fifteen

High School Sweethearts

“Great job team!”

Everyone in the swimming team claps their hands together after the competition’s over. The 11th grader go home with first and third place in individual numbers while the 10th grader got second for the girls and third place for the boys in relays.

“Nice effort all around, great debuts for the 10th graders and great comebacks for the 11th graders. Congratulations and enjoy your win!”

Coach Im applauds the team as the students clap along and some even whistle for them. A lot of other students also come to support their school’s swimming team, the competition is held in Yongsan and somehow Hansaem’s once again put their name into the spotlight with strong freshmen in their hands. Iseul enjoys her time with the team, getting to know the two other freshmen from another class and they get along pretty well looking at their medal on their first competition. Sehun sits out of the first competition because Coach Im knows he doesn’t enjoy being in a relay team but he’ll get a chance to do the singles in the next competition in a few weeks.

“Hey, great job!”

Baekhyun hugs Iseul only using her right hand and she yelps as he slightly lifts her, “You too, not too shabby I think?” she teases him. Baekhyun playfully rolls his eyes at her, who then pulls away to greet Eunji and the others who come to cheer on them.

“Oh wow….. I mean, I’ve seen you during practices sometimes but, wow……” Soyeon says while clapping her hands for Iseul. “Thank you, everyone did their best, it’s a team effort.” Iseul smiles, “And you, Mr. Byun, are not too shabby for the first competition in high school.” Soyeon looks at Baekhyun who instantly knows she’s teasing him.

“Great stuff, Saetbyul High School was tough,” Sehun comments and Baekhyun nods to that, continuing on explaining the top three teams in his opinion. Iseul also gives some comments and even corrects him on the other swimmers’ names sometimes because she knows Baekhyun isn’t good with names. “Oh wow, you guys compliment each other so much, it feels like Brazil GP 2019 for me.” Kai says and Eunji shakes her head on that, “What? What happened in that race other than Max winning?” Chanyeol asks because he doesn’t remember anything else about the mentioned race. “I got Max-Pierre-splaining the whole trip back to Monaco, I don’t mind it but oh my god this reminded me so much of it.” Kai answers which earns a round of laughter from the others.

“Unnie!!”

Iseul turns around to catch Yiseo throwing herself at her, her father following right behind. “Hey, nice job out there both of you!” he high-fives both Iseul and Baekhyun, “Thank you, sir.” Baekhyun respectfully answers him which earns raised brows from the older male. Iseul just laughs as she picks up her sister, “Did you support me?” Yiseo excitedly nods at the question. “How about oppa? Did you support oppa, Yiseo-ah?” Baekhyun coos at Yiseo who quickly nods her head again.

“Aww, Yiseooo-ah!” Soyeon smiles brightly at the child who returns the smile at her, soon the young girl grabs their attention while Mr Jung talks with both Baekhyun and Iseul about the competition. Baekhyun knows he loves to talk about the competition right after it, even when Iseul doesn’t win. Iseul said that ‘he’s a father but he’s also a coach and sports maniac’ and Iseul doesn’t mind all the constructive comments as well. He never blatantly said she was wrong or criticised her harshly but he always manages to point out what she doesn’t do right and how they could work on that in the future. Baekhyun also hears the comments from Mr Jung diligently, he was close with the coach back in junior high school and even though Iseul’s dad don’t involved with the swimming team itself, he would still come to competitions to support the junior high school team.

“So, final verdict, sir?” Iseul teases her dad’s final comment about her high school debut, Mr Jung pretends to think about it for a while to tease both Iseul and Baekhyun but then breaks into laughter before saying, “Great for a debut, we have other areas to improve along the way.” he says before high fiving the couple.

“Oy, coach Jung!”

A coach from another high school recognizes him, Mr Jung introduces Iseul and Baekhyun before letting the couple go back to their friends as he’s involved in a conversation.

