fourteen

High School Sweethearts

“Seriously?”

“Yeah, of course, out of the question.”

Iseul laughs at Baekhyun’s answer to Sehun, the latter asks her boyfriend whether he’ll choose Iseul over him if he has to choose a member for a medley or relay and there’s only one spot left in the team.

“Dude!” Sehun acts as if he’s shocked and hurt, Baekhyun rolls his eyes. Sehun certainly gets all the dramatic effect from hanging out too much with Soyeon.

“You hate relay, you never say yes to that ever since we start going to competition and I am the one who has to say yes because every time the coach asked, you said no.” Baekhyun throws some looks at the slightly taller male who just nods along.

“Oh God, I feel like I’m a child of divorce or something.” Iseul comments on their interaction as Baekhyun taps his student card for them to enter the swimming pool building.

“You’ll have to endure more of this, I think I’ve caught Soyeon’s dramatic side over the break or something.” Sehun quips as they walk to the locker rooms.

“See you later,” Baekhyun says to Iseul as he pushes Sehun to the male locker room, Iseul shakes her head as she greets a few students who are already there.

“Hey, great time on the relay yesterday!”

One of the grade 11th says to Iseul as she opens her locker to change into her swimsuit, Iseul thanks her and they’re engaged in a conversation. Iseul, Baekhyun, and Sehun are officially inducted as part of the school’s swimming team. They’re three of the chosen six 10th graders and have been practising more often besides their usual club schedule on Fridays. Everyone in the team has been so nice to them and excited for the season ahead. The coaches have a few competitions lined up already, Iseul can’t wait to get back on competitions. She enjoys being in the swimming team since her early days because she can train together and correct her mistakes by learning from others. She doesn’t really have any plan to take it up professionally or nationally because all these competitions are the things that she enjoys doing.

“I thought you’d go easy on Baekhyun, apparently boyfriend doesn’t have a free pass then?”

Iseul laughs at the mention of her going against his team during the mixed relay practice, “There should be no pass, especially for boyfriends or girlfriends.” she says. Everyone laughs along at the remark and goes on to say how competitive both with each other are. Iseul doesn’t even realize how competitive Baekhyun is until they went up against each other and even though his team ended up winning, Iseul’s team was leading with four seconds margin before Baekhyun caught up on his turn.

Sehun, who wasn’t joining any relay practice because he doesn’t like relays, claps his hand at the end of their practice before saying how they’d probably never fight over other things other than relay swimming. One of the juniors then mentioned that there are two couples in the senior team and how opposite both couples are.

“One was extremely competitive against each other and they’d voluntarily sign up for different relay teams because they like how it is while the other one enjoys single racing more than anything and would pick each other over their techniques,”

Most of the girls who already finished changing their clothes stay to listen or add some information as well, Iseul continues to listen to the stories while locking her locker after making sure she gets her google and cap ready.

“Wasn’t there another couple that like, broke up in the middle of the season or something?”

Everyone looks to the other side of the room where Jiyoung and her friends are, Iseul tilts her head at the information. “And the girl then decided to quit the team, you should be careful then.” Jiyoung sneers as she leaves the locker room.

“That’s true but the guy is an who cheats several times before Eunbi-unnie called it quit and decided not to swim anymore. Bottom line, ignore her, Jiyoung and her friends have this kind of reputation and I think you already know what I mean.” one of the girls says to Iseul, “Well, good luck to her.” Iseul shrugs before laughing with them.

 


 

Iseul is tidying up her desk in the computer lab as the bell rings which means they’re done for the day. Baekhyun is laughing at something that Chanyeol says while helping her to pick her thick textbook out of habit, something that Iseul continuously told him not to do because “I still have my arms” but he always do it out of habit and she just let him do it

“He casually dropped it during a casual business email like what the hell am I supposed to do on that?” Chanyeol still telling his stories about his girlfriend’s brother aka Baekhyun’s cousin told him about what kind of proposal his younger sister would like in an email.

“Ignore him, Minhyuk loves to tease others that way. How did you think Minhee got proposed to at Disneyland Paris if he doesn’t bring it up to Minhee’s current husband?” Baekhyun laughs as they’re walking out of the lab with the others.

“Who planned a proposal for themselves?” Eunji furrows at the thought, “You don’t have one?” Iseul asks her who then shakes her head. “Nah, I don’t care about the how, I’m more interested in the who so I don’t really care.” Eunji shrugs and Kai just laughs at the answer. “She told me countless times that she doesn’t care about the how, I could just ask her while we’re asleep and she said she’d say yes.” Kai quips in only to get a slight punch on his stomach from his girlfriend.

“Oh, we’re totally the opposite. I don’t really care about the who, I care about the how, good luck to whoever that is.” Soyeon chortles her imaginary proposal in her head as they’re walking into the hallway to get their stuff from the locker. “Don’t tell me it’s the wintery Dolomites,” Sehun fires away Soyeon’s imagination and the girl quickly throws him a glare.

