three

High School Sweethearts

Iseul finishes packing up and then looks around because she doesn’t see Eunji around since the last period. She closes her locker and then walks up to Soyeon, “Where’s Eunji?” she asks at the girl who’s still closing up her bag.

“Oh, she’s been in the auditorium, preparing for next week’s Open Week.” Soyeon answers and then turns back to her locker to arrange a few books before closing it. “Open Week?” Iseul asks again, “So, next week is the spring recital. Well, more like an event to start the academic year. The clubs’ registration, several performances, bazaar, you know….. Getting to know the school in a real deal, all fun stuff. It’s happening next week in time with the clubs’ registration deadline.” Soyeon explains as they walk together in the hallway.

“Shouldn’t that be on the first week of school, I mean, I’m not complaining.” Soyeon laughs as she hears that but can’t agree more, “Yup, this school is weird. But I won’t complain because it will be a free day, we won’t be having classes and go home early.” Iseul chuckles at Soyeon’s respond and agrees with her. They walk to the auditorium to see Eunji rehearsing, the boys are already there, sitting in the middle row.

“Hey,”

Both wave at the boys who tell them to sit next to them, the auditorium is huge. Iseul looks around and sees there’s another a lower level for the audience as they sit on the balcony area. Eunji is on the stage with the orchestra, rehearsing together. The girl looks very serious and calm, very different with the Eunji during every-day course. There are only several people in the auditorium, probably the event committees and students who also perform for next week’s event. Iseul looks at Kai who sits with several other students in the front row and talking to them while looking at Eunji several times.

“Kai’s performing?” Iseul asks Soyeon who’s talking with Chanyeol over a food, “No, he’s just chatting over there. He’s not officially in the club yet so I don’t think he’s performing next week.” Iseul nods at the answer.

“Eunji’s the only one who get to be scouted, teachers love leaching over her for another raise in the donations. Correction, the headmaster.” Baekhyun says to Iseul because he probably knows why Eunji get to perform although she’s not registered yet. But she can’t deny that Eunji is really good and nobody seems to be bothered by the fact that she’s new to the team.

A couple minutes later, the orchestra finished and people clap for them. While the other musicians start to leave the stage, Eunji stays there, trying to play several notes. She seems to be talking to another orchestra member who points at the second floor, Iseul looks back and see the control room is right at their back.

“This sound is horrible, I can’t hear my cello. Turn me up a little,” Eunji says through the microphone while looking at the second floor, “Sure, I would love to turn you up a little.” a boy’s voice heard and the gang looks back to see Minhyuk in the control room. Eunji tilts her head in annoyance, “Just turn my mic’s up, you psycho FREAK!” everyone stops doing what they are doing to look at Eunji and the control room. Kai shakes his head while Sehun laughs because he’s seen this thousandth times.

“NOT NOW!” Eunji yells at a few students who’s probably taking out several properties for the next performer. Iseul raises her eyebrows, “Sorry Eunji,” the students quickly scramble down the stage while leaving the properties untouched.

“MINHYUK, FIX THIS MICROPHONE BEFORE I MAKE A NECKLACE OUT OF YOUR EARS!”

Eunji yells at Minhyuk in the control room and the boy seems panic trying to fix the sound. Eunji sits back and try her cello until she thinks it’s good enough.

“Take a note, keep that for next week. Don’t make me yell at you in the middle of the performance,” Eunji says to Minhyuk again through the microphone before packing up her cello and leaves the stage.

“It happens a lot?” Soyeon nods at Iseul’s question, Kai and Eunji then approach them as they re-entered the auditorium through the second-floor door. “Let’s go, I’m hungry.” Kai says while taking over the big cello case from Eunji’s shoulder. “Tteokbokki?” Chanyeol offers as they are leaving the auditorium together, “Yeah, sure.” they all nod to the offer.

Iseul walks beside Soyeon but the latter is too busy texting while arguing with Sehun while Chanyeol is talking with Kai in front of them. Eunji doesn’t really talking with anyone but surely throws some words in to her boyfriend’s conversation with the tall boy. Baekhyun walks quite slowly but still catching up behind her, he’s been continuously staring at his phone since they’re in the auditorium earlier. He slightly furrows his brows but then probably realizes that Iseul’s staring at him, he looks up from his phone and decides to put his phone back to his pocket.

“What’s wrong? You’ve been staring at your phone for quite some times.” Iseul asks as he finally walks beside her, “Nah, just some opinion that my brother needs. Are you going home alone again today?” he asks her back. “No, I’m waiting for my dad to finish things up so I’ll just hang out with you guys.” Iseul shakes her head, “So…. It’s been almost a week in Hansaem. What do you think?” Baekhyun asks her. Iseul just realized that the guy is actually taller than what she thinks, probably because the other three guys are too tall that he looks mini when standing between them.

“Aside from the fact that I need to get up earlier than I did because it’s no longer 10 minutes’ walk to the school, I’m adjusting really well, thanks to you guys.” Iseul answers as they exit the school’s front gate. Baekhyun lets out of chuckle at her. “Well, glad that you’re adjusting well. Aren’t you excited for next week? The club finally starts and there’s a lot to see during the Open Week.” he says and she listens to everything he says about next week’s event.

