Chapter 10

Dreams Come True (Sometimes)
When the door bell went off Soyeon had expected it to be a delivery guy or one of her father's acquaintances. They always meet up for casual business meetings. It would have been no surprise to see anyone else.

But seeing Yuqi standing in the doorway with one hand on her waist while the other was on the door frame looking proud and tall, just a head taller than her though, was something she would have never expected even in her dreams. For a while Soyeon just gaped at her.

It was not unusual for the girl to act so confident. Infact, she always had that confident personality with a barrage of automatic bluffs at the tip of her tongue. What was rather unusual was her appearance at Soyeon's doorstep. The fact that she was right here knowing perfectly well that the monster in the form of Soyeon's father was, just a few meters away and could walk in on them anytime. The girl must have hit her head somewhere and lost all logical thinking for her to stand in front of Soyeon's house, right in front of the monster's den.

"Yuqi?"

"Hei Girl!" Yuqi said with a nod of her head and a side smirk that had Soyeon gaping at her again. She remembered the time she used the same exact line with Yuqi which had become a little inside joke between them. She shook her head a little to get rid of the thoughts and the shock.

"Yuqi! Are you crazy! My father's home"

"Oh! I know" was the nonchalant reply that came with a wave of a hand. Yuqi's wide eyes were on her face, watching so closely as if she wanted to soak in all the details of Soyeon all at once. Ofcourse Soyeon would like to do the same or even hold her close if she could but now was not the time.

Last time she checked, her girlfriend was the one who turned into a weasel at the mere mention of Soyeon's father. So what had changed? 

"Why are you here?" She decided to ask at last.

"I'm here to take you out on a date" The girl replied as if it was normal. First, it was ing noon, who goes on a date at this time. Second, why was Yuqi acting like she did not know their situation. As if Soyeon was not locked up in her home for an entire month just because her father had thought she was dating someone not worthy of her. The sound of her and Yuqi on a date after so long was tempting and very much needed for sure but, again the cause of all their problems were right there in his room.

Soyeon took a tentative glance back upstairs of her house to check incase her father decided to come downstairs. She could not risk getting Yuqi caught at whatever she had up her sleeves.

"Do you want me to say hello to your father?"

That had Soyeon whipping her head at Yuqi again. She squinted her eyes at the girl as if by that she would get any idea on what was going on the other girl's head. "What's wrong with you?" She decided to ask.

"What? My dress?" This time Yuqi looked offended thinking Soyeon had referred to her outfit, which Soyeon only took notice now as Yuqi grabbed the black jacket she was wearing. The girl seemed to have dressed up pretty nicely in a simple red dress that were upto her knees and a long jacket to protect her from the cold. Soyeon got distracted with the exposed legs of her girlfriend for a few seconds only breaking out of her daze when Yuqi turned her gaze towards the side with a loud voice seeming to point at someone beside her. "You said I looked fine"

Soyeon would have assured her girlfriend but she was far more concerned with the fact that Yuqi might be talking to a ghost.

"Yuqi you look just fine" Only then did she notice Shuhua stepping into view from behind the door frame and reaching her hands out to fix Yuqi's jacket collar. Soyeon was left gaping at them again as their voices diminished into a soft banter. She would have spoken up but there were just too many questions running havoc inside her head. Shuhua did not leave yet? Why was she dressed like a middle aged woman? Did she always have those grey strands of hair? And most importantly why were the siblings there at her doorstep?

Soyeon did not voice out any of them though.

"You look just right for a date" Shuhua ended their debate now looking over at Soyeon with a bright smile. For some weird reason Soyeon imagined Shuhua as an aunt coming off to drop her niece, not to mention the girl actually looked the part with her one arm protectively draped over Yuqi's shoulder and the middle age look she had going on for another weird reason. "Hi Soyeon"

"Hei" Soyeon greeted back still very much clueless her mind trying to make sense of the things that happened after she opened the damn door. "Is that how you usually dress?" Soyeon asked.

