two

High School Sweethearts

“Morning,”

Soyeon greets Iseul in the hallway as she opens her locker, Iseul greets back the girl with half braid up on her hair. Eunji waves at the two as she opens her own locker right next to Iseul’s, “So, do you have anything after school?” Soyeon excitedly asks Iseul while leaning on her locker. Iseul shakes her head while putting her bag and taking out some stuffs she’ll need for the classes.

“We’re hanging out after school so if you don’t mind, we would like you to come with us.” Soyeon smiles at Iseul who raises her brows at her, “Well, if you guys don’t mind…?” Iseul answers while glancing at Eunji carefully. “Oh, don’t be ridiculous. Besides, Eunji has something to give to you.” Soyeon tilts her head towards Eunji who just closes her locker. The tall girl with red headband looks at her, “Yeah, I do.” Eunji nods as a response.

“Okay, I’ll just tell my dad to pick up my sister then.” Iseul unlocks her phone to text her father. “You have a sister?” Soyeon ask as they walk to the class together. “Yeah, she’s five years old, going to elementary school next year.” Iseul nods as they settle in their seats. “Aw, she must be cute. I want a little sister,” Soyeon purses her lips and Iseul chuckled, “She’s cute when she’s not pulling your hair or ordering you tp carry her around.” she says and the both of them laugh together. “How about you? You have a sister too if I’m not mistaken, right?” Iseul asks Soyeon back who nods, “Yeah, two older sisters. One is 10 years older than me, the other one is 6 years older than me and boy, they hate me as much as I loathe them.” Soyeon simply shrugs. Iseul clearly amused with her answer, “Why is that? Siblings rivalry?” she asks back and the girl in question just nods along. “Something like that,” Soyeon smiles as she taps Sehun’s back who sits right in front of them.

“How about you Sehun? Do you have any siblings?” Iseul asks as the tall male takes a box of cookies from Soyeon, “Yeah, an older brother. He’s 4 years older than me, in fact all of us has siblings except Eunji.” Sehun nods towards the girl who looks up from her phone to look at them as she hears what they’re talking about. “Yeah, in fact, I have no siblings nor parents.” Eunji adds and Iseul is shock to hear that but Sehun and Soyeon just shake their heads as if it happened a lot of time. Eunji chuckles, “This dude has two older sisters, Chanyeol has one older sister, and Baekhyun has one older brother.” Eunji continues while pointing at her friends in order.

“So, only older siblings then? All of you?” Iseul asks again and they all nod to the question, “Yep, everyone except me.” Eunji shrugs as she takes a sip of her drink. “Yeah, don’t mind her. She does that a lot, although it is true, she doesn’t have any siblings.” Kai shakes his head to make tell Iseul it’s a normal conversation.

“Even the no-parents part….?” Iseul asks in lower voice at Soyeon, “You can ask me, it’s okay. My parents’ jet drowned in North Atlantic when I was 11, guess God doesn’t want them to get to London.” Eunji shrugs as if she’s telling a normal story. Iseul widens her eyes, shock with Eunji’s rather carefree attitude talking about it. Baekhyun and Chanyeol shake their head while Kai just sighs, “Guess it happens a lot?” Soyeon and Sehun just nods.

“Anyway, five years old sister? She must be really cute and talkative,” Baekhyun changes the topic while looking at his left where Iseul and Soyeoon sit. Iseul just laughs, “Yeah, sometimes. But she could be the annoying little sister, so much energy, I can’t keep up with her all the time.” Iseul shakes her head at the thought of her active and playful sister. “Aw, I want to have a little sister.” Soyeon purses her lips, “No, you don’t. They’re cute at times, not all the time.” Sehun says as he knows Soyeon better. The girl throws him a look before continues to ask Iseul about her sister until the class starts.

 


 

“Really? That’s very cool of you,”

Baekhyun says to Iseul who’s telling a story on how she’s taking care of her sister when she got sick, “Nah, she just got really close to me because I practically raise her with my dad. By the time she was two and a half years old, my mom got too sick and passed away less than a year after that. I won’t blame her being clingy to me,” Iseul recalled how she took care of Yiseo when their father was out and their mom already hospitalized.

It wasn’t easy for her for sure, but she was so sure that her mom could fight it and comes home. But apparently the leukemia is stronger than what she thought and with each passing day, the lab results aren’t improving much and her mom was suffering through the treatment. Iseul’s graduation from elementary school was the last graduation photo that has all four of them, although her mom was struggling to sit and smile to the camera, it still means a lot to her. But she doesn’t want it to be in the way, her mom said to ‘mourn accordingly and get on with your life’ when she knew her time was limited.