Eunji is holding Yiseo while the others are engaging Yiseo in various conversations, the girl is holding a lollipop that Iseul is familiar with because Soyeon has been eating a lot of those planet-like lollipops she’s currently addicted to.  Yiseo realizes Iseul is back but not showing any sign of wanting to move to Iseul’s embrace, getting quite comfortable with Eunji. “At this rate, she won’t even need me when she gets into elementary school.” Iseul comments while combing through Yiseo’s hair, “Tell me whenever you or your dad need a break, I’d open my doors for this cutie.” Eunji smiles while looking at Yiseo.

“Been curious to ask, where are those coming from anyway?” Baekhyun asks Soyeon while pointing at the identical lollipops that both her and Yiseo currently eating. “A bribery, from my sister’s boyfriend.” everyone nods along before Chanyeol frowns, “Your sister’s what?” he asks followed by the other’s shocked face.

“Hey, I’m just as shocked as you are. But yeah, my oldest sister somehow got a hold of someone who manage to hold off her temperament, ego, and stupidity. Good for her, bad for him, but hey at least I got free lollies. He’s like…. what is he again?” Soyeon nudges Sehun who seems to already know, “FMCG family, third generation and obviously live outside Korea.” Soyeon nods along to the answer. “What’s the bribery for anyway?” Kai asks Soyeon, completely confused, “I don’t know but I bet it’s related to the voting going for or against him, happening in three days but I don’t care anyway, my dad’s the one who’s going to vote. Screw that, I’m hungry.” she leans towards Sehun while her lollipop.

 “You guys coming to the den, right? I’m cooking a whole bazaar and you have to finish it,” Sehun asks Iseul and Baekhyun, “You’re coming?” Baekhyun turns to Iseul who’s about to answer until Mr Jung comes to answer, “Yup, you should go ahead. I’ll take that little girl home, you should have fun.” he said while taking Yiseo from Eunji before quietly thanking her.

“We have a lot of food, sir, you should join as well.” Chanyeol offers but Mr Jung just laughs, “I don’t think you guys are going to enjoy having me around. Go ahead, I’ll be at home with Yiseo.” the older man shakes his head and Iseul let out a chuckle.

 


 

Iseul is sitting at her desk in her bedroom, staring at the pieces of paper she gathers over the course of a few months. The papers are getting more frequent, it’s no longer one piece of paper in the morning but every single time she goes back to her locker as much as just getting something she forgot for the lab. She’s not really affected much but she doesn’t enjoy being trampled down that way either. If someone has anything to say to her, they need to just say it right at her. Why spend all these elaborate tricks just to try to crush her, as far as she’s concerned, it's doing nothing but a good laugh. But she’s not tolerating this, so she needs to call for backup now.

She scrolls through her phone to find the number she’s looking for, “Hey, sorry for bothering you. Can I see you? I need to ask you something,”

After confirming the other person’s location, she put the box into her bag and then leaves home, her dad and Yiseo are currently paying a visit to her aunt on the other side of the town. Iseul excuses herself to stay at home because she told him she has homework (which is true) and she has an essay to work on. They won't be home until past dinner so she has all the time to settle this and craft her own tricks.

Iseul takes the subway for about 2 hours before getting off at her intended station, she takes a cab and finally reaches the right resort she was told to come to.

“Oh my God, you should tell me when you get off at the station. I could have sent someone to get you,” Iseul hears Eunji’s voice as soon as she gets off the cab and thanks the driver.

“It’s not that far anyway, you seem pretty busy yourself. I don’t want to disturb you,” Iseul says as she walks up the stairs, Eunji shakes her head with a smile at Iseul before letting her come inside.

“Kai’s not staying with you?” Iseul asks while looking around, “He’s still on the field, golfing with her dad’s acquaintances.” Iseul nods along to the answer as she takes a seat on the sofa. Eunji studies her face for a while, crossing her arms in the process.

“Is everything okay? Are you okay?”

Iseul just smiles before getting the box out of her bag and putting it on the coffee table in front of her. Eunji tilts her head before opening the box, her eyes widen upon seeing all the papers in it.

“How long has this been going on?” Eunji asks while reading through the papers. “10 weeks, it’s intensifying for the past two. “ Iseul answers her and the girl beside her throws her a scolding look.

