four

High School Sweethearts

Iseul looks at the open field and sees that a lot of food stalls are getting ready for the bazaar, they will have four periods before the Open Week officially starts with the opening ceremony in the auditorium. According to what her father said, it’s an Open Week for elementary, junior high, and high school students. It will be held for three days until Wednesday with the club’s registration ended on Thursday and the trials are on Friday. She keeps on walking and greets some students that she knows before reaching her locker to put her bag and get what she needs for the classes later.

“Morning!”

Soyeon greets her chirpily as usual, Iseul greets her back with a smile. “What’s this….” Soyeon picks up a box that was placed in front of her locker. She leans on her locker and opens the red velvet box, there’s a box of two dozen Ferrero Rocher in it and an envelope ‘Hope you like it -X’ on top of the chocolate box. “Secret admirer?” Iseul looks at the box as Soyeon quickly laughs it off, “Obviously, well, looks like I won’t need to buy these for the week.” Soyeon opens the chocolate box and gives a few to Iseul. “Chocolates?” Soyeon offers her and she laughs as she takes it from her hand, Soyeon seems to be very carefree about the secret admirer thing. The girl probably has a ton of it besides, it’s hard not to like Soyeon. She’s sweet to everyone and really cute, she’s the kind of girl that everyone would want to protect even if you’re a girl too.

“Another chocolate?” Chanyeol comes out of nowhere to take a few from the box, Soyeon throws him a glare but let him as she wants to give some to the others too.

“That’s a lot of chocolate,” Eunji comments while taking some from Soyeon, “I know, as much as I love them. I don’t think I can finish these by my—But that doesn’t mean you can take more than 3, you idiot!” Soyeon hits Sehun who takes more than what she gives him. The others simply laugh at the two and then walk to the classroom together.

“Oh, can Baekhyun sits with you today? I need to talk about something to Chanyeol, pretty pleaseee?” Soyeon asks as they reach their seats, “Yeah, sure. No problem,” she nods as Soyeon tells Baekhyun to move next to Iseul as she takes a seat beside Chanyeol. They begin to talk and the tall male definitely doesn’t agree with whatever she’s talking about.

“What are they talking about?” Iseul asks Baekhyun who just settles his stuffs, “Ah, you remember about something that she needed to talk about with her father on the party last Saturday?” Iseul nods to the question. “Her father wants her to take care of a deal with a Swiss based company. Her family owns a huge construction company, they are one of the companies trusted to expand the DMC and Yeouido area. Chanyeol’s family owns a steel-making company so they do a lot of jobs together, what better way to do than the good old nepotism at its best?” Baekhyun jokes and Iseul laughs at him.

“Sehun there, his family owns a shipping company. Almost every big companies uses his family’s shipping service and his mother have a café chain.” Baekhyun says as the tall male enters the classroom with Kai, “What about Kai?” Iseul asks as she is curious. “Kai’s family owns a heavy industry company, they build things like ships, turbines, generators, and even constructs and manufactures nuclear power plants.” Baekhyun replies. “And Eunji’s family owns a hotel chain?” Iseul half-asking half-assuring her thoughts, “Eunji’s family do a lot of things. They have hotels, supermarkets, bakeries, chemical business, and research centers.” he adds. Iseul nods off and then looks at the male right beside her, “And you do interior designs?” Baekhyun turns to her from his phone and then laughs. “Well, yeah. Kind of? My family works in wireless communication, cybersecurity stuff, architecture, and interior designs. Weird combination, huh?” Baekhyun tilts his head and Iseul does agree it is a weird combination.

“I thought kids like you prefer going to the States. Ivy league and stuff?” Iseul asks him again and Baekhyun nods to that, “Yeah, kind of true. But Eunji wants to hold down the fort as long as she can and Kai isn’t going anywhere without her, so we promised to stuck together until we die. That kind of thing,” Baekhyun recounts the time when the six of them needs to decide where to go for high school in their den.

Eunji doesn’t want to lose her direct authority over her position (also being her grandparents’ favorite granddaughter) and Kai doesn’t want to lose her after her eating disorder phase. As they’ve stuck together since birth, the six tend to cover each other’s back whenever something happen and will not let go one another no matter what happens. Because they always protect one another and keep their own business to themselves, no one outside their circle really feel like they can join the group. Some would feel intimidated, started being petty, or simply feel inadequate when certainly the six never feel that way about other people. Iseul is like a miracle in Han River for them, to have someone outside their circle actually don’t matter hanging out with them and asking them what are they talking about without feeling being left out or intimidated is really something that they’re excited about. Also, the fact that Byun Baekhyun actually interested in someone, is something new to them.