“Oh it is,” Sehun raises his brows at her to tease his cousin, “ you cuz,” Soyeon hit his back with her book and the boy whines in pain.

“How about you? Any particular request on that sector?” Baehyun asks Iseul who laughs at the question, “To be honest I forgot about that part, I planned my college, not that part.” Iseul shakes her head while laughing but she can read Baekhyun’s expression on that and playfully push his face away to look to the other side. “What? I’m just asking like the others,” Baekhyun turns his head back to her but she just shakes her head at his defence. “It doesn’t mean I’m easy to sway though, you have to outdo yourself.” Iseul teases him back but makes sure that he’s the only one who can hear it, “Oh, challenge accepted on that.” he whispers before giving her textbook and walking away to his locker. Iseul laughs at him before opening her locker.

“I’ve never seen Byun Baekhyun so smitten with someone my whole life, it’s like watching an eclipse or something.” Eunji comments as she’s putting away her textbooks and making sure everyone’ perfectly lines up in her locker, “Well, I’ve never been smitten about someone as well before.” Iseul replies to that comment while tidying something in her locker and then paused to take a look at a piece of paper. “I know, that’s why I love you both.” Eunji says as she closes her locker and put her bag on her arm, Iseul also closes her locker and then just smiles.

“How long has Chanyeol been with Yunhee?” Iseul asks out of curiosity, “Five? Not as long as me and that punk but still, Yunhee’s older sister got engaged early on just because they wanted to but she has been with her then-boyfriend for 5 or 6 years as well.” Eunji tries to remember. “Yeah, Minhyuk just enjoys adding spice to someone else’s love life except his own. He and Baekhyun are the same, they’re carbon copies of each other but now Baekhyun has you, Minhyuk needs to add spices to his younger sister’s love life.” Soyeon adds as she locks her locker.

“He was actually thinking of becoming a priest at some point in his life but my aunt says a big fat no because all of her siblings are either priests or nuns. It’s gonna be hard to beat God,” Baekhyun recalls some family dinner conversation they had a few years ago.

“I thought you’re the one who’s becoming one at some point in your life,” Chanyeol jests at Baekhyun while picking up his backpack.

“What? Do I look like someone who read the bible every day?” Baekhyun furrows his brows at that statement, “Nah, but you do look like someone who’d choose to be a hermit.” Sehun adds which earns laughter from the others.

Eunji and Kai part way with them because they said they have some things to settle while Chanyeol needs some refreshing after the intense email exchange from the night before so he tags along Sehun and Soyeon who says they’re going to the den.

“See you tomorrow,” Iseul bids goodbye to them with Baekhyun walking next to her to the bus stop, they’re picking up Yiseo from the kindergarten because her father needs to finish some exam scoring at school. Soyeon keeps waving at her before Sehun pushes his cousin to the idling car, Chanyeol shakes his head before entering the front passenger seat. Iseul and Baekhyun walk hand in hand to the bus stop as usual.

“The first competition is up in two weeks, you’re ready?” iseul brings up the compeititon talk as they’re waiting for the bus along with a couple students, “Seeing how competitive you are during practice, I think I might look forward to it the most other than seeing others in the competition.” Baekhyun leans toward her as she let out a chuckle. “One should be more competitive when facing their partner, I think that’s a rule.” Baekhyun rolls his eyes playfully at her reply. Talking about the club reminds Iseul of something she keeps seeing in her locker for the past few days.

“Can I ask?” Baekhyun nods in response, Iseul looks around for a while before finally speaking. “What makes Jiyoung and or her friends kind of…. Obsessed with you? Like, did something happen or they’re really just that crazy?" she asks, lowering her voice at the mention of the subject, doesn’t want to be heard gossiping about the girl who is openly still obsessed with her boyfriend.

Baekhyun tilts his head for a moment before answering her question, “Our names start with different alphabets, the only time I ever been in the same group as she was during elementary school I think because most of the time I’d spent it with Kai and the others. What Soyeon said about her following me and the others to our club activities is true but we never have direct contact like being in a group or things like that, the only conversation we ever do are the kind of conversation you’ve been seeing.” he says while also racking his brain looking for any other details he might miss in the back of his mind.

Iseul nods along to that, connecting the dots in her head. “So, long story short, she’s….. nuts?” Iseul deduces and Baekhyun lets out a laugh as he nods to that conclusion, “Yeah, what’s wrong? Did she or they do something to you?” he grows concerned at the sudden question because Iseul rarely talks about Jiyoung and her shenanigans. Iseul doesn’t even seem affected by anything that maniac tries and would laugh it out with them. Iseul just smiles as she shakes her head, “Nothing, it’s just that she’s so persistent and keeps throwing shade at me or making weird remarks. Counting on what I’ve heard from Soyeon, it’s been going on for so long, one could only wonder why.” Iseul explains.

Baekhyun keeps looking at her to see what she’s actually thinking and Iseul can feel it, she puts her left hand on his face to keep his attention somewhere else.

“But you’ll tell me the second she’s crossing the line, okay? The line between obsessed and criminal is very thin,” Baekhyun wants to make sure that she’s really okay and she nods to that. He doesn’t look away but Iseul laughs as the bus approaches the bus stop. She takes his hand as they’re waiting for any exiting passengers and then turns towards him, “It’s okay Baek, I’ll definitely tell you when something comes up.”

 


 

Iseul doesn’t really lie but she doesn’t want to bring up countless anonymous post-its slipped to her locker, both the one in the hallway and her swimming locker. It’s not really harmful at first, just random crazy scribble like ‘weird ’ or ‘you don’t deserve him’ kind of notes that she could just brush them off easily. It’s been almost a month now so the post-its are piling up in her bedroom. At first, she doesn’t put her suspicion on anyone because, by the time it starts, she’s been with Baekhyun for almost three months. If it’s Baekhyun-related, it should have started earlier. Well, that’s what she thought.

‘ up ’

Iseul looks at the one she just find earlier, she definitely knows whom to blame for this one but she doesn’t really have proof and there’s no way she guards her own locker 24/7. She’s all about letting people idolise her boyfriend but this is just too far and not something that she’d accept. She shakes her head and then puts it in a box where the other post-its are. She doesn’t let that control her mood, it’s not elementary school anymore and these ‘people’ definitely don’t know her that well. Some anon notes won’t put her down that easily.

“Good luck weirdos,”

She mutters before closing the box and leaving her bedroom to see whether the pasta she’s boiling is ready or not. She looks over the couch where Yiseo is still asleep, Baekhyun accompanies them for a while before Iseul tells him to go home because it’d be too late for him to arrive home if he stays any longer and Seoul’s traffic isn’t exactly pleasant. Baekhyun definitely grows on Yiseo, the little girl won’t let him stay still whenever he comes over and would ask him to play with her which he enjoys as well. Iseul smiles as she turns her attention back to her pasta.

“Hey, sweetheart,”

Iseul hears her father calls her as he entered the house, “Bad traffic?” she asks as she turns off the stove after making sure that the pasta is done.

“Yeah, plus some roadblocks around the highway, it’s hell.” Iseul laughs at her father’s answer, he then looks at the sleeping Yiseo on the couch.

“Baekhyun was here?” Iseul nods to the question, “Yeah, Yiseo enjoys his company more than I get to. Good thing she manages to get her nap time,” her father laughs at it.

“How’s the swimming team going on? Saw some great lines up for the year, ready for the annual Incheon competition?” her father proceed to ask about the club as usual, “Yup, and I might be on the team relay for now because the 2nd years are good in individuals. The coach wants the first year to learn but not sit on the bench so we might be in relays for a couple of competitions.” Iseul then goes on to talk about some of her new teammates, she’s been observing them well for the past few months and she loves to talk about it with her father. Her father has always been supportive of whatever his daughters want to do and since he teaches most of the students in Iseul’s swimming club, he likes to give insight into what they’re good at and what kind of people they are.

Iseul keeps talking while finishing the dinner preparation with her father listening to her and setting up the table. She always enjoys this kind of moment when she could just talk about anything to her father who would turn to become her friend rather than a dad in this kind of conversation.

“So, no easy pass to Baekhyun as your boyfriend then?” Mr Seo teases his daughter as he sets the plate for the three of them, Iseul laughs at that while moving the huge bowl of pasta to the dining table with her father bringing along the creamy sauce she made earlier.

“Nah, I should fight even harder than usual. Business before pleasure, dad.”

“Oy!”

Mr Seo is in disbelief at what he just heard but then laughs it off together with Iseul, “You better wake her up and we’ll eat afterwards,” Iseul nods to the suggestion as she unties her apron and then goes to the still asleep Yiseo on the couch.

 


 

Iseul opens her locker to put her bag and get the books she needs for the first class ready, there are only a few people in the hallway as it’s still quite early. Baekhyun has arrived earlier but he’s going to the restroom so she’ll wait for him in the class.

A piece of yellow paper falls to the floor and Iseul picks it up.

‘’

She turns to look at her surrounding and then put the post-it in her backpack, not wanting anyone to know yet. If this is the game they’re playing, she’d gladly play along.

 


A/N: I FEEL SO GUILTYY FOR ABANDONING THIS FIC FOR SOOOO LONGG:((( but trust me, I just cant find the right time and the right way for this chapter to be written aka writer's block for a while. I'll try to wrap everything in 2-3 chapters because this isn't even supposed to go on this long but I can't just cramped everything, I feel like I'm rushing when I do that. welcome to new readersss and thank you for coming^^ I know not a lot of people are going on aff nowadays but this site is still my safe place. i hope you enjoy this and don't forget to leave comments down bello:) see yaaa!