“You’ve never said anything to anyone, not even Baekhyun?” Eunji asks again as she puts down the box on her lap. Iseul shakes her head, “It’s that , right?” Iseul just laughs and then shrugs. “That’s where I need your help, can you help me to find out who? Like, we all know who, but I need concrete evidence so when I confront her, she won't have any saying.” Eunji’s worried look turns into a more relaxed expression and then shakes her head.

“You want me to catch the pest,”

“I know that you have a way to find evidence, I don’t want to assume. Never underestimate the power of jealousy and the power of envy to destroy. I want to have all the data before opening my cards,” Iseul quips.

“Gathers all the evidence before shoving it up to your opponent’s , I like that.” Eunji chuckles and Iseul nods, “Can you help me?” Iseul asks her back with the real question.

“Sure, give me a week. I’ll come up with the evidence.” Eunji nods as she puts the box back on the table, “And I won't tell anyone, I’m sure that’s what you wanted.” she continues and Iseul nods. “Please, Baekhyun will freak out and we’ll lose the element of surprise.”

Eunji laughs, “I knew I like you,”

 


 

“Anyone wants anything? I’m craving Subway,” Sehun asks as they get out of the chem lab, “Get me the usual, pleaseeeee……” Soyeon begs while latching herself to his arm. “Have you ever said no to food, cuz? Anyone else? I’m taking orders,” Sehun offers while scrolling his phone. “If I said I’m getting something, you’d want me to pick it up with you, right?” Baekhyun tilts his head and Sehun nods along while still putting his orders in his phone.

“But you’ll get it if I want some as well, right?” Iseul turns to Baekhyun who looks at her in disbelief, “Iseul, you’re the best.” Sehun gives him both thumbs up. “No, but I really want some, and I’ll go get it with him.” Iseul laughs as she lightly slaps her boyfriend’s arm, “Nah, I’ll go get it. Sehun, get me some tuna sandwiches,” Baekhyun taps his friend’s shoulder.

“Talking about tuna, I heard the cafeteria’s serving tuna pasta today. “ Chanyeol says as they’re walking to their locker to put away the chemistry books and get the books for the next subject. “Oohh, I miss that pasta. Damn you, geometry,” Soyeon mutters while opening her locker, Iseul laughs along as she opens her locker. Her attention swiftly shifts to the piece of paper in the corner of her locker. The usual one. Iseul knows whoever put those papers doesn’t have the lock to open her locker so they slip it through the small crack of the locker and it would be on the left corner right in front of her books. Different pieces of paper with similar writings on it.

“Again?” Eunji looks over to Iseul’s locker and the latter nods, talking softly to make sure the others don’t hear her. “I’ll have the answer by next week the latest, don’t worry.” Iseul nods along, “I’m not worried, don’t worry about me.” she says as she locks her locker. “Come on, it’s almost time. Sooner we get over this, the sooner we get to see the foods.” Soyeon approaches them and pushes the two to walk faster.

“Soyeon and food,” Sehun shakes his head as the boys walk behind them, Baekhyun laughs along but then crouches down to tie his shoes. He notices a piece of paper on the floor and then picks it up.

He frowns at the word, stands back up and looks sees Iseul’s name on the locker.  Something clicks in his brain.

“Baek, come on!” Chanyeol calls him to follow along and he nods as she slips the paper to his pocket. He knows who to ask.

 


 

“Can I? Really?”

Baekhyun asks and Iseul just laughs as they walk to her home together, “He’s the one who gives me the idea and I don’t think that’s a bad idea either,” she answers but he looks at the with a teasing look that she knows all too well. “You sure it’s not just you want to spend more time with me?” he raises his brows at her but she laughs at him, “That comes as a factor but it’s all my dad’s idea, go ask him if you don’t believe me.” Iseul says as she opens the front gate.

“Ooh looks it your favorite oppa, Yiseo.” Mr Jung says when the front door opened, unusually no one runs up to greet the couple but Yiseo is laying down on the couch, mumbling her greeting with a fever patch on her forehead.