“And you’re also stuck with us for the rest of your life,” Baekhyun adds and right on time the bell rings after he said that, iseul laughs at his remark as the teacher enters the class and the class begins.

 


 

“Don’t touch my salmon, I will kill you before you get to eat it.”

Soyeon fends off Sehun’s chopsticks that are getting closer to her plate, “You can take mine, I don’t like salmons.” Iseul offers her plate towards him and he gladly takes the salmon from her plate.

“You don’t like salmons?” Baekhyun asks Iseul who nods off to Sehun after he thanks her, “I don’t know, I feel like they’re taste funny?” Iseul tilts her head because she’s confused how to describe it. “Funny how?” Chanyeol laughs at her description, “I don’t know, I just feel like they’re funny in my mouth? Now that you mention it, it’s hard to describe.” Iseul realizes she doesn’t have any exact reason to not liking salmon.

It’s half an hour break before the Open Week officially starts with the recital in the auditorium. After the two hours long recital in the auditorium, students are allowed to go to the bazaar while looking at teach clubs’ room also considering their choices. Five minutes before the break is over, Eunji excuses herself to go to the auditorium first because she needs to prepare her performance with the orchestra. She waves them goodbye and goes to the auditorium by herself as Kai hasn’t finish his lunch yet. The cafeteria is way noisier than usual, the Open Week probably excited for everyone especially new students like Iseul in the school.

“I’ll take you to every food stall in the bazaar, they have every single snack you could think about. Oh gosh, I can’t wait for the bazaar more than the recital,” Soyeon says excitedly, from what Iseul seen, Soyeon seems to be the type who loves to each anything at any time. Sehun also has the same traits, sometimes Iseul wonders how the cousin could resemble a lot. Not long after that the bell rings, signing that everyone has to go to the auditorium to watch the recital first.

As everyone are going to the auditorium, the hallway is crowded with a lot of people. Some students take their time to go to their locker and chatting up with the others halfway to the auditorium. Iseul keeps talking with Soyeon as they walk to the auditorium and try not to be separated on the way although it’ll be impossible to get lost as they have both Chanyeol and Sehun in their group. The two towers can find anyone and anything quickly because they’re literally towering other people.

They finally reach the auditorium and take a seat in the middle, Iseul and Soyeon sit between the boys with Chanyeol sitting near the aisle because it would be rude for him to sit in the middle. The students keep chatting until the lights are dimmed and their principal goes up to the stage. The principal seems to be in her 40’s and iseul knows that she was a student in Hansaem as Baekhyun mentioned before, she sounds nice but she has a stern look. It’s either she’s actually really nice or just trying to sound friendly for school functions like these.

After a couple speeches, the orchestra finally goes to the stage and play for half an hour ranging from classical songs to pop songs that has been arranged. Eunji sits on the second row in the middle of the orchestra and looks very concentrated during her performance. The orchestra isn’t the only performance, there are also modern dance club, ballet, cheerleaders, band club, even modelling club which Iseul is unfamiliar of. The club describes itself to teach dinning etiquettes, how to walk on runway, and posing.

“That’s the club that was pushed during junior high school and continued to high school when Kim Sungryung’s daughter attended this school,” Soyeon whispers to Iseul as the member of the club walks on the stage and posing with their clothes. “Ahh, I see….” Iseul nods off while looking at the students, they do look talented and fit for the model world. The male students who join the club also seems to be fitting for Iseul, “They tried to cast these boys but they’re too lazy to do it.” Soyeon adds and Iseul raises her brows at the revelations. Soyeon quickly nods to tell her she’s not lying, Baekhyun seems to catch what they’re talking about.

“I do hope you don’t put fun ideas to Iseul’s head with rumors,” Baekhyun leans over to make sure both girls hear what he says but the two just laugh. “But it’s true! You guys were scouted to the club,” Soyeon defends herself but Baekhyun shakes his head as if he’s done with Soyeon’s lies before going back to sit properly on his seat.