“But I matured a lot through it and realized there’s no point of being sad all the time. That’s not what my mom wants,” Iseul shrugs as she smiles at him, “I can see that,” Baekhyun smiles back. They are walking to the cafeteria for lunch, there’s a lot of students lining up for the foods. “Besides, I get to grow my talent for cooking, something to be grateful for, huh?” Iseul says as she takes a tray for the foods, “You can cook? I mean, cook cook?” Iseul nods to his questions. “Yeah, my mom left a book of recipes and I’ve been learning it.” she adds, “You should try to cook with Sehun or something, he’s also really good at cooking.” Baekhyun suggest as they put the tray to take the rice. “Sehun cooks?” Baekhyun nods as a response before thanking the cafeteria worker. “Yeah, he’s really good at it. We all grew up with his cooks, he’s the reason Eunji installed a fully functioning kitchen in our place.” Baekhyun explains and Iseul tilts her head.

“Ah, there’s this place we used to hang out together after school or during the weekend. That’s where you’ll be going to with us after school,” Baekhyun informs and Iseul nods as she understands what he means. As they already get all the food, they move to the drink stalls.

“Hi Baekhyun,” the two of them turn their head to the owner of the voice, a medium heigh girl with curled hair waves and smiles at Baekhyun but side-eyeing Iseul for a moment. Baekhyun smiles, “Hey, Jiyoung.” he greets her back and is about to continue walking because he thinks she’s just greeting him. “I didn’t see you yesterday, I thought you went overseas.” Iseul can see the fake smile through the girl’s face but she didn’t say anything, “Ah, yeah. There’s a lot of people, of course you might not see me yesterday,” Baekhyun answers her. Jiyoung looks at Iseul who stands right beside Baekhyun, “And who’s this….?” she points her hand fan at Iseul who is confused by the question.

“Ah, this is Jung Iseul. She just transferred here for high school,” Baekhyun explains and Iseul is ready to pull her hand but the other girl doesn’t seem to be wanting anything kind of contact other than brief smile. “I’m Han Jiyoung. Anyway, see you around, Baekhyun?” Jiyoung turns to smile sweetly and the boy who just nods.

“She’s trying to get your attention, Baek.” Iseul quips and Baekhyun just laughs at her remark, “Where are the others?” he looks around to find the others as he takes his drink.

“That’s Eunji,” Iseul points at Eunji who’s lazily mixing her food together, they walk to the table at the same time as a pair of students. Eunji looks up from her food, “NO!” she yells at them and they quickly leave. ‘Man, she really hates other people’ Iseul thinks to herself.

“Hey guys,” Eunji then greets Baekhyun and Iseul who takes a seat at the table, “Where are the others?” Baekhyun asks as there’s no one else other than Eunji in the table.

“Soyeon is lining up, Chanyeol and Kai are doing something in the bathroom and Sehun, there he is.” Eunji points at Sehun who’s walking with a package of fast food in his hand to their table. “Anyone fancy some fries?” Sehun takes out his BigMac for lunch, “How did you get it here?” Iseul asks as Sehun takes a seat next to her. “The administrator office worker loves me, I will never get in trouble for this and…… this.” He takes out a large sized bubble tea and gives the cola to Eunji instead.

“He always manages to slip food, any kind of food, and get away with it.” Baekhyun adds to inform Iseul who now understands that it’s Sehuns habit, “Besides, I’m not eating fish and chips for two consecutive days.” Sehun looks at the menu they’re having in the cafeteria. “Your dinner?” Eunji asks and Sehun nods, Kai and Chanyeol join the table with Soyeon walks in front of them. Kai looks at Sehun with his lunch, “Did you have fish and chips for dinner? What are you, seven?” Kai asks as he takes a seat beside Eunji. Sehun glares at him as the latter takes some fries, “And yet you still take my fries,” Sehun complains but Kai doesn’t seem to care.

“Is that Minhyuk?” Chanyeol looks at a guy sitting a few tables after them, although it is quite hard to spot the said boy, Chanyeol’s height make it easier for him to spot and be spotted. Eunji scowls at his question, Iseul looks at where the rest of the table looking at. Minhyuk is one of the two people trying to take a seat in front of Eunji earlier, “He has a fat crush on Eunji,” Soyeon says to Iseul who is wondering. “Shut up,” Eunji shakes her head in annoyance but Kai laughs along with the others. “He likes your smell and always try to be in a part of every recital even though he knows nothing about orchestra.” Kai shakes his head while keep eating his lunch, “I’m glad it is amusing to you,” Eunji rolled her eyes but her boyfriend just smiles at her.

“Yeah, but she’s not the only one with the fan.” Chanyeol comments while trying to cut through his fish. “Wait, Jiyoung is Baekhyun’s fan then?” Iseul asks at the others and it is Baekhyun’s turn to shakes his head while the others laugh, “Oh, you’ve met her?” Chanyeol turns to Iseul who nods at the question. “She’s more like a …. I don’t know, she has a crush on him since 4th grade or something. Remember the ambassador’s daughter who moved after a year here?” Soyeon asks them all while eating her chips, “Yeah, what’s with that?” Kai still doesn’t get where she’s going at. “She got paired up with Baekhyun for that spring recital something and Jiyoung kind of threw a whole tantrum on her, like, indirectly. It was so stupid, we were like ten or eleven.” Soyeon recounts what happened back in elementary school.

“Ah, no wonder I couldn’t remember that. I became an orphan that year, nothing beats that.” Eunji throws a comment, Iseul can’t help but shakes her head at her comment. “She gives him cookies or breads or anything every Friday, you should wait for Fridays.” Sehun informs Iseul who laughs at the revelation, “Tease me all you want but you still going to eat the cookies anyway,” Baekhyun says to the boys who just laugh because they won’t deny it.

“She never made them, she bought them from Tous Les Jours and yet have the courage to tell you that she made it. What a ,” Eunji scowls and Iseul can’t help but chuckles at the revelation.

“Calm down, lady.” Kai turns to Eunji, the girl rolls her eyes but doesn’t say anything else.

“Anyway, be careful. But I doubt she’ll do anything to you, I mean, you’re our friend and she’s scared of Eunji.” Soyeon adds, Iseul just nods along because she’s met queen bees like Jiyoung back at her old school, so it’s not unfamiliar to her.

“Everybody scared of Eunji, we became friends because we changed our diapers together. Man, if we didn’t, I would have run a mile from her.” Sehun says and Eunji kicks him under the table, “Let’s see if you still can run or not,” Eunji gives him a look but the male simply rolls his eyes at her while finishing off his burger. Iseul finds it amusing how almost everyone scared to talk to Eunji but the other five in this table aren’t even scared to scowl at her. She thinks probably because they’ve spent almost their whole life together so there’s nothing that they should be afraid of from her.

As the lunch break is almost over, Iseul goes to the restroom with Soyeon before they’re going back to the class. “So, you’re not scared of Eunji, right?” Soyeon asks as they’re washing their hands in the restroom, Iseul looks at her and simply smiles. “I don’t think scared is the right word, I mean, she does look intimidating but it’s fun to see how you guys interact and how Kai always manage to tame her.” Soyeon laughs as she can’t agree more with the statement. “Most students scared of us….. I don’t know why, they kind of make this distance, probably because the six of us stick together since we’re babies. But that doesn’t mean we don’t want to be friends with the others,” Soyeon sighs as she drying her hands. Iseul listens carefully to her, “Maybe because they’re scared that they won’t fully be in the group, you know? It does still kind of surreal that you picked me up, but I’m thankful.” Iseul looks at Soyeon who beams at her and hold her arms as they leave the restroom together. “Oh honey, when you’re in our group, you’re in for your whole life,” Soyeon says and Iseul laughs.

 


 

“Apparently, everyone has their own business to do. Sehun is cooking shrimp roll so he needs to buy some ingredients,” Baekhyun says as he and Iseul get off from the bus. They get off from the same stop he got off the bus yesterday, “Wow, shrimp roll. He must be really good at cooking,” Iseul amazes and Baekhyun simply laughs. “Well, his mom is a chef, so I think it’s natural in him.” Baekhyun explains as they get into a building. Iseul looks around and the building seems empty from the lobby, “This is where we hang out and stuff. There’s a lot to do here and more privacy, I think you’ll enjoy it.” he says as he pushes the button for the elevator.

They get off on the 5th floor, Baekhyun enters a passcode for the door, “Welcome,” he lets her to go in first. Iseul steps into the big room that she finds it charming, he puts his bag on the couch as does she. Iseul then continue to look around and he lets her to wander around. She’s going to hang out a lot anyway, might as well as to let her see the room that was never visited by anyone other than him and the other five since the first time they made this room.

“That’s where Sehun cooks, that’s Soyeon’s collection of snacks, that’s where Eunji and Kai would make us drinks, those are Yeol’s guitars, and this is where I lay down waiting for everything.” Baekhyun points out the areas in the room. Iseul laughs as she wanders around Chanyeol’s collection of guitars beside the bookshelves.

