twelve

High School Sweethearts

‘Do you know what did the ocean say to the beach?’

‘What?’

‘Nothing, it just waved’

Iseul can’t help but laughs at Baekhyun’s latest reply, he’s been sending various cheesy pick-up lines or dad jokes here and there. They went on a few dates after their picnic and Baekhyun said that he was going to visit his cousins in Singapore while Iseul’s staying over in Sokcho to see her grandparents.

Baekhyun always text her back and sent a lot of pictures, mostly of food and the view from where he was staying. They keep texting each other, sometimes he calls her when he’s just laying down in his hotel room (and then his brother would come in to shoo him to take a shower or simply greets Iseul before Baekhyun pushes him away).

Iseul has been helping her grandparents in their garden and also going to the beach with her father and Yiseo to enjoy the breeze in the hot summer. Some of her aunts and uncles also visit, talking with some cousins who live in different cities, and trying a new recipe from her grandmother with her aunts. She also keeps in contact with the others as well. Soyeon mostly groans about the workload she has, and calls Iseul at night because she said she’s been spending the day beating her sister’s .

“Oh God, my brain is about to explode by my sister, MY SISTER. For the love of God, one of them just has to make a fuss in the middle of the meeting and you know……”

Iseul chuckles at Soyeon’s venting her heart out on the phone, it amazes her how Soyeon actually let her summer break go by with hundreds of spreadsheets and files around her. Baekhyun told Iseul that Soyeon is actually really good at doing business, just as much as good as Eunji but her father is ‘an ’ sometimes because he wants his children to compete with one another.

That sounds like bad parenting,”

Baekhyun laughs at her statement but couldn’t help to nod at that, “Well, not everyone has great parents. Her family is quite complicated, similar to Eunji, I think that’s why they’re best friends after all. Soyeon is Eunji but much more laid back and clumsy at times.”

Sehun also has been working during the summer, not as hard as Soyeon because he definitely has the time to go on fashion shows or any invitation-only events. He hangs out with some familiar faces like celebrities’ children or even the celebrity themselves, not a shock but still, kind of amazing to see it for Iseul. Chanyeol is having the time of his life in Iceland with lots of photos and currently took a challenge from Kai to try every restaurant in that country. He updates them with some trivial facts he just found out when walking around, listing every single traditional meal he ate in the past couple of hours. Chanyeol’s turning to a travel blogger during the summer break and Iseul thinks that’s funny.

Meanwhile, Kai and Eunji are spending their summer together, they flew out to the Alps and stayed there for the first few weeks of the break. Then they fly to England to hang out with someone called Lando Norris (whom Iseul checked on the internet and happens to be a Formula One driver), golfing in England and then later in the weekend they watched the race in Silverstone. The couple seems to love the sport because they went to Austria as well as France for the next races. Kai seems to be very into the sport, cheering on everyone in every Instagram stories he uploaded. They both hang out with more people who unsurprisingly turn out to be Formula One drivers as well (one is apparently a son of a legend in the sport). Iseul learns a lot more about the sport than she ever did and the tremendous amount of money needed for the sport (and the fact that the kind of access that both of them got cost thousands of euros) is blowing her head.

 


 

“Okay, certainly need to get the sesame oil….”

Iseul mutters to herself while looking for the sesame oil that they ran out of at home. She’s back from Sokcho because her dad is supposed to go back to school to settle the syllabus and several other administrative things a couple of days earlier before the summer break ends. Yiseo’s at home, helping (allegedly) her dad clean the house while Iseul is out buying groceries. She’s looking through bottles of sesame oils when she feels someone creeps toward her.

“Hey,”

Iseul almost slaps the culprit but she recognizes the voice and then turns around to see Baekhyun’s smudge face up close to her.

“YOU!”

Iseul unconsciously raises her voice, earning a couple of looks from several people around them. She quickly apologizes before returning her attention to Baekhyun who’s having the best time of his life creeping her out.

“That’s a nice greeting after a month of not seeing each other,” he quips while Iseul shakes her head, “How did you get here? Don’t tell me any loosey reason like you’re shopping around the neighbourhood either,” Iseul furrows her brows.

“I was going to use that, but okay.” Iseul is in disbelief at this man right in front of her, Baekhyun casually takes a bottle of sesame oil he has seen numerous times at Iseul’s house from the top shelf.

“I went to your house but then Yiseo said you’re out and your dad provided the other details, what else do you need, honey?”

He puts down the bottle after making sure the expiration date is far enough, Iseul just laughs as she let him take the trolley from her. “Just some cereal and milk, you didn’t tell me you’re back.” Iseul checks the list on her phone as she points to the cereal aisle.

“It’s a surprise, darling, Of course, I’m not telling you anything. We’re back yesterday and my mom wants you over as soon as possible, this one right?” Baekhyun takes a box of Yiseo’s favourite chocolate cereal. Iseul nods and then leads him to the milk aisle.

“Oh, I’ve missed your mom. How is she?” Iseul smiles at the mention of his mom, “Yeah, she’s fine. Just a little sunburn because dad forgot to pack the sunblock for the beach on the first day but she’s fine,” Baekhyun takes the milk from her hand and then lets her lead them to the cashiers.

