TEN

Heimwee - Epilogue

Yeri wakes up with tears in her eyes, she still remembers everything just like how she remembers every nightmare she had with Jungkook. 

 

She stares at her hands and the touch she felt on that dream feels so real. She looked around to make sure that she was dreaming and she really was. She fell asleep on this couch a few hours ago, it's Jungkook's apartment. She didn't go anywhere.

 

"He.."

 

She ran to the second floor and found Jungkook sitting on his bed, covering his face while sighing. She doesn't have courage to enter that room because she's not sure what was going on in his dreams.

 

She's still watching him closely when he turns his face to the door and he notices her.

 

"I didn't chase you."

 

That's what he said and she finally knows that he had the same dream as her. She doesn't know how but she feels really relieved, like someone finally lifted up a heavy weight on her shoulder. She nods her head to him with a smile and he gets down from his bed, walking fast to her and squeezing her in a hug.

 

"Aren't you scared of me in that dream?"

 

"No. I was happy seeing you.. Just like when you showed up as a teenager buying me ice cream."

 

She puts her hands on his back and caresses it because he seems too overwhelmed by what has happened. He's not letting her go for so long.

 

"What was it? Why were you happy when you saw me in your dreams? Don't you remember that I was the one who chased you?"

 

"I remember everything. But I made a choice to not run away from you. And it was an easy one, I really wanted to be with you in that dream.”

 

He finally lets her go and stares at her eyes, probably looking for her true feelings. He must be doubting it since she always gets scared every time he shows up in her dreams.

 

"I want to be with you in my reality too, but you already knew that."

 

She said those words clearly, without any uncertainty and hesitation. Probably for the first time ever that she said it without any burden. 

 

Jungkook is doing nothing but stares at the floor and no longer has his arms on her waist. He seems to be pretty surprised with what was going on. She reaches for his hands slowly and he stares at her again because of it.

 

“Why?”

 

He seems hesitant to talk so she hugs him again telling him that he should tell her about what he felt so she could learn about what to do with it. They will find a way out together.

 

“It wasn’t a good dream at the beginning.. I was so thankful that I saw you, I didn't have any will to chase you or hurt you. What I felt in that dream is the exact same feelings I have when I see you in front of me like right now.”

 

It was a good thing. A really good thing, she only ever heard about how he was struggling every time she showed up in his dreams. 

 

"I wish this could happen everyday, I wish the nightmare would stop."

 

He continues talking while letting go of her hands and walking away from her. She was dragged by Jungkook and She followed him slowly until she stopped when he turned his face to her suddenly.

 

"You were right."

 

"About what?"

 

He's not answering her right away but continues to walk through the stairs, still holding her hands and stopping when he enters his office, taking out something from his drawer and giving it to her.

 

"I could've stopped this sooner, but I didn't."

 

She doesn't understand what he means but when she stares at a paper he gave her, she actually can now. 

 

It was a picture of Jungkook and his sister, also Seokjin. The three of them looked so bright and happy with the way they smiled to the camera.

 

"I should've shown you this when you told me that your brother never found happiness in his life. The box you found before, it was so full of pictures of him and my sister, I got rid most of it, I missed one, and that's what you found."

 

 

"Why did you do that?" She lifts her face to him and his expression is getting darker.

 

 

"I'm sorry, i lied to you."

 

That's what he said and Yeri is actually a little bit angry hearing this, he actually hide a lot of things from her when she basically tell him everything regarding their past and their nightmare. It wasn't hard to actually learn that everything that happened to them was the result of Jungkook‘s hatred and his choice to lie.

 

 

"Why would you lie about it? I..personally thinking it would be easier for me if you told me that you knew him and his life, that you actually still hate him that.."

 

"I didn't want you to think that your brother did something good to me, because I was afraid you will see me as a monster again for hating him after he helps me so much.”

 

“I never see you as a monster..”

 

Yeri's voice is very thin, she's crying and he feels like he destroyed her heart very badly this time.

 

“Just like how you were doubting me because I lied, I also have my doubts for you. I wasn’t sure about how much you cared for me if I wasn't Sooyoung’s brother. Did you really love me or just feel bad for me..”

 

"I love you."

 

She talks and whines, she sounds so frustrated at him and he understands why she's behaving like that.

 

"I know. That's why I made peace with your brother completely. I'll remember how hard he worked for my life as I'm doing the same thing for you."

 

Yeri says nothing to him now, she looks confused, annoyed, sad, frustrated and he is aware she has so many things to get angry about. 

 

“I’m really sorry.”

 

“It’s not your fault.”

 

She shakes her head lightly and tries to walk away from him but he blocks her way.

 

“It is.”

 

"We're not even sure if the nightmare will stop since you finally let my brother go."

 

"We need to make sure then."

 

Yeri is a little bit bummed with the possibility that this different dream happened one time only, that it was just a coincidence. She lifts her face to Jungkook and he seems to have an idea to fix her anxiety.

 

"We should meet often, you owe me two weeks to stay here anyway."

 

"My apartment is fixed now."

 

"You said you'll take care of me, how is it possible if you don't even see me?"

 

Well, he is kinda right. Besides, he is no longer working for her dad, which means it will definitely be hard for them to see each other. She looked around the place because so many things happened here, she doesn't know if she is actually comfortable staying here.

