms on his shoulder and pats his chest a few times. He was confused at first but caressed her arms a few seconds later.


 



 

****

 

You looked gorgeous.”

 

Yeri doesn’t remember what was going on this morning, she was basically dragged in the early morning half-asleep and few hours of chaos later, she already standing in front of a huge mirror wearing a light pink wedding dress, her mom picked for her, with a very pretty hairstyles and a heavy make up. Even heavier than what she usually wore.

 

“That’s because of your dark circles, I need to make it work somehow.”

 

She used all her team to do her makeup and hairstyles, because they already know what she hates and likes.

 

“Congratulations unnie.”
 

Bona seems pretty much shaken, her eyes are teary when they meet after she finished her preparation. 

 

“I don’t know if you’re crying because you’re happy for me or just happy for yourself.”

 

Bona knows why Yeri talked like that, for a few years working with her, she already went through so many things including her temper. She never thought Yeri would be able to change this much as a person and thinks that she is evil to the bone. 

 

But after learning about her family, her situation, and her story for the past two years, she is actually happy for her, sincerely. She deserved it so much. And these days she always thinking about what kind of good deeds Yeri done to her for the period she worked and it is surprisingly a lot, from helping her paid for her sister hospital bill when she got into an accident, for stood up in front of other celebs who looked down at her and Jay, and for so many things she never noticed since Yeri’s ill behaviour used to made her despised her so much.

 

“I’m happy for you.”

 

She wiped her tears while fixing her gown and Yeri is patting her head while smiling after she heard it. And now that she looks at her, Bona can't really explain how beautiful Yeri is. 

 

“I didn’t buy you any gift, I’m sorry.”

 

“It’s ok.”

 

Jay is coming in when they are still talking about gifts. 

 

“Where were you?”

 

Jay and Bona were supposed to be here with her as part of their job, but Jay has been missing since this morning and Yeri is a little bit annoyed by that. 

 

“Nowhere.”

 

It’s a terrible lie and Jay is aware Yeri noticed that she is just laughing at him without any further nag and it does make her even more beautiful than usual.

 

“I still have an hour. Instead of talking with people I'm not familiar with, I'll just take a nap.”

 

She’s not waiting for anyone's response and goes into behind the curtain, a small corner where she was getting her makeup done before. If there is someone who decides to get some sleep before her wedding. Yeri is definitely the one. Jay is not surprised at all.

 

“Where were you?”

 

Bona is telling him to sit on a couch, a little bit farther from where Yeri is, asking about what he was doing before.

“I saw you.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“You went to see Jeon Jungkook, right?”

 

Bona is looking around and telling him to talk quietly. She doesn’t seem to expect that he does the same thing with her.

 

“I went to give him something.”

 

“I know.”

 

Jungkook told him earlier that Bona came to him and gave him a long list about what Yeri likes and dislikes so he can learn about her better. Ironically, he was going to do the same.

 

“I made one too. I was going to give it to him, but hearing you already did made me change my mind.”

 

“We’re really bad, right?”

 

Bona is aware why Jay and herself did that. They get worried. And for that question she received, she really is not sure.

 

For them, it is obvious that Yeri is in love with Jungkook , totally. He changed her so much, but they still have concerns if he doesn’t love her enough or if two years of their up and down relationship is still not enough for him to learn about Yeri and all her traits.

 

They get worried if Yeri will get hurt again and every progress she makes to her mental health is destroyed without a trace.

 

“But he is not.”

 

She gave Jay a squeeze on his hands.

 

“He told me something when I gave that list to him.”

 

“What was it?”

 

Yeri starts to think that Jay and Bona are talking about this on purpose to let her hear it, because this room is small and she can clearly hear everything. She was going to catch them and complain about what they did, but she missed the timing and now immersed into listening to their conversation.

 

“He told me that he can not avoid everything she hates on the list I made. He told me that he is a husband and not a manager.”

 

“Well, he is right, but we’re not asking him to avoid it, we just want to make sure that he knows Kim Yeri properly.”

 

“I think he knows her better than we ever did, Jay.”

 

“I don’t know about that, they barely passed two years of a wrecked relationship before they decided to get married.”

 

Well yeah, that’s what people see from her relationship with Jungkook. Not a surprise.

 

“If you think Yeri will do anything to make me leave just because I did everything you wrote in this list. That means you don’t know her well enough.”

 

Bona talked while laughing and it is obvious from the tone of her laugh that she found what Jungkook told to her before bothered her.

 

“We knew he’s always confident.”

 

“It wasn’t that. He wasn’t showing off or anything. The way he said it, it’s just so full of certainty, full of trust, like he’s really sure the old Kim Yeri is no longer here, the Kim Yeri we were worried about did not exist anymore.”

 

“And you believed him?”

 

“I do. I really do, I'm just worried that she doesn’t.”

 

The conversation ended abruptly when a group of people from the hotel knocked on the door. Jay opened it and they asked for her. Yeri closed her eyes immediately and a touch on her shoulder is making her get up.

 

“Everything is ready.”

 

She is dragged outside and waves her hands to Jay and Bona, they nod their head before following her walk from behind. Her mind and her heart is a little bit in a complicated situation after hearing what Jungkook said about her.