It only takes them five minutes to walk to this auntie’s tteokbokki stall. They take a seat at the longest table and Chanyeol orders for everyone. There’s quite a lot of students in the store, it’s not too big but comfy enough. Iseul knows for sure that they’re regulars here because the auntie seems really happy to see them and greets them joyfully.

“Ah, that’s Iseul. She’s new to the school,” Chanyeol introduces Iseul to the auntie who smiles at her from afar as the tall male helps her to distribute the foods evenly to the table. “Hello auntie,” Iseul smiles at the stall owner, “You can always come here as much as you like, eat as much as you like. The dumplings are a service, as always.” the auntie says to them all who smiles and thanks her.

Baekhyun then begins to tell her that they’ve been coming to the stall since they’re nine or something and somehow become regulars in the store. Iseul can see that as it is rare for her to see Eunji smiles at others other than her friends. They begin to dig in the food while talking about some random stuff in school. Baekhyun asks her about a lot of things such as hobbies and difference between her previous school and Hansaem, Iseul really enjoys talking with him or even the guys in their group of friends. Unlike most of her guy friend back in her old school, they actually more of a listener than a talker but would actively engage in a conversation. She realizes how Baekhyun would pay attention to her and only put his attention on other things in the middle of their talk break. In fact, he actually pays a close attention to anyone he’s talking to and Iseul thinks it’s very nice.

“You hate raisins?” Baekhyun asks her again while they’re talking about foods. Iseul laughs at the question, “It tastes weird, why would anyone like raisins?” Iseul defending herself but Baekhyun still shaking his head at her. “Kind of make sense but it doesn’t taste that bad, you should try it.” he says but she quickly shakes her head at the suggestion.

“Oh, ing hell.”

Everyone looking at Eunji who’s rolling her eyes after reading something from her phone, “What? What is it?” Kai asks her and takes a look at her phone. “Some dumb person put the wrong order on the ornaments and I have to take care of it, jeez. It’s a one-person job, how the hell can he get wrong on that?” she furiously typing something on her phone before calling someone while getting up from the table, “Yeah, you better hope there’s a back-up. Because I’m not having the event with bare ballroom, what were you thinking?” Eunji talks to her phone, clearly scolding someone. After talking for a while, she hangs up and takes her bag.

“You guys are coming right? My house at 5, earlier if you can.” she mentions about her invitation for tomorrow and everyone nods, “Your house?” Iseul asks and the girl nods. “Yeah, my house. I have to go now, bye guys.” she says while carelessly waves her hand at them all. “I better hose her down,” Kai takes out his wallet and goes over to the auntie in the counter, “Bye,” Chanyeol says and the boy just waves fast before catching Eunji up.

“Where’s her house?” Iseul asks the rest who still in the food stall, “Hannam-dong,” Sehun answers. Iseul nods along, “Oh right, it’s your first time. I’ll text you the address,” Soyeon notices iseuls’ confusion. “I can just take you there,” Baekhyun says while gulping down his soda, “What?” Iseul looks at him and he nods. “I’ll pick you up, seriously.” he offers again and Iseul thinks for a while. “That’s a great idea, save the time for getting lost.” Chanyeol agrees with Baekhyun’s offer.

“Well…. I guess it should be okay then, I’ll text you my address.” Baekhyun nods as he agrees, “Oh, shoot. I gotta go, my dad’s finished already. See you guys tomorrow?” Iseul looks at the message from her dad. “Sure, remember, don’t wear green!” Soyeon reminds her and she laughs as she nods, “Bye!” Iseul says as she leaves the food stall.

“Wow,” Sehun says while looking at Baekhyun, “What?” the guy looks at him back and then notices that Chanyeol and Soyeon also looking at him.

“You’re interested in her,” Chanyeol mutters, “I’m helping a friend in need.” Baekhyun shrugs. “Nope, not a friend in need.” Sehun shakes his head, Soyeon looks at him.

“I’m serious, don’t mess with her.” Soyeon looks at Baekhyun who notices that she’s actually serious, “I’m not messing around,” Baekhyun shakes his head. “If any of you messing around with her, I’m going to personally kill you.” Soyeon looks at the other three guy who nods in understanding manner.

“Nope, Byun Baekhyun never messes around.” Chanyeol says and Soyeon turns back at the guy in question, “Yeah, you like her.” Soyeon says while looking at Baekhyun straight in the eyes. Baekhyun casually laughs it out, he shrugs and then stands up leaving the table.

 


 

Iseul looks at her closet to find something to wear tomorrow night, she’s been wondering what to wear. The event is kind of fancy and she doesn’t think she has something to wear to that kind of event. Sighing, she sits on her bed and plays with her phone to let her mind off the dress a bit. She might be on the phone too long that she doesn’t realize her dad enters the room.

“So, what’s with these mess?’ Iseul looks up from her phone to find her dad looks around her bedroom, she’s not usually messy so it is kind of weird to see her clothes laying around on the floor. “Yeah, sorry…. I’m looking for dress to wear, I don’t think I have one.” she puts down her phone and her dad smiles. “I don’t think that’s your problem,” he says while leaning on the door frame, he knows his daughter too well that she can’t really lie to him.