“Are you going to the junior high school camping, uncle?” Baekhyun asks Mr Jung who’s making something in the kitchen, “Ah, Iseul told you about me wanting to have you stay over? Yeah, but Yiseo’s currently sick so I thought extra help would be good.” Mr Jung explains and Iseul throws a smug look at her boyfriend.

“She wouldn’t want to leave the house so why not ask you to come stay over, I mean, if you don’t have anything planned. That would be great,” Mr Jung scratches his head, feeling as if he’s asking too much.

“No, no, of course, that would be fine sir. I’d be glad to help,” Baekhyun shakes his head, “Alright, you can just come by tomorrow afternoon, no funny business while I’m gone though.” the dad warns the couple who just laugh it off.

The very next day, the day when Mr Jung leaves with the 8th grader for the annual camping, Baekhyun goes to Iseul’s house with his backpack and a duffle bag. He arrives at ten, before Mr Jung even leaves the house. Iseul opens the front door to see a very happy or too-happy Baekhyun grinning widely at her with a small wave.

“Hello there,” Iseul kisses him on his cheek before ushering him to come in, Iseul’s not the type to initiate a move in public but Baekhyun knows her too well that it would be different when they’re just the two of them or at least in a non-public area. He enters the house that he becomes way too familiar with, greeting the man of the house in the kitchen, and cooking something.

“You’re early, I’m making lunch because I won't be making anything for the next 7 days. Japchae and some tofu stew sound good?” Mr Jung asks, “Of course uncle,” Mr Jung gives him his thumbs up before telling Iseul to let Baekhyun settle down in her bedroom because she’d be sleeping with Yiseo in the master bedroom.

“Aw, I wish I can sleep with you too though,” Iseul laughs after he puts down his stuff near her wardrobe, “No funny business, you heard the man. But Yiseo would probably still be fully asleep throughout the day, the real babysitting began on Sunday.” Baekhyun links their hands together, just looking at her with a smile. “I get to spend the whole weekend with you, it’s still a plus.” he gives her a little peck and is about to pull away but Iseul pulls him closer, giving him a fuller kiss before breaking it with a giggle.

“Gosh, I love you much more when we’re alone.” he mutters when their lips still linger on each other, Iseul softly slaps his shoulder and pulls away to lead him to leave the bedroom.

“Yiseo is still sleeping?” Baekhyun asks and Iseul nods as she leads him to the master bedroom on the other side of the hallway. Yiseo is sleeping comfortably in the middle of the king-sized bed, Iseul explains how Yiseo sleeps better with her dad when she’s sick even though her bedroom is right beside the master bedroom. They carefully get on the bed to take a look at Yiseo, feeling the fever. She’s asleep with her fever patch, Iseul takes the thermometer on the bedside table and takes her temperature.

“Is she still running on a high fever?” Baekhyun asks while removing some hair strands from Yiseo’s cheek, the thermometer beeps and they both take a look at it. “37,8 now, not as bad as two days ago, we ran to the nearest hospital that night and thankfully the doctors said she’ll be fine, no serious condition and we just need to watch over her temperature. It’s steadily going down, I think she’s going to be fine by Tuesday or Monday.” Iseul says while putting away the thermometer.

“She’s a bit cranky post fever, so prepare yourself.” Iseul teases Baekhyun who quietly laughs because he doesn’t want to disturb Yiseo, “If I can handle Soyeon and Sehun at the same time for more than a decade, I think I’ll be fine.” he assures her.

 


 

“Do we have any competition this month?”

Iseul asks Baekhyun who’s playing with his phone on the sofa, letting the tv as a background noise. She just finished taking a shower and then joins him as well on the sofa, “Two, on the third and fourth week,” Iseul nods along to that while taking the remote control to look for something to watch. Iseul hums to the answer and comfortably leans towards him with his left arm around her. They just finished their dinner, Yiseo was able to join the dining table as well.  Baekhyun has taken a shower earlier and Iseul takes a shower after bathing Yiseo as well as making sure her sister takes her medicine, the little girl is currently asleep with the temperature steadily going down. Baekhyun is discussing something with his brother over text but Iseul’s shampoo fills his mind so he ended the conversation early.

