Bora - from the start

alongside of the emptiness, wandering, hoping there is still a place for visit
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yubin watches from behind them, who also watch the same thing on the television. She listened to that last question, same with them, Bora and Siyeon. She should have expected but she didn’t expect Minji would answer like that or generally answer it.

 

She can’t see Siyeon and Bora's reaction from behind them. It is something new for them that Minji always hide it enough, keep it secret from anyone. Only some that knows the truth, Jinsol who is always with her since Minji left and Yubin who kept asking her until she answered it truthfully. 

 

“Yubin,” called Bora from her seat, still watched the TV. 

 

Yubin just hummed to respond to her. 

 

“Is what she said true there?” 

 

Bora turns her head to look at Yubin, demanding the answer from the younger.  Bora knows that Yubin knew all this time about the reason for Minji leaving. She tried to get that information from Yubin before. Yubin just answered that she didn’t know, a lie. 

 

“I….” 

 

“Don’t even try to lie, Yubin. I know you knew it for a long time.” 

 

The silence after that is so frustrating for all of them. Yubin looked at Siyeon who looked at her the same as Bora. Pleading to get an answer for this, but Yubin can’t say it, it’s not her place. So instead of answering it, she just kept closed and looked at them both. 

 

Bora looked away after getting what Yubin tried to message them about her being so quiet. Her eyes already say it anyway. 

 

“It’s true then, I don’t know it’s deeper than what I thought.” Bora let her frustrating sighs and drop her head down. 

 

Thinking where it went wrong… 

 

It should be because of her, no, She knew it’s because of her all this time. But…. Bora never thought it went that deeper, she felt bad about it. 

 

.

.

.

 

Bora knew Minji before everything about Florals, in fact they were schoolmates. They were transferred to the school to make their dream happen. Bora is aware of Minji, both of them work hard to get their dream, but she’s not close to Minji. She is also sure that Minji is aware of her existence too, since many of their friends compare the two of them in a way. 

 

When it came to the school festival, they both gained attention from the students. Minji with her voice and Bora with her dance. It is always like that at every festival. At some point it became such a competition between them in a way, no matter what students also hype about both of them. 

 

“Do you go up after this?” Bora looked up from her phone to the person who asked. 

 

It’s Minji. 

 

“Yeah. I don’t know why they put me before you. I was expecting to perform at the last one, being a closing to all performances.” 

 

“Haha, Sorry, I don’t want to perform at the last stage though. It makes me more nervous.” 

 

Bora looked at Minji, looking at how her face, quite nervous, seemed genuine. 

 

“It’s our last school festival, don’t need to be nervous, people already like you anyway.” 

 

Minji smiled at it, it really helped her to calm her nerves. For the first time Bora really looks at Minji from this close and talks to her. Almost three years and it’s around their last months at the school, never thought Bora will have this kind of moment with her. 

 

Because deep down in her heart, noticed or not, she was jealous of Minji. Bora always looked at Minji from far, observed how people liked her, not only for the talent that she has with her voice but also her personality. It’s quite different if you compare with Bora, that people like her because of her talent. Besides that, no one really really wants to be close to her like people did to Minji. 

 

It’s not that she’s not kind to people around her, no. It’s because people find Bora looks so cold toward them. 

 

It’s not entirely true, it's just how it looks from the outside. She has a lot of friends, mostly that have the same interest as her, which is dance. A lot of them look up to Bora. Admiring how Bora is good at dancing, the dance school team began when Bora transferred there in the first year. The legacy she had to the school at the moment she graduated. 

 

“Are you free after the festival?” 

 

Bora looked at Minji who suddenly asked her. 

 

“Most likely yes, I restrict the dance team to go anywhere to celebrate anything. Why?”

 

“I was thinking that I wanted to ask you to hang out somewhere. I felt like we need to break something people make us to compete with each other that I don’t even know what it is. Since it is the last school festival, you know, I kinda want to get to know about you despite what I was hearing from people.” 

 

Bora laughed at how Minji explained it. Indeed she didn’t understand too why people hype them to a certain degree that makes them compete with each other. It’s not that they do it to take down each other, instead they do their best for their own satisfaction. At the end people love it, and the barely invincible competition is such nonsense at all but still there. The sparks of it, they can feel it. 

 

“Why do you laugh?” 