Iseul looks at him before laughing in defeat, “I forgot that you’re my dad,” her dad chuckles to hear her saying it.

“Do you think its weird that they want to be friend with me? I mean…. They’re they.” Iseul wonders and her dad can read her worries behind that tone.

“As far as I know, they are also teenagers. No matter how lavishes their life is, and yes, they don’t really hang out with others, but that’s because nobody ever that brave to approach them. Others feel easily intimidated by them without them doing anything. From my experience teaching them, they’re actually great kids. Eunji, no matter how scary she is, is actually nice and polite to the teachers.” Iseul listens to what her dad says from his perspective, she forgets that he actually a teacher in her school and probably interacted with them before.

“Yea, they’re nice and really informative about a lot of stuff. They are really nice that it scares me…. I don’t know, do I watch too many movies, dad?” her dad laughs at her overthinking, “It’s normal to overthink especially when you’re new to the environment.” Iseul sighs while still trying to decide what to wear.

“But, if you think you’re not comfortable with them, makes some distance. I don’t want you to feel uncomfortable in your group of friends, remember what I always tell you?”

“Love yourself enough to surround yourself with people who respect you.” her father nods at her, “Oh yeah, are you going to sign up for the swimming team?” Iseul nods to the question. “Yeah, I’ll sign up next week during the Open Week.” she adds. Her father nods along, “Well, dinner’s ready. I’ll go get Yiseo and we’ll eat, okay?” Iseul nods as her father leaves her bedroom.

Her dad’s right, there’s nothing to worry about. If she’s uncomfortable with them, she could just step aside from the group. Besides, they’ve been nothing but good and nice to her. She stands up from her bed and finally decides on a dress for tomorrow.

 


 

It’s 3 in the afternoon on Saturday and Iseul is getting ready for the event. She has finished taking a shower and then begin to put a light make up because she doesn’t want to look like a clown. She just texted Baekhyun her address as he is going to pick her up like he said the day before. Iseul is just finishing her make up when her sister shows up on her door, “Unnie, you’re going somewhere?” Yiseo asks while rubbing her eyes. She must have just woken up from her nap time, Iseul smiles at her and tells her to come closer.

“Yes, I’m going to a party.” Iseul putting down her lip tint and turns to her sister, “You look pretty, I want to be pretty like you too.” Yiseo points at her dress and the older girl smiles. “Aw honey, you are pretty, even prettier than me.” Iseul pulls her sister to her lap, Yiseo excitedly touching everything in front of her. “Do you want me to put those on you?” Iseul asks when her sister takes her lip tint, “Can I?” she nods to the question and takes the lip tint from her sister’s little hand.

“Look how pretty you are,” Iseul wants Yiseo to looks at the mirror to see herself, the five years old child giggles after seeing her own reflection in the mirror. “You’re even prettier without make up, Yiseo-ah. Now go find daddy for snacks, unnie has to get ready.” Iseul says and the younger child kisses her cheek before running to find her dad who’s probably downstairs.

Her phone buzzes and a message pop up on the screen.

I’m downstairs but take your time, it’s okay.’

Iseul smiles at the message and shortly replies Baekhyun, luckily, she has finished getting ready and only need to put her on her shoes. She takes her purse and then walks downstairs to see Baekhyun chatting up with her father.

“Yes, the competition might start early this year but nothing’s confirmed yet. I hope to see you compete again for the high school team this year.” her dad says to Baekhyun who’s shyly laugh, “Ah yes, sir. I was hoping I could make it to the team, there’s a lot of great seniors in the team too. I also expect Iseul to compete together” Baekhyun says and her dad agrees with him.

“Hi,” Iseul shows up after wearing her heels, “Wow,” Baekhyun accidentally says it out loud after seeing her. Iseul chuckles and her father smiles at her too, “Thank you for picking her up, it’s very nice of you.” her dad turns to Baekhyun because he knows her daughter is too shy now as she rarely dresses up like this. “Your most welcome, sir. We’re meeting at Eunji’s house and she doesn’t know the place yet, so I’m just trying to help her out.” Baekhyun answers and Mr. Jung nods.

“Well, have fun, not too much fun and be careful.” Iseul nods, “Yes, dad. Don’t worry,” she says to him. ‘I’ll get her home safely, sir.” Baekhyun promises and her dad thanks him. Baekhyun then leads her to his car that’s waiting in front of her house, he opens the door for her and then enters the car from the other side of the car.

“Jungwoo, this is Iseul. Iseul, this is Jungwoo.” Baekhyun introduces the driver to Iseul, “Good afternoon, miss.” Jungwoo curtly nods at her and she greets him back before the car starts to move from her neighborhood

“You look very… beautiful, if I may say.” Baekhyun says and she looks at him, “Well, thank you. I think you look handsome too,” both laughs at the awkwardness of complimenting each other.

“Thank you for the ride, I really appreciate it.” Iseul says and he smiles, “Your welcome, I hope you enjoy the party later. We won’t be long, usually only an hour or two.” he adds. “And if you’re uncomfortable, just say it. Social events always take a toll on everyone, I’ll drive you back home by myself if I have to.” Iseul chuckles at his statement.