 

"You know, I had a great time spending time here staying with you, back then when I didn't know who you are and you didn't know about me either. When we were first dating, I really liked staying here."

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"Staying here is getting harder after I learned about our past. I get scared sometimes."

 

"Scared of what?"

 

Yeri is smiling at him when he looks so worried and guilty.

 

"I don't know, I'm not really sure, it could be the nightmare, the thoughts of our siblings, or just you."

 

She is no better than him because she kept saying that she's fine when in fact she also has it worse than what she admits about Jungkook and his past. What she said seems to be affecting him, but he doesn't look too surprised.

 

"Then you should deal with that, I have no reason to let you do whatever you want if it's about leaving me. I suffered enough.”

 

Yeri finds what he said is true, really true. She shouldn't have tortured him with all those running away saga anymore. She looked at him while laughing and taking a deep breath before nodding her head.

 

"I'll stay here then."

 

"Good."

 

His response is short but his eyes are smiling, she knows it means so much for him after what she did for the past few months.

 

 

 



 

I'll be home really late at night, since I need to catch up with lots of things.”

 

Jungkook is ready to work while she prepares breakfast for him, not her first time but she works harder than she ever did. The results didn’t show much difference though, that’s why he didn't notice.

 

“I’ll eat my dinner here no matter what though.”

 

She stopped herself from eating her toast and stared at him with a smile. He looked so excited that it made her feel bad for not doing a good job after she promised him to take care of him better.

 

"Why? My fridge is almost empty, I can not keep eating your mom's food."

 

"What do you want for dinner? you know my skills are limited so.."

 

"I am fine with anything. Just let me see you when I come home."

 

He cuts her words while getting up after finishing his breakfast. She watches him wearing his coat and cleaning up his own plates before he walks to her and kisses her lips.

 

This isn't their first breakfast together, not even her first kiss with him. She'd done this multiple times but why does everything feel new today, why her heart is fluttering like it was her first time, why she feels more scared of losing him than before? Why does she feel loved so much? Why does she think she's in love with him like the first time she dated him?

 

 She even followed him until the front door, which made him question why she did that.

 

"Why? Do you need anything?"

 

She shakes her head when she gets asked and Jungkook seems to be aware that she felt a little bit down for being left alone. So he gives her a hug again, while caressing her hair.

 

"Do well at work. I'll definitely be here when you come home."

 

She ended up saying that . What's happening to her exactly?

 

***


 

"I didn't know the traffic was so bad here?"

 

Yeri is completely anxious, Bona can tell from the way she whines on every intersection where their car is trapped in a traffic jam. She is already annoyed with the fact that her schedules end later than how it's supposed to be.

 

"Are you having a party?"

 

She told Jay to buy all kinds of groceries earlier and it seems like she prepared for something.

 

"No."

 

Her answer is short, but they're heading to Jungkook's place now. Yeri probably has a plan for him or something.

 

"I don't think this car will move."

 

Yeri is looking out the window, and Jungkook's apartment is a few blocks away. 

 

"I'm going to walk."

 

"What? Are you crazy?"

 

"No."

 

Bona is stopping her hands when she already has her hands on the door.

 

"Jay will walk with you, I'll drive."

 

And that's how things turned out, Jay is walking next to her while helping her with groceries he bought. He's whining of course.

 

"I understand that he saved your life, so you did this..but.."

 

She has no energy to argue with him or refute all his words so she walks faster, making it hard for him to catch up. They walked for 20  minutes or something.

 

"It could be an hour if we stayed."

 

Jay is handling her groceries in front of the door. He was going to say something but seems not sure if it was a good choice or not.

 

"Say it."

 

She ordered him to talk, and he finally looked at her while tilting his head.

 

"Why don't you just get married? I'm not saying this because it would be easier for me to work. But.."

 

"I'm not going to talk about that, not with you."

 

She takes a few steps back while pushing Jay's away.

 

"Anyway, don't use your career as an excuse to not get married to this guy, you have nothing to lose."

 

He talked while screaming as he's leaving. Yeri is smiling hearing those words from Jay, he basically said that her career isn't as important as it was before, getting married won't cost her anything. She knows that it is true.

 

***

 

Yeri stares at her watch when she's already standing in front of Jungkook's door, it's 11 PM. The latest he came home was around 9 or 10 PM if she was here. She actually prayed that he's still really busy and not here right now.

 

She gets in and the light is dark, she's turning on the light and no one seems here. She sighs in relief because the first day she tries to treat Jungkook better is still not a failure, she still has a chance to work hard. She puts all the groceries she brought on the fridge but something unfamiliar is seen on the dining table. She opened the cover and there was food in there. Some of it is her favorite.

 

She takes out her phone and calls Jungkook right away. He didn't pick up the first time and she tried to call him again. He finally picked it up after the third call.

 

"What is it?" His voice sounds very sleepy.

 

"Where are you?"

 

"Home, sleeping. Are you still working? i waited for you but i got so tired"

 

She stares at Jungkook's room door and walks in with a light step. He really is here, laying down while holding his phone in his ear, his eyes are closing. She cuts the phone call without answering him and lay down next to him, stares at his tired face, he seems too exhausted to notice her existence.

 

"I failed completely."