“So, you’d normally stay in when Yiseo is sick?”

Baekhyun puts down his phone on the table and pulls her closer, “Yeah, thankfully she rarely gets sick like this. I’ve only skipped school once but other than that, nothing. She’s not that cranky when she’s sick either, just got a bit handful after she gets better.” Iseul explains. Baekhyun gently smiles and kisses her hair, “You’re so much cooler than me,” Iseul titters at her boyfriend’s comment, “I have a lot of growing up to do for myself, I don’t get how you basically raise Yiseo as well.” Baekhyun couldn’t express anything except being proud of her.

“Told you it’s teamwork, I’d be lost without my dad either. Good practice though, you’re not so bad yourself.” Iseul chortles and Baekhyun laughs along, “Washing dishes and taking care of a child are two different things, sweetheart.” he responds. “But both need the will to do so not so bad.” she slurs before yawning, “Tired?” he looks at her yawns. She softly nods while resting her head fully on Baekhyun’s shoulder, almost clinging to her boyfriend and he’s not even complaining. He just lets her rest, knowing she doesn’t get much sleep the night before and has been taking care of Yiseo the whole day. “Go sleep, I’ll take you upstairs later.” he whispers to her while lowering the tv volume, “Are you sure? I’m not that light,” Baekhyun chuckles at her ability to joke even when she’s sleepy. “I’m way stronger than you think,” he replies before kissing her forehead and lulling her to sleep.

Iseul quickly falls asleep in Baekhyun’s embrace, his mind travels back to the paper he found a few days ago. He knows for sure the paper was intended for Iseul. He found another one the very next day. He was walking down the hallway to get back to class from the bathroom during physics. No one else was really in the hallway. He stops in front of Iseul’s locker and found a familiar note slipped into the crack of the locker door and he opened it.

You don’t deserve Baekhyun.

He crumpled the paper and put it back in his pocket, he clearly knows whose childish game is it. But he doesn’t want to assume, he needs concrete evidence.

“Baek….” Iseul mutters in her sleep and that takes Baekhyun’s mind off the mysterious paper thing, his smile quickly drawn. He’s never been this crazy over someone, he can’t describe how or why but she captivates him the way no one could ever done to him. He knows Iseul probably won’t tell him yet because she wants to be sure, just like him. Iseul is much stronger than she looks and he trusts her but he just wants her to rely on him a little more. He gathers her in his arms and takes her upstairs to where Yiseo’s currently sleeping which is the master bedroom.

Baekhyun slowly opens the door, peeking Yiseo who’s fast asleep. He smiles as he tries to let Iseul sleeps beside Yiseo and doesn’t forget to drape the blanket over her as well. He smiles and then kisses her good night before leaving the room. When he gets back to Iseul’s room, he walks over to the desk because he catches a familiar yellow sticky note from when he finished his shower earlier but he doesn’t get a chance to look into it as he doesn’t want Iseul to know that he knows about it. The papers are crumpled in an almost transparent box, he opens the box and then takes one of the crumpled papers. He doesn’t know how many more she received, but this is getting out of hand.

 


 

“You’re not surprised, you knew about this.”

Eunji chuckles, “I knew you both suit each other well. Too well to be true,” she says as she gives the paper back to Baekhyun and folds her arms.

“So?” he waits for any answer regarding the paper he found, “I’m setting a perfectly planned stage but it will be more interesting to add more spice, are you in?” she offers her hand to him.

 


A/N: 

HELLOOO EVERYONEE!!! I'M FINALLY BACKKKK

I've been mia for so long I'm sooo sorry, but I've just been really busy with all the internships and exams, just finished one of the biggest if not the biggest exam in my life last Sunday. Went straight to write this crappy chapter I'm so sooryyy but I just want to let u know that I'm not abandoning this and I also know that I dragged this for far toooo long I'm so sorry, I promise this will be over soon! Don't forget to leave a comment and tell me what you think^^

Until next time then