“You drive?” she asks, Baekhyun nods to the question. “I’ve been learning to since I was 13 probably, my dad is very excited about it but my mom warns me to never drive by myself before I get my license or she’ll kick my .” he shrugs.

The rest of the ride is filled with the soft jazz playing throughout the car, iseul can hears him humming to the songs or sings a couple lines. He’s actually a good singer and she is kind of surprised with it. the traffic was quite bad, she wonders what time did he get ready because it took quite sometimes from his neighborhood to hers. It took them almost an hour to cross the busy Hannam Bridge and get to Hannam-dong.

“So, does Eunji lives alone?” Iseul starts another conversation as Jungwoo drives to a huge apartment complex, “She does, but this is her house with Kai, they live here during the weekends. Her family house is in Pyeongchang-dong but she mostly stays in Sincheon during weekdays.” Iseul raises her brows and Baekhyun realizes she is confused. “I know, confusing right? Sometimes I don’t get it either,” he shakes his head. Jungwoo pulls up in front of a building where several cars park right outside, “We’re here, let’s go.” Baekhyun says as he gets off from the car.

Jungwoo opens the door for her and she says her thanks as she tries to familiarize herself with the heels that she rarely uses. She’s trying to fix her left heels after being in the car for so long by slightly lifting it up and Baekhyun offers his hand. She grabs his steady arms and gives him a quick nod after she’s done, he simply smiles at her and then lead her to the house.

“Oh good, you’re here.”

Eunji opens the door for them after Baekhyun rings the bell, Eunji is wearing an off-shoulder gold dress with beadings all over its short train. As the star of the event, she looks stunning with her hair simply curled and a crown headband on top of her head. The front doors lead to two stairs, one to the downstair and one for the upstairs. The houseowner escorts them to the downstairs before turning right to what Iseul thinks as the master bedroom and as usual, Baekhyun casually leads Iseul to the left to join the others as he must have been here thousandth times.

“Yo!” Chanyeol greets both Baekhyun and Iseul from the kitchen, he’s eating some fries with Sehun. Soyeon stands up from the sofa and greets Iseul, “Oh my god… I love the color and you look really beautiful in this dress.” Soyeon says while admiring Iseul’s dress. “Thank you, so do you. You look stunning,” Iseul looks at the strapless blue dress that Soyeon’s wearing.

“Zara?”

Eunji shows up while checking her phone, Iseul turns to her. “No…. H&M,” Iseul says and Eunji sighs, “Come with me, I’ll get you some dress.” Eunji says without taking her eyes off her phone. The guys in the kitchen looks at the three, “What? Why? I think she looks pretty in it,” Sehun furrows his brows. “Yeah, I love the color. Come on, lavender is my favorite color.” Soyeon adds to defend Iseul, ‘We’re going to a war so might as well prepping up for it,” Eunji takes her eyes off her phone.

“We’re going to your event, not a war.” Iseul tilts her head but the taller girl shakes her head, “Believe me, as much as you look beautiful in it, you need something to prep you us before we see the whole pack of nasty people.” Iseul can hear Eunji is half pleading for her to agree with her and it is her first time coming to Eunji’s event so she finally just nods.

“Alright, follow me.” Eunji says while leading her to what Iseul thinks as a master bedroom and she’s right. It’s a big bedroom with white and grey interiors, Kai is standing in front of the big mirror while fixing his tie when they enter the room. “Hey, what is it?” Kai asks as Eunji leads Iseul to another room connected by the bathroom in the middle. “Pre-war prep up,” Eunji simply answers and Iseul can hears Kai’s chuckled before Eunji closes the door that leads to the big walk-in closet.

“You do look good in lavender, I think I have one dress….” Eunji scans her entire closet and then stops in front of a glass cabinet. She opens it and takes a lavender sabrina dress out of it. “I think you’ll look great in this, put this on and we’ll see how it fits you,” Eunji says before leaving her to the other part of the closet. Iseul looks at the beautiful and probably expensive gown that Eunji asks her to wear, she’s a bit reluctant but then starts to put it on.

After a couple minutes adjusting herself with the dress, Iseul looks at herself in the mirror. The new dress is much softer in color and beadings all over the dress makes it more elegance. Iseul does notice the tag still attached to the dress but she thinks Eunji is one of those people who doesn’t take their tags off the clothes. She knows it has a better quality than her own dress, it’s a whooping $17,000 Armani dress. It makes her wonder how much is Eunji’s entire closet.

“You look pretty,” Eunji says from across the room, Iseul turns to the dress owner. Eunji leans to one of her closets and then closes it, she might be searching for another dress in case the one that Iseul’s trying out doesn’t fit.

“Feel good?”

Iseul nods, “Yeah, thank you.” she replies with a smile while looking at the dress. Eunji then walks to her dressing table on the left and pulls out a scissor out of the drawer.

“What are—Eunji!”

Iseul shocks to find her cutting of the tags from the dress and then throw it to the bin, “Then you keep it, it just got here from Milan last month but I haven’t thought about using it anywhere. Keep it, don’t return it, you don’t owe me anything.” Eunji pats her shoulders as she walks back to return her scissor back to its place.

“Oh, and…. You have a nice shoulder so show it off, you can pack your dress with that bag and put it in the car until the end of the event.” Eunji says before leaving the room.

Iseul can’t believe she’s actually listening to the right words, Kim Eunji is praising her and giving away her dress just like that. She shakes her head while putting away her dress to the paper bag that Eunji pointed before. She walks out of the walk-in closet and then leave the bedroom, she can hears the others are asking for her in the living room.

“Where is she?”

“What did you do to her?”

“Calm down, I’m not doing anything.”

Iseul can hears Eunjis’ voice and the chatter sound louder as she gets closer, “I just gave her a little…. Help.” Eunji turns to her after she reaches the living room.

Baekhyun puts down his glass and Soyeon quickly approaches her, “Oh my god…..” Chanyeol and Sehun say at the same time. Kai doesn’t say anything but he smiles and then looks at Eunji who shrugs before walking to the kitchen.

“Oh gosh, you have a nice shoulder and your collarbones perfectly pop out like that.” Soyeon compliments her, Iseul herself still trying to adjust herself with the dress.

“Wow, you look amazing.” Baekhyun mutters but Iseul can hear it as he’s standing not far from her, “Well, thank you.” Iseul smiles at him.

“Yeah, you won’t be able to have those collarbones, cousin.” Sehun comments while shrugging and Soyeon throws him some fries on the tablet.

“So, we’re leaving in a bit?” Chanyeol asks the event’s main character in the kitchen, “Yeah, there’s some photo ops before we go in and the traffic to DMC at this hour isn’t helping at all.” Kai answers in place of Eunji who’s still eating her snacks.

“The whole pack will be there?” Sehun asks Eunji who’s rolling her eyes at the question, “Yeah, the whole ghastly politburo….. I wonder how my parents could survive long enough from them.” she shakes her head at the thoughts of her distant family who’ll absolutely be there.

Iseul doesn’t understand why Eunji hates her big family that much but she’s been told that she’d understand after she meet the whole pack later. She takes a seat o the sofa with Soyeon who’s taking a lot of selfies with her, the girl is like the total opposite of Eunji. Soyeon is literally a ball of sunshine and iseul loves her. Sehun says his cousin only interested in trivial things, not so much interested with school subjects and both would quarrel over it. For cousins, they are way too close but Soyeon explains that they basically grew up together even before meeting Eunji and others. Their houses are next to each other and both of their siblings are so much older than them that they don’t have time to play with them.

After eating some snacks and hanging out in Eunji’s living room, they finally prepare to leave to the event venue. Just like how they get there, everyone goes with different cars. Chanyeol and Sehun is playing rock-paper-scissor to see who gets to sit in the front because Chanyeol doesn’t want to be driven alone to the event.

“Oh god, why should I go with them.” Soyeon facepalming herself and Iseul laughs while looking at the two boys who’s competing for the front seat.

“You’ll leave it in the car?” Baekhyun asks Iseul while pointing at the paper bag that she’s holding, she nods as a respond and he takes it from her hand. Before she could protest about it, Baekhyun already gives the bag to Jungwoo who takes it and puts it in the car’s trunk.

“I can put it by myself,” Iseul says to him but he just chuckles. Soyeon looks at the male who walks away to see how the rock-paper-scissor thingy ends for Chanyeol and Sehun.

Iseul can feels stares from the girl right beside her, “What?” she asks Soyeon who just laughs.

“Nothing, just observing.” Soyeon shrugs.

 


 

The event is bigger than what Iseul thought, cameras are everywhere and a lot of reporters want to speak with Eunji. All of the pose up in front of the photobooth in front, the others seem to be used by all the glitz and loud noises of people trying to ask at the same time. Aside from Eunji who’s talking with the reporters, Baekhyun and Kai also briefly talk with the reporters but Baekhyun doesn’t seem the type of person who talks a lot with reporters. He politely ends the conversation before walking back to the group, Soyeon doesn’t talk to anyone but keeps smiling to the cameras, “I swear, my teeth could dry if we stay here any longer!” she mutters to Iseul.

A couple minutes later, Eunji ends her conversation and goes back to the group before they make their way to the lobby.

“Damn, those reporters are mad.” Eunji rolls her eyes, “They keep asking whether I think about my parents or does my design influenced by my mom. What kind of questions was that? Am I eleven years old again?” Eunji scowls as they go through the security check. “Well, those are the only headline worthy news for them.” Soyeon says.

“Are you okay? Too much going on?” Baekhyun asks Iseul as they are escorted to the ballroom, she laughs. “I’m still okay, you should come back by the end of the night with the same question.” Baekhyun grins as he hears her answer. “Right, we haven’t even gone through the ghastly politburo.” Baekhyun quotes Eunji’s nickname for her aunts earlier.

The ballroom is huge, really huge. It is decorated with white and gold colors everywhere, there’s a stage in front and round tables are placed neatly. Each name is assigned to each chair, one table has eight chairs. Most of the guests are already seated in their seat while some still lingering around and talking with other people. There’s a lot of people and somehow Iseul feels thankful that Eunji lends (give) her the dress she’s wearing now because if she came with her original dress, she will doubtlessly underdressed.