 

“Well, Are you asking to have a date with me? Rambling things to hide your nervousness, sounds fit the case, mostly.” 

 

“Shut up, it’s hard for me to ask, you know? It’s not like I'm shy or anything, it's just how people make us like rivals, it infuses me in a way that I take it carefully to ask, though I don’t mind if you want to call it a date.” Minji explained, somehow Bora found her cute and how Minji’s face reddened because of it. 

 

“ them, It’s a date then.” Bora stands up, her stage gonna soon enough. Bora looked at Minji, somehow surprised by what she said. “What?” 

 

“I was just rambling about the date there, I don’t….” 

 

“Don’t worry, I know exactly what you think right now. Trying to have a date or dating someone while trying to become an idol is quite tricky especially when you are different from most people. I among those people in front of the stage know the best of this thing with you.” Bora winks at her while starting to walk to the stage. 

 

The date was nice, they had a lot of fun with the time they spent. Though it is never beyond that. They just spent the time together in their last months at school. Trying to work hard together to achieve their dream. For the first time Bora had someone that can relate to her, among her friends Minji is the one that can relate to her.

 

In such a short time, people are already talking about them suddenly being friends and such. Though the rumors make them have a distance from each other without them knowing it. Sometimes they meet outside the school because of auditions or some gigs. So it’s not that they are completely ignoring each other. 

 

“You don’t take the CSAT?” asked Minji before the CSAT happened. 

 

“No, I don’t think I have money to go to college after I leave my parents for good.”

 

Bora decided to leave her parents after graduation. She can’t expect them to support her dream, she’s tired of following what her parents want for her. Minji knew this, Bora already told them before. 

 

“I will just take part time while I keep trying to audition. How about you? Why do you still take the CSAT, you pass the audition right?” Bora asked curiously. 

 

“At this point I don’t know why, perhaps it is because I seek the guarantee that if I can't debut, I can go to college.”

 

“I doubt it. I know you will debut, your voice is already an idol standard. People will like to listen to your voice, your singing.” 

 

It’s always like that, how Bora hype about Minji’s singing skill. For some reasons she didn’t know, Minji wasn't quite confident with her talents. Every time Minji talks like she wants to give up, there is Bora who keeps adding fire on her. 

 

After that they just talked about each other's audition, and kept getting more information from each other. Until Minji got a call that she needed to go and meet her friend. 

 

It was the last conversation they had. Minji took the CSAT exam while Bora had to leave her home, her parents for good sooner than she thought. Anyone at school knew it, Bora at the moment had to sleep on her friends’ from the dance team. 

 

Bora didn’t notice what happened at the school, her days filled with taking part time jobs. School is already done, they just need to wait for the graduation ceremony. 

 

During the graduation ceremony, many of her friends celebrate with their family. Bora felt jealous of them, though she was glad to see them. It's been a while since Bora met her friends beside the dance team. Especially Minji who made eye contact with Bora while talking to her friends and parents. After that she walked towards Bora, waving her hand from far. 

 

Literally like sunshine. 

 

How much positive in her looks despite deep inside her Bora knew that is not really her nature. Minji, filled with many worries and such, always puts others instead of herself. 

 

“I’m glad to meet you since I can’t contact you. I got news for you.” 

 

See! 

 

“You should take an audition at my place.” She referred to ‘my place’ as the company where Minji passed the audition. “I heard they need an exceptional dancer, when I heard this I knew that I should let you know.” 

 

It was nice that Minji told her about that, but deep down Bora didn’t want it. For some reasons Bora thought that she lost, the competition that people around them hype still there. If she followed what Minji said or where Minji was, she lost to her. 

 

Quite a pathetic mind, but regardless of that, Bora really thinks hard about it. 

 

She took the audition there and she passed. 

 

Bora can’t believe it, after years from rejection, she finally got in. One step closer to her dream. Her confidence is rising, it’s like she can do anything for her dream now. She will work harder than anyone. 

 

Her first day as trainee, she already got to see Minji there with another trainee. Minji was happy to see her, she let her know anything about the company. Like places, people, other trainees, everything. Especially she introduced Siyeon to her, another trainee that passed the audition with Minji. Bora knew it already, Minji told her. 

 

That is how the beginning of the three of them spent together in their trainee days. 

 

People in the company noticed how close they are, like it’s a perfect group of people in it. Siyeon with her exceptional voice and singing, Bora with her exceptional dance, and Minji….. 