"This?" Shuhua gestured towards her long flowy yellow dress, answering after getting a nod from Soyeon "I'm Soojin's aunt"

That does not necessarily answer Soyeon's question and made Soyeon's thought process even more complicated but she opted to go with the bliss that came with ignorance not wanting stress over whatever the younger was up to. If Shuhua had promised Yuqi that date Soyeon trusted the girl to make that happen so she would simply go along with it. Shuhua had all her trust after successfully cancelling her marriage with Jo Hakyeon.

"Yuqi let me handle Soyeon's father dearest while you go wait in the apartment" Shuhua addressed to Yuqi.

"But I wanted to go in too" Soyeon raised an eyebrow at how Yuqi was so unphased with possibly meeting up with Soyeon's father. Does the presence of Shuhua make her that fearless?

"You will get trampled by her father before that date and trust me you don't want that to happen. I'll send Soyeon in a few minutes you just go and wait" Yuqi did not object any further waving at Soyeon before turning around skipping towards the other end of the street. Soyeon's eyes followed the girl only focusing back on Shuhua once Yuqi was out of sight.

The younger girl was not one to wait for invitations it seemed as she was already making way inside the house without being told to do so. Soyeon had forgotten that the girl was already familiar with the house as it was only yesterday the she had stepped into the house dressed up as Jo Hakyeon. Soyeon closed the door behind her while Shuhua called out. "Youngmin!"

"Did you..." Soyeon halted waiting for a response from her father that did not come before continuing staring at the girl with a look of disbelief. "Did you just call my father by his first name?"

"Yes he's my friend" Shuhua said sounding very casual.

"Friend?" Soyeon waited for any change in expression expecting a laugh or anything saying that she was only joking, but it never came. What the hell? Since when had her father ever made a friend? And it just had to be Shuhua?

Something was definitely wrong. Still, Soyeon nodded her head evnthough she did not understand, her brain advising her not to dwell on the matter. She would not want to know.

Shuhua started a repeated chorus of her father's name getting louder eventually leading to her father finally coming down the stairs with a weird smile and a happy skip to his steps inducing the first signs that had warning bells going off in Soyeon's head. And it rang louder when Shuhua nudged her softly and whispered. "Whatever you see just play along"

And nothing would have prepared her for the time when all the pieces in her brain gathered to show her the bigger picture. Or the picture right here, happening right infront of her. Suddenly, Shuhua's get up made more sense. To think that her father  would have made a friend without having any personal interests in mind. She scoffed at the thought.

Her father was now throwing the most cheesiest lines that sure came out of an Internet page while Shuhua was just going along with it. She held in her thoughts to runaway or just throw up infront of them instead, she tried to block their voices out. The conversation went on for a while before Shuhua finally addressed Soyeon.

"It's wonderful seeing Soyeon again" She said bringing Soyeon's father's attention to her.

"You know her?" It was difficult to exactly know who he was referring to but Shuhua still answered.

"Yeah. I have visited several times over the years. She's a close friend of Soojin" Soyeon wondered how natural it was for Shuhua to play her character and know what was right to be said. Or the enormous endurance the girl must have to survive her father's typical textbook flirt lines. "Soojin mentioned how she barely saw Soyeon these days so I came by to see what was going on"

Her father was quick to answer.

"Ah! That is because my daughter has side tracked with Song Yuqi. That girl thinks she capable enough to date my daughter. Can you believe it? I can't even fathom the thought of that mere street girl holding my gem of a daughter's hand" 

For the first time Soyeon could see cracks in Shuhua's character. The pursed lips, clenched jaw and the frown on her brows were the indications that the girl was infuriated.

"If you look past the differences in status solely based on money you would see that Yuqi is just as worth a gem as your daughter" Soyeon could see how much the girl was trying not to raise her fist or volume even evident from the strain in her voice. Soyeon also must commend the composure the girl had welled up and still managing to deliver a well mannered line that would have been somewhat effective against some thick headed people. But not with Soyeon's father. 

He only scoffed. "People should stay in their own status and should not try to go beyond what they could achieve"

Shuhua must have acknowledged the fact that there was no reasoning with him as she spoke much calmer this time. For some reason the girl was adamant on speaking about Soyeon and Soojin's friendship. "Still I don't see how this concerned her friendship with Soojin"

"My daughter is not allowed interact with anyone nor go anywhere and that must've put some distance between her and Soojin. I did not intend for that to happen but its for the best" Her father answered.