Eunji notices a pair who walks towards them, “Game on,” Eunji mutters before she whips her grumpiness off and turns it into a smile.

“Oh, Eunji. It’s really nice to see you after…. Several months,” the lady with a dark green dress moves in for a quick hug and cheeks-kiss, ‘those must be her aunts’ Iseul thought to herself.

“Yes auntie, its been long since you guys moved…. Oh, I mean, restationed in Tokyo.” Iseul swears she can hear the sarcasm in Eunji’s tone, Baekhyun looks at her and nods as if he’s nodding to her thoughts that Eunji is speaking sarcastically with her aunts.

“Yes, yes, Tokyo is good. This is a beautiful hotel, your parents must be proud.” the other aunt in light green dress pats her arm and Eunji laughs, “Fingers crossed,” she says.

“And you’re here with your whole entourage, it’s really nice to see young people stick together like all of you. Oh, there’s a newcomer in the group?” Eunji looks at Iseul who stands right beside Baekhyun, “Ah yes, she’s our friend in high school. This is Jung iseul, aunties. Iseul, these are my aunts.” Iseul smiles as she gets closer to Eunji.

“Nice dress, Valentino?” the one in light green dress looks at Iseul’s dress, the other one also inspects her from head to toe.

“Nope, Armani Prive latest collection.” Eunji butts in and her aunts nod in approval, “Your friend has a great taste and nice posture….” the one in dark green dress unconsciously fixes her own posture. Eunji smiles, “Well, then, see you around?” the other aunt cuts short their conversation and Eunji nods with a smile.

“Those are the people that I want to protect you from, they’re like…. trolls. Horrible, horrible people. They only care about what you wear and how you eat, they are that low as a human. So materialistic, gosh.” Eunji rolls her eyes.

“Well, thank you for the dress, if it weren’t for you, I probably only bring you shame.” Iseul says but Eunji shakes her heads, “No, there’s no shame in wearing anything, they’re just low people and I’m just trying to save you from their harsh and pretentious comments. You’re our friend,” Iseul smiles at the answer.

“Aw, that’s so cute of you.” Soyeon comments at Eunji, “Well, congratulations, you just entered the law of the jungle.” Chanyeol jests as the other laughs along.

“Oh shoot, my war has just started.” Soyeon stops laughing as she sees someone, an old man with clean black tuxedo with an aide beside him walks towards them.

“Congratulations on the hotel opening, this is truly amazing.” the man offers his hand towards Eunji who take it and they shake their hands, “Thank you uncle, I can’t believe you’re here. I thought Soyeon said you’d be in London for most of the season,” the old man laughs. “Well, I was in London, but I wouldn’t miss my best friends’ daughter hotel opening.” Eunji smiles as she nods at him, “Father,” Soyeon bows a bit towards the man.

“Good, you’re here. How are you?” surprisingly there’s no affection or anything between the father and daughter, “I’m fine, how are you father? Where’s mom?” Soyeon looks around. “She’s staying in London but she told me she misses you and would like you to come over soon.” Soyeon nods to the answer, “And my sisters….?” she looks around because she doesn’t find her sister as well. “They’re making scenes back at company so I sent them off.” Iseul can see a bit of pride in Soyeon’s face after hearing her father’s answer.

“Well, if you’re staying in town, I would like to discuss about the Swiss deal.” her father nods in approval. “My study after the party?” Soyeon nods to the offer, “Yes, sir.” then her father waves goodbye and then goes to other guests.

“See? I just won my war,” boasts Soyeon excitedly, Iseul tilts her head in confusion. “She hates her sisters and her father’s approval mean she’s his favorite child at the moment.” Baekhyun fills in, “To be clear, my sisters are dumb es. I mean, yes, my father is a horrible father and could never get into the nomination for father of the year but I’m feeding off that man’s wealth. So, I should stay be the favorite one until I got my name on everything I’m entitled for.” Soyeon defends herself and put a little context for Iseul.

“We have such a strange idea of family, aren’t we?” Sehun says to Iseul, “Not every family is perfect. That’s normal,” she shakes her head.

Throughout the night, Iseul learns that Sehun is very close with her brother but distances himself from his parents, Chanyeol is close with his whole family, Kai is close with his older sisters but rarely see his parents because they’re rarely at home, and Baekhyun gets his cheeky personality from his father who is very friendly to all of them even her whom he doesn’t know yet. Iseul also just realizes that Eunji’s grandparents are the old couple she sees a lot in the school’s hall of fame near the administrator’s office. Her grandfather doesn’t seem to be very old and her grandmother are very warm to others.

They are seated in a special round table that reserved for them only, six people, instead of eight. Eunji gives a brief speech for opening the party when she thanks a lot of people, “Also my best friend, Baekhyun, for the beautiful and detailed interior design and the whole team from Privè who under his lead made these beautiful interiors.” everyone claps as Baekhyun stands up and then bows to other attendees before sitting down on his chair.