 

“You know that Siyeon’s voice is really something, her singing skill is out of this world. I amazed and You with your dance, your body moves so well, it’s nice to watch. I feel like you both gonna debut before me, they kinda already decided the slots for both of you,” said Minji while walking to the station with Bora. 

 

Bora always walks to the station with Minji after practice at the company. It’s too late if you walk alone when Siyeon is with another trainee to the opposite way. They always talk about how hard the practice is and such but they are good with all of them. It’s for their dream after all. 

 

But this time Minji didn’t get that good, her thoughts somehow wanting to give up. 

 

“What do you mean? You are doing good, Minji. If anything you are the one who is good at everything. Your voice, your dance.” 

 

“No no, I'm not talking about me lacking those aspects… it's just both of you are really doing better. If I decide who is going to debut, I will pick you and Siyeon immediately,” explained Minji.

 

“But you are not who decides it.” 

 

“Wanna bet that next week's evaluation, they will pick you and Siyeon?” 

 

Bora looked at Minji to see if she was serious or not. She clearly saw how confident with her words but…

 

“No way… there are many possibilities, it can be three of us, you know?” 

 

“Let’s see then,” said Minji lightly, like she knew it was really happening. 

 

The time flew fast, the evaluation week was already done, they were standing to get the result of it. One by one their name is called with their evaluation. The three of them doing good or even better from the other trainee. 

 

Especially Minji who did better than the entire months they were there. It was her best thought Bora. 

 

“By that all, we gladly decide to pick some of you. Bora and Siyeon, you both will now stay at the dorm that we prepared.” 

 

Bora couldn't believe what she just heard, Siyeon who was beside her was already in tears and said how thankful she was. Minji from behind Siyeon said something to Siyeon that she’s glad for Siyeon and took care of Siyeon’s tears. Then she looked at Bora, smiled like she really knew it happened, like what she said several days ago. 

 

“See! I told you already.”

 

She saw Minji’s smile there, but behind that smile…. Bora knew she really hid it well. Bora could see through that smile. It’s a disappointment mixed with her exhaustion, a little bit of sadness and jealousy. Though her smile is quite genuine at both of them, she’s glad for both of them. 

 

The other trainees left one by one, followed by Minji. Bora and Siyeon remained in the room. Bora looked at Minji once again, she even tried to console one of the trainees. Tried to be okay when it’s not from her inside. 

 

After that Bora’s days filled with more proper scheduled training from the company. The different one from the regular trainees, by that, she is always with Siyeon together with practice. Rarely for them to meet Minji by any chance since the practice time is really different with other trainees. 

 

Bora also didn’t walk with Minji to the station again since the staff will drive her and Siyeon directly to the dorm they stayed in. Just both of them in the unit, waiting for any other trainees who will join them in that dorm. They don’t know what group the company wants to do, how many members there will be. 

 

For weeks Bora just met Minji several times just to pass by each other's schedule. Never have time to talk or such, but Bora was glad that Minji didn’t look like she gave up already from the last evaluation. Though it could be wrong, Bora knew there was still a fire in it. 

 

For weeks Bora also got closer to Siyeon, knews her better. She’s really fun to play with. Besides from her singing, she really liked how Siyeon would come to her and just told her about her day. She’s really funny sometimes and will look so cool when doing something serious like singing, dancing, or something small like help her to cut some ingredients to cook. 

 

Siyeon suddenly entered her cubicle when Bora tried to search for something in her backpack. 

 

“What?” Bora was confused how Siyeon seemed to run to get here. 

 

“They called us,” said Siyeon while still in heavy panting. “Minji Unnie…..” Bora is suddenly intrigued by the name, but Siyeon is still catching her breath. “Seems like she got picked.” 

 

With no time they went to the practice room where they held the evaluation. When they entered the room it’s only Minji beside the staff and such important people in the company who Bora didn’t remember all except the sajangnim and producer-nim. She saw Minji smile at them, but Bora caught something off behind that smile. 

 

“So we decided just to have three of you to debut.” 

 

Just three of us? Thought Bora. It’s rare to have a group only with three members. Usually they go to number four for the minimum number. But it’s not that she complained, she finally will debut with the two that are incredibly nice, kind, and good. Feels like they can go beyond just performing at the stages, she feels like can do anything. 