“Who plays piano?” Iseul points at the grand piano near the big window. “Chanyeol, Eunji, Soyeon, and me.” Baekhyun answers as he closes the door, “You play piano?” she asks him again and he nods a little. “Not at expert level but I do play lots of pop songs,” he answers as he walks up to the piano, “Any request?” Baekhyun asks as he settles himself on the piano stool. She walks up to the piano, “Impress me,” she says and he lightly chuckles.

He thinks for a while before begin to play a familiar tune with the piano, she closes her eyes and then smiles as she quickly recognizes the song.

“La Vie En Rose,” she calls out the song name and Baekhyun simply nods his head as he continues to play. Iseul looks at him and closes her eyes to enjoy the play, Baekhyun plays for a whole 3 minutes and it ends with Iseul clapping her hands.

“That was beautiful,” she gushes and he rubs his head, “Thank you,” he thanks her. “My mom loves that song, actually that was the song that brought my parents to know each other. She was singing that song during a music class, my father heard her voice, and the rest was history.” Iseul recounts her parents’ story that has been told over and over again but she’s never tired to hear it. “Wow, that’s cool.” Baekhyun comments and she nods, “Yeah, it’s really cool to hear their story, my mom loved to tell me all about it.” Iseul recounts her memories with her late mom.

“Do you play piano?” Baekhyun asks and she tilts her head, “I don’t think so? I mean, I play twinkle-twinkle little star for music class in elementary school but don’t we all?” Baekhyun laughs at her answers and he scootches over. “Come on, I’ll teach you.” he says as he pats the stool beside him. Iseul raises her brows but he just laughs at her reaction. “Come on, I won’t be teaching classical pieces. I’m not very good at it, let’s do something simple.” he suggests as Iseul finally takes a seat right beside him.

“Simple? Is there anything simple for piano?” Baekhyun laughs at her remark, “You’re not wrong but you’ll be surprised how easy some pop songs actually are.” he says. “Fine, what song?” she asks him, “Hmm… Let’s see….” Baekhyun tapping his finger on the piano while thinking of a song.

“Ah, we can learn Let it Go.” he snaps his finger while trying to remembering the song, “Let it Go? Frozen’s Let It Go?” Baekhyun simply nods while standing up. “Yeah, but you should sit on my right. You’ll just need to learn how to play the melody and when you’ve aced that, you can play with both hands.” he says as if it’s the easiest thing to do.

“So…. It should goes like this…” Baekhyun plays the first verse of the song and iseul sits right beside him, amazed by his play.

“You can learn this part,” he plays the melody with his right hand, “Easy right?” he says and she throws him some looks. The boy laughs at the respond so he begins to teach her properly, “So you should….” Iseul listens to him while trying to follow what he instructs her to do.

“Wow, I’m playing a real song.” Iseul says while practicing the first verse of the song, Baekhyun chuckles as he plays along her. “See? I told you, some songs are easy and you just need to try.” he adds, Iseul beams at him as she’s getting good at it.

The door opens and Eunji enters with Kai and Soyeon following from behind, “Where’s the chef?” Kai looks around to look for Sehun while putting his bag on the table.

“Walking with the shrimp, behind you.” Sehun says as he enters the room with Chanyeol following him, “Hey Iseul, comfortable enough?” Chanyeol greets the girl who’s still at the piano with Baekhyun. “Yeah, this place is cool.” Iseul replies, “Thank you, any drink request? Frappe?” Eunji asks as she puts off her blazer. “Anything would be fine, thank you.” Iseul thanks her and the latter girl just nods while walking to the drinking bar.

“I’m cooking shrimp roll, any special request?” Sehun asks as he pulls up his shirt sleeves, “Spicy-sour sauce,” Baekhyun raises his hand as he stops playing the piano. “Got that, Iseul?” Sehun asks while putting everything out of the grocery bag, “Nope,” Iseul shakes her hand and the chef nods as he gets ready to cook.

“Is he teaching you to play piano?” Soyeon asks while munching M&M in her hand, Iseul nods as a respond. “He’s actually really good, I didn’t think you’re the kind of guy who’d play piano.” Baekhyun just laughs at Iseul’s remark. “I taught myself how to play piano for pop songs while the other three I mentioned before actually have ABRSM grade 6.” Iseul looks at Soyeon who simply shrugs, “It’s a family tradition, I need—No, scratch that, I have to pass grade 6.” she shakes her head at the memories for rigorous training for the piano exam.