“Wow, interior designs?” Iseul half-whisperingly asks Baekhyun who sits right next to her, he sheepishly smiles as he nods to the question.

“I didn’t know you can draw,” she adds but he quickly shakes his head, “My brother is better at drawing than me, I’m simply better in imagining things.” Iseul raises her brows at him in disbelief but he just chuckles.

As Eunji finishes her speech, the MC takes over and then proceeds with several other speech from other important individuals. After almost half an hour, the grand opening is officially started with cake cutting and ceremonial ribbon cutting. Everybody claps and the MC announces special performances by an orchestra to accompany the night until their desserts are served.

The dinner itself is a full course banquet where the waiters serve each table, unlike any other wedding occasion that Iseul usually goes to where the dinner is served buffet-style.

“Cheers for three years in high school,” Kai raises his glass, “Cheers for more sanity,” Soyeon adds and they all laugh together.

 


 

“So, how are you now? Still okay?” Baekhyun asks Iseul after their desserts are served on the table, Iseul looks up from her chocolate mousse. She tilts her head while rolling her eyes as if she’s thinking but he knows she’s just teasing, “Surprisingly fine,” she quips and he laughs along.

Baekhyun would tells her or fills her in with information such as who’s currently speaking on the stage, who’s talking with Eunji, what are they eating, or even trivial things such as where he gets inspiration for the ceiling art he uses for the ballroom’s ceilings. He is surprisingly very informative and never leave her out of a conversation, although none of them left her out but more like talking about things that she doesn’t know yet.

“Oh, shut up. You two only argues about foods,” Chanyeol says to Sehun and Soyeon, ”What?” Iseul laughs at the statement.

“You both argue over samgyetang and selleongtang, bubble tea and milkshake, sundae and tteokboki, what else do we have…. Oh, steak and samgyeopsal during your birthday last year, miss Soyeon. Don’t say you guys only argue over important things.” Chanyeol raises his fingers to make quotation marks.

“Hey, food is important!” Soyeon defends herself and her cousin, “Yeah, what else more important than food?” Sehun shakes his head.

“Yeah yeah, whatever.” Baekhyun snickers at the statement and Iseul can’t stop laughing, “Oh, shut up. You two argues over Battleground!” Sehun raises his brows at Chanyeol and Baekhyun who shrug at the accusation.

“And I’m more mature than the three of you combine, admit it.” Kai comments rises some arguments among the others.

The night continues with constant accusations and battle who’s more stupid than who (mostly among the boys) while Soyeon throw some defense when Chanyeol attacks her and Eunji throws some sarcastic comments.

“She’s taller than you,” Sehun says to Soyeon while looking at Iseul, “I’m only saying I’m not short, I didn’t say I’m taller than Iseul.” Soyeon says.

“I am taller than you,” Iseul jumps in and Sehun lets out a victory laugh, “Oh, not you joining the bully squad.” Soyeon sighs but Chanyeol already offers his hand to high five with Iseul which Iseul accepts. “You’re the shortest one, Soyeon. Admit it,” Eunji says and the short girl rolls her eyes while finishing off her drink.

The event continues until a little bit after 10 PM, the MC closes off and all the important people including Eunji do some photo ops on the stage. The guests also slowly dispersing as the night wears off, Eunji also asks them to come up and they take a lot of pictures especially the girls as Soyeon insisted on it. Baekhyun and Sehun prefer taking the photos than joining them but the other two males manage to nudge them to join the group photos.

“You’re going home with him?” Soyeon asks Iseul who nods, “I mean, I’d take you home but I have to see my father back at home so I am a little bit in rush. See you on Monday?” Soyeon adds before shoving her phone back to her purse.

“That’s okay, yeah of course see you on Monday.” Iseul smiles at her, Soyeon then kick Sehun’s leg and tell him to go home with her. Sehun nods before taking Chanyeol with them and says goodbye to the others as their car already waiting in front of the lobby. Eunji is finishing up a few words with the general manager of the hotel while Iseul texts her dad that she’s coming home soon.

“How was tonight? Fun?” Eunji asks Iseul as they walk to the lobby and waiting for their car, “Yeah, it’s an amazing event. Congratulations on the new hotel opening,” Iseul says and Eunji just chuckles. Kai and Baekhyun are talking about something while following them from behind, “I guess this is a first for many more to come?” Eunji looks at Iseul and she laughs as she nods along. “Well, you’re kind of my friend now. You have to stick with us,” Eunji shrugs.

A couple minutes later, three black Mercedes arrive in front of the lobby. “See you on Monday!” Kai says to both Baekhyun and Iseul as he and his girlfriend get in to the second car. Iseul waves at them and watch the cars drive away. Not along after that, Baekhyun’s car pulls up and he let her to get into the car first.

Iseul unconsciously rubs her feet that still using the hells together and yawns a little, “Tired?” Baekhyun asks her as Jungwoo drives away from the hotel complex. Iseul turns to him before laughing, “Yeah, aren’t you?” she asks him back who then laughs.