“And you’re supposed to miss me, not my mom.” Baekhyun says as they’re standing in line for the checkout, Iseul turns to her right and then laughs.

“You are five years old,” Iseul still laughing and pushes the cart forward, “Of course, I’ve missed you. My cheek is burning red, thanks to you.” she quickly turns away but Baekhyun is faster than her movement. He wraps his arms around her waist and lets her stand close to him.

“I’ve missed you too,”

He whispers to her ear before pressing a kiss on the back of her head, Iseul swears she can feel all the butterflies around.

They don’t say anything until it’s their turn to check out her groceries, she doesn’t think she has a lot on her list but she’s thankful that Baekhyun is here to help because there’s no way she’s holding both bags by herself.

“Do you need anything else?” Baekhyun asks as they get out of the supermarket with him holding the bigger bag easily in his right hand while his left hand holding her right hand.

“Nope, unless you want something else.” Iseul shakes her head and he nods along, “So, anything new I should know of?” Baekhyun starts a new conversation as they’re walking back to her house. “Nothing new…. Oh! I’ve learnt a new recipe from my grandma and I should say I’m very happy with the result.” Iseul then continues to tell everything she did during the summer. Surely Baekhyun has heard a couple of things she mentions in their texts and calls but he doesn’t mind. He laughs at the story of how her uncle ends up in the mud with her father because of her cousins as they’re right in front of her house.

“Woah, what are you guys talking about? Baekhyun is laughing his off,”

Mr Jung asks as they enter the house together, he’s sitting in the living room after what looks like a tiring cleaning day. “Your adventure with the mud, uncle. That sounds like a real deal,” Baekhyun answers as he put the groceries bag on the countertop.

“Did she tell you that she’s the one who put us through that?”

“NO! I didn’t! Dad, stop telling lies, everyone knows it’s because of you,” Iseul smacks his father’s arm before returning to the kitchen to put the groceries away. Baekhyun laughs and the father-daughter begins the competition of telling him how the accident happened. Iseul countlessly shakes her head at anything that her father says, throwing defences and throwing bombs on him. Baekhyun only laughs listening to the bickering while helping Iseul to put some foods on the top shelf, something that he’s regularly doing for some time now whenever he finds out she’s out buying groceries. Mr Jung initially declines his help because Baekhyun’s technically a guest but the younger male is persistent in doing it so the man of the house can’t really say no to that.

The bickering stop as soon as the sports highlights from last night’s baseball match come, the match that her father missed. Iseul finishes putting the groceries bag away as Baekhyun put the last egg neatly on the top shelf fridge.

“I’m changing my clothes and see what Yiseo’s up to,” Iseul informs him as he closes the fridge, “Okay,” he nods and then she walks up the stairs. Baekhyun looks to where Iseul’s gone and then turns his attention back to her father in the living room, still paying close attention to the television. The younger male contemplating something in his mind, doesn’t even realize that the owner of the house glances at him before saying something.

“What are you thinking, buddy?”

Baekhyun’s thoughts go back to where he is and realizes that he’s caught. He lets out a sheepish laugh before making his way to the living room. Mr Jung nods at the sofa beside him, telling him to take a seat because the older male senses he wants to say something.

“It’s…. Well, I think you know what I’d want to ask now but I really want to say it to you directly, sir.”

Mr Jung turns his attention away from the sports highlights on the television as soon as he hears Baekhyun calls him sir.

“I really like your daughter and I… I would like to ask for your permission to date her if you have no objection.” Baekhyun tries his best to not stumble over his words, he rarely finds it hard to say something but this is something he never does and he’s holding his dear life onto it.

Mr Jung smiles as he lets out a chuckle, “Well, if I ever have an objection, you wouldn’t be here, buddy. I’m not blind, of course, I’ve seen you courting her and I’ve known you for some time. So, go ahead. Just remember that I’m her father and you’d find yourself in a very difficult position if you ever hurt her.”

Mr Jung warns him in the most unserious face he has and Baekhyun is holding back his laughter, “But yeah, I’m not six foot two or something so there’s no way I can scare you.” Baekhyun breaks at that joke. Mr Jung laughs together with him at his own joke, “Take care of her, I trust you on that.” he pats Baekhyun’s shoulder.

 


 

“Oh my God, how did you do this?”

Baekhyun sheepishly smiles as soon as they get to where he sets up the whole picnic stuff complete with the big basket and yellow plaid blanket he stole from his mother’s cabinet. His parents are away for a couple of nights to some events in Busan so he makes the most of it, trying to go ahead with his plan without Mrs Byun’s nosiness (although his brother still manages to on his way out).

“I have my sources….. and people who help me because let me tell you my cooking skill is just as good at ramen level.”

He says as he lets her take a seat first and then takes a seat right in front of her with the basket sitting between them.

“Ah, honesty. That’s good, thought you’d say you did it all by yourself.” Iseul jokes as she takes off her shoulder bag, “Nah, that’s not me and you know that.” Baekhyun shrugs and then looks at her with the softest look he ever gives to anyone. Iseul’s making sure no messages on her phone that she missed during their way to the park.

Baekhyun told her the day before that he’d take her out for a picnic date and she asked him what should she bring but he said not to worry about that and just dress prettily. She decides on a green summer dress with a square neck, her usual white sneakers, and a simple shoulder bag. She doesn’t often wear a dress but there are times she wants to look prettier when walking beside a dashing man named Baekhyun.  He never fails to compliment her whenever it's just the two of them, it doesn’t matter if she just finished gardening at home or just finished their swimming practice. Each of his cheeky lines always makes it to her ear and she can't help but laugh while also hiding her blushes because he’d never let that go. After Baekhyun went back from his holiday, he religiously visits her, takes her to his house, or takes her and Yiseo out (Mr Jung called it a free daycare).

“I could have just gone to your house on my own, you don’t need to get me and then get me home.” Iseul said as he let her to gets off the subway first, he cheekily smile at her.

“Well, it’s different.”

“Different, how?”

“You’re coming to my house means I need to wait to see you while me going to pick you up means I get to see you sooner and we’d have a fun ride from and to your home.” Baekhyun answered as if it was the most logical way to answer something.

Iseul looked at him and then just shook her head at the answer.

Since then, she stops telling him to not come because it would be useless but she has to admit that seeing him waiting for her in the living room does more fun than going to his house to see him because the ride won't be that fun alone. Yiseo gets along with him very well, the toddler even asks for him after her nap time, asking why he couldn’t just stay with them. Iseul still can remember her father’s horrid expression when he heard her youngest daughter asking for Baekhyun instead of him. Iseul tells Baekhyun the next day about that and Baekhyun can't help but laugh at the expense of him getting beaten at board games by Mr Jung.

“Stop staring, the summer already makes me hot and you’re staring not helping me to cool me down at all.”

Baekhyun shakes his head at that statement, her flirt has made its way to match his way of flirting. “Why? Can’t I stare at my girl? She looks beautiful in that summer dress under the scorching hot summer.” he flirts back and he can see the red blush on her cheek.

“Baek,”

“Alright, alright….. I will stop looking at you but you’d have to let me ask this now because I don’t think I can wait until the end of the date.”

Iseul raises her brows at his statement, he then proceeds to open the picnic basket and then takes something out of it.

“Okay…. Here we go,” Iseul still looks amused at the way he conducts himself, the boy takes a deep breath before taking the attention off his hand. She waits for him to say something but instead he just holds her hand with his left hand.

“You look pink with barely controlled glee, Baek.”

“Honey, stop ruining the moment.”

Iseul laughs at their banter, she knows what's about to happen and she can’t control her glee either.

“Can I…. Can I be your boyfriend?”

Baekhyun finally says the words and asks the question.

For a moment, both of them feel the whole worlds stop around them and it’s just the two of them. no one else, just them. Iseul looks at him, can’t seem to hold the laughter at him looking so pink in front of her (due to the weather and their current situation, she’d believe).

“Of course, silly, who’d else be mine if it’s not you?”

“Gosh, you’re better than me at flirting now.”

Both of them laugh at the tension and all the blushing between the two of them, Baekhyun hand still holding her hand and he brings it up to kiss the back of her hand.

“And…. I have this, another souvenir that I may or may not design by myself.” he finally revealed what he has on his other hand. A nice grey box with a heart embroidered on top of it, he lets her to open it and she gasps at the bracelet inside.

“Why—How—Huh?”

Baekhyun just laughs at her reaction because he’s sure he caught her off guard with the gift, “I’ve planned it some time, asking you to be my girlfriend and everything. I just want to give you something that I think would look really pretty on someone as beautiful as you are. So, I asked my cousin in Singapore to do all the stuff, I just gave her some sketches and voila.”

He takes out the rose gold coloured bracelet with a small heart at the end and a carving ‘Chérie amour’ inside it.

Baekhyun puts it on her and she looks at her left arm for a while, “Do you like it?” he asks while putting away the box. She doesn’t answer him right away so he looks at her, afraid that he might have gone overboard but he finds her staring at him back and just like that they forgot that they’re in public or in the middle of the park that she puts her arms around him and just like that they kissed.

He smiles and she can’t help but giggle, parting for what feels like seconds when they’re already breathing hard for air.

“You don’t have to give me anything else, you had me at I love you.”

 


A/N: HELLOOOOOO EVERYONEEEEE!

ahahahah I know I'm a ty author for dragging this for soooo long but man, adulting isn't easy, so is profession study. I'm officially a bachelor of pharmacy but still need to take a year of profession study and my classes started three weeks ago so everything has been sooo busy to prep it up. ALSOO I've been watching formula one AGAIN after like 5 or 6 years not following it (the last time I watch F1, Sebastian is still with ferrari and mick is still in f4 lmao) so imagine my shock to find half of the grid are only 1-4 years older than me. ANYWAY, I also realize this is a ty update buttttt I promise you a longer or better quality update next hehehe 

DONT FORGET TO PRE ORDER XIUMIN'S FIRST SOLO ALBUM AND IDOL PARK CHANYEOL  WILL BE BACK VERY SOON WITH US OMOOOOOO

have a nice day everyone, a bientôt!