“Jiyoung joined the club on eight grade because I may or may not have spread some rumors that Baekhyun was joining the club.” Iseul looks at Soyeon in disbelief and female right beside her just keep laughing at the memory, “Oh God, you didn’t!” but Soyeon keep nodding while trying not to laugh it all out because she certainly doesn’t want to attract people’s attention. Although Sehun keeps throwing her some looks and even knocks her head to shut her off. “So, she joined modelling for a year while still trying to catch a glimpse of Baekhyun in the swimming club. I swear, that’s the most enjoyable thing during eight grade.” Soyeon recounts the whole things in her head while still giggling with Iseul.

The presentation in the auditorium only covers several clubs as most have to be done outside the auditorium. By noon, the whole presentation in the auditorium is finished and the principal let them to go to the bazaar as it is actually time for them to go home while the other presentation can be seen tomorrow. Soyeon claps excitedly as she can’t wait to devour everything they can find in the bazaar. A couple minutes later, Eunji comes with her cello case on her shoulder. Kai stands up and voluntarily takes the cello from her as he leads the group to leave the auditorium.

“Are the foods really that good? Soyeon can’t shut up about it,” Iseul asks Baekhyun who walks by her side, he laughs at her statement but then Soyeon really can’t stop talking about the food stalls in the bazaar for the whole morning. “When does Min Soyeon doesn’t like food? She and Sehun are foodies, they hunt foods not clothes. But I have to admit that the food stalls are really great. The churros, corndogs, and curly fries are my favorite.” Baekhyun says as they are walking to the field to see the bazaar.

The bazaar is really crowded, almost all of the students are in the bazaar enjoying the foods. “Come on!” Soyeon pulls Iseul to hunt the foods with her. Iseul decides to try the corndogs and curly fries that Baekhyun mentioned before, they manage to regroup and sit on the stairs leading to the field.

“Don’t you guys ever go home directly if we’re told that we can go home?” Iseul mentions as she sees that the field are filled with students enjoying the foods and talking with their friends.

“Yeah, but different stalls will be here tomorrow so you won’t get to see these tomorrow. There will be a whole bunch of other stalls and most of us don’t want to miss those.” Chanyeol answers while opening a can of soda, “Really? Different food stalls?” Chanyeol nods to the question. Iseul then nods off while eating her corndog, “It’s delicious, right?” Soyeon who sits right beside her asks while putting aside her churros cup to eat the hot dog she bought. Iseul chews the food and then nods to her.

“Can you please stop giving me mushrooms and tell them that you don’t like it instead?” Kai looks at Eunji who still taking out the mushrooms from her food to his cup of odeng.

“You can just leave them,” Eunji raises her eyebrows at him and Kai tilts his head, “Why don’t you leave it on your plate?” Kai challenges her but she throws him some looks.

“Because I don’t want to,” she simply says and Kai sighs but then continue to eat his food.

Their interaction sometimes confuses Iseul, Eunji is definitely not the kind of person who shows her affection in public, if not at all. But her boyfriend doesn’t seem to be bothered by that and sometimes even let her win on the weirdest argument.

“By the way, we haven’t finished our argument, Mr. Park Chanyeol.” Soyeon turns to iseul’s left where Chanyeol sits. The tall male turns to her, “What? I thought I gave you my piece and that’s the only thing you need from me, you never told me I should help you to find the way out.” he shrugs and somehow his yoda-like ears also move along. “Well, I need your version of way out.” Soyeon tells him, “The plan is unsustainable, I don’t know what should I tell you. You should go with plan C instead,” Chanyeol shrugs while keep eating his food.

“Unsustainable? You want to talk about a sustainability of a plan? YOU? Remember about the whole New York fiasco?” Soyeon throws him some glares and the giant male looks at her, “Hey, New York wasn’t really my fault! Not entirely I mean, it was very unlike me.” he tried to defend himself but Soyeon is already laughing.

“What’s with New York?” Iseul curiously asks her, “Chanyeol did something stupid about a deal in New Year last year.” Baekhyun answers as he hears her questions. Iseul looks up as Baekhyun sits a stair higher than her but she still confuses, “The big boss said New York so my mind instantly thinks about New York City not the State, long story short I almost made a deal with the mayor not the governor who’s the intended client is.” Chanyeol elaborate about the whole fiasco and Iseul laughs alongside the others.

“But he’s right, you should go with C.” Baekhyun comments as he puts aside his soda can and Soyeon nods along, “Well, Byun Baekhyun said that so I shall go along with it,” Soyeon thanks him. “Anyone wants to buy some more?” Baekhyun stands up and brushes off some dust on his pants, “Can you get me some sausages?” Soyeon raises her hand. “Oh, me too!” Sehun also says, “You want anything else?” Baekhyun turns his attention to Iseul. “I’ll just come with you,” she stands up and they walk down the stairs to go to the food stalls.

“What else do you recommend beside the three that you mentioned before?” Iseul asks after she gets herself the churros, “Follow me,” Baekhyun nods with his head after taking the sausages for Sehun and Soyeon. He leads her to a food stall that sell cookies and other sweet delicacies, “This food stall gives you one fortune cookie every time you buy something.” Baekhyun says as they’re waiting for a group of girls to buy their foods. “Let me guess, you guys love to do the fortune cookies?” iseul raises her brows and the male laughs at her guessing, “It’s fun, besides they have a delicious chocolate lava Nutella cookie.” he adds. Iseul simply tilting her head to the side to throw him some suspicion but Baekhyun simply laughing.

It’s their turn to buy and both ordered the same thing, the chocolate lava Nutella cookie that’s obviously the best seller as they put a huge star beside it on the menu.

“Here’s your change and your fortune cookie,” the cashier says to Iseul and she thanks her, Baekhyun looks at her and iseul just laughs as they put down the foods they have while waiting for their cookies. Iseul cracks her fortune cookie open and pulls out the paper in it.

‘There is great love in your future

 


 

“You guys aren’t going to hang out in the den?” Iseul asks Baekhyun after Chanyeol bids them goodbye and leaving her with Baekhyun, Sehun, and Soyeon.

“Nope, got to work on a couple things but Kai and Eunji probably are heading there. You can go if you want to,” Soyeon answers but Iseul just shakes her head, “Not in the mood for third wheeling,” she adds and they all laugh. “Taking the bus?” Baekhyun asks her and she nods, “Got to pick up my sister first and no, you don’t have to come along because your ride’s here.” Baekhyun quickly laughs as his intention is clearly busted by her.

Sehun looks at the two and then let out a smile while glancing at Soyeon who just shrugs along. “Got to do better next time, huh?” Baekhyun blurts out and Iseul only laughs at him, “I’m sure we can work on it, see you guys tomorrow!” she bids her goodbye as she walks to the bus stop outside the school. Soyeon waves back at her and then turns to Baekhyun who still looking at the girl leaving the school ground.

“That was….. smooth?” Soyeon comments at their interaction, “Smooth as baby bums, jeez. In a week?” Sehun raises his brows at Baekhyun. “It’s just a conversation that we always do, chill.” Baekhyun shakes his head at the two’s reaction, “Yeah, between us, your friends from diapers. Not with a girl who’s totally nice and pretty but you just know and kind of spent almost 24 hours with on last Saturday but that’s not my point.” Soyeon groans at Baekhyun’s denial.

“See you guys tomorrow,” Baekhyun keeps walking to his car that has been waiting, leaving the cousins alone. “He’s definitely into her,” Sehun comments and Soyeon nods along. “If he’s not, I’d join modelling for a year.” Soyeon quips, “I’d go bald,” Sehun adds.

 


 

Iseul gets off the bus and walks to her neighborhood. As it’s only one in the afternoon, she gets to pick up her sister from her kindergarten instead of her grandmother’s house nearby. She walks up to the colorful gate and sees a few kids still playing on the school’s yard.

“Unnie!”

Yiseo runs towards Iseul, attacking her for a hug. The older sister laughs as she picks the younger girl from the ground. “Did you have fun at school today?” Yiseo nods excitedly to the question, “Ah, you’re here Iseul.” a female teacher approaches them and Iseul smiles at her. “Hello Ms. Han,” the teacher smiles at her. “Got home early today?” the teacher asks, “Yeah, there’s a bazaar at school so we all get to go home early. Did she behave well today, miss?” Iseul asks while looking at Yiseo who then looks at her teacher. “Of course, our Yiseo never cries or fight with the others, right honey?” Ms. Han smiles gently at the younger girl.

“Grab your bags, unnie will cook your lunch today, okay?” Iseul mutters to Yiseo who nods and then left her sister’s embrace to get her things.

“How have you been? Taking care your sister while growing up yourself isn’t easy, I know that.” Ms. Han asks after Yiseo leaves them, Iseul looks at Yiseo who runs to get her things and then smiles at the teacher.

“It was hard at first but now I’m getting used to it. Does she still cry during nap time, miss?” Iseul carefully asks and the teacher shakes her head. “I think she’s doing okay because you and your father definitely gives her enough love that makes her doesn’t feel like losing anything at all.” the teacher replies with admiration towards the high school student.

A few moments later the little girl comes back with her bag and coat, “See you tomorrow Yiseo-ah!” Ms. Han chirpily says as she waves at them. “Bye-bye Miss Han!” Yiseo waves back at her and then continues to walk with Iseul while holding hands.

Last year, Ms. Han told Iseul and her father that Yiseo was crying during the ap time at school. although the little girl doesn’t seem to notice it, she’d wake up with tears strain, not a lot but still can be seen by her and other teachers. The girls might doesn’t even remember she’s crying in her sleep. The pain of losing a mother at such a young age may not be directly seen as Yiseo may not remember what happened surrounding her mother’s death. Iseul and her father try their best to not cry or sad in front of the young girl so that she wouldn’t fall into a longer sadness. They would visit their mom’s gave on several occasion such as their mom’s birthday, mother’s day, new year, Christmas, and her death anniversary.

The two sisters walk for ten minutes before finally reach their home. Iseul helps her sister to take off her shoes and take a bath before cleaning up herself. She then asks Yiseo what kind of snacks she wants to eat while waiting for the dinner. After both of them wash up and change their clothes, they sit in the living room while eating snacks. Yiseo is already busying herself with her coloring book while Iseul simply looking through the recipe book to cook for the dinner. Her dad said that he won’t be late but it’s her turn to cook the dinner while it’s her father’s turn to iron the clothes. She texts several ingredients that they don’t have for the dinner to her dad so that he’d buy it on his way home

Once in a while the younger sister will ask Iseul to color the drawing together and they’d spend hours coloring it while talking about what’s happening for the day.

“I draw a dinosaur today!”

Little trivia like that always make Iseul laughs. Yiseo is very talkative and curious about almost everything. Moreover, she starts to be able to read long sentences so she is becoming very talkative lately.

It’s almost half past six when her father opens the front door and Yiseo squeals at the presence of their dad. She jumps off Iseul’s lap and attack her father with hug, “Hey little pea, how are you today?” Mr. Jung chuckles. “Got the sausage, dad?” Iseul asks and the man raises his left hand that’s holding a plastic bag with the ingredients for dinner. “Thanks dad,” Iseul thanks him as she takes the plastic bag and takes everything out of the bag on the counter top while her dad picks Yiseo up from the floor to his embrace. He asks about how’s school and what has she draw for the day, Yiseo continues to giggles and talks as they sit on the sofa in the living room.

After a while, Mr. Jung let Yiseo to continue her coloring with the cartoon on the TV and he goes to clean up himself before joining Iseul in the kitchen. His oldest daughter is waiting for the stew to be done while frying the sausages.

“So, how was your first Open Week?” her father asks as he takes a glass of water, “Great actually, the foods are amazing.” Iseul replies while stirring the stew. “Yeah, it’s kind of like the main feature of the bazaar. You’ve tried to fortune cookies stall?” he asks her again and Iseul furrows her brows at her father. “Oh, don’t tell me you are a diligent follower of the fortune cookies stall, dad.” her father laughs as he walks to the dining table and begins to set it up for the dinner.

“Everyone loves that stall, it’s fun. The cookies that they sell are actually good,” her father says while getting the chopsticks and the spoons to the dining table, Iseul chuckles as she remembers the fortune cookies message that she got earlier in the day.

 Greater love?

What greater love than the love from her own family? Although it does remind her of a certain someone but it hasn’t even been a month, there’s no way something happens between them.

Or that’s why it says in the future?

Iseul cringes at her own thinking and shakes her head to clear up her mind. Those Netflix chick-flicks must have done something to her brain.

 


 

Helooo~~~~ it's already february lmao how fast time flies, i feel like just yesterday I was wondering what to eat during new year's eve lmao and i knowww this is a crappy chapter:(( I'm kind of lost and confused in the middle:( but hopefully you enjoy this! more update sto come of course~ although classes have started, I still get to write in between, hopefully will be able to write more soon:D dont forget to subscribes and leave your comments down bello~ also, thank you for the upvotess^^ it really means a lot to me:)