 

They were being told to prepare for next weeks because it seems like they made the debut sooner than what they expected. They expected them to do better to debut preparation. Sounds rushed, but again she didn’t complain at all. It felt like the dream already in front of them. 

 

When they got out of the room, Bora glanced at Minji who listened to Siyeon talking about how she can’t wait to debut with her and Minji. Minji showed a little enthusiasm at Siyeon and played along, but Bora again caught something off. Minji was having a lot of thoughts in her mind now. 

 

So when it’s only two of them when the younger takes her things, Bora asked. 

 

“What’s on your mind?”

 

Minji looked back at her, “why suddenly?” She felt surprised at the question. 

 

“You seem weirdly off or not happy.”

 

Bora looked at Minji's expression a little bit, but couldn't really find anything helpful for her curiosity. 

 

“What do you mean? I’m happy, we finally got to debut together. Isn’t that beyond crazy? Who will expect that?”

 

“Me. I expected it.”

 

Minji just slightly smiled at that. 

 

“Yes, you were.” 

 

“So what’s wrong?” 

 

Minji looked away at Bora, she looked at the floor, head down, trying to hide her face. 

 

“It’s nothing, it’s just stupid dumb thoughts.” Bora still looked at Minji, waiting, but she didn’t expect to get the answer. So she is just silent, letting her know that she won’t pry anything. Though she was worried when she looked at how Minji glanced at her, consider to telling her. 

 

“I just felt it’s too rushed and how they just decided it was just the three of us and not pick any other trainee…” Minji told her thoughts at the end.

 

“That means that you’re better than them, Minji. They probably won’t take any longer to see and pick the others so….” 

 

“Then why didn't they just pick me with two of you at the previous one instead?” Minji cut Sua’s sentences and gave her another thought. “If they pick another one today I probably will be okay with it, but it's just me and they decided to just go with three of us.”

 

Now Bora knows what’s on Minji’s mind. So she just reached Minji, gave her a hug instead. 

 

“I won’t invalidate your feelings there, but that doesn't mean that you’re bad, okay? You are talented, your voice, your dance, your personality and heart, everything. Those are better than the other trainees or even me and Siyeon.” 

 

After what Bora said, she pulled away from the hug. That moment was the last time that Bora saw Minji in her weak mind or thoughts. Because after that the company asked Minji to become a leader of the group. Perhaps because of that Minji really tried her best for that role. 

 

In fact she is really doing it well, Bora amazed how she can manage it. If it’s her who became a leader, she would give up already. Bora and Siyeon are always thankful to her for that. When Florals debut Minji who is working really hard between the three of them. Lead them in every single schedule and activities they had. 

 

But Bora always checked in between and helped her sometimes. It’s not really shown like she helped her directly, Bora had her own way. Like the way she always cooking Minji’s favorite foods or make some cookies the sugar take for her. Just to see Minji smiles it’s enough that she already helped a little bit with it. 

 

Until Bora didn’t check on Minji because she was attracted to the other person in the group. 

 

Siyeon.

 

During their time together throughout the journey, becoming idols and performing on the stage, Siyeon always gave her affection to both of them, Bora and Minji. She became like a sun for the sunflowers in the group, both of them always make sure the younger is fine, okay, basically took care of her. 

 

She is indeed the youngest in the group and acts like that with both of them. 

 

Bora likes it. Minji likes it. 

 

Siyeon always becomes their middle, like balancing the group. She always solves anything that Bora and Minji argue about or can’t find anything in decision. She is smart, talented, and pretty. No one don’t like her, including the two of them. 

 

So that’s when Bora gave more affection to Siyeon. Pulled by the magnetism that Siyeon always put there. 

 

Same with Minji, but Minji is always careful. 

 

Bora really can’t read behind that smile anymore, this Minji in such a short time already levels up in such advance. 

 

Or was it because Bora doesn't really want to study behind that smile? Or she didn’t have time  to do that… because her mind was full with Siyeon at the moment. Like the way Siyeon looked at her, the way Siyeon touched her, cuddled her in Sofa while watching the drama series. 

 

Minji just came home from her radio schedule, she looked tired. From her seat, Bora saw how she just smiled at the two of them. Asked if they had dinner already then went to her bedroom after. 

 

And that one night is so different from the other.

 

Like how Siyeon looked so lovely and her touches made her skin warm. Their heartbeats resonated with each other. The eyes speak more than their lips. No one knew who leaned their face first, but it doesn’t matter because the lips are connected. 