"Well whatever opinion you have, I don't think your daughter should be friendless. How about she go over to Soojin's for a while?" Shuhua said and Soyeon finally understood why Shuhua was insistent on Soyeon and Soojin's friendship. It was just an excuse for Soyeon to get out of the house.

"Absolutely not" Her father's voice raised an octave higher. "That's where Song Yuqi lives"

"Song Yuqi is at work and will only be home in the evening. You don't have to worry about that" Her father this time seemed to be contemplating about it and that was a good sign. Shuhua seemed to catch it too as she pushed on further. "Soyeon has been locked here for so long, she needs the company of a friend Youngmin"

There was still hesitation written on his face and Soyeon was so sure he would decline but Shuhua just knew how to push his buttons. And that too in the worst ways.  "I was also thinking that we could spend some time together you know" with that said Soyeon's father was pushed over the edge completely.

"Very well" He gave his permission quickly and Soyeon could see his eagerness at the idea Shuhua had given him. That is why she stood rooted hesitant about leaving her father alone with Shuhua. There was a nudge to her side and a harsh whisper.

"What are you waiting for? Get out of here" Shuhua said, Soyeon detected a hint of annoyance in the girl's voice.

"I don't want to leave you here" She replied.

Shuhua's features softened and her whisper was even softer this time. "Don't worry about me. I can handle this"

That was the same assurance Shuhua had given Soyeon when she said she would get rid of Jo Hakyeon. And it worked. Soyeon nodded finally turning around to leave the house on her own for the first time in a month.

Yuqi was waiting for Soyeon at the front of her house, lips stretching to a wide grin after noticing her. Soyeon practically launched herself into the other's arms not bothered to see if anyone was there to witness it or not. Not when Yuqi embraced her just as tightly with that deep laugh filling up her ears like a melody. Soyeon would have been just happy and contended with them staying there like that. It had been far too long, she had missed this. But Yuqi had other plans as she let go of Soyeon and placed a soft kiss on her forehead before taking her hand. "Let's go"

They went to the beach of all places. Soyeon had also forgotten that Yuqi had this weird taste for choosing to go on dates where no-one else would have went. The beach was empty as expected, it was the middle of winter after all. Soyeon wondered who was crazier, Yuqi for choosing that place or she herself for actually going. Yuqi could have taken her to a graveyard and Soyeon would still follow her.

Nevertheless, they had fun walking barefoot on the sand with the cold harsh wind almost blowing them away. Soyeon did not get to dress up for the date and still had her comfortable sweater and pants with a warm jacket that she had grabbed when she was on her way out, while Yuqi who was wearing a short dress had to tie her jacket around her waist to keep the dress from riding up every time the wind picked up. Soyeon could not help but tease the girl for choosing that outfit when she was the one who had planned to go to the beach. Ofcourse Yuqi retaliated everytime with her deep and loud voice "You weren't complaining before" That shut Soyeon up because, yes she loved the dress.

A few teases more led to them chasing eachother near the shoreline, splashing the ice cold sea water at one another and a little while later Soyeon was laying down on the sand exhausted. Yuqi still full of energy and the child she denies she is, had declared that she would make a sandcastle as Soyeon rested. Though, as time went by the sand pile looked more like a distorted mountain rather than a sandcastle. It was late afternoon already and as much as Soyeon would like to stay, they had to head back home soon atleast for Shuhua's sake.

"I still can't believe you left your sister with my father for one date" Soyeon said sitting up to see that Yuqi was patting the sandcastle slash mountain trying to mold it to a better shape. It did not.

"Shuhua's a brave war soldier" Yuqi looked up at her with a proud smile. "She's sacrificing herself for us"

"We should head back now. She must've suffered enough for now" Soyeon said standing up and dusting herself to get rid of the sand sticking to her clothes

"I'm sure she's fine" Yuqi still was far more concentrated on her sandcastle. Soyeon scoffed in disbelief a bit annoyed at how easy it was for Yuqi to leave her sister with her worst nightmare.

"You're not worried about her?" Soyeon asked.

This time Yuqi looked up fully halting her movements upon noticing Soyeon's serious tone. "She can handle it Soyeon. And I'm pretty sure Soojin would keep a close eye on them. She wouldn't let Shuhua out of her sight"

Soyeon was confused now. As far as she knows Soojin cannot be bothered with things that did not involve her or Yuqi. That is how closed off the girl was. "Soojin? Why?"

"Oh my gosh! I did not tell you about them?" Soyeon nodded as an answer and Yuqi abandoned her sandcastle slash mountain excitedly standing up to explain her the story of Shuhua and Soojin, Soyeon does not know if their story was actually that dramatic or if it was just the way how Yuqi told it.

Turns out that Soojin had to let Shuhua out of her sight. Soyeon and Yuqi had just parked Soojin's car that she had borrowed for the date to see Soojin with a forlorn expression etched on her face stepping out of a taxi that stopped infront of their house.

"Soojin" Yuqi called out softly. "What happened?"

It took her a moment to answer Yuqi. "Yerin had another attack. She's admitted at the hospital for now"

Soyeon felt her heart sink at the mention of Soojin's sister. She wished she could help but knew her selfish father would never spend a dine for the greater good. It was frustrating to know that her father had more than enough to help yet would not even bat an eye at people in need.

Yuqi had her hand on Soojin's shoulder for support while Soojin briefed her about what happened. Sensing that it was a matter to be discussed between the two, Soyeon whispered a soft goodbye getting a nod from the both of them.

Still a little shaken up, she had taken a deep breath to focus and brace herself for whatever she would see inside her house instead. Mostly her father's toe curling cringy lines. Was Shuhua even alive in there?

She halted upon seeing her house door halfway open which rarely happened. She could see some broken glassware and things strewn around. Aware that something was wrong, she carefully peeked inside with a tilt of her head, eyes widening when she saw two women standing in her living room, a brunette and a blonde who had a gun pointed at her father while Shuhua was nowhere in sight.

With fear gripping her heart and the sound of her heart thumping loudly in her ears, all Soyeon could do was shout Yuqi's name at the top of her lungs which caught the attention of the women inside the house. The gun in the blonde's hand was now pointed at her.

With the fear etched on to her chest she barely registered Yuqi and Soojin stopping at her side. If something goes wrong she would surely regret bringing Yuqi and Soojin into this.

"!"

"Who are you?" The blonde asked.

She should be the one asking that. They were the ones in her house. But she held her tongue, it would not be wise to annoy someone who had a gun pointed at them.

"T-That's my daughter" Seeing her father frightened instilled more fear in her yet her father still had the galls to throw an apprehensive glance at Yuqi while continuing "and her friends"

The brunette behind the blonde seemed to be looking around for something or someone. The blonde took out a badge from her jacket pocket showing it to them.

"I'm Kim Minnie from Seoul Police, why don't you come stand beside your father and we can discuss this matter without gathering a crowd" She stated calmly putting the badge back in her pocket.

Soyeon hesitated while Soojin and Yuqi went on inside which forced her to follow them as well. Soojin seemed to be frantic and panicked for a whole other reason as she almost pranced on her father asking questions. "Where's my aunt Miyeon? What did you do to her?"

Yuqi was just as much panicked but stayed behind Soojin with their backs to the people who were literally holding them at gunpoint. Soyeon noticed the change in her father's expression and the scoff he let out. Before she can question him on it the brunette behind them spoke for the first time causing them to face her instead.

"Miyeon? I'm Miyeon" She let out a laugh. "Last time I checked, I wasn't anyone's aunt"

There was a certain high and mighty kind of aura around her. It was obvious in the way she spoke so confidently and how she blew air to her perfectly manicured nails as if she did not have a care in the world. Soyeon's instincts told her that this Miyeon was trouble.

And it was proven to be right as the next words she spoke made her heart drop.

"Song Shuhua dug her own grave by dressing up as me"

 

 

 

Author's Note:

A quicker update this time. And the longest chapter thus far.

Things are about to go down. I have a lot of things planned, but writing them down is a difficult process. Hopefully I can finish this the way I planned it to.

Anyways hope you all enjoy reading this.