“I did it for fun,” Chanyeol shrugs as he picks up one of his guitars to play in the sofa, “Yeah, whatever.” Baekhyun says to them. “You guys always hanging out here?” Iseul asks as she and Baekhyun move to the sofa area in the middle of the room, “Yeah, except when Eunji’s nice enough to let us in her house then we’ll be in her house.” Soyeon says while pointing at the said girl in the bar with Kai.

“We have every single seasonal party here. Christmas, easter, thanksgiving, birthdays, new year, anything. All here,” Baekhyun tells Iseul while walking to get his drink, “Get your hands off, that’s not yours, mister.” Eunji says to Baekhyun who was about to take a glass of frappe with whipped cream on top of it. Baekhyun raises his hand to take the other glass. A moments later, Kai and Eunji join the others on the sofa while waiting for Sehun and his food.

“You know, I could use some help here.” Sehun says while putting everything on the air fryer, “Fine, Im coming.” Chanyeol puts down his guitar and then walk to the kitchen to help him.

“So, what is it that you wanted to give me?” Iseul asks while sipping her drink, “Ah yeah, I almost forgot.” Eunji puts down her glass and then looking for her paper bag.

“Here you go,” she gives out the invitations in gold and black color, Iseul opens up and read the invitations. “It’s an invitation to the new hotel that will be opened this Saturday night and I would like to invite you as my friend.” Eunji says while muttering the word friend but the others look at her, “These five idiots are coming anyway, so I just think you might want to come.” Eunji adds and Iseul smiles at her. “Thank you,” she closes the envelope as she smiles at her.

“Oh, don’t wear any green. It’s a…. thing.” Soyeon reminds Iseul, “What? Why?” Iseul asks and Soyeon looks at Eunji to explain.

“Well, my aunts love green…. and they’re nasty people. So, I ask every employee at the hotel to wear green themed clothes, I don’t want you to join the green club.”

They all laugh together, “Oh come on, aunts can’t be that bad. I have my own fair share of nasty aunts too,” iseul says but Eunji rolls her eyes.

“Oh, you haven’t met them. You’ll see,” Baekhyun says while laughing.

“There you go,” Sehun comes with two whole plates of shrimp rolls and Chanyeol following behind with the sauces. “Ooohh yess,” everyone begins to digs in to the food.

“Seriously, all of you kind of surprised me. I didn’t think that you’d be the kind of guy who cooks, and this is delicious,” Iseul says after tasting the food, Sehun smiles as he leans on the sofa to rest while eating the shrimp rolls. “Thanks, well, when you have a mom who’s obsessed with cooking and Gordon Ramsay. This is just kind of grow on you,” Sehun shrugs as the other chuckles at his answer.

“Gordon Ramsay?” Sehun nods at Iseul’s question, “We flew to the States in order to be able to eat at Hell’s Kitchen, listening to the chef shouting and yelling. But the foods were good though,” Sehun recounts his experience in Hell’s Kitchen because of his mom obsession with the show and the chef.

“Why go all the way to the States when you have Kim Eunji who’ll shout and yell at you here?”

Eunji throws a pillow at Chanyeol.

 


 

“You sure you don’t want me to take you home? I could ask him to go to your home first, it’s not a big deal.” Baekhyun asks while he and Iseul walk to the bus stop. “Nah, your home is far from mine and it might be too late by the time you got home, it’s okay. Besides, I’d feel bad if your driver has to drive all the way to Guro to go back here.” Iseul shakes at his request.

Baekhyun looks at her as they reach the bus stop and Iseul can read his expression. “Go home, Byun Baekhyun.” she says and he just laughs, “Fine, be safe. See you tomorrow,” Baekhyun says as her bus is coming. She nods, “See you,” she smiles at him before get on the bus with other people. She waves at him before the bus leaves and he waves back.

A black Audi stops right in front of Baekhyun and he gets on the back seat, “Good afternoon, master.” the driver greets him before starts to drive the car. “Afternoon, did you get me some fries?” Baekhyun asks as the driver pointing at the brown bag right beside him in the front seat, “I have never seen her before, girlfriend?” the driver asks back and Baekhyun just chuckles at the question as he takes the brown bag from the front seat.

“Good aim, Jungwoo.” the driver laughs at Baekhyun’s response, his phone vibrates as a new message comes in.

“Not yet,” Baekhyun adds while looking at his phone.


 

helooo loveliess! kai's mini album is OH MY GOD

i'm still waiting for the the photobook versions to arrive home hehehe anyway, I hope you guys enjoy this screwed chapter:( and I think this would be a short chaptered story, Idk though..... I hope you like it! Feel free to leave your comments:) Thank you