 

The heartbeats are in the same pattern.

 

The body warmth in one temperature. 

 

It’s just one kiss and then another, again and again. Smiles in between their kisses. It became more heated, Bora led how it was to the younger who just let receive the attention and affection from her. 

 

Suddenly Siyeon asked if she wanted to continue it on the bed. Bora couldn't say no to her, she looked at Siyeon, her eyes said everything. She just nodded and Siyeon led her to her room. 

 

She continued what she left behind on the sofa. More heated kisses, more heated touches. 

 

Take off each other's clothes. 

 

They were going crazy.

 

The lips let each other’s name. 

 

Then Bora just barely listens to someone calling them, but her head is full of the pleasure at the moment. No one can’t stop her, no one can’t stop them. They are in their world, loving each other. 

 

Until they couldn’t go any further and Bora let Siyeon sleep beside her, covered in a blanket. One of the best nights for her, she looked at how Siyeon slept peacefully, she smiled and gave her a kiss on her forehead before she picked her clothes and left the room. 

 

She went to the kitchen to have water to drink. 

 

She looked around the room in front of her. Walked to the front door. Went back to the living room. Stop in front of Minji’s room. She knocked on the door, called her name. 

 

No response. 

 

She opened the door. 

 

She hasn’t come yet? Bora questioned it. She is almost sure that Minji came and called their name. Then suddenly she heard the front door open, she checked it, “Minji?”

 

Minji looked surprised at her call, but softly smiled at her after. “You surprised me, Bora. You haven’t slept yet?”

 

Her eyes blink at Minji, Bora barely saw her face. She really looked tired tonight, like something drained her energy but still put her slight smile on her. 

 

“You came so late tonight.”

 

Bora just gave unnecessary info that Minji should have known about. 

 

“Ah, yeah. I went out to eat before going back.”

 

“Alone?”

 

“Yeah, I let Yubin and others know too. I got permission, it was just only in the next block there. The one that sells good bibimbap til late at night.”

 

Minji walked past Bora to her room, barely looking at Bora, avoiding eye contact with her. That's what Bora thought, but before Minji entered her room, she turned around to look at her. 

 

“Don’t sleep so late, okay? We will practice a lot tomorrow and they will also let you be involved to make a choreography. So rest well, okay?”

 

Bora nodded at her, Minji smiled. 

 

“Good night, Bora.”

 

It’s hard to believe that every night when Minji had a radio schedule, Bora and Siyeon always spent time together more closely. Though every night Minji also came back so late. She always hears from her room or Siyeon’s room when she’s back. Sometimes when they both awake for tv series, she is really surprised to see both of them not sleeping yet. Kinda hypocrite when she herself came back so late. 

 

It’s not like every day night, her schedule only for mid week, tuesday, wednesday, thursday. But Bora was kinda worried. 

 

Bora at the end asked Yubin. 

 

“Huh? Did you not listen to her radio program, unnie?” 

 

How supposed she answered that, Bora thought. She never listens to one of her radio programs. She always spent her time with Siyeon… 

 

“She always talked about late night hangouts with Byulyi Unnie and Jieun Unnie on the Radio. People were curious when some fans saw her one time with Byulyi Unnie in one car. So it's kinda a little segment they talked the other night just briefly before talking seriously and sticking with the script.” 

 

“So you are not the one who drove her back to the dorm?” 

 

“No, it’s still me. Byulyi Unnie always drives Jieun Unnie back cause it takes the opposite way.” 

 

Bora just nodded and said thanks to her staff manager who surprisingly kinda Minji’s friend. The one who she always texts or calls several times in school before. All those calls were from her when both of them spent time together. 

 

Though she worried for nothing then. 

 

Minji was just making friends, though it hurt her because she never told her. Well, it’s because she never asked her too. Though She’s glad it’s not going somewhere ridiculous like a club or something that is full of dangerous people. 

 

But still something really off deep inside Minji, thought Bora. She didn’t know what or didn’t want to know either. 

 

The way Minji and Siyeon are both on the sofa, when Siyeon always likes to put affection towards the leader. She always glanced at her at first contact. Then she just let her be, then it went Bora joined with them. 

 

Like it is the best place in the world there together with Siyeon and Minji. Being around these two people somehow felt lik

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter