Rumpled

Thief of Words

HANAE- Rumpled

 

That night Dohyun turned and turned in bed, not able to get Minjae's words out of his mind. He didn't even know why it bothered him so much but it did. In the end he got up and worked until early morning.

He wanted to go for a jog and get all those thoughts off his mind but as soon as he stepped out he was met with the courier. He signed for what he believed to be his new printer and went along with his plans. It was when he returned home that he passed by the library. He stopped to regain his breath and looked for her. He finally saw her coming out from the staff room and followed to see where she was going. It wasn't far, she just went and sat on the sofa. At some point she seemed to get annoyed by something because she frowned and looked like she was about to rip the hair off her head. Dohyun chuckled bemusedly, until someone blocked his view.

"Enjoying yourself?"

Dohyun couldn't believe his luck. Minjae was there, blocking him from seeing any bit of the library; he tried but Minjae would move too just so Dohyun wouldn't see Fei. At some point it looked more like a dance across the library and people were staring at them weirdly.

"I can see you from inside the library, you know." Hikaru said crossing the street and coming to them. He looked at Dohyun from head to toe and he had the same scorn as Minjae. "Fei went upstairs."

Dohyun's eyes moved on the building and didn't see any second floor. No matter how much he tried, he just couldn’t see anything.

"It's no visible to humans." Minjae explained. "That's where she lives, it's just a normal apartment. Now come on, be on your merry way!"

Dohyun nodded and jogged away, knowing that he won't get answers from these two men.


However, later on when he came by the library, Fei was right there at the counter. He smiled at her but she didn’t see him. His intention was to ask her more about mythology for now but the two men came quickly and dragged him away to the sofas.

"What do you think you're doing?" Minjae asked with a hiss.

"Me? You two dragged me away mafia style!" Dohyun was too loud because Hikaru covered his mouth.

"Shh, alright. Speak low, we still have customers." He said softer than Minjae.

"You've been suspicious since that day you found out where I live." He mumbled.

"Yeah, well, I just followed you silently." The raven replied leaning back with a bossy attitude.

"You have to understand we're not doing this because we hate you. We just hate your face." Hikaru said a lot more straight forward than Minjae.

"Why? I don't think I ever drew so much jealousy for my face before."

"You cunning little-" Minjae started but Hikaru stopped him quickly with a hit.

"You...well...Fei only fell in love once in her life. You look a lot like that guy so we're naturally worried that, you know, she'll fall for the same face." Hikaru explained making more sense than his co-worker.

"How much can that likeness be?" He asked with a roll of his eyes.

"A lot / Very much." Was the immediate answer.

"The thing is, that is the reason why she is here. She was punished to live in Korea for the rest of her time. She's been alive for a while now and ever since then we had never seen...your face again." Minjae added since he was her longest companion.

"So what you're saying is that what? I'm going to seduce her with my face and get her in trouble?"

The raven and Hikaru nodded with stern expressions. Dohyun laughed out loud getting Fei’s attention.

"You must think very lowly of me then. Just because I resemble that guy doesn't mean I am that guy."

Hikaru leaned very close towards Dohyun with a glare and stared, inspected him thoroughly. Then he leaned back and smiled.

"I believe you."

Minjae stared at Hikaru as if he has grown another head.

"You do?"

"Yeah. Eyes speak a lot more than you think. You were not a king in your previous life."

"Really? Then what was I?" Dohyun asked getting closer to the Japanese guy.

Hikaru's smile turned into a knowing smirk.

"That's prohibited. A human cannot remember his past lives. But I can tell that you only lived once before."

Minjae shook his head at his friend, not believing how easily he was manipulating this boy. It was well known that he couldn't see the past, he was not a deity after all.

"Anyway, can you not make her heart flutter?" Hikaru asked with a warm smile but his eyes were forcing the answer from the young man.

"Or even better, don't show your face around anymore." Minjae said with a scoff.

Dohyun watched the two odd men before he remembered one tiny detail.

"When did you find my address anyway? I don't think I ever saw you around the neighbourhood except here."

Minjae scoffed, finding Dohyun's impertinence annoying. But Hikaru chuckled, finding this human quite brave.

"Weird, because I see you almost every day." Minjae answered as he crossed one leg over the other.

"He's a raven." Came Fei's voice from behind Minjae. The spirit frowned as he felt a very strong hand grasp his shoulder. "Originally, Minjae was just a forest spirit but he was visiting my cottage so often that I ended up giving him the option to be human too."

"Oh, that-have you been watching what I do at home too?" Dohyun asked his tone rising as he glared at the raven.

"Of course not! I only did it once..." he mumbled getting a stupefied expression from the human. "Yeah, well, I better go work. Yes, yes!"

"It's past lunch. Isn't this the time for you to leave on personal business?" Fei asked Minjae while sitting next to Dohyun.

"Ah, right. It is that time." Hikaru commented with a nod.

"What time?" Dohyun asked Fei.

"He's been stalking a woman he likes." Fei answered honestly making Minjae blush profoundly.

"I'm not stalking, I'm just...watching out for her. I see everything from above." He came with a lame excuse. He could see that Fei was taking Dohyun's side and making him feel bad for what he did to the human. "Whatever, I don't need to explain myself to you or anybody else. I'm leaving."

"He's walking away like a big baby." Hikaru commented with a chuckle.

"Don't you have to work too?" Fei asked her employee expectantly.

He narrowed his eyes at her with a pout before he turned to Dohyun.

"Have a nice day" he said and returned to his post at the counter.

Dohyun turned to Fei and noticed that she was dressed in a different outfit than in the morning. She seemed to dress elegantly during the day and she was pretty much in pyjamas with her hair tied in a bun and slippers when doing her supernatural work.

"Forget about what they told you." She started sensing his curiosity. "I have great hearing. They told you about him, right?"

"Your first love was human?"

"Yes. I sung to him and lured him into the forest before eating his soul." She joked but he seemed to take it seriously.

"Really?" He asked shifting in his seat.

"No." She said and laughed. "If anything, he was the one to seduce me."

"Do I resemble him that much?"

Fei sighed and glanced at the counter where Hikaru was probably eavesdropping although he was also talking to customers.

"Yes, in looks. But your personalities are different. You are two different people, just like you said."

"Then...can you really see my past life through my eyes?" He asked leaning really close to her. His eyes were wide as if that would help her see better but Fei laughed loudly.

"No. I don't know what Hikaru told you but Greek deities cannot see the past in your eyes."

Dohyun was bummed. He really wanted to know if he was rich in any of his lives.