“Yeah, social functions are tiring. Hey, you don’t mind stopping somewhere? I need to get my supply for the night first,” Baekhyun asks her and she shakes her head, “Jungwoo, the usual please.” the driver nods his head while continuing to drive. Both Baekhyun and Iseul drown themselves with their own phone, Soyeon posts a lot of pictures on her Instagram and sends a lot of pictures that she took with her phone to their group chat. She can definitely hear Frank Sinatra through the radio playing and filling the silence in the car. Baekhyun seems to be the type who loves jazz, the playlist played on the car are mostly jazz songs.

“So, what kind of supply do you need?” Iseul asks after done scrolling around her social media, “Coccaine,” Baekhyun answers absent-mindedly and for a moment Iseul regrets asking him. But he turns to her and see her flustered face, “Oh my god, you don’t think I’m actually do drugs, aren’t you?” he puts away his phone and a sign of relief shows through her expression.

“You got me,” Iseul sighs and Baekhyun laughs at her, “What makes you think I do drugs? Do I look like a druggie?” Baekhyun asks her again and she just shakes her head. “I mean, you have the money to buy them so it doesn’t seem impossible. Come on, who’d think Macaulay Culkin would do drugs after Home Alone?” Iseul shrugs. Baekhyun is amazed by how she’s thinking, “You really are something,” he shakes his head.

Without Iseul notices, Jungwoo actually pulls over to a McDonald drive-thru. “Well, if you count McNugget and McFlurry as drugs then yes, I am consuming drugs.” he says before rolling down his window to order. “Do you want anything?” he asks her before speaking to the speaker for ordering, “Nope, I’m full enough.” Iseul shakes her head. He nods before ordering the foods, “Hi, can I get 10 pcs of McNugget, large french fries, Oreo McFlurry, and 1 BigMac set please?” Baekhyun orders and then they are asked to go to the window to take his orders.

“You still have rooms left for all of those?” Iseul asks Baekhyun when Jungwoo slowly drive following the car right in front of them, “The BigMac isn’t for me, it’s for Jungwoo.” Baekhyun shakes his head while opening his wallet. “Still, 10 pcs nuggets and large French fries. Damn, boys do have a different metabolism.” Baekhyun laughs at her statement and it is their turn to get their orders. He pays for their orders and put everything on the seat between him and Iseul. Jungwoo then drives away and they head to Iseul’s home.

“You sure you don’t want some?” Iseul shakes her head, “Don’t tell me you and Eunji are the same. She doesn’t eat anything after 7 pm except for social functions,” he asks her and she frowns at the revelation. “What? Eunji does that?” Baekhyun nods as he carefully put Jungwoo’s coke on the drink holder.

“She is very sensitive about her weight when she’s fine the way she is, please don’t do that. You’re already beautiful and swimmers need energy to burn in the pool.” Baekhyun says and Iseul looks at him for a while, it is rare to find boys who do pay attention to the trend happening in the girls’ world. Baekhyun may seems doesn’t really interested in anything, he doesn’t even have the energy to put up with Chanyeol photogenic energy. He seems approachable yet not at the same time, Iseul doesn’t know how to describe it.

“Well, my dad would kill me if I don’t finish all the foods on the table and yes, swimmers do need calories to burn in the pool.” Iseul agrees to what he says, “Glad to hear it because I’ve seen Eunji almost destroy herself. Kai barely got the energy to make her eat, it’s… heartbreaking.” Baekhyun mutters the last word as if he doesn’t want Iseul to hear it but she can clearly hear it.

The rest of the journey filled with the music from the playlist and they finally arrive at her neighborhood, Iseul doesn’t expect Baekhyun to get off from the car too but he does. He opens the trunk of the car and takes the paper bag that has her dress in it.

“Thank you for the ride, you really are a gentleman.” Iseul says as she stands in font of her driveway, he chuckles at the statement. “It’s really nice to spend Saturday night with you, we should go on dates sometimes.” Baekhyun says as if he says that often, Iseul raises her brows and he laughs at her reaction. “Well, you have to do better than that to ask me for a date.” she plays along with him, Baekhyun still laughing and then ruffles her hair.

“Good night,” he says before walking back to the car but still waiting for her to get into the house, iseul opens her front door and then waves her hand at him. He smiles before getting into the car and Jungwoo drives away.

Iseul slowly closes the door as she knows that her father and Yiseo already fell asleep. She tips toing with her heels on her right hand and the other hand holding to her purse and paper bag. She walks up to her bedroom and then sat on her bed, she lays back and then remembers all the exchange she does with Baekhyun throughout the night. Only then she realizes that the boy actually sticks with her throughout the event and even tells her information that she doesn’t know yet, kind of filling her with details that she needs to know. She puts her hand on where he ruffled her hair before, she chuckles at the thought of him.

“Damn it, I need to clean up.” she sits up and begins to take off her make up and make sure that the dress neatly hanging in front of her closet. She needs to think about how she’ll put it later but all she needs is sleep as the event wears her off. Social functions do take a toll.

 


hellooo~~~! sorry it took me sooo long to update this chapeter because i'm not sure how to cut it into two chapters lmao i'm soooo stupid. I hope you enjoy this chapter and do leave me some comments bellow! Your comments always made my day:) Have a belated new year and I hope 2021 is the year where all of our hopes come true